Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Is Anybody really happy with this Offseason?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Is Anybody really happy with this Offseason?
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: March 24, 2018 10:10PM

With the possible exception of the offensive line (though it is true that we did get older), I don't feel comfortable with a single move that this front office has made this offseason. I've never been a Mike Tannenbaum fan after the disaster he wrought in New York, I wanted to be cautiously optimistic for Chris Grier, and I really thought Adam Gase could be the coach we've been waiting for. I am an incurable optimist when it comes to this team. I still want to be, but I have a bad feeling about these moves. I can't even be "cautiously optimistic" , I just feel ill. I hope they prove me wrong when they get these guys into camp, but...

Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Anybody really happy with this Offseason?
Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: March 25, 2018 03:30AM

I'd say that I'm TBD in terms of happiness with offseason because there's so much more of it yet to come. However, I can say for the following:
- Landry - I'm actually ok with him going vs. paying uber-premium money for someone who simply isn't uber-premium at the position. Him being the best we had simply doesn't make him that.
- his "replacements" for what they cost...not super happy, but seems both are pretty low in terms of guarantees so relatively easy to get out of after 2018 if they don't perform.
- OL in general - seems like a LOT of change for a unit that needs consistency...that said, I don't really like what we have consistently gotten over the past, oh, decade or so.
- Pouncey - glad to see him go. Kilgore seems legit, but even Brendel seemed to outplay him last year.
- James - seems like cost vs. replacement was a push or slightly in his favor.
- Sitton - please be as good as you're billed to be...could be a really great pickup if he can help stabilize the left side w/Tunsil
- Suh - I actually don't think our QB pressure or run defense will suffer much, if at all, without him there. Not questioning his individual talent or effort, but it just didn't seem to make that much difference.
- all the DE stuff, I buy into the positional flexibility messaging, so not concerned about the apparent glut at the position.
- Gore in/Ajayi out? I'm good with it. Drake was a really pleasant surprise last year.
- obviously easy to be on board with letting Thomas & Timmons go

When I look at the moves so far, three things strike me:
1) They seem to really believe Tannehill will be the 2016 version of himself with Gase. I think that's why the big OL changes....TBD, in my opinion, but Cutler was nearly unwatchable last year and Osweiler is as well.
2) everyone seems to be on board with changing culture...I think it's incredibly important and don't think the Pats are the Pats w/o an incredibly strong culture
3) I feel like we'll be the beneficiary of folks returning from injury (Lippett & McMillan) that almost feel like they could be part of the offseason-to-date

Based upon what's happened so far, here's what makes or brakes the offseason for me the rest of the way:
- draft QB with serious potential to push Tannehill and be groomed as potential eventual starter
- TE...jeez, just get a good, quality TE...I think that helps take some of the Landry slack
- LB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2018 11:26PM by tsstamper.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: March 25, 2018 05:08AM

Im ok w/ the off season. Ejecting Landry, Suh, Pouncey, and Timmons represent a whole bunch of addition by subtraction. Each brought talent but not true leadership. That was really missing from this squad.

Sitton and Kilgore I both like and I wanted to see us bring back James. With Tunsil spending a second season at LT we should finally see our ol jell. We still got players like Davis, Larsen Smith and Asiata. Oline is in a good spot,

Gore and Amendola (along w/ Sitton and Kilgore) all provide veteran leadership and support that Tanne will appreciate.

As mentioned we get some injured players back that hopefully will help out at cb and lb and DE.

Brought back Hayes added Quinn frees us from take a DE in the draft.

I wish we had a veteran qb to push Tanne.

I like our off season so far. We had to let go of the guys that we did. We were just spinning our wheels with them. I think we set ourselves up for the draft nicely.

Only pick I don't like is Osweiller. Looks like a Gase pick, Thomas and Cutler did not work out well, Bushrod mediocre and Larsen less than mediocre. I guess they have to bring in a Gase player or 2 every off season.

