HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Defensive Line
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Defensive Line
Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: March 16, 2018 04:59AM

The way the defensive line has been handled is so representative of how badly the talent evaluation and cap management is with this team. The team has almost 37 million invested in the defensive line (that's excluding Suh). The highest rated player on the defensive line is Cameron Wake at #28. The worst is Branch at #96 (who has the second highest cap number this year at 10 million). The team adds Robert Quinn who has a fairly significant injury history and now the highest cap number at over 11 million. The fact that last year he was rated 87th in the league is not encouraging. As an aside, the highest rated Dolphin last year was Suh at 5th. There's no defensive tackle on the roster that even comes close. I suspect that a high draft pick (maybe first rounder) is going to be spent on a defensive tackle out of pure necessity.

I listed the PFF rankings for each player and they're mediocre. I'm guessing that the team has probably more tied into the defensive line in cap dollars than most teams in the league but nothing to show for it. It's no wonder the defense was so bad last year and not likely to get much better in the absence of a spectacular draft class. If things go as expected and the team under-performs again, perhaps Ross will finally wise up and replace the front office with people who know talent and can manage the cap more wisely. I'm skeptical but we can only hope.

Jordan Phillips #74
Charles Harris #49
Andre Branch #96
Cameron Wake #28
Davon Godchaux #84
Robert Quinn #87

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Defensive Line
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: March 27, 2018 10:20PM

You do know that PFF is itself considered mediocre at best? And that their 'rankings' don't mean very much to most knowledgable football people?

"If things go as expected and the team under-performs again"
Expected by whom? You? So, in fact, this just another opinion. And, if based on PFF rankings, an uninformed opinion.

Rick

Date: March 28, 2018 02:51AM

I take it you're happy with the state of the defensive line and how it's been handled? You would've extended Branch? Traded for Quinn? Which of the players that I mentioned do you think is being misrepresented by PFF? It's one thing to say you don't like the way PFF's rating methodology, it's another to show where they're wrong.

Posted by: thegreathoo ()
Date: March 28, 2018 04:10AM

I think they are aware of the financial clog at DE. Three guys are making $30 mil. It's hard to cut Wake, or trade him because of his service to the team, and considering his passing downs value. Branch is also difficult to cut because of cap implications. They needed to improve and got Quinn. No big deal, it happens.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: March 28, 2018 04:35AM

Our run D finished 14, pass I think 17. So that makes me think PFF numbers are off. I too rarely agree w/ PFF they seem to pull numbers out of their ******.

Harris, Taylor and Godchaux hopefully will improve in their second year. Each showed some flashes as rookies (so will Malveaux). Branch's play dropped off in 2017 but he was good on the strong side in 2016. Quinn Im waiting to see what he brings. Wake is Wake. Hayes comes back from injury.

There are players can the coaches scheme

Yeah we gotta replace Suh but my primary concern is the back 7 and our unimaginary defenses. Inconsistencies at CB, Alonzo stunk in coverage in 2017, we did not max out on Jones and McDonald at safety.

A lot of blame goes to the F/O and players as it should but our coaches need to be put on notice too.

Date: March 28, 2018 06:42AM

Saying we gotta replace Suh is easier said than done. The problem is that we have huge holes at linebacker and DT. Whichever one you address with pick #11, you're gonna have to hope that there's someone at pick #42 that you address the other. Problem is that there are too many holes to fill. Have to be really lucky with later picks. Luck has never been a friend of the Fins.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 28, 2018 06:53AM

Date: March 28, 2018 06:57AM

Im not upset about SUH leaving 1 iota. Becuase he had no impact. I was happy as shit he didn't sign with a AFC east team though. Our defense was like an expensive old vintage car . Costs alot to maintain and didnt perform.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2018 03:23AM by TreasurecoastPhinsfan.

Date: March 28, 2018 07:00AM

He was a great run stuffer but the LBs didnt help him one bit.

Watch the wreck he is going to cause playing for the rams.

Why?

Because he has the supporting cast.

We didnt have that.

