Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Gase gone; the Hunt for an experienced coach?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Gase gone; the Hunt for an experienced coach?
Posted by: colonel ()
Date: January 07, 2019 07:19AM

I wasn't surprised that Adam Gase was fired following that terrible showing against the Bills.

I'd like to see an experienced HC be hired with a winning record.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2019 07:20AM by colonel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gase gone; the Hunt for an experienced coach?
Posted by: Thirteen ()
Date: January 07, 2019 11:19AM

Yeah, so would I, but I think it's highly unlikely there's an experienced HC with a winning record around who would be interested in working with this mess of an organization.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: January 07, 2019 11:59AM

I wasn't surprised either Colonel. Equally important as the HC will be a new OC & DC that is reputable. Then we have the QB situation... Tannehill is due a big payday in 2019 under his current contract, we're talking somewhere around 26 million. That's a lot for him with what he has to offer IMO, I don't thik he's worth that kind of money (Sorry Tanny if you're reading this!). I'd rather see this team take a cap hit of 12 mil and start fresh with someone new.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 07, 2019 12:39PM

LOL, 808, apologize to Treasure instead. LOL.

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: January 08, 2019 04:28AM

The scuttlebutt seems to be that Kris Richard is the guy they've targeted. So much so that they cancelled their interview of Fangio. I admit I don't know much about Richard other than the fact that he played one season for the Dolphins, and was supposed to have had some hand in coaching Seattle's Legion of Boom. My concern with this hire is the same that I had with the Gase hire. Can this guy assemble a great coaching staff? If not, then I don't see him being any more successful than Gase. Plus, if it turns out Grier had a bigger hand in the personnel decisions the past few years, no coach will be successful if the same kind of underachieving players are brought in. I guess we shall see.

Date: January 08, 2019 01:52PM

My one and only question to any prospective coach would be, "Tell me. Do you intend to keep Tannehill in the pocket?"

If he answers "Yes," I would say, "You'll be hearing from us."

If he says, "Do I look like an idiot? Hell NO!".....I'd RESPOND, "You're hired! When can you start????"

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: January 08, 2019 02:03PM

In reality, I don't see anyone out their that Miami HAS to sign. Arians, to me, was a surprise hire. I didn't think he wanted back into coaching. The Harbaugh's are a no go. The few other coordinators that are available, are questions...what can they give us that Gase could not? This Miami team is rebuilding...we need someone who has been a HC at some point and is willing to work within the rebuilding scheme.

The only thing I can see is Miami signing someone for a couple of years then being let go to sign that big name HC.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: January 08, 2019 10:09PM

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: January 09, 2019 02:30AM

Im getting frustrated w/ this search already. If we bring in another young 'intelligent' coordinator with no h/c experience, where it is more important that the players like than respect him then this org has not learned crap from the Gase fiasco. By the end of this season at least 6 of these types got flushed down the toilet including our own Gase.

No qb 'whisperers' there are 50+ other players on the roster that need attention from the HC too. Your qb can either get the job done or he can't. Whispering is for non football players. No arrogant bastard who has to be the smartest person in the room and has to be his own coordinator and the other coordinator cannot be smarter than him. Just plain stupid of this org to have given Gase so much authority that he had no previous experience handling. Stop the stupidity, front office brings in the players coaches coach them. Coaches get some input but the f/o makes the call.

Bring in a guy like Munchak who will make sure the oline gets fixed. Bring in a guy like Caldwell who showed that his winning was not just because he had a hall of fame qb whose ear he whispered in. Guy went to the Ravens and when they fired their oc in mid season and promoted him he called plays all the way to the super bowl and they won it. Hell entice Dungy back and see how many good OCs, DCs and position coaches wait in line to coach under him. Dungy (HC), his buddies Caldwell(OC), Marvin Lewis(DC) we win. Lewis sucked as a HC but he is a helluva DC.

This rebuild can be accomplished in 2/3 years if this front office gets this right. We have some players coaching just was not worth a damn.

Date: January 09, 2019 06:40AM

I've been listening to local talk radio about the Dolphins and the speculation on who Ross may hire to be the HC. Well, it is an uncertainty for sure, but I sense that a new hire will not be a proven head coach, but once again, a rookie.