Date: March 25, 2018 06:28AM

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: March 25, 2018 07:59AM

I think with some isolated exceptions, this off-season has been disastrous. Losing Landry is big. It's so easy to talk about how he's not worth the money it would've taken to keep him, but wait until next year. Third and 8. Tannehill is going to be looking for someone to get open or make a great play after the catch to keep the drive alive. When it doesn't happen, people are going to remember how valuable a guy Landry was. He was the QB's security blanket. I remember how Cutler was effusive in praising Parker before the season began. A faster Alshon Jeffery I believe he said. That lasted about two plays into the season and once again, Landry was the go to guy. To add insult to injury, they sign two guys for about what it would've taken to keep Landry neither one of whom is even half the player he is.

I was happy with signing Sitton. He's been a quality guard. Sure his age is a factor, but we haven't had a decent guard in Miami in a very long time. I like the signing of Gore. It's a one year deal with a guy who will be a good team player and mentor to Drake. Plus, he's better than Damian Williams so it's an upgrade.

Osweiler signing was a poke in the eye to fans. There is nothing about this signing that makes any sense. This ridiculous penchant that Gase has for signing his crappy former players has gotten old very fast. Have any of them worked out?

Hated the Quinn trade. Giving up a draft pick for a guy with some pretty serious injury concerns along with a big cap number is stupid. It also tells me that all the crap we heard about their optimism over Charles Harris development was just that--crap. Making matters worse is that they tied up another 10 million on the same position with Andre Branch who isn't worth half that cap number. Don't even get me started on the whole Alonso extension. That move can't even be defended by Perry Mason on his best day.

My prediction is a complete collapse next year. The only question I have is will it finally convince Ross that what he's doing ain't working. That's what more concerning to me than even the record next year. I know that this team isn't making the playoffs. I know that the likelihood is that we're looking at another single digit win total. What I don't know is whether we can at least hope that it will result in the hiring of someone that can try to rebuild this team the way teams need to be rebuilt--good draft class after good draft class and smart free agency decisions.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: March 25, 2018 04:39PM

Unfortunately, most fans won't be happy with waiting for the solid draft class after solid draft class strategy.

People want the team to be relevant now, not three, four or five, years from now.

Date: March 25, 2018 05:42PM

Ken Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Unfortunately, most fans won't be happy with
> waiting for the solid draft class after solid
> draft class strategy.
>
> People want the team to be relevant now, not
> three, four or five, years from now.

The reason for that is the team hasn't been relevant for decades. Patience wears thin.

Posted by: OCphin ()
Date: March 25, 2018 06:31PM

Obviously a rhetorical question, but I'll play along.

No, not happy at all.

The Tannenbaum-Grier-Gase triad is a complete clu-fu.

The level of incompetence between these three stooges is off the chart.(No offense Moe, Curly, and Schep. You guys would be an actual improvement)

Can't wait to see how Grier butchers another draft, or listen to the litany of excuses Gase will have during another sub-.500 season.

Date: March 26, 2018 02:58AM

Grier, draft butcher, wtf? We lose this guy we don't have much in the f/o. Guy knows talent, you should find and read what Rashard Jones said of him. I think he is the only one in the top 3 that has a clue.

Tunsil - Starting LT
Howard - Starting CB
Drake - Starting RB
Caroo - stinks but still on roster
Grant - elevated his game in year 2
Lucas - Still on roster
Doughty - Still on roster
Duarte - Still on roster, not sure why but still on the roster
Scott - UDA on roster

at least 2 other of his 2016 uda are still on nfl rosters

Harris - Jury is out but showed some talent
McMillian - Went down w/ injury but looked like stater
Tankersley - Got some starts
Asiata - Was not expected to start as rookie
Godchaux - 40 tackles, some calling him a steal
Taylor - 18 tackles, made DT rotation
Ford - was getting noticed in practice before injury

