HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          3rd down and 16
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
3rd down and 16
Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 22, 2018 01:11AM

Yes, that's the scenario during the Dolphins' first possession.

Leading up to this:

First down: Gore run between LT and LG. Stopped.

Second down: Defender breaches line between C and RG. Sack of QB

Now with 16 yards to achieve a 1st down, the call is a run on the left side that gains only a few yards. Dolphins punt on 4th down.

What was the likelihood that a running play would be successful in gaining 16 yards? Gase has high expectations doesn't he?

Okay, what would you have called? A pass play? Probably. Then why did Gase call a run? Did he think he'd trick the Lions?

The Dolphins have shown little imagination on plays and typically don't move the ball very well during the first quarter. Gase's play calling is primarily the reason IMO. What say you?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 3rd down and 16
Posted by: Grimey13 ()
Date: October 22, 2018 01:17AM

I think he was in the mindset that they were going to have to punt either way so just run up the middle. That is not the coach that I want on this team. Show some heart...Take some shots. It was so early in the game.

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: October 22, 2018 02:46AM

In that case- deep in your own territory, early in the game, the book says 3rd and 16s have a very low chance of success, with an equal chance more or less of a turnover or negative play. So you gain a few safe yards and punt. I didn't have a problem with that one- but TE shuffle pass in the red zone? I know they are trying to be creative but whatever happened to meat and potatoes- I formation FB pounding the way in yard by yard?

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: October 22, 2018 04:43AM

This team is reflection of the coach, especially without an alpha male QB. Gase is a cautious, conservative play caller.
That was Wanny's philosophy also, keep the game close, take advantage of any lucky bounces, win the game in the 4th quarter.
Personally, I would prefer an alpha male QB, a coach with confidence in that QB and more aggressiveness on first downs.
Dictate the game plan, don't react to what the opposition dictates, especially a home game.

The Clown Show Continues

-

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 22, 2018 05:25AM

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: October 22, 2018 06:48AM

Posted by: JC ()
Date: October 22, 2018 01:13PM

That's actually the one thing I do like about Bellichick (if I had to pick something likable about him), is his press conferences and the way he deals with stupid questions from reporters (which is a vast majority of questions from Boston-area reporters).

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: October 23, 2018 08:26PM

No surprise that Peyton Manning always seemed to just run the offense himself. It was like almost every play was an audible.

Folks I had some high hopes for Gase at first even though he didn't have any HC experience but as time has passed I feel like he isn't any kind of "guru" whatsoever. I actually see more intelligence from some of the posters here on phins.com so with that said, I nominate Colonel to be the next HC for the Miami Dolphins grinning smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.