HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Ryan Tannehill traded to the Titans
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Ryan Tannehill traded to the Titans
Posted by: colonel ()
Date: March 15, 2019 12:11PM

He's gone. Who is going to be the next QB?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ryan Tannehill traded to the Titans
Posted by: JC ()
Date: March 15, 2019 12:27PM

Don't know, but I'll root for whoever it is.

Stating the obvious here but I suppose we should draft a QB in the first round, trade for a veteran (without breaking the bank) to mentor the draftee, then get a third QB from the waiver wire during training camp.

Best of luck to Ryan--I hope he gets to play behind an offensive line that consistently blocks well.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: March 15, 2019 03:40PM

I'm voting for Bortles.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: March 15, 2019 08:55PM

OMG! I was away from the board for most of the day until Now!

I feel sorry for my fellow Texoman, Ryan Tannehill, who was born and raised only 200 miles from my hometown of Lawton, Oklahoma.

Best of Luck, Ryan.

Maybe the next team will see that you are an option QB and not a pocket QB.

Posted by: Mike8272 ()
Date: March 16, 2019 01:29PM

Good luck to Tannehill. He tried his best for us but unfortunately he wasn't "the guy". More than likely he will get a chance to start for the Titans next season when Marcus Mariota misses another game, but in all likelihood it is probably the end of Tannehill's days as a full time starter. I suspect he will move into the next phase of his career where he will be the backup and stand in starter.

As for who is next for us, well, it depends on what direction we go in. I don't see anyone in the draft worth drafting at 13 unless Dwayne Haskins falls. I wouldn't mind seeing us trade up for Haskins. Rumour has it that the Giants have no interest, and with the Jaguars signing Foles that likely puts them out of the bidding. The big question mark would be teams like Denver, Cincinnati, and Washington. If Haskins makes it past six and seven, I would be picking up the phone to try and move up to eight to select him. I might even try to trade up with the Buccaneers if I felt that strongly about him. For me he looks like he could become a franchise quarterback.

If we don't draft someone then the obvious candidate is Blake Bortles. I guess he could come in here and do a job. Sometimes a change of scenery helps a player, but realistically he is who he is at this point in his career - a poor man's early career Matthew Stafford. Personally of all the veterans out there the one that intrigues me the most is Ryan Fitzpatrick. If we did draft someone on day two (Will Grier, perhaps?) or went with our existing young duo (Falk and Rudock), he could serve as a veteran mentor to those young quarterbacks, and if they aren't ready to start we can start Fitzpatrick until that is the case, or if they are ready to start he can backup them up and be that veteran sound board for them. Either way he has value.

Posted by: pafinfan ()
Date: March 16, 2019 06:16PM

We give:
Tannehill and a 6th (2019)

We get:
7th (2019)
4th (2020)

I understand it was time to get rid of him but this trade seems kind of blah for Miami

Date: March 16, 2019 10:27PM

Agree, PA. Basically we paid THEM to take Ryan off OUR hands.

Date: March 16, 2019 11:46PM

I’d say getting a 4th and 7th in exchange for a 6th and a player we were going to release if we couldn’t trade him is a fair, albeit unspectacular, return.

If any team gave up a day two pick for him I’d be questioning their sanity and ability to run an NFL team. Tannehill is who he is, a mediocre quarterback. I’ve been a defender of his since his rookie year. I own two jerseys with his name on (old logo Nike and anniversary Nike jersey), so I wanted him to succeed as much as anyone. Sadly he didn’t. So the return we got is more than I expected we would because he looked to be a cut candidate.

Only downside is losing the 6th rounder and the 4th rounder isn’t this year, but it’s better than nothing I suppose and the cap savings for next year is going to be significant.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: March 17, 2019 12:54AM

No to Fitzpatrick...he's a guy that could possibly win us 6+ games if a few things turn out better than expected.

We need a guy that can mentor younger players without winning us more than 3 games in the process...I'd prefer Bortles.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: March 17, 2019 07:33AM

pafinfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We give:
> Tannehill and a 6th (2019)
>
> We get:
> 7th (2019)
> 4th (2020)
>
> I understand it was time to get rid of him but
> this trade seems kind of blah for Miami

Don't forget we are paying 5 mil of Tanne's contract. We are indeed paying the Titans to take him off our hands. f/o gotta do what they gotta do to clean up the crap.