An experienced HC, I would think, aside from demanding a huge salary, would want to have more than a shell of a team to come to. Who in their right mind, other than one who is really seeking a special challenge (a newbie), wants to go to a franchise where failure abounds.

Too many positions need to be filled. There is no reason to think he or his new coaching staff could improve Tannehill's play, after 7 theoretical growing seasons for him, so a hunt for a QB would be imperative. Moreover, there are weaknesses at most positions. Only a hungry under 40 something with nothing to lose and something to gain is likely to be hired, and in my opinion, that formula doesn't work.

Posted by: SCPhinsFan ()
Date: January 09, 2019 06:40AM

Mizzou:

Agree 100%.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: January 09, 2019 07:26AM

You just know they going to get it wrong.

Date: January 09, 2019 09:12AM

If the news coming out about the search is correct, it's down to Flores, Richard, and (to a lesser extent Rizzi). My problem with all of these is the same problem I had with Gase when he was hired. What kind of staff can they assemble. Gase had the most inept, unprepared, and useless coaching staff in the league. There are a lot of reasons he failed, but having people like Burke running the defense is a prominent one. Of the three, Richard seems like the one with the most upside. I like Rizzi but don't think he's the right choice because I doubt he's going to be able to attract decent assistants. Ultimately, whoever it is, is not going to win a lot of games and I blame Grier, Tannenbaum, and Gase for diluting the talent on this roster the past few years.

Date: January 09, 2019 09:35AM

tsstamper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The only thing I can see is Miami signing someone
> for a couple of years then being let go to sign
> that big name HC.
>
> Not saying that I want this to happen, but the
> same thing has come to mind as a strong
> possibility. It's possible that we are in a
> dramatically different place in a year regarding
> the desirability of the HC job. I'm probably in
> the camp of "just because we're rebuilding doesn't
> mean everyone's job is on the line every year". I
> think there should be a good measure of
> performance within the context of circumstances
> and, if someone's underperforming, don't hold onto
> them longer than appropriate.

The above post is not on the website but the space for it is blank. Why?????????

Date: January 09, 2019 03:20PM

ChyrenB--That's a good question. I wondered myself if TSStamper had actually posted or whether there's a glitch in the system following Curt's work.

Where did you see the comment that you reference if its not on the thread? Was it somewhere else?

Colonel

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2019 03:22PM by colonel.

Date: January 09, 2019 03:23PM

The editing feature works...just double checked that function on the above post.

Date: January 09, 2019 03:30PM

I had solved it and posted my second post and then went away and came back and only to read BOTH your posts.

The way I solved it was to click on the first post and then hit 'reply' and the whole post magically appeared on the first post. That's why I reposted it.

Date: January 09, 2019 03:41PM

There has to be some head coach, for example, Jack Del Rio, that could build the Dolphins into a competitive team. He's had an up and down success as a HC, but I believe he might be able to turn things around here.

Tannehill's future as the Dolphins QB has to be a key to hiring a HC. If I was in the mix, I sure would want to know what I was getting myself into before I said yes. That's reasonable and logical.

If Ross is going to can Tannehill, part of the renewal of the team is to find a proven starting QB that has passed his prime but is still consistent and have that guy mentor a draft choice. That's the direction I'd try to go if we are rebuilding a team. I'd consider Joe Flacco as he is a pocket passer and has a lot more in the tank.

Date: January 09, 2019 04:55PM

Sounds like a plan.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 09, 2019 05:12PM

I think we should go with Foles or Bridgewater along with drafting someone this year and again next year to round out the squad along with Falk. Everyone else should be gone.

As for coaches, right now I believe it'll be Flores, Biennemy with the darkhorse being Rizzi.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2019 05:17PM by Ken.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: January 09, 2019 08:48PM

Thanks - yeah, it was a real post. Appreciate the help in getting it to appear.

Date: January 10, 2019 05:05AM

colonel Wrote:
> There has to be some head coach, for example, Jack
> Del Rio, that could build the Dolphins into a
> competitive team. He's had an up and down success
> as a HC, but I believe he might be able to turn
> things around here.
>
> Tannehill's future as the Dolphins QB has to be a
> key to hiring a HC. If I was in the mix, I sure
> would want to know what I was getting myself into
> before I said yes. That's reasonable and logical.
>
>
> If Ross is going to can Tannehill, part of the
> renewal of the team is to find a proven starting
> QB that has passed his prime but is still
> consistent and have that guy mentor a draft
> choice. That's the direction I'd try to go if we
> are rebuilding a team. I'd consider Joe Flacco as
> he is a pocket passer and has a lot more in the
> tank.

