HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Running game?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Running game?
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: September 25, 2018 06:51AM

I keep hearing that Gase called a "great game" on Sunday, but I cannot agree. I have heard that he tried to get the running game working, but it wasn't working so he went to a trick-laden passing offense. Well, in my opinion, he never gives the running game a chance of succeeding! The only time this season that the running game has worked was in the first half (or part) of the Titans game. He ran the ball early and often, and it worked to perfection. After the stoppage, he never went back to it. It was only minimally used against the Jets, then against the Raiders he only ran the ball 12 total times, and two of those were Tannehill scrambles. Ten times isn't giving the running game a fair chance. This guy likes to throw the ball TOO MUCH. Last week, a pass on 3rd and 1 was ill-advised. He likes his instant gratification and doesn't stick with the run. In my opinion, he's making his own running game impotent. One of these days, we're going to need it, and nobody will know what to do.

Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Running game?
Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: September 25, 2018 07:00AM

I agree that you have to be persistent for a running game to work, but when Sitton went out, it really hurt the running game. The interior offensive line is really substandard. Kilgore has been disappointing and Larsen flat out sucks. Davis is average at best. The plays that worked were ones that attacked the perimeter of the field. They went down as passes but in reality were running plays. My problem with Gase is that there ought to be more running plays in the arsenal then up the middle Gore, up the middle Drake.

Posted by: CincinnatiFinFAn ()
Date: September 25, 2018 07:01AM

Our starting left Guard, and easily our best run blocker was hurt in that game against Tenny ... that has definitely been a factor. Gase called a good game in that he was able to adjust to score points. I do think he needs to be more creative on early downs, but we were behind and HAD to move the ball somehow. We didn't have time to keep fooling with a running game that was getting shut down on every attempt. Had we had gotten the score close earlier in the 2nf half, then we may have made more of an effort to run the ball.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 25, 2018 07:03AM

Date: September 25, 2018 08:44AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What else do you want?....I think he called a
> great game it was the 4th quarter and we werent
> able to run the football.
>
> Another coach sticks to running and we lose the
> game and we bytch about that too.
>
> If something is not working then try something
> else....thats exactly what he did and it
> worked...
>
> Kudos to gase for his imagination.

I wasn't dissing Gase for switching gears, I was simply pointing out that long term, being unable to run the ball is going to catch up with you. Being one dimensional will cost us games. Since the personnel is likely to not change, than the way they run the ball needs to be adjusted. Whether we like it or not, Tannehill is going to need to be a big part of the running game. We're going to need to run a lot of misdirection to make up for the poor run blocking. Gase did well in the Oakland game (particularly the second half) but we need to be more effective in the run game to be successful long term. Oakland's defense wasn't ranked very high in defending the run and that's concerning.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: September 25, 2018 11:58AM

I think you're misreading it Fins72. Sam was addressing the starting post in the thread.

Date: September 25, 2018 02:55PM

Chren is correct....and fin72 is right that if we dont run the ball in the future its going to cost us games.

Date: September 25, 2018 03:04PM

Thats why there is a very handy quote funtion.

Date: September 25, 2018 03:08PM

Players are human...they have good and bad games. Drake looked tired running the football. He didnt hit the holes like he ussualy does....he did had some kind of hip injury.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: September 26, 2018 02:26AM

I kind of agree with all of you thus far. To me the ideal situation is one where the offensive is balanced. However, when circumstances arise that thwart the passing game or running game, adjustments need to be made to succeed offensively. What is needed is an arsenal of plays that surprise the opponents, set them back on their heels, so to speak. The key to doing that IMO is not to give up early on anything. Recognizing what might work, and trying it is all trial and error, but a calculated one.

With Larsen in at guard, the Dolphins are not as run capable. Yet, I do believe that Gase has a tendency to abandon the running game placing too much hope in the arm of RT and the WRs. I still believe, for the most part, that Gase is a lousy play caller.

In our upcoming game with the Patsies, Gase's play calling will be tested. We need to have a balanced approach offensively. I just hope that practices this week work on the ground game. This area must improve in order to beat dynamic teams. And yes, the Patsies are a dynamic team, though they are not "running on all cylinders" right now.

Date: September 26, 2018 05:16AM

"I just hope that practices this week work on the ground game. This area must improve in order to beat dynamic teams."

True and the ground game is also needed late in the season when it's cold and snowy. Given the personnel on the offensive line (particularly center and guard positions) I hope that Gase can prove that the adage of "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts" applies to football.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: September 26, 2018 10:14AM

The raiders stacked the box and dared us to pass the entire game. When we did we were successful but we continued to run on first down and get nothing.

I think he did try to establish the run. Sometimes you have to give the opposing D credit for stopping it.

The jet sweeps were great calls to attack their aggressive fronts and they worked to perfection.

Gase could get more creative on first downs and early in the game but he called a good game against the Raiders.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.