Date: March 17, 2019 10:12AM

Ken Wrote:
> No to Fitzpatrick...he's a guy that could possibly
> win us 6+ games if a few things turn out better
> than expected.
>
> We need a guy that can mentor younger players
> without winning us more than 3 games in the
> process...I'd prefer Bortles.

It comes down to the aim of this season.

Are we tanking for the top pick? If so, I'd agree we can't afford to sign a quarterback that can win us games. We might as well go with our two green quarterbacks and hope they don't win us many games.

Are we drafting someone this year to develop like the Chiefs did with Mahomes? If this is the road we go down by drafting Daniel Jones or Drew Lock, or heck Will Grier in the second round, having a veteran like Fitzpatrick (or Josh McCown if released) would be ideal mentors for them because they have shown a willingness to backup up a young quarterback and not cause problems.

Now Blake Bortles is a good shout, but could he win us some games next season? I think he could in the right system. He needs good protection, a good running game, and the freedom to play. It would not be a surprise to see Bortles end up playing well on another team. He is talented, frustrating, but talented.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: March 17, 2019 07:40PM

Well I wish Tannehill all the best he's been a class act through all the drama surrounding this team.

Date: March 18, 2019 02:11PM

THE FRONT OFFICE is the entity that pulled down their pants, squatted, and created that same crap IN THE FIRST PLACE. No way I feel sorry for them, Mizzou.

Date: March 22, 2019 12:49PM

Believe it or not I'm glad he's going as well. Its gotten to the point where as a Dolphins fan I believe Ryan being here didn't serve the team or him well any longer.

I cant post a link here so I'll just quote this from Dolphin Talk's Tyler Sluss: He said it best IMO:

"During Tannehill’s tenure in Miami there we’re 5 different offensive coordinators and none of them lasted longer than 2 years. Let me say that louder for those in the back. 5 OFFENSIVE COORDINATORS IN 7 YEARS! There is no possible way in hell you can develop a young quarterback into a franchise leader with 5 coordinators in 7 years, I don’t care who you are. You want other examples of how rampant coaching turnover equates to incredibly poor performance on the field? Look no further than Cleveland, Buffalo, Oakland, and Tampa.

Ever since I started following football, coaching turnover after a few years has never made sense to me. If you expect to build a championship caliber team, it’s going to take time. Time to get the right players with the proper skill set into positions to succeed. Everyone knows Rome wasn’t built in a day.

Offensive Line

Offensive line was always a huge issue during the Tannehill era. Now, for this half of my argument I’m only looking at the total number of times he was sacked in general. For those that are wondering, it was 248 times in 6 years (he missed all of 2017 due to injury). To address the porous offensive line, the team drafted a total of 5 offensive lineman since Tannehill came into the league. That number does not include Tight Ends or Mike Pouncey since he was drafted in 2011. As for off season free agent signings, Miami signed a total of 8 (I’m sure that number is higher, but I was able to verify at least 8 signings).

That makes a total of at least 13 offensive lineman acquisitions during the Tannehill era and only one is still with the team, Laremy Tunsil. So where is the disconnect with this team and the inability to acquire, develop, and retain offensive line talent? After taking the time to break down the numbers, I’m honestly shocked that Tannehill was able to remain healthy for as long as he did. The best year for him sack-wise was 2016 when he was only sacked 29 times (2.2 times/game), but he only played in 11 games, and his worst year being 2013 for 58 sacks (3.6 times/game).

Conclusion

In my preparation for this article, I spent some time floating around the Miami Dolphins fan pages reading some of the reactions to Tannehill being traded. Like I said in the beginning of the article, the reaction seemed evenly split. Of those that were happy to see RT17 go, it also seemed to me that they were only focusing on the big picture; wins and losses, touchdowns and interceptions. It’s the nature of the beast, though. This league is driven by results and if you’re not producing favorably, you will be replaced.

After looking over all of the numbers I firmly believe Tannehill got a raw deal. He was drafted in hopes of being the franchise quarterback and was held to that standard since day one. Unfortunately, every time he had any resemblance of a solid foundation under him, the proverbial rug was ripped out from underneath him with countless coaching changes and a revolving door of offensive lineman."

Not to mention distractions like Bullygate ,and Brent Grimes and his wife from hell. AND coming out of college with virtually no experience he still put up 4000 yds a season on pure athleticism !
Ryan Tannehill is an incredible athlete and role model...a classy guy to the end. I guarantee you wont ever see him bad mouthing Miami and their crappy fans and I wouldn't blame him 1 bit if he did.