Smith OT - uda on roster
Smith RB - uda on roster
Malveau - uda on roster
Morgan - uda on roster
Allen - uda on roster

again at least 2 other udas are still on nfl rosters

Date: March 26, 2018 06:18AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
> Grier, draft butcher, wtf? We lose this guy we
> don't have much in the f/o. Guy knows talent, you
> should find and read what Rashard Jones said of
> him. I think he is the only one in the top 3 that
> has a clue.
>
> 2016
> Tunsil - Starting LT
> Howard - Starting CB
> Drake - Starting RB
> Caroo - stinks but still on roster
> Grant - elevated his game in year 2
> Lucas - Still on roster
> Doughty - Still on roster
> Duarte - Still on roster, not sure why but still
> on the roster
> Scott - UDA on roster
>
> at least 2 other of his 2016 uda are still on nfl
> rosters
>
> 2017
>
> Harris - Jury is out but showed some talent
> McMillian - Went down w/ injury but looked like
> stater
> Tankersley - Got some starts
> Asiata - Was not expected to start as rookie
> Godchaux - 40 tackles, some calling him a steal
> Taylor - 18 tackles, made DT rotation
> Ford - was getting noticed in practice
> before injury
>
> Smith OT - uda on roster
> Smith RB - uda on roster
> Malveau - uda on roster
> Morgan - uda on roster
> Allen - uda on roster
>
> again at least 2 other udas are still on nfl
> rosters

I have to take issue on some of your evaluations.

Tunsel--So far very disappointing given his draft status as number 1 pick.

Howard--- cautiously optimistic

Drake-- looks good.

Carroo-- BUST...

Grant-- gadget player at best. Questionable hands.

Lucas--strictly special teams but okay

Doughty-- will be out of league

Duarte--Bust

Harris-- Not looking good. Over-drafted. Could've gotten equal talent later.

McMillian--?? We shall see

Tankersly-- Looks like a possible find. We shall see.

Asiata--BUST

Godchaux-- Okay given where he was drafted.

Taylor-- Eh...Okay given where he was drafted.

I'd give this a C- or D+ mainly because our first rounders which have to be home runs are so far not looking like they are.

Date: March 26, 2018 08:54AM

2016 you get a starting LT, RB and corner. How many times you get that everything else is gravy. Tunsil looked real good at G his first year and last year was his first at LT. Guy has shown he can handle 2 positions.

2017 4 contributors as rookies . Yep I would have traded down but we got Harris. Who says he does not look good. Second year will show.

You call Asiata a bust but that shows you never read any predraft profiles on him. He was not expected to come in and start. That is why he was a 5th rounder.

Draft grade minimum is a C+ B- at best. You have at least 5 players that are contributing in their first and second year. Add the majority of your draftees make the roster, good drafting.

Date: March 26, 2018 09:08AM

Tunsel was ranked as the 47th best tackle last year. Will he improve? Hope so. Was last year a good one for him. Nope.

Regarding Harris, I say he didn't look good. He was in on every passing down last year and started the last few games. Two sacks. Rushing the QB was supposed to be his strength. He was said to be a liability against the run. Trey Hendrickson out of Florida Atlantic was picked in the 3rd round and had essentially the same numbers as Harris in fewer games. How many players that were in our backyard do we miss out on.

Asiata couldn't get playing time on one of the worst offensive lines in the league. Not only was it a bad offensive line, but guard was the weakest position. We had injuries to crappy players and he still couldn't get playing time. Might he improve? Hope so. I'm not holding my breath.

Underwhelming draft at best. Now if you're right, and the last two drafts have been C+ or B-, that should be reflected in the win totals this season. If, however, the record hovers around 5 or 6 wins, then it would point to my being right. We shall see. I've been a huge Fins fan since I was a kid, so I hope I'm wrong but I just don't think I am.