Now, I'm convinced Colonel should be our new GM. I hadn't even thought of Del Rio. He'd be perfect for Miami. He checks off all the boxes. He's been a head coach and his last go round in Oakland was markedly successful. Defensive coach which we need to address the historically bad defense of last year. He's tough but the players love him. He'd be able to attract some good assistants. It's amazing that Ross and Grier haven't even considered him.

Date: January 10, 2019 06:42AM

Thank you for the compliment...I'm blushing. eye rolling smiley

Del Rio would be good for the Dolphins. Defense would improve considerably. That's a good place to start. And, yes I agree he should have enough going for him to pack the team with competent (veteran) assistants.

Let's see how this goes.

Posted by: Grimey13 ()
Date: January 10, 2019 06:50AM

I would be happy with Del Rio. I would love a defensive minded coach. I do not want a first time head coach.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: January 10, 2019 07:23AM

Del Rio would be good, seems to trust his OC to handle the offense. Some DC as HC imho want their OCs to go w/ a conservative game plan. Im good w/ Del Rio or Caldwel or guys like them.

Front office should trade Tanne for a 6 or 7, trade for Flacco (again a 6th or 7 rnd pick) and draft the best qb available in round 2. Then go for another qb in rnd 1, 2020.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: January 10, 2019 11:13AM

colonel Wrote:
> There has to be some head coach, for example, Jack
> Del Rio, that could build the Dolphins into a
> competitive team. He's had an up and down success
> as a HC, but I believe he might be able to turn
> things around here.
>
> Tannehill's future as the Dolphins QB has to be a
> key to hiring a HC. If I was in the mix, I sure
> would want to know what I was getting myself into
> before I said yes. That's reasonable and logical.
>
>
> If Ross is going to can Tannehill, part of the
> renewal of the team is to find a proven starting
> QB that has passed his prime but is still
> consistent and have that guy mentor a draft
> choice. That's the direction I'd try to go if we
> are rebuilding a team. I'd consider Joe Flacco as
> he is a pocket passer and has a lot more in the
> tank.

Agreed, Colonel, about Del Rio. At the very least, Miami should call him in and at least talk to him.

what about Gregg Williams? He got the Browns on the right track.

Are there any good college coaches out there that Miami can talk to?

Date: January 10, 2019 11:53AM

Experienced? That sets my mind to "tripping" as we used to say in the Sixties.

The Baltimore Colts hired an "inexperienced" coach who, yes...., he got beaten by the NY Jets in SuperBowl III (was it).

They fired him but he went to another team and became undoubtedly the greatest coach of all time.

His name was Don Shula.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 10, 2019 12:41PM

Del Rio....no, no, no, no, no!...and did I say..no? I'd be happier with a cardboard cutout of Saddam Hussein.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: January 10, 2019 01:01PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> tsstamper Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The only thing I can see is Miami signing
> someone
> > for a couple of years then being let go to sign
> > that big name HC.
> >
> > Not saying that I want this to happen, but the
> > same thing has come to mind as a strong
> > possibility. It's possible that we are in a
> > dramatically different place in a year
> regarding
> > the desirability of the HC job. I'm probably
> in
> > the camp of "just because we're rebuilding
> doesn't
> > mean everyone's job is on the line every year".
> I
> > think there should be a good measure of
> > performance within the context of circumstances
> > and, if someone's underperforming, don't hold
> onto
> > them longer than appropriate.
>
> The above post is not on the website but the space
> for it is blank. Why?????????

It was written in invisible ink.

( I don't know...freaked me out too)

Date: January 10, 2019 01:33PM

The only explanation I can give is what the owner of the diner said in the famous Twilight Zone episode about the riders on the bus when the Bridge went down and they all walked into the then EMPTY diner and it turns out that there was ONE MORE DINER than the BUS DRIVER HAD COUNTED as having got on the bus when it was loaded at the bus station............."weird...just weird."

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.