The Titans just became my second favorite team. I wish Ryan all the success in the world and a Superbowl. But its time for us to move on for sure. I've gone on Domestic fight calls and met out with two great people that just were not meant for each other. They should never have been married and its just time to separate and move on.

I just hope we dont pick a bust OR we treat the next QB better. Place them in a position to succeed.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: March 22, 2019 07:44PM

No, Treasure. The problem was that he was an option Quarterback, like Kaepernick, like Cam, and we tried to make him into a Bob Griese.

At Big Springs High School, near Lubbock, he was an option QB/WR. At Texas A & M, he was an option QB, sometimes receiver.

Here, he was forced into the pocket where he stayed, unable to see the whole field while the seconds clock clicked down until he was sacked, while relying on receivers to get open who really couldn't fake out a turtle.

Since we are committed to the traditional pro set (which don't get me wrong I vastly prefer to an option scheme), we had better not draft another Quarterback who is only used to running an option scheme.

Date: March 23, 2019 10:50AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> No, Treasure. The problem was that he was an
> option Quarterback, like Kaepernick, like Cam, and
> we tried to make him into a Bob Griese.
>
> At Big Springs High School, near Lubbock, he was
> an option QB/WR. At Texas A & M, he was an option
> QB, sometimes receiver.
>
> Here, he was forced into the pocket where he
> stayed, unable to see the whole field while the
> seconds clock clicked down until he was sacked,
> while relying on receivers to get open who really
> couldn't fake out a turtle.
>
> Since we are committed to the traditional pro set
> (which don't get me wrong I vastly prefer to an
> option scheme), we had better not draft another
> Quarterback who is only used to running an option
> scheme.

So basically you agree....he wasnt placed in a position to succeed?

Option shoption. You love your labels.

He never had the support, the staff , the players in ANY offense from ANY of the 5 coordinators he had in 7 yrs.

READ AGAIN:

5 coordinators in 7 yrs.

I dont care what offense you run. He was never given the chance to succeed Period.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: March 23, 2019 12:49PM

"Option, shoption"????? I can't believe anyone claiming to know anything about football would say that. It's like saying, in the military, "it doesn't matter whether we send a sharpshooter or a tank, after all, what's the difference?"

Date: March 23, 2019 07:11PM

I'm just sick of you repeating it every 9 sentences. One of the best things about trading Tanny is I dont have to hear you whine about it anymore.

No matter the system.IT DOESNT MATTER.with a new OC every year no one was going to be proficient. He scored 4000 yds on pure athleticism.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: March 23, 2019 08:54PM

So it doesn't matter if they screw up our next QBs career as well by forcing him into a system that is inconsistent with the scheme he has played in all his life????????????????

Doesn't matter to you???

You'll just blame the rest of the team for not winning the game despite the stupidity of the coaching????????

I don't think Ryan would appreciate hearing that.

Date: March 24, 2019 07:36AM

Its amazing how you just continue to hear on what you want. Just remain laser focused on one something and refuse to see the big picture.The real problem.

Even if they played to his strengths every down, without an offensive line and continuity with coaching you cant be successful.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: March 24, 2019 11:56AM

Dan Marino was successful because he had the quickest release in history not because his offensive line gave him hours to release the ball. Ryan on the other hand never played in a pocket before being drafted by the Dolphins. Boy! I thought the only who couldn't get that through their thick heads was our coaches and front office.

Date: March 25, 2019 08:25AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Dan Marino was successful because he had the
> quickest release in history not because his
> offensive line gave him hours to release the ball.
> Ryan on the other hand never played in a pocket
> before being drafted by the Dolphins. Boy! I
> thought the only who couldn't get that through
> their thick heads was our coaches and front
> office.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.........how was Danny's Offensive line? How many coaches did he have in 17 yrs?

Maybe if you stopped comparing Ryan Tannehill to Dan Marino you would appreciate his strengths more.
And no matter who we draft if you continue to do that you will be sorely dissapointed.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 25, 2019 09:13AM

You right tcpf we need not compare marino to tannehill....

Its like comparing a a very expensive diamond......To a piece of crap some cow just threw on the floor.

Date: March 25, 2019 09:17AM

Btw dannys OLine was always great...

In 17 years danny played i guarantee you there were some trashy OLine men who couldnt play for $H!T.

