Home
THIS SITE
  About Phins.com
  Contact Us
  Staff
TEAM NEWS
  Team Info
  Twitter Feeds
  News Wire
  XML News
  Subscribe using any news reader
  News Articles
  Mobile News
  On Porpoise
GAMES
  Schedule
PERSONNEL
  Roster
  Depth Chart
  Training Camp
  Draft
FOR THE FANS
  Forums
  Places To Watch
  Dolphins Links
  Game Tickets
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute
  News Archive
  Past Games
  Transactions
  Past Rosters
SUPPORT PHINS.COM
  Dolphins Fan Shop
  Phins.com Apparel
 
-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com
 
  Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Landry
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Landry
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: December 03, 2017 10:19AM

With Alshon Jeffery signing a 52 million dollar extension making Landry the #1 receiver available in the off season...Juice may be as good as gone.

I think it'll take between 40 and 55 mil to keep him.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2017 12:35PM by Ken.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Landry
Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: December 03, 2017 02:35PM

From what I've seen on the field Landry turned out to be a possession receiver. He's fine at that but he won't break the game open, hence no one will pay that kind of cash for him.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Landry
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: December 04, 2017 08:48AM

Yeah let landry go like welker. Good Job.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Landry
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 04, 2017 09:52AM

Yeah, how did letting Welker turn out for us? Just great! NOT!!!!! And "just a possession receiver"??? Yeah, when that "break away" receiver doesn't "break away" who is your alternative....ask Tom Brady.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Landry
Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: December 04, 2017 10:23AM

Welker was a rare commodity at the time, only the Pats valued that style of hands and quickness player. Now that the NFL and NCAAF saw what Welker did for the Pats, they are common, a dime a dozen, therefore the value has gone down. If you want to talk breakaway, I'm talking about the top tier guys with the hands and the legs to score a TD every time they catch the ball. The list is short for me: Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, OBJ*, AJ Green, DeAndre Hopkins, Tyreek Hill, Davante Adams, Brandin Cooks, Adam Thielen, Michael Thomas. That's it. I'd put Jeffery on that list but I think his numbers are inflated by excellent throws by Carson Wentz.

Landry is tier 2 for me.

Landry is kind of like Dez Bryant. A solid player, who will make a lot of catches..but won't go anywhere. His YPC is a ridiculously low 8.7 right now. That's not top echelon and never will be. The good news though is maybe the bids won't be too high and the Dolphins keep him.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Landry
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: December 04, 2017 10:52AM

Yup Landry is only the best posession receiver in the nfl.

No biggie.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Landry
Posted by: Mike8272 ()
Date: December 05, 2017 03:41AM

toko34 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Welker was a rare commodity at the time, only the
> Pats valued that style of hands and quickness
> player. Now that the NFL and NCAAF saw what
> Welker did for the Pats, they are common, a dime a
> dozen, therefore the value has gone down. If you
> want to talk breakaway, I'm talking about the top
> tier guys with the hands and the legs to score a
> TD every time they catch the ball. The list is
> short for me: Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, OBJ*,
> AJ Green, DeAndre Hopkins, Tyreek Hill, Davante
> Adams, Brandin Cooks, Adam Thielen, Michael
> Thomas. That's it. I'd put Jeffery on that list
> but I think his numbers are inflated by excellent
> throws by Carson Wentz.
>
> Landry is tier 2 for me.
>
> Landry is kind of like Dez Bryant. A solid
> player, who will make a lot of catches..but won't
> go anywhere. His YPC is a ridiculously low 8.7
> right now. That's not top echelon and never will
> be. The good news though is maybe the bids won't
> be too high and the Dolphins keep him.

True, there are more receivers coming out every year that can do similar things to what Wes Welker did for many years for the Patriots and Broncos, but that doesn't mean you let a proven player like Landry walk because you might be able to replace him in the draft with someone cheaper. The only time you let them go is if they get greedy and start to want tier 1 money. As long as Landry's salary demands remain similar to Keenan Allen and Doug Baldwin, then I think it makes total sense to extend him. You might point towards the steady stream of receivers coming into the league and his paltry 8.7 ypc as reason to not extend him, but Landry does bring a lot to the team and is well worth extending (and that ypc would be higher with better quarterback play).

