HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Early Ideas
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Early Ideas
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: February 02, 2019 09:00AM

I agree, mostly, with other analyses I have read here and elsewhere about our team, but I have two ideas that I would like to get your feedback on:

1. Since Charles Harris has failed so completely at DE, and he was a 1st round pick, it is my idea that, if we do go to a primary 3/4 defense , that we try Harris at the OLB position, which he played in college. He doesn't seem to have the bulk to be a DE, but he is certainly quick. I think that if he doesn't need to worry about containing the edge, which he didn't do well, he can use his speed to be the pass rusher that we expected and need. He definitely does have speed.

2. What is your opinion on QB Ryan (groan-another Ryan!) Finley of NC State -6'4" 212? I was impressed by his play at the Senior Bowl. I know that the QB from Duke, Jones, was chosen the MVP, but I thought that when Finley entered the game, the offense really began to show some life- he was 7-of-11 for 83 yards and led his team to two touchdowns, though he didn't throw one. I've read that he's probably a third day pick, so it certainly seems as if he's gettable while still building our lines and from what I saw he's a young signalcaller that might be worth developing. Is he ready to play next year? Probably no more -or less- than Jones or Lock.

What is your opinion of these proposals?

Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Early Ideas
Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: February 03, 2019 05:36AM

1> I have thought the same. I thought Harris had a better 2017 than 2018. Although I prefer a 4/3 D I think our previous staff ran a vanilla version. Not enough stunts and blitz packages to maximize Harris strengths. I have thought about a 3/4 w/ Harris McMillan Alonzo and Butler. Our new DC came from GB who runs a 3/4 but Flores came from a 4/3 in NE. Interesting to see how things play out.

2> I don't like Finley. I live in ACC country and have seen him play.
I started following him in 2016 and thought I was looking at a 1st rnd draft pick. Unfortunately imo he has not elevated his game. You see his stats have elevated but when you watch him play you see the same weakness from 2016. Weak arm which he does not compensate w/ a quick release and accuracy.

I like what Im reading regarding the Phins not drafting a qb high in this draft. My favorite is the kid from Duke but I have issues w/ him. I think Murray is the best but there is only one year of film on him. Haskins might be the best down the road but again only 1 year of film. Im not touching Lock or Grier in rnds 1 or 2.

Saying all of that I would get a qb in rnds 3 or 4(preferably). Rypien, Jackson, Ta'amu, Finley. All have things that they do well but require development. Get one of those guys and develop for a year then bring in another guy in 2020 rnd 1.

Check out film on the kid Jackson qb U of Buffalo. I like his long ball and moxie. He as I said have some kinks that need to be ironed out He probably would be a 1 rounder if he had power 5 coaching.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: February 03, 2019 07:48AM

Thank you for your thoughts!

Rick

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: February 07, 2019 08:52AM

Harris has 3 sacks in 2 years at DE. Hard to imagine he could be much worse at LB. Worth a try.

Posted by: SCPhinsFan ()
Date: February 08, 2019 02:56AM

Harris may be a bust. I'm not 100% convince that our "Wide 9" scheme and overall poor defensive coaching hasn't contributed to poor play.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: February 13, 2019 08:33AM

If we do switch to a 3/4 then Harris has to move to LB. He's really the only DE we have that can. Wake is too old, Quinn doesn't have the skill set and everybody else is strictly 4/3 type guys.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 13, 2019 01:01PM

The problem with drafting linemen, linebackers, corners, and safeties IN THE FIRST ROUND is that

1) you blow the chance to make the best upgrade at the more critical positions of QB, RB, or WR.

2) it is harder being able to transfer their success at those positions from college to pros and that transferability is even more problematic than extrapolating the success of qbs, rbs, and wrs from how they performed in college.

A guy can be a monster offensive lineman, EVEN IN THE BIG TEN, and for those years he would not have even made the best 10 list had he been playing in the BIG EIGHT (or whatever it's called now).

So to me it's silly to draft a lineman or linebacker in the first round. Of course, there will always be historical exceptions but the fact that you can count them on the fingers of one hand proves, not disproves, my point.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: February 13, 2019 10:28PM

I agree for the most part. I think the top 1/2 (generally) of the 1st round is where you swing for the fences for true difference makers. And, in today's NFL, difference makers are QB in a stratosphere of its own...then next-tier positions of difference, which can include receivers & backs, but I think can include CBs/DE/Edge - players most likely to counter offensive firepower. Obviously, there aren't 15 elite-potential QBs, so you move down to the next level of difference makers. A top 16 pick on OL should be head and shoulders above any difference maker available at the pick. Further, I think it's the combination of talent evaluation, talent development, team culture and game-day coaching that maximizes the result of drafted (or otherwise acquired) talent as sort of "raw material".

For example, NE had the following OL per their depth chart:

Trent Brown - 7th round (2015)
Joe Thuney - 3rd round (2016)
David Andrews - undrafted (2015)
Shaq Mason - 4th round (2015)
Marcus Cannon - 5th round (2011)

Because of an elite player at THE elite position...plus really good talent development...plus culture...plus coaching...plus a history of cheating (can never leave that out), they can have a SB-winning offense with this OL crew and most of their receiving crew being low draft picks, discards, and, frankly, probably not even with the team next year. In fact, their one highly-drafted OL (Solder) was allowed to walk to greener pastures.

In our case, we have to hope that the non-player stuff will happen with the new regime to create an environment for success no matter who's picked where. So, I'm back to swinging for the fences with a top 16 pick as a principle. If the Phins can evaluate Murray objectively and conclude that (a) his heart's in it for the long haul and (b) he's an acceptable injury risk for such an investment, then I'm much more in favor of a pick like him than a 1st-round graded OL or LB...or a QB that doesn't really have the talent to be graded 1st-round but because of the premium on the position gets pushed up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.