HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Stephen Ross Takes a Shot at Miami in NY paper
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Stephen Ross Takes a Shot at Miami in NY paper
Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: March 06, 2018 06:51AM

Every day and in every way, I'm learning to dislike Ross more and more. He's destroying the team that I've followed loyally for 37 years. His hires have been idiotic. Then he's quoted in a NY paper: "Miami is a great city. It's not a great sports town," said Ross. You know, I realize that in a city where the weather is great year round, it's tough to get people to come to the stadium the way other fan bases do. But, in fairness to the fans, when's the last time that this team has had a realistic shot at a championship? If Ross doesn't like Miami the sports town, please, please, please sell the team. If a new owner begins to make smart decisions and the wins start piling up, you can bet the attendance will improve. Once again, Ross, you're 77 years old. You're clueless about how to run a team. You're obviously more of a NY guy than a Florida one. Sell the team. Buy the jets and take Tannenbaum and Grier with you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stephen Ross Takes a Shot at Miami in NY paper
Date: March 06, 2018 07:37AM

Hes right about it not being a great town for sports anymore. I went to go watch the Heat recently. The traffic going North after the game was insane. Nobody watching the game was from Miami. Ross rebuilding the stadium was a silly Idea IMO. He should have moved to Orlando and commissioned a new stadium . So much land elsewhere in Florida.

That said......I agree he has been a very poor owner. Hes just not a Football guy. Hes out of touch with blue collar fans. Hes always been a Hollywood socialite wannabe. Fancy night clubs and red carpets in the stadium dont help the average fan experience or win championships. Every game I've went to since the upgrade the fancy leather seats that occupy the entire section from the 40 yd lines behind the Dolphins go empty. Dont get me started on the New Logo and changing our fight song!!? You Mother Fer. No respect for our past.

New owner would make a huge impact going back to our old Logo. Grab fans loyalty and rip out those over priced leather seats! WTF? If Joe Robby could see that he would puke. 1973 the Dolphins were about winning. The Fans would sit on wooden boxes for all they care at the Orange bowl.

This guy is a slick businessman. He couldn't give a shit about the fans or our heritage/history. They dont get a dime of my hard earned $$$$$ anymore.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 06, 2018 08:10AM

Of course its not a sports town....Specially not a beaseball town or football town...

Maybe when they start winning in football again it will become a sports town again like when the orange bowls was the place to be in the 80s.

And when talking about baseball please....2 world championships and right after it they traded every player....

Not spending any money in baseball either.

And a huge FU to the owners.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: March 06, 2018 09:04AM

Right Sam winning changes everything, we win people love the unis and the fight song. Right now phins are a bunch of losers and have been for a while. The rot started before Ross. We have not won a Superbowl in 45 years. Even with Marino we were getting out coached by the likes of Walsh and Siefert. Our owners could never match wits w/ the likes of Jones and Rooney. Robby cost us a dynasty when he let Warfield and Zonk leave. Pitt and OAK could not beat us when we had those two. Robby is no saint the cheap b---

Phins have been sliding since 74. We had some good years but there were always teams better than us. We have not been top dog in the league since the early 70s. We have not been handling the progression of the game well.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 06, 2018 11:56AM

miami IS a horrible sports town. anyone who takes offense at that comment needs to grow up

Date: March 06, 2018 03:02PM

Whether you believe that or not, it's a pretty dumb thing for the owner of a Miami pro franchise to say. Ross should shut up and concentrate on putting a decent product on the field because so far, he and it have been pathetic.

Date: March 07, 2018 05:10AM

S FL is just a great place to be weather wise and sometimes when the Dolphins really suck just being outside cutting your lawn on a nice S Fl autumn afternoon is better than watching these sucks.

I get what Ross is saying no harm no foul.

Date: March 07, 2018 06:14AM

I think Miami sometimes gets a bad rap as being a bad sports town. Last year, it was 16th in average attendance ahead of playoff teams, Jacksonville, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Minnesota, New England, and Tennessee. This despite being a mediocre team. If Ross would put someone in charge that had a clue, and this team began winning division titles, I think we'd see a huge impact on the attendance numbers. Sadly, we may never know until Ross is no longer the owner.

Date: March 07, 2018 07:14AM

When one of her teams is winning Miami is up there with any sports city in the nation.

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: March 07, 2018 03:16PM

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: March 07, 2018 03:58PM

"If you build it they will come" doesn't apply to baseball or football in South Florida, it only pertains to widening roadways. "If you win, they will come" is fitting for Dolphins. Nothing more, nothing less than "winning."

Ross is just a rich guy with a toy in his closet to play with. He should sell the team to investors that have winning as their focus, not hopeful celebrity status. Rubbing shoulders with the Hollywood and music entertainers doesn't mean beans.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: March 07, 2018 05:45PM

Yes. Please sell, Ross.