The dime a dozen argument is one that I've always had a bit of an issue with. For example, lot's of people say it when talking about running backs and extending them. In recent seasons we've seen first round picks make huge impacts like Todd Gurley and Ezekiel Elliot, and we've seen third round players like Kareem Hunt and Alvin Kamara make huge impacts. So does that mean now that teams are going to not bother extending their running backs and simply draft another one? Let's say Drake gives us a couple of thousand yard seasons in 2018 and 2019, do we let him walk and draft someone new because of the steady stream of backs making an impact, or do we extend him because we've found ourselves a valuable player? I'll be honest, I'm in the camp that says extend them because when you get good players you should keep them as long as the price is right.

Obviously a lot of people like the Patriots plug and play approach, but how many teams have been able to successfully replicate that approach over the long term like the Patriots have done? Unfortunately most teams have to extend their players rather than move on from them and plug in new ones.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Landry
Date: December 05, 2017 04:26AM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Landry
Posted by: Grimey13 ()
Date: December 05, 2017 04:40AM

I know this really doesn't mean anything about his play but I only have a few jersey that I actually bought for myself.

Of course I have a Marino jersey, JT and a few Zach Thomas jerseys (ZT was my dude...Baller). All bought 10+ years ago. Landry is the only one I have bought over the past 10 years.

He is the one player on this team I would hate to see go. More so if he goes within the division and rips us apart twice a year.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Landry
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 05, 2017 09:24AM

Another thing about stats. Even season wide they are misleading. If you are good as a receiver, they make sure you are covered. If you are covered, it is not wise for the QB to try to force the ball to you.

So then, stat arm chairs sit back and look at your game or season stats and say, "Hey, this guy's no good."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Landry
Date: December 05, 2017 09:47AM

Grimey13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know this really doesn't mean anything about his
> play but I only have a few jersey that I actually
> bought for myself.
>
> Of course I have a Marino jersey, JT and a few
> Zach Thomas jerseys (ZT was my dude...Baller).
> All bought 10+ years ago. Landry is the only one
> I have bought over the past 10 years.
>
> He is the one player on this team I would hate to
> see go. More so if he goes within the division
> and rips us apart twice a year.

You mirror me exactly Grimey! 54 was my boy! Loved him. I'm not excited about anyone on the team really at this ppoint except Landry.I dig Wake.....but he was never drafted here. Kind of like a a dog rescue no one wanted unlike a pup you raised likr a baby (landry) kicked ass out of the gate. This team better find the money.

Next year we get a roof and despite the shade.......a lot more sunshine blown up our asses!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Landry
Posted by: steviec13 ()
Date: December 10, 2017 02:57AM

Treasurecoast:

I couldn't agree with you more. Landry is truly special.
Not only is he a play maker, he plays with fire. He makes all the other players around him better. He is durable, and is definitely a future hall of famer.
Can you imagine Tom Brady passing to him? SCARY!
If they let him go, I am DONE with this team. And I am serious....
Tannenbaum and Gase...sign him immediately!

Steviec13

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Landry
Date: December 10, 2017 09:55AM

steviec13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Treasurecoast:
>
> I couldn't agree with you more. Landry is truly
> special.
> Not only is he a play maker, he plays with fire.
> He makes all the other players around him better.
> He is durable, and is definitely a future hall of
> famer.
> Can you imagine Tom Brady passing to him? SCARY!
> If they let him go, I am DONE with this team. And
> I am serious....
> Tannenbaum and Gase...sign him immediately!
>
> Steviec13

Its a priority as far as I'm concerned. thumbs up

Next year we get a roof and despite the shade.......a lot more sunshine blown up our asses!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
     
   
Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England
TOP
   
© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.