Date: March 26, 2018 09:40AM

Tunsil allowed 5 sacks last year. Im giving him a passing grade on that as a first year starter at LT.

Jason Taylor told Harris relax, basically your rookie body is not nfl ready yet and reminded him that he only had 3 sacks his rookie year.

I like Hendrickson but we will see what Harris does because he is ours.

Nope Asiata was not ready that was known. I think Gase said that he needed a red shirt. He was a 5th rounder, just the way it is.

Im seeing it a as a productive draft. We got some players. That is all you can ask for. I see guys that can develop rather than guys who will not be in the league in 2/3 years. See some of our drafts from 2002-2010.

Date: March 26, 2018 10:39AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
> Tunsil allowed 5 sacks last year. Im giving him a
> passing grade on that as a first year starter at
> LT.
>
> Jason Taylor told Harris relax, basically your
> rookie body is not nfl ready yet and reminded him
> that he only had 3 sacks his rookie year.
>
> I like Hendrickson but we will see what Harris
> does because he is ours.
>
> Nope Asiata was not ready that was known. I think
> Gase said that he needed a red shirt. He was a 5th
> rounder, just the way it is.
>
> Im seeing it a as a productive draft. We got some
> players. That is all you can ask for. I see guys
> that can develop rather than guys who will not be
> in the league in 2/3 years. See some of our drafts
> from 2002-2010.

I hope you're right. I really do. That said, I'm looking at our offense and thinking, who's our best player? Who's our impact player? Who is our play maker? Maybe Drake? After him and solely based upon past production, who knows?

You'd have to admit that last year's defense was pretty piss poor. Yes, I'm hopeful that Howard takes the next step. I really like Lippett and hope he comes all the way back from his injury. Tankersley is interesting because he showed flashes. Next year will be a big year for him because he may not even start if Lippett is all the way back.

If McMillian lives up to the hype, we will have one adequate linebacker on the roster. I absolute hate Alonso. He's constantly taking bad angles on tackles and couldn't cover a one legged 90 year lady. He absolutely needs to be replaced but given his contract, that's not going to happen anytime soon. I am hoping Tremaine Edmunds is there at 11 because he would immediately be our best player on defense.

Defensive line is a huge question mark. I love Cam but he's getting long of tooth. Branch blows and you know how I feel about Harris. Quinn could have an impact IF he can stay healthy which has not been his history. Defensive tackle is a mess right now. Absolutely needs to be addressed in draft though I'm not a fan of Vea because he reminds me too much of Phillips. I'd rather have a guy with less natural ability who has a high motor and doesn't take plays off. Plus, I think linebacker has to be addressed with the first pick.

This is going to be an important year for the trio of Tannenbaum, Grier and Gase. Another sub .500 year and the seats for all three are going to be white hot (as they should be). Honestly, but for the fact that Ross is clueless as an owner, I would say that in the absence of 8 or more wins, Tannenbaum and Grier are gone. Gase's fate would probably be decided by whoever replaces them. But with Ross in charge, who the hell knows what he'd do. They could win 2 games and he might give them an extension and a big raise.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: March 26, 2018 10:48AM

Our wins this year won't suggest much of anything since we have one of the toughest schedules in the league. With the teams we have to play this year 6 wins might actually be a good showing.

Date: March 26, 2018 11:38AM

Ken Wrote:
> Our wins this year won't suggest much of anything
> since we have one of the toughest schedules in the
> league. With the teams we have to play this year 6
> wins might actually be a good showing.

Can't agree with you on that at all. First off, nowadays schedules are hard to handicap because teams change so much from year to year. That said, even if it is a tough schedule, this trio will have had three years to leave their imprint on this team. I'm not saying they have to go to the playoffs (in fact I know they won't) but another 6 win season or less, it would be crazy to not fire them. If they show no improvement, or actually regress (which I think is not only possible but likely) they're going to lose a lot of fans by standing pat. It's not like this group has won anything in the past thereby earning any protracted patience. Beside which, Grier has been with the team for 18 years and was the director of college scouting for 9 years. How much time do we give him?