Date: March 28, 2018 07:04AM

You know what some aren't considering? Suh was double and sometimes triple teamed and yet Phillips and others were still unable to make plays. What happens when teams no longer have to double and triple team anyone anymore?

Date: March 28, 2018 07:09AM

Fins72 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You know what some aren't considering? Suh was
> double and sometimes triple teamed and yet
> Phillips and others were still unable to make
> plays. What happens when teams no longer have to
> double and triple team anyone anymore?

He was tripled teamed many times but like i said no supporting cast.

Suh with the rams = Pick your poison.

Date: March 28, 2018 07:52AM

What's amazing is that Suh won't even be the best DT on the team. Aaron Donald is even better. Those two will feed off each other.

Date: March 29, 2018 03:25AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> He was a great run stuffer but the LBs didnt help
> him one bit.
>
> Watch the wreck he is going to cause playing for
> the rams.
>
> Why?
>
> Because he has the supporting cast.
>
> We didnt have that.

GREAT POST SAM!

I only wish you can see it also applies to Ryan Tannehill. eye rolling smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: March 29, 2018 05:43AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> samsam3738 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > He was a great run stuffer but the LBs didnt
> help
> > him one bit.
> >
> > Watch the wreck he is going to cause playing
> for
> > the rams.
> >
> > Why?
> >
> > Because he has the supporting cast.
> >
> > We didnt have that.
>
> GREAT POST SAM!
>
> I only wish you can see it also applies to Ryan
> Tannehill. eye rolling smiley

It applies to him too. The Oline could had been better. Not denying that.

I think he can be even better with a great supporting cast.

But its depressing as hell when he struggles too much. You know that.

If he can stay healthy this year there will be no excuses for tannehill. But lets hope he can play all 16 games first.

We got a couple of good guys for the Oline. I think we draft 1 or 2 more. We'll see.

Date: March 29, 2018 07:24AM

It's a start. Getting rid of Pouncy was big. That's why I'd like more draft picks. I'd love at least 2 Oline picks in the first 4 rounds.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: March 29, 2018 11:54PM

"I'd love at least 2 Oline picks in the first 4 rounds."

Oh, no, I think that would be a mistake. We have too many holes to fill elsewhere and we did get some 0-line help in free agency, as well as having some of the young guys step up last year (Davis, Young) to do that.

Rick

Date: March 30, 2018 04:25AM

Maybe from 4th to 7th we can get a couple of Oline players....I wouldnt be mad if that happens.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: March 30, 2018 06:14AM

dolphan4545 Wrote:
> "I'd love at least 2 Oline picks in the first 4
> rounds."
>
> Oh, no, I think that would be a mistake. We have
> too many holes to fill elsewhere and we did get
> some 0-line help in free agency, as well as having
> some of the young guys step up last year (Davis,
> Young) to do that.

and the staff was high on uda OT Smith from UVA. I think they placed him on IR so that no one would snatch him off the practice squad. As well as guys like Asiata and Hickey coming back w/ a year under their belts. We have o-linemen.

Date: March 30, 2018 06:54AM

dolphan4545 Wrote:
> "I'd love at least 2 Oline picks in the first 4
> rounds."
>
> Oh, no, I think that would be a mistake. We have
> too many holes to fill elsewhere and we did get
> some 0-line help in free agency, as well as having
> some of the young guys step up last year (Davis,
> Young) to do that.

Exactly why I want to draft down and collect more picks.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: April 04, 2018 02:52PM

Well, I don't agree with that strategy at all because we already have eight picks in this draft (more than we normally do), and we have so many holes and question marks to fill that BPA would certainly be useful at almost any position. I advocate BPA in every round, though trades involving lower round draft picks should be considered. Hey, maybe we could get a player like Landry for a fourth.

Rick

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2018 03:16PM by dolphan4545.

Date: April 04, 2018 02:59PM

"Maybe from 4th to 7th we can get a couple of Oline players....I wouldnt be mad if that happens.

Me either. Sounds like a reasonable idea. To me, O-line is as important a position as QB.

Rick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.