HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Amendola Expected to Sign with Dolphins
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Amendola Expected to Sign with Dolphins
Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: March 13, 2018 09:53AM

This actually makes more sense to me than the Wilson signing. I know Amendola has an injury history and is 32. Don't get me wrong, Landry is the better player, younger with much more upside, but at least Amendola has good hands and can perhaps replace some of what Landry brought to the table. How much they're paying him is going to be interesting. They're paying 8 million a year to Wilson. If they're paying Amendola a similar amount, I'd have rather signed Landry. We'll see.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Amendola Expected to Sign with Dolphins
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: March 13, 2018 10:22AM

With Amendola, Wilson, Carroo, Grant, Parker, Stills and Drake we should be able to replace all of Landry's catches.

We should also be able to field a very good four and five WR set.

Speed also won't be a problem either with Drake, Wilson, Grant and Stills all running 4.3 or low 4.4 40's.

On paper we should be formidable in the WR room.

Date: March 13, 2018 11:22AM

I wouldn't count on Carroo. The scuttlebutt is that signing both Wilson and Amendola was a statement that they've given up on Carroo. My feelings about Parker are well known on this forum. I think he's a bust because I don't believe that a receiver who can't play hurt can be successful in today's NFL. I like Stills but have my doubts that Grant can be anything more than a gadget type player. His hands are suspect though if used correctly, I think he can pose match up problems for defenses. I'm still skeptical that the offense can be better than mediocre without significant upgrade on the offensive line. It was neglected last year and it was disastrous.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 13, 2018 12:20PM

man we overpaid for that KC receiver. And Amendola is old and always hurt. Guaranteed if we just waited a bit we could have gotten just as good players for less. I don't like the idea of taking the Landry money and just giving it to 2 lesser WRs. Would rather roll with what we got, drafted one, and signed a lower priced vet. Typical poor FO moves.

Date: March 13, 2018 12:49PM

Still waiting for them to address the #1 problem with the offense for the last decade........

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 13, 2018 12:50PM

2 years 12 million to amendola

Both signings together dont make a landry.

The other receiver 8 mill a year.

Date: March 13, 2018 12:52PM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Still waiting for them to address the #1 problem
> with the offense for the last decade........

Hopefully not on the first round...

I dont know why you insist they havent addressed the OLIne....We even drafted a couple of first rounders OLinemen not so long ago..it just didnt work out...

Open your eyes dude...

Tannehill is not that good and needs to be replaced.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: March 13, 2018 03:02PM

landry was seeking 14.5 per year so we traded him. at that point, if they couldn't afford him they should have promoted caroo, isaiah ford, rashawn scott or drafted one in the late rounds.

instead we spent 14mm/year for 2 less productive wrs. that money could have been spent on norwell.

this team creates holes and spends years trying to fill them.

enough is enough.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: March 13, 2018 05:40PM

LOL. Amendola was one of Brady's dink and dunk guys so if Tanny does come back this year, this is just the kind of receiver we need, particularly after losing Landry. He should get us the first down 6 to 8 yards.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: March 13, 2018 07:58PM

Landry was slow and averaged less than 9 yrs a catch and 1000 yds and wanted $15m

Smart to move him for something. Most former Phins are big payday busts. Clay, Vernon, Miller,

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: March 14, 2018 12:42AM

As long as he stays healthy, Amendola is pretty clutch. NE fans are mourning his loss. His age is up there though...So I hope that his playing time is confined to critical situations to minimize risk of him going down with an injury.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: March 14, 2018 03:07AM

Wilson stretches the field better than Landry, it can be argued. Amendola is clutch but I really would have liked to see the money get spent on an interior Olineman. Phins appear to be going after nfl ready receivers because they have problems developing their own. Parker, underdeveloped, Carroo see underdeveloped. Morgan I thought he would be ready to step up after a year in camp but we just signed 2 receivers. Anyone checked on Isaiah Ford he was looking good in camp before he went down. That's 4 wrs and we went out and picked up 2.

This coaching staff is still not getting the job done.

Did someone say we still have interior oline issues?

Posted by: pafinfan ()
Date: March 14, 2018 03:33AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> Still waiting for them to address the #1 problem
> with the offense for the last decade........
I doubt they will ever fix the ownership problem. grinning smiley

Date: March 14, 2018 04:30AM

After some additional reflection, I like the recent moves less and less. First off, collectively, they're paying Wilson and Amendola roughly the same as what they could've kept Landry for. So, we can really compare apples to apples. Wilson last year was averaging 26 receiving yards per game before Week 17 of the 2017 season. He had a big game against Denver that inflated his numbers (147 yards).The last time he had a 100 yard game before Denver was in his last year of college in 2013. Amendola will turn 33 this year and has had a history of concussions (the last one of which occurred last year). There is no realistic thought that he will be in Miami past this contract as the number of 35 year old wide receivers in this league is fairly small. So, if Miami has in fact rented Amendola for two years, who among us thinks that they will contend in the next two years? If they don't, then the signing makes no sense. Landry on the other hand is 25 years old and could potentially play for the next 10 years. Therefore, stupid move as I would've expected from Tannenbaum.