Date: March 26, 2018 01:27PM

I agree our wins this much will not mean much. We have a qb w/ an injury history with only one winning season behind him. This is going to be a long season but you cannot blame the 1 and 2 year players for that. You are asking for trouble if you do.

Is Gase an offensive play calling genius? This is his year to show it.

We are rebuilding and I think that is the right move. Sometimes you have to step back, regather and go forward instead of treading in space. I think that is what we were doing treading in space.

Yep Grier has been w/ the team for 18 years but only his 3rd as GM and imo totally in charge of the draft.

We lose this guy another team picks him up and its just another loss for the Phins. Plain and simple.

Reshard Jones thought he would be gone by the 2nd rnd. At the combine Grier told him he would take him in the 5th round. Grier told him why he was rated as a 5th rounder. Jones thought he was insane. Bingo we pick him in the 5th and got an all pro safety. This guys dad drafted Brady in the 7th round. I think the guy knows his job.

Date: March 26, 2018 01:39PM

We'll agree to disagree but mark my words, another 6 win or less year, there are going to be a lot more people agreeing with me about what that says about how the team is being run. I think it will be a marketing nightmare for Ross if he keeps all three.

Date: March 26, 2018 01:46PM

NP Grier will land on his feet but right now with a gimp qb this O does not look good. We had better get the qb in the first round if they want to inject some hope for the future for this team.

5...4....3...2...1.. TCP says Tanne is no gimp qb.

Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: March 26, 2018 01:57PM

Fins72 Wrote:
> Ken Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
"Beside which, Grier has been
> with the team for 18 years and was the director of
> college scouting for 9 years. How much time do we
> give him?"

Thank you Fins for bringing up this point.

He's been the one true common denominator throughout the last 10, sorry-ass years. The product on the field is a direct reflection of what's in the FO.(Thank you Captain Obvious)

I'm sure Grier's fingerprints were all over the likes of:
Dion Jordan(moved up in the 1st round for-giving up picks),

Johnathan Martin (single handedly torpedoed potentially a playoff season - took out 2/5 of the O-line over night and created the "bully-gate" nightmare the team had to deal with for most of that year),

Ryan Tannehill (no way in hell an 8th overall pick-Russel Wilson went in the 3rd rd.-we could have gotten RW and Luke Keuchely that year instead of RTangry smiley),

Jamar Taylor(2nd rd BUST. Gotta be able to hit on 2nd rounders).

Grier was also prominent in scouting/evaluating, and bringing in Adam Gase(Gase thanked him by name at his introductory presser), another decision that I have never been impressed with.
Honestly, I'm feeling another Chris Grier BUST on the way.

Date: March 26, 2018 02:23PM

and I think we had a GM whose name was not Grier when we made those selections. I think one of the reasons Grier got promoted was because of draft picks like Jordan, Martin, Tanne etc. I think (as head of scouting) he had players rated higher than these guys that turned out well for other teams and that was eventually noticed.

Gase was Tannenbaum's hire of course Gase thanked the GM that is protocol. Grier was GM for like a few weeks you really think he was a big player.

Only reason Im behind Grier is since we have had the Tannenbaum, Gase and Grier troika the only thing that has been steady has been our draft. Our 2016 and 2017 drafts have been one of the few signs of competency and that is a reflection of Grier who is in charge of the draft.

Date: March 26, 2018 02:38PM

and Im going to make a point re the 3 players we lost Landry, Pouncey and Suh. Winning teams were not exactly lining up for these guys. Landry went to CLE, Pouncey SD and Suh just signed a 1 year contract w/ the Rams. A 1 year contract 'show me' basically. No one else is going to dummy up like the Phins on Suh.

There is a reason for that I really think these guys don't bring the leadership that is necessary to build a winning squad. I have always said that. Talented yes, leaders no.

