HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Poll: Should NON Calls be Challengeable One per Game
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Poll: Should NON Calls be Challengeable One per Game
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 21, 2019 05:25PM

Poll
12 votes were received.
All visitors can vote.
Should Each Team Be allowed 1 no call review

Each side could be allowed one per game. Few teams would use it prior to the second half, probably. As is now, indisputable evidence would be required to change the NO call.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Poll: Should NON Calls be Challengeable One per Game
Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: January 24, 2019 03:40AM

Here's why I probably lean toward "no" (haven't voted yet), even though I think New Orleans was 100% robbed of a near-guaranteed SB berth.

I think teams would save the challenges, for the most part, until the very end of (especially) close games. Then, for instance, when the offense converts a critical 3rd down on a game-winning drive, the defensive team would challenge anything that looked remotely like offensive holding (which happens all the time w/o being seen and/or called). Likewise, if the offense didn't convert, they'd scour film for a ticky-tack defensive hold away from the play or something. At the end of the day, I think it would be almost like handing each team a free 1st down or 3rd-down stop per game. And, as such, I think we'd lose a lot of the most exciting plays in the game...a big part of what makes them exciting is the context/situation.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: January 24, 2019 04:53AM

As it is, all instant replay reviews are decided by some faceless group in NY, The officials on the field are merely spectators in the review process. This could be taken one step further and if the NY officials see something as blatant as the PI non call they could prompt the head official on the field through a headset to "review the previous play." I don't think it would be used often and wouldn't affect the flow of the game. I like that the officials are letting the players play, especially a play-off game but some mistakes that affect the outcome of the game need to be corrected. I agree with Tsstamper that the coaches could misuse the process. I voted no.

The Clown Show Continues

-

Date: January 24, 2019 12:28PM

But you guys are arguing that this would only be the absence of perfection. To me the absence of perfection is a lot better than relying on the coaches saying "AND NO DAMN HOLDING". You guys are just arguing AGAINST a more perfect game.

The review officials wouldn't be involved until late in the game because would the defensive team even dare to use it in the first half???

The only criticism I could see would be that both challenges would ALWAYS be used late in the game but wouldn't that just make the game more perfect????

What do you guys have against perfection????

Date: January 24, 2019 12:32PM

And btw there could be NO scouring the film because you would have to use it before the ball is snapped again.

Posted by: pafinfan ()
Date: January 24, 2019 01:02PM

I think if they did that there should a sizeable penalty if it turns out the challenge was a waste of time.

Like, lose all challenges for the next game. But I have no idea if it's the last game of the season.

Date: January 24, 2019 07:29PM

Why a penalty for being wrong? There is no penalty now for utilizing an instant replay on spotting the ball even if you were wrong and the ref was right.

Date: January 25, 2019 12:37AM

"But you guys are arguing that this would only be the absence of perfection. To me the absence of perfection is a lot better than relying on the coaches saying "AND NO DAMN HOLDING". You guys are just arguing AGAINST a more perfect game."

I've read this a couple times and am not sure I understand. I am against a 100% perfect game (meaning every single player on every single play either is 100% within the rules or is automatically penalized", if that's what 100% perfect means.

For me, the perfect football game (ok, truly it's the Phins beating NE every week 100-0, but I digress) has an element of "flow" or rhythm to it. I guess if I really think about it, I like that some uncalled holding probably happens at times throughout a game, and that players and coaches probably take that into account or at least in stride as they're calling & executing the plays. But, the perfect game obviously also doesn't have a massively blown call like against NO. Therein lies the rub for me. How do you avoid such football atrocities while also not reducing the game to something much less exciting.

Date: January 25, 2019 12:40AM

"And btw there could be NO scouring the film because you would have to use it before the ball is snapped again."

I think teams would absolutely employ a team of relatively low-paid position-watchers to sit and watch individual positions all game long literally scouring for anything that might be worthy of review, and then signaling the coach in case he felt it was the right time to use such a challenge.

If Brady & NE would pay a dude to deflate the balls just a little bit illegally, I'm certain teams would pay for such legal advantages.

Posted by: pafinfan ()
Date: January 25, 2019 05:30AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why a penalty for being wrong? There is no
> penalty now for utilizing an instant replay on
> spotting the ball even if you were wrong and the
> ref was right.

When I said penalty, I was thinking along the lines as it stands now, if both challenges are in the coaches favor he can get a third.

Date: January 25, 2019 10:49AM

Taking the last point first, there would be no second challenge even if the first challenge was correct.

Date: January 25, 2019 04:13PM

And this would be different in that it would be one a game whether the challenge ended up being right or wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2019 07:41PM by ChyrenB.

