HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Why We Dolphin Fans are so Cynical Sometimes
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Why We Dolphin Fans are so Cynical Sometimes
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: October 16, 2018 12:28PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why We Dolphin Fans are so Cynical Sometimes
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 16, 2018 01:44PM

I agree with omar kelly this time. He hit the nail on the head. And he is absolutely right!

GO PHINS.

Date: October 16, 2018 03:24PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree with omar kelly this time. He hit the nail
> on the head. And he is absolutely right!
>
> GO PHINS.

You 2 deserve each other.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 17, 2018 06:16AM

Most of us are skeptics today because of the past decade of failures. Whether it was management, coaching, draft and players issues and injuries. We all expect the other shoe to drop because it has done so, so often. Had the team been competitive against the Patsies, there might have been more optimism and enjoyment for the fans with the past overtime win. For me the game kept me on the seat of my pants...back and forth...they fought hard and came through in the end. That was terrific. Our next game, we all wonder, will the team have the same fight, the same kind of effort and win another game?

Winning, makes believers of us all. That's what the team must do...Win.

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: October 17, 2018 06:18AM

I guess my question is why wouldn't fans be cynical? They haven't won a playoff game in almost 18 years. What has the team done to erase the skepticism? I have to be honest, hiring a guy who was fired from his last job for screwing up the roster and putting the team in cap hell wasn't exactly the kind of move that fosters a leap of faith by the fans. It's really not that hard to get the fans believing again. Show the fans that you're building toward a sustainable winning organization. That means top to bottom. If the fans don't believe that Tannenbaum and Grier will be up to the task of consistently bringing in good talent, then the occasional win streak will be met by cynicism. I know that if Ross had hired a proven winner to be the general manager of the team, I'd be a whole lot more optimistic.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: October 18, 2018 12:18AM

I feel like this might be premature, cuz the proof's in the pudding and we were 4-2 last year with Cutler @ the helm. I haven't liked a number of moves Tannenbaum has made - especially ones like giving new contracts/extensions to folks such as Alonso, McDonald & Branch either before I felt like they had earned them or for too much $$$ based upon what they had done up to that point. But, as I look at our team's talent vs. cap situation heading into next year, it appears relatively healthy. By that, I mean that I think we put a relatively talented team on the field with our current starters...not top-shelf talent everywhere, but a competitive team.

On offense, we have all of our starters signed thru 2019 except Jesse Davis and JuWan James. I've included Sitton and Gisecki as starters even tho Sitton is out for this season and Gisecki is a starter because the starter went down. And, we've tied up $66.5 million in those 9 starters.

On defense, we have 10 starters signed thru 2019 (with Wake being the only one not under contract in the coming year) for a total of $58 million. I've included 3 LB as starters but not Minkah, though I suppose it could be 2 LB and 5 in the backfield considered starters. The financials aren't that different, and the point is they're under contract.

The cap should be somewhere between $185-$190 million, so 19 of 22 starters take up a total of $124.6 million. I know it takes more than starters to make a roster, but the bottom 1/2 of the roster averages (at a quick glance) maybe $700k/ea. Sadly, $13.1 mill of our 2019 cap space is eaten by Suh's dead $$.

Further, there are a couple of key people who - if they're value on the field isn't there - can be let go w/o much cap ramification:
- Quinn - $12.9 million, 0 cap hit
- Amdendola - $6 mil, 0 cap hit
- Akeem Spence - $2.5 mill, 0 cap hit
- Dan Kilgore - $2.4 mill, 0 cap hit
- Sitton, for that matter - would save $5 mill, but with $2 mill cap hit
- Branch isn't a starter (if Wake's considered one), but could save $7 mill at the cost of $2 mill cap hit
I'm not advocating letting these starters go...just saying we're in a good position to do so if it's the prudent move.

Not trying to be pollyanna about the situation, i.e. not claiming we have a champagne roster on beer budget, but feel like (for the first time I can remember in a while) the talent-to-cost balance is favorable this year and heading into next year.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: October 19, 2018 06:21PM

It would help to see the cup half full instead of half empty if this team didn't take a total shit against the Pats. Getting spanked 38 - 7 exposed the poor coaching and player performance that this entire franchise is capable of on any given game day. I don't know what Dolphins team will decide to show up every single week.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 20, 2018 07:04AM

808phan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It would help to see the cup half full instead of
> half empty if this team didn't take a total shit
> against the Pats. Getting spanked 38 - 7 exposed
> the poor coaching and player performance that this
> entire franchise is
capable of on any given game
> day. I don't know what Dolphins team will decide
> to show up every single week.

Thats exactly how i feel 808

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.