Date: March 26, 2018 03:23PM

Who are the leaders on the current roster? Got to be honest with you, I don't see anyone on offense or defense that could described as a leader.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: March 26, 2018 03:41PM

Would you have said that about Griese or Marino? Or even Woodley or Strocl? But leader and Tannehill just don't seem to go together. Tannehill and tough go together. Tannehill and smart guy go toge8. But not tough.

Date: March 27, 2018 02:08AM

We don't but someone will have to step up. As I said before the best we got with these was 10-6. It was time for a shakeup. I have no problem watching them go. Tanne is the starting qb, he needs to lead.
Jones is our best d player lead. Wake needs to wake up and lead.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: March 27, 2018 03:40AM

Leadership in Football: Some thoughts--being a vocal player, a big mouth, doesn't necessarily mean the player can get others to follow his suggestions, advice and energy. Leading by example, playing well in every respect, followed by enthusiastic words and energy may attract some to improve their thoughts and ability to execute plays.

Wake has proved to be a tough and durable player who shows A+ effort on the field. He could at this point in his career, speak up and provide those energized words to junior members of the team and get them to work harder and become more proficient. However, if he doesn't have leadership qualities in him, expecting him to suddenly become a leader is too much to expect. Suh, in my opinion, was anything but a leader. He appeared selfish and consumed with his own thoughts.

RT is the QB, he doesn't exhibit keen leadership qualities to me. He is too quiet, reserved and to me a follower in search of a leader.

Who will lead? The door appears to be wide open. Perhaps it will be a player on the "new" offensive line. A transplant to the team.

We shall see....

Date: March 27, 2018 05:41AM

Ken Wrote:
> Our wins this year won't suggest much of anything
> since we have one of the toughest schedules in the
> league. With the teams we have to play this year 6
> wins might actually be a good showing.

Ken, I have to say that this is a perplexing position to take. First of all, in what alternate reality is a 6 win season considered good? Secondly, aren't you the one that said that last year, if we'd had Tannehill, we'd have made the playoffs? So, what will be your barometer for how Tannenbaum, Grier, and Gase are doing this season? If they have a one or two win season, is that it. Moreover, the schedule includes home games against Chicago, Tennesee, Oakland, Jets, and Bills. Away games include Jets, Bengals, Colts, Bills, and Texans. Cutting players like Suh and Pouncey were made for cap reasons. Who put us in the cap situation in the first place? Who signed Branch and Alonso to extensions that ate up 20 million in cap room? They knew the cap situations long before this season. What was their plan for cutting Suh? If it includes thinking that Phillips wills step up, I think they're going to be sadly mistaken. Honestly, my patience for Gase, Tannenbaum, and Grier is at an end. Obviously, Ross can do whatever the hell he wants with his team, but I'm done spending a dime on this team if a 5 or 6 win season results in no changes. Just my opinion.

Date: March 27, 2018 08:24AM

colonel Wrote:
>

> Suh, in my opinion, was anything but a leader. He
> appeared selfish and consumed with his own
> thoughts.
>

>
> We shall see....

Now Suh did take Jordan Phillips under his wing in last year and trained w/ him and I respected him for that. Also think he had something to do with Godchaux and Taylors development. So I think he did some things at the positional level. I respect him more than some of the others for that. AHis unit played well and Im willing to give him some of the credit for that.

Date: March 27, 2018 11:59AM

Suh and Aaron Donald playing next to each other. That will be a nightmare for opposing offenses. The Rams are frigging loaded and have to be the preseason favorites to win it all.

Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: March 27, 2018 02:05PM

Fins72 Wrote:
> Suh and Aaron Donald playing next to each other.
> That will be a nightmare for opposing offenses.
> The Rams are frigging loaded and have to be the
> preseason favorites to win it all.

No one's confusing Chris Grier with Les Snead.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.