But danny was so great and had such fast release he had them looking like Pro bowlers.

You never heard someone call a player in miamis OLine trashy...

Guarantee you there wasnt just one trashy oline player in dannys oline but quite a few.

Those same Oline players would look like crap with tannehill behind center.

Date: March 25, 2019 11:24AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Btw dannys OLine was always great...
>
> In 17 years danny played i guarantee you there
> were some trashy OLine men who couldnt play for
> $H!T.
>
>
> But danny was so great and had such fast release
> he had them looking like Pro bowlers.
>
> You never heard someone call a player in miamis
> OLine trashy...
>
> Guarantee you there wasnt just one trashy oline
> player in dannys oline but quite a few.
>
> Those same Oline players would look like crap with
> tannehill behind center.

You GUARANTEE Miamis Oline had trashy players back when Dan Played.
Hmmmm. Funny.......THEY WENT TO THE SUPERBOWL THE YEAR BEFORE HE JOINED with the same line IN 82 as well. eye rolling smiley

OK then. So for the future are we looking for a Dan Marino clone then or nothing? You realize

A) We dont have Don Shula anymore
cool smiley DAN MARINO also never won a championship right?

What are you going to do if Tannehill wins a Superbowl in Tennessee?

Here is where Chyrene usually comes in , derails the conversation trying to save you from sounded retarded. Never works.....

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: March 25, 2019 01:48PM

No Sam is beating you like a rug.

The year prior to Dan's rookie year, we went to the SuperBowl with David Woodley who was our worst QB in history. He was a running back playing QB. Still we went to the SB. We've been the playoffs with Tanny, what, once?????

Dan didn't have a Bob Griese like Hall of Fame O line. He had the quickest release in history. He was a pocket QB at Pitt. For the millionth time, Ryan had never played in the pocket before.

So why do you continue to blame Sam and I instead of blaming the front office and owners, you attack us. You are excellent *soldier* material. I've never seen a bigger Uncle *Sam* before in my life. Are you sure that you're not really a pre civil war *soldier* that came here in a time machine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2019 12:38PM by JC.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: March 25, 2019 06:12PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> No Sam is beating you like a rug.
>
> The year prior to Dan's rookie year, we went to
> the SuperBowl with David Woodley who was our worst
> QB in history. He was a running back playing QB.
> Still we went to the SB. We've been the playoffs
> with Tanny, what, once?????
>
> Dan didn't have a Bob Griese like Hall of Fame O
> line. He had the quickest release in history. He
> was a pocket QB at Pitt. For the millionth time,
> Ryan had never played in the pocket before.
>
> So why do you continue to blame Sam and I instead
> of blaming the front office and owners, you attack
> us. You are excellent soldier material. I've never
> seen a bigger Uncle Sam before in my life. Are
> you sure that you're not really a pre civil war
> soldier that came here in a time machine.

XXxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Chyren, you are correct, sorta, about Woodley. What you forgot about is WoodStrock. Don Strock had to go in and save the day. A good example? The OT playoff game vs San Diego. He almost pulled it out. As for Woodley.....remember the Super Bowl? Look up his stats; not so good.

And it is dumb to compare most QBs to Marino; he was one of a kind.

I can (almost) guarantee that if and when Tannehill gets behind a good offensive line, he will show what he is capable of.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2019 12:39PM by JC.

Date: March 25, 2019 07:05PM

I disagree, Cap. The problem is not the Oline but the type of QB Tannehill is. All QBs are NOT alike. That includes Marino AND Greise.

Greise had a great team. Not only did he have a HOF offensive line but he had a great defense as well. But Greise was perhaps history's greatest field general.

Dan had the quickest release in history. He replaced Woodley who lost the SuperBowl because he could not complete a single pass in the 4th quarter. But Marino had no defense. He would have beaten the 49ers at Stanford stadium if we could have forced one punt.

But Tanny's main problem was that his talent is not pocket play. He is an option QB. Wait and see what NON idiots do with him.

Date: March 26, 2019 04:29AM

LOL....Chren he doesnt know any better.

His is in love remember?

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: March 26, 2019 06:48AM

Irrespective of how any of us feels about Tannehill in his time here, I think it will be incredibly interesting to see what a change of scenery does for him. I, for one, am grateful he didn't end up on the Pats, as (as much as I absolutely hate to admit it) they are not run by idiots. Whatever his ceiling is, they could likely get him closest to it most consistently.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.