HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Tannehill
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Tannehill
Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: September 23, 2018 05:42PM

Playing like we have been waiting for. hitting the deep ball and touch passes, running when needed

121 rating, 72% completion

Needs to beat Pats

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tannehill
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: September 23, 2018 06:20PM

Yes, we need to beat the Pats. We have a two game lead in the division, three would be fantastic and a head to head win to go along with it would be huge.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: September 23, 2018 07:06PM

Without you saying it, I hear you Treasure.

Tannehill has us leading the AFC East at 3-0, while the Jets, Cardinals, Bills, Steelers, Ravens and Browns, who all picked first round QBs in that draft, all have poorer records.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: September 23, 2018 09:31PM

Was going to say he took the team on his shoulders when there was absolutely no running game. But, in reflection, I think a lot of it was Gase who figured out a way to make the offense effective w/o the traditional running game yesterday. Not to take anything away from Tannehill...for the most part, he did what he was supposed to within the evolving offensive gameplan. With the exception of the missed TD throw, his passes were on point and there were none of the head-scratchers that I can recall.

Date: September 23, 2018 09:59PM

No, he didn't put the team on his back....only Marino (not my Bob Griese even) did that.

But he did compliment the rest of the team enough to bring us a victory.

Posted by: Grimey13 ()
Date: September 24, 2018 02:37AM

I like that he actually started to throw the ball down the field towards the end of the game. Yes the trick plays helped him out but there for a minute our offense looked different.

He had a few nice touches on relatively deep passes for this offense.

Howard is a beast. If Jones can bounce back and be healthy, we would have one of the best secondaries in the league.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 24, 2018 04:49AM

It was all about coaching this week. Gase outcoached gruden.

Take that gase haters.

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: September 24, 2018 04:56AM

As someone who has tried to be as objective as possible about Tannehill, here are my thoughts. The two TD throws to Grant and Wilson were effectively runs. Not dissing him, just stating facts. The throw to Stills and to Parker were perfect throws. Just what we needed when we needed them. The most important thing in my mind was no turnovers. That was crucial. In plain truth, Carr had gaudy passing yardage but his two interceptions killed the Raiders. When you don't turn the ball over, you give yourself a chance to win. If Tannehill can do that, I'm fine with him as our QB. I do think that given the problems with the interior offensive line, they need to let Tannehill use his legs more. The run game was pretty pathetic and in fairness to Gore and Drake, there was no where for them to run. That's why I think they're going to need to do more creative things with Tannehill sometimes running the ball. He's too good a runner to not take advantage of it. Yeah, it does potentially subject him to getting hurt, but I don't think they've got any choice. The guard play was abysmal and I don't see it getting better with the current personnel.

Posted by: Grimey13 ()
Date: September 24, 2018 05:07AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It was all about coaching this week. Gase
> outcoached gruden.
>
> Take that gase haters.

I am one of those haters. Not that I hate what he has done with the culture. I hate his play calling. He was great this weekend. First half not so much.

He actually let Tanne air it out a few times with great results. That pass to Stills was perfect as was the pass to Parker.

Still room for improvement but so far they are making me eat some crow....and man is it delicious.

Posted by: CincinnatiFinFAn ()
Date: September 24, 2018 05:28AM

We can't keep asking our defense to bail us out and play catch up on offense, it's not a sustainable formula for winning. Offensively, we have to figure out a way to run the ball, if we can't we are in trouble.

Date: September 24, 2018 05:32AM

Look.....I never said Tanny was D Marino or ever suggested he was going to be in Canton one day.

But from day 1 I liked his work ethic , his athleticism, and toughness. He never whined or complained. I just said , given help and some direction he could be a part of a great team.

We had the best QB ever... but it didnt win us anything. No need to draft a QB. Get him the help he needed.

Hopefully we can stay healthy and Gase can get these penalties under control.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: September 24, 2018 05:51AM

The problem with Gase and his playcalls is that he is far too conservative. I completely understand that hes trying to call safe high percentage passes that get our guys the ball quickly and allow our players to move in space. But, this sequence or on similar is not helping the offense, in fact it's putting us into a hole most times.

1st down - Run, bubble screen or swing pass for no gain.
2nd down - same, for two yards.
3rd down and long - pass to a player in the flat or a dump off for three yards.

Resulting in a punt.

He has to call plays earlier in the series that allow movement down the field, not lateral movement. The plays he is calling are good plays but he relies on them entirely too much and it makes him predictable. It also puts us in positions where a drop, penalty or anything going wrong results in a punt.

Gase has to get more aggressive and start calling more plays designed to start 3+ yards beyond the LOS, then sprinkle in those other plays.

We can't have our offense in 3rd and 7+ every series through ultra conservative play calls.

BTW: RT is doing just fine. He'd do better, IMHO if Gase would be more agressive on early downs shortening the field for him on 3rd down. I mean if you have a 3rd and 5, why are you asking the player to pick up 9 yards to get it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2018 05:59AM by Ken.

Date: September 24, 2018 09:29AM

I loved the wild cat type calls with Wilson....thats pretty ballsy.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: September 24, 2018 11:13AM

Really like seeing us use so many different weapons in the passing game. By number of catches, our top receiver has 11 and 5th receiver has 8...with Parker and Giesecki at 2 & 4 respectively as they become more involved in the past couple games.

Small sample size this early in the season, but YPC across the receiving corps is 13.4...with Tannehill's 73% completion rate.

Date: September 24, 2018 12:06PM

I like the way he (Gase) "opened up" Tannehill, not expecting him to be Greise OR a Marino but recognizing that he is a Cam or a Colin. It kept them off balance
They didn't know what to expect.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: September 24, 2018 12:12PM

I always wish we'd run the ball more, but Gase did the right thing by moving on to more pass plays because the runs were obviously NOT working.

Granted the little shovel pass plays are basically runs that count as a pass statistically, as someone mentioned earlier. It's a pitch forward instead of a pitch back.

I don't know what to expect from New England next week. But I hope Tannehill & company can pick them apart.

Date: September 24, 2018 12:33PM

After just re-watching the highlight from the Pats/Lions game, I realized it will be even more important for us to run the ball against the Pats. The Lions were very effective doing so.

Our key to winning will be to succeed where we failed against the Raiders: we will need to run the ball early, then set up the pass. Here's hoping.

Posted by: CincinnatiFinFAn ()
Date: September 25, 2018 05:14AM

We attempted to run the ball in the first half, and were stuffed on attempt after attempt. The Raiders made the decision to make Tanne have to beat them. It took until after 1/2 time to adjust, but Gase adjusted and we won because of it. Gase needs to be more creative from the 1st series on, hopefully he is learning that.

Date: September 25, 2018 12:49PM

Exactly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.