Date: January 25, 2019 11:04PM

And TSStamper,perfection is impossible but better is not. Also, a team would be foolish to use it in the first half. Think about it.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 26, 2019 02:18AM

I voted no, because any call, or non call, should be challengeable if the coach wants to throw the flag. Beyond that there should be a referee in the booth that looks at each and every play in "real time", but only stops play if he see's something to warrant it...like a missed call or a blown call.

Date: January 26, 2019 12:14PM

I would vote against the plan you just outlined myself! Each game would last two days long. There is an old saying that there is holding on every play and even if there is not, every defensive lineman will swear that it is.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 27, 2019 12:48AM

Not if it was done in real time. It doesn't matter what the players say either. The one stopping play would be the booth official and as I said he would only stop play if he saw something to warrant the stoppage.

If they can show the fans at home two or three replays of any given play without stopping the game than an official can certainly look at those same replays without slowing down the game.

The booth official wouldn't be there to scrutinize every player on the field just what the normal cameras show. Officials can and do make mistakes as we all know...limit the ability to have those mistakes impact the game, and have them looked at.

I do agree with you though on this point, don't slow the game down, only stop play if warranted.

Date: January 27, 2019 02:57PM

Ken Wrote:
> Not if it was done in real time. It doesn't matter
> what the players say either. The one stopping play
> would be the booth official and as I said he would
> only stop play if he saw something to warrant the
> stoppage.
>
> If they can show the fans at home two or three
> replays of any given play without stopping the
> game than an official can certainly look at those
> same replays without slowing down the game.
>
> The booth official wouldn't be there to scrutinize
> every player on the field just what the normal
> cameras show. Officials can and do make mistakes
> as we all know...limit the ability to have those
> mistakes impact the game, and have them looked
> at.
>
> I do agree with you though on this point, don't
> slow the game down, only stop play if warranted.

The blanked-out phenomena keeps coming back but there really is holding on every play. The game is not 10 hours long precisely BECAUSE the refs can't catch everything. A booth review looking over the shoulders of the refs would just add stoppage for every play because there is holding on every play.

Hey! I played center. I'm talking against my people but you blow em back for the runs and hold 'em tight for the passes.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: January 28, 2019 09:15AM

Since bad calls are already being reviewed and overturned I don't see anything wrong with no calls also being reviewed with limitations on how many can be called and for crucial plays that determine possession like something that prevented the Saints from returning to the SB.

The Rams shouldn't even be there IMO & I probably won't even watch it this time. It has zero meaning to me knowing a team is playing in it that shouldn't even be there, therefore the outcome of it doesn't even matter in my book. NFL officials really screwed this up big time to be nothing but a joke.

Date: January 28, 2019 11:17AM

WELL 808, nothing can prevent me watching and hoping that the Patriots will lose even if Purdue QB Brees was cheated out of an appearance.

Date: January 28, 2019 06:43PM

Why a penalty for being wrong? There is no penalty now for throwing the challenge flag on whether the catch was inbound or out of bounds or whether the runner broke the goal line which is reviewed utilizing an instant replay on spotting the ball. There is no penalty except a time run off late in the game even if you were wrong and the
ref was right or is that in college ball?

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: February 02, 2019 10:46AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> But you guys are arguing that this would only be
> the absence of perfection. To me the absence of
> perfection is a lot better than relying on the
> coaches saying "AND NO DAMN HOLDING". You guys
> are just arguing AGAINST a more perfect game.
>
> The review officials wouldn't be involved until
> late in the game because would the defensive team
> even dare to use it in the first half???
>
>
> The only criticism I could see would be that both
> challenges would ALWAYS be used late in the game
> but wouldn't that just make the game more
> perfect????
>
> What do you guys have against perfection????

More Perfect?!? Perfection?!? I don't know what game you are watching, but in 59 years, I have yet to see a "perfect" football game. I doubt if there will EVER be one.
I voted "no" because I just don't think that the league should entertain the notion of opening that particular can of worms. I don't think they will, and I also don't think that the fans should want them to.

Rick

Date: February 02, 2019 11:45AM

Can of worms? Perhaps but if holding or interference is a can of worms then a lot of other type of calls are such as there was or was not firm possession before the receiver went out of bounds, etc. And as to holding maybe the cameras catch it, maybe they don't.

But we are only talking about one dang review for a whole dang game. What is your problem except resistance to change for no other reason that you hate change for change sake.. The only people who should be sastified with the status quo should be the Rockefellers but LOL, I forgot. Some people like to go around believing they are Rockefellers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2019 11:47AM by ChyrenB.

Date: February 02, 2019 11:33PM

I sincerely hope we won't regret that this rule that I proposed was NOT YET in effect today.....particularly if its absence does not result in a win by the Patsies.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.