Date: March 14, 2018 07:20AM

Amendola gives us experience, discipline and leadership for the next two years...He knows how to prepare and he moves the chains. He's an example to our younger players and is going to help them do things the right way. That's why he's here. Landry just couldnt provide the leadership. Effort and passion he had in spades, but not leadership and discipline. Wilson adds speed and a vertical element Landry just didn't have and he's an ascending player. All of this while both players come in for less money than we'd have had to pay Landry to stay.

These moves are simple to understand even if you don't agree with them.

Date: March 14, 2018 07:53AM

Speedy receivers are a dime a dozen. Wilson last year had 42 receptions for 550 yards. The year before 31 receptions for 279 yards. They paid him 8 million dollars a year. He's not worth 8 million. Sorry but it's true. I like Amendola but he's a rental. He'll never play on a Dolphins playoff team because he won't be here that long. I'd have preferred spending a draft pick on a receiver and save the 14 million to pick up a decent guard. You can paint it anyway you want, but we got rid of a young two time pro bowl wide receiver for an old injury prone wide receiver and a young unproven wide receiver. If it makes sense to you, that's all good and well. It doesn't to me and I'll bet it doesn't to a lot of other fans. I guess we'll see if the two of them can match Landry's production. I doubt they will. If they don't, it will another one in a long line of Tannenbaum gaffes that further the transformation of the Dolphins into the Browns. Even the Browns have improved. Miami may now be the new Browns.

Date: March 14, 2018 08:14AM

We are far worse than the browns...

At least the browns management and front office wants to improve their team.

What the dolphins keep doing is making stupid moves.

Moves that make no sense and we keep getting worse every year.

Date: March 14, 2018 08:36AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> We are far worse than the browns...
>
>
> At least the browns management and front office
> wants to improve their team.
>
>
> What the dolphins keep doing is making stupid
> moves.
>
>
> Moves that make no sense and we keep getting worse
> every year.

Sam, I'm in total agreement with you. The reality is that this s**t show will not improve until there is a complete re-set of the front office. Tannenbaum--out. Grier--out. Honestly, I was willing to give Gase the benefit of the doubt but all this BS about culture and calling every player they get rid of a malcontent is getting old. When so many players are "unmanageable" maybe the problem rests with the person who is "managing" them.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: March 14, 2018 11:21AM

Fins72 Wrote:
> Speedy receivers are a dime a dozen. Wilson last
> year had 42 receptions for 550 yards. The year
> before 31 receptions for 279 yards. They paid him
> 8 million dollars a year. He's not worth 8
> million. Sorry but it's true. I like Amendola but
> he's a rental. He'll never play on a Dolphins
> playoff team because he won't be here that long.
> I'd have preferred spending a draft pick on a
> receiver and save the 14 million to pick up a
> decent guard. You can paint it anyway you want,
> but we got rid of a young two time pro bowl wide
> receiver for an old injury prone wide receiver and
> a young unproven wide receiver. If it makes sense
> to you, that's all good and well. It doesn't to me
> and I'll bet it doesn't to a lot of other fans. I
> guess we'll see if the two of them can match
> Landry's production. I doubt they will. If they
> don't, it will another one in a long line of
> Tannenbaum gaffes that further the transformation
> of the Dolphins into the Browns. Even the Browns
> have improved. Miami may now be the new Browns.

Amendola is a good player, but as has been emphasized on this board, he is 33 years old with concussions. I believe he received $8M while Wilson received $6M.

I agree, that $8M could have gone to another position of need. Miami could get a slot receiver in the draft, i.e., Barrios from the U. How much will Barrios receive for his rookie contract, especially if he is drafted in the 6th or 7th round? Even with those two signings, if Barrios is there for Miami in the 6th round, I would grab him. Who knows if the above two will pan out or Amendola goes down (again).

To me, WR was not a priority for Miami. OL and LB should be the priorities.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: March 14, 2018 11:26AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> We are far worse than the browns...
>
>
> At least the browns management and front office
> wants to improve their team.
>
>
> What the dolphins keep doing is making stupid
> moves.
>
>
> Moves that make no sense and we keep getting worse
> every year.

Well, Sam, I would not look at the Browns as cellar-dwellers any longer. The moves they have made over the last two years has built them to be in the running this year. Even if they don't make the playoffs, they will do some damage.

But, they have been able to do this because they have dumped many players and traded away some of their "key" people to obtain a great amount of drafts and cap space.

The way Miami's FO does business has put Miami in a hole that they are having a hard time crawling out of, and the only way they are able to do that is by getting rid of many of their star players.

Where is Bobbie Beathard when we need him?

Date: March 14, 2018 11:43AM

Guys it's not so much that I agree with our moves as I understand what they are doing and why they are doing it.

I would have paid Landry and I'd have restructured Suh so we got another two seasons out of him before we were forced to cut him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2018 12:41PM by Ken.

Date: March 14, 2018 02:08PM

Quote: When so many players are "unmanageable" maybe the problem rests with the person who is "managing" them.

Exatly right....

I thought about that many times.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.