HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Tampa Game Observations
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Tampa Game Observations
Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: August 10, 2018 08:40AM

First off, I don't read much into a preseason game good or bad. That said, a couple of things I noticed.

1. I've been a harsh critic of the backup QB position situation. I'm still not happy with it at all. That said, Fales is head and shoulders better than Osweiler. That's probably damning him with faint praise but honestly, how in the hell did Osweiler even make it to this level? No pocket presence whatsoever, inaccurate throws, and how does a guy 6'7" get so many passes batted down. I'll tell you, I've seen all I need to see from Osweiler. Even Petty looks better and that's pathetic. I'm sure he's a nice young man, but he needs to be making plans for life after football because it's coming fast for him.

2. I'm not being facetious here, but did Devante Parker even play? I didn't see him even mentioned but also didn't see that he was a scratch.

3. As I suspected, unless the Bucs first string offense is a top ten unit (which I sincerely doubt), our defense doesn't look very good. On a bright note, I actually thought Vincent Taylor outplayed the other DTs on the roster. He showed some promise albeit against the Tampa reserves. He's a guy that should get more looks from the coaching staff. I'd rather see more of him and less of Phillips.

4. Tannehill looked like Tannehill. Moved well. Had some impressive throws with good zip and unfortunately some inaccurate ones. Overall, as much as you could expect from a guy that hasn't played in over a year.

5. I know that Cam Wake didn't play, but whichever players did get reps at DE, got absolutely no pressure on Tampa's QBs. The little pressure we got was from push up the middle. Hope that Cam still has some juice left and Quinn can stay healthy and plays up to his past level. With as much money as has been invested in the defensive ends, there needs to be lots of sacks this year. If not, that's a lot of wasted cap space.

6. I like Isiah Ford. Hope they can find room for him on the roster.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tampa Game Observations
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 10, 2018 08:50AM

Positives

One positive from game is that receivers were throwing themselves out there and hustling like hell...

No injurie to tannehill there was good protection against tampas defense which is good.

The rookie rb needs to learn to take whats given and not force those hurtles he is going to be a good one once he learns more...Superfast.

Fitspatrick had a few encouragin plays. Hopefully he can live up to been a first round pick...we need that.

Negatives

Defense had no pressure on tampa qbs....Cam wake didnt play i believe.

Therefore the cbs were strugling...

Couldnt stop run at all...

There were more negative and positive but this is just off the top of my head...

Fales looked better than osweiler.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 10, 2018 08:53AM

why couldnt we get someone like fitspatrick to backup tannehill?

He is not that bad G.

He quietly makes plays and runs for yardage.....Like he did for tampa bay yesterday.

But it looks like fales might be able to win a couple games for us if need be.

Crossing my fingers.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: August 11, 2018 01:43AM

I saw a team that looked to be in midseason form. No more it's the first preseason game excuse because that turns into "it's only the first game" excuse and by week 7 we're talking draft.

Tanne hit on a nice roll out, completed a few dump offs and then missed an open Amendola at the 10. Next play he missed a dump off that would have picked up an additional 5-6 yards. instead we had to settle for a 53yd fg attempt. For a coach that's considered an offensive genius he needs to get that figured out.

Our d looked like I expected. It won't get better until Burke is gone. We had a top 3 DT last year and we still got gashed up the middle. If he thinks he can run the same scheme without Suh and improve? He's an idiot.

Fitzpatrick and Baker looked good. They'll be building blocks for the next regime.

Parker sucks. We'd be wise to deal him now for a 4th or 5th, get what we can, than letting him walk. Keep Ford and get him on the field.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2018 04:08AM by jsm08.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: August 11, 2018 09:13PM

Great post, JSM08. I gotta give it to you when you are due praise.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: August 11, 2018 10:54PM

Yes the defense looked suspect however, there was no game plan, no disguses, no exotic looks, no blitzes, and nothing more than pure vanilla. Our starting offense for the six plays they had looked ok. Right now the thing that worries me is our kicker.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: August 12, 2018 04:10AM

We are checking out Breashaud Breeland. If he passes the physical and we sign him maybe we package Parker and a corner in a trade. Breeland would be a good pickup had some good seasons w/ the Skins. Injury was a deep cut not a broken bone or torn muscle as I understand it. Cost him some money since it was ill timed but could be our gain.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: August 12, 2018 08:41AM

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: August 13, 2018 03:28PM

I didn't see anything special to write home about regarding the Dolphins "first scrimmage" game. Tampa bay, however, looked further along on both sides of the ball than the Dolphins.

One of the players I did watch was #86, Gesicki. His blocking seemed sound and he may be a factor in keeping RT upright during the season. We'll learn more each week. I sure hope we see some strong defensive plays soon.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.