Date: March 07, 2018 05:52PM

NO. We win the Fing Superbowl I'll still hate that @#$%& logo.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: March 07, 2018 06:57PM

Date: March 08, 2018 05:52AM

Do you read the other posts?

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: March 08, 2018 06:25AM

Who cares about the logo if we win the superbowl...

I dont care if they win it all in pink uniforms.

Just win it.

I will just settle for making the playoffs and having another week of dolphins football.

Date: March 08, 2018 06:29AM

We been struggling for the last 20 years to make playoffs and some people still thinking about the uniforms.

I know that phins logo with the wide eyebrows looks kind of squirmish.....But who cares.

I bet if we dominate the league next year nobody will remember about the logos. Even You TCPF.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: March 08, 2018 08:49AM

"Miami is a great city. It's not a great sports town," said Ross. Take offense, if you want. its just another justification to not like our owner. You and everybody else know that this is an absolutely accurate statement.

Rick

Date: March 09, 2018 04:03AM

dolphan4545 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Miami is a great city. It's not a great sports
> town," said Ross. Take offense, if you want. its
> just another justification to not like our owner.
> You and everybody else know that this is an
> absolutely accurate statement.

For the sake of argument, let's say it's completely true. Why would the owner of an NFL franchise in Miami make a statement like that? What was the purpose? Alienating fans isn't a good way to help make the city a better sport's town.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: March 09, 2018 07:52AM

Every day and in every way, I'm learning to dislike Ross more and more. He's destroying the team that I've followed loyally for 37 years. His hires have been idiotic. Then he's quoted in a NY paper: "Miami is a great city. It's not a great sports town," said Ross. You know, I realize that in a city where the weather is great year round, it's tough to get people to come to the stadium the way other fan bases do. But, in fairness to the fans, when's the last time that this team has had a realistic shot at a championship? If Ross doesn't like Miami the sports town, please, please, please sell the team. If a new owner begins to make smart decisions and the wins start piling up, you can bet the attendance will improve. Once again, Ross, you're 77 years old. You're clueless about how to run a team. You're obviously more of a NY guy than a Florida one. Sell the team. Buy the jets and take Tannenbaum and Grier with you.

Amen!

Date: March 09, 2018 12:18PM

Welcome back, BNF.

Date: March 09, 2018 01:45PM

"Why would the owner of an NFL franchise in Miami make a statement like that? What was the purpose?"

The Purpose? He was stating an opinion. Free Speech. For what purpose was his statement made a lead sports story?

Rick

Date: March 09, 2018 01:58PM

First, Miami is a major city. It is not Podunk, Idaho. Ross owns a major sports franchise in that major city. He then states that it is a lousy town for a sports franchise. Do you really, really, really, really, honest to God really, wonder why this is front page news in that same city???????????confused smileyconfused smileyconfused smiley

Are you related by blood to Ross, Rick?

Posted by: JC ()
Date: March 10, 2018 07:51AM

dolphan4545 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Miami is a great city. It's not a great sports
> town," said Ross. Take offense, if you want. its
> just another justification to not like our owner.
> You and everybody else know that this is an
> absolutely accurate statement.

He should NOT have said that. At all. Even if it's at least partly true.

When I was a kid, Miami couldn't even be defined as a "sports town" AT ALL, much less a 'great' sports town. This is because the Dolphins were the ONLY professional team in the ENTIRE STATE of Florida. That said, we were a great Sport (singular) town. The Orange Bowl was bursting at the seams every time.

Nowadays, our Dolphins are middle of the pack in attendance (2017--actually better than I'd thought)

The Heat consistently do very, very well in attendance.

but.....

The Panthers are near the bottom of NHL attendance figures year after year.

The Canes are doing significantly better, but still have embarrassing home numbers.

The Marlins? my God--two championships, new stadium (ironically where the OB once stood) and you can go bowling down the aisles.

So while Miami may not be a 'great' sports town, it does no good for the Dolphins to go on record to say that. Instead he should be talking about ways to improve attendance. Stadium renovations were a good move. Getting rid of the most exciting player on the team WAS A STEP IN THE WRONG DIRECTION.

i'm interested to see how well/poorly the home numbers are this coming season.

Date: March 10, 2018 08:19AM

While it bugs me that an some guy expressing an opinion is villified by people and news outlets alike, this post seems pretty accurate to me.

Rick

Date: March 10, 2018 09:41AM

"He then states that it is a lousy town for a sports franchise"

Is that a lawyer tactic, restating a quote to say something other than what the original quote actually said? That is NOT what he said. It isn't even close to what he said. Typical.

Rick

Date: March 10, 2018 08:39PM

Date: March 11, 2018 09:00AM

"Miami is a great city. It's not a great sports town," said Ross"

Can you read?!? Does "not great" = "lousy" in your vernacular? Pretty wiiiiide gap between the two.

Rick

Date: March 11, 2018 11:02AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.