Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Interesting tidbit on our new linebacker from NO .........
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Interesting tidbit on our new linebacker from NO .........
Date: September 20, 2017 05:54AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Interesting tidbit on our new linebacker from NO .........
Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: September 20, 2017 09:40AM

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: September 20, 2017 10:19AM

Have to agree with you Fins72, the article really exposes his weaknesses...weaknesses that merely adds him to an already mediocre LB corps. Nevertheless, one can only hope that he's a tad better than Hull who was outmatched at this point in his young career while filling in for Timmons.

Date: September 20, 2017 11:52AM

Heres what your missing. Yes we would rather all want Timmons. But he is MIA. The Dolphins have suspended him indef. to cover themselves and recover monies. We cut him, he is a free agent and we take a $4million Cap hit.

But GASE seems to have made some Lemonade again out of a lemon. Tanehill gets hurt.....he calls in Cutler. Timmons spazs out......he calls in Father in Law and we got a decent hole filler in the 3rd week of the season.

GASE kinda let me down taking that timeout at the end of last weeks game.....otherwise he is continuing to impress me getting bodies to fill in at spots after a bad break.Makes 1 phone call and Peyton Manning is on a plane. He seems to have connections and is respected. Something else Miami has missed at the head coaching spot for a long while IMO.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: September 20, 2017 12:27PM

I've got to go back and check out that timeout you are complaining about. I don't remember having any problems with it but I was driving at the time. Will look at replay on nfl.com.

Date: September 20, 2017 12:43PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've got to go back and check out that timeout you
> are complaining about. I don't remember having
> any problems with it but I was driving at the
> time. Will look at replay on nfl.com.

Like a bad nightmare I caution you. It is VERY PHILBENESQUE. They might not have even gotten the kick off if not for the time out. But they did and thankfully KOO was Miamis VIP. If he makes that kick....and it was a chip shot....GASE is disgraced. He came that close to being a a Monday morning national laughstock.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: September 20, 2017 02:59PM

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: September 20, 2017 03:38PM

I like the move, Gase is a smart guy. His father in law and him are tight... I think Gase got the inside scoop from someone he trust, respects and has great knowledge. Obviously if Vitt, who knows him very well, thought he was such a problem, we never make this move...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: September 20, 2017 03:45PM

On the timeout, Gase said, Rivers wanted to run down the clock, spike the ball and leave 2 seconds on the clock before the field goal was kicked.. He tried to call the timeout with 12 seconds left and the refs gave it to him at ten seconds.. Gase said he called the timeout because he wanted the time to run an offensive play in case the Chargers made the FG...

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: September 20, 2017 05:41PM

I feel a little better after hearing his reasoning on the timeout.....

But I still don't like it.what a assfvk way to win a game. Maybe our luck is changing though.....

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: September 20, 2017 08:14PM

I have to agree with your initial thoughts, Treasure after arguing with you while not knowing Gase's reasoning, but now I disagree with you when you actually come around to be on Gase's side.

I FIRST thought the timeout must have been to get our best personnel on the field to block the kick or to prevent a FIVE YARD CLOSER PENALTY. Either one of those reasons would have been justifiable.

But to save a few seconds for a "miracle" Hail Mary AFTER A FIELD GOAL THE TIMEOUT MAY HAVE ITSELF MADE SUCCESSFUL while allowing the Charger offense to "get its act together" and to "settle the kicker down" is stupid from my standpoint.

Creating the Hail Mary time simply is not worth running the risk of giving them time to calm themselves down without having to rush to get their nervous kicker on the field.

On the other hand, hell....who knows? He missed it. One can argue it the opposite way and that is that maybe without the timeout, he would have made it.

Some people (this kicker maybe) get more nervous the more time they have to think about the task they have to perform and are more likely to screw it up than if they are just forced to run out on the field in a moment's notice and do it!

But I don't think it's time to put Gase in the category of Philbin.

Date: September 21, 2017 05:27AM

No. Absolutely not. But he needs to know losing is one thing.People remember it only till they win again. Calling those timeouts reeks of desperation and again, if KOO makes the chipshot all people are going to remember is the last 20 seconds of the game. He needs to be smarter. Man we were lucky......30 otber teams, we lose that game.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: September 21, 2017 06:49AM

I dont think it was a mistake.. The field goal was kicked on 3rd down. On second down, Rivers basically hiked the ball and moved to the center of the field, so his kicker could kick the ball at the better hash mark... There was no way, the Chargers werent going to get that ball kicked. Rivers had plenty of time to still snap the ball and spike it on 3rd down. No players were down the field as the 2nd down play was basically a set up play for the field goal.. I like that Gase was trying to give us another shot offensively, rather then letting the game end on the field goal.. I think Gase was being smart... The timeout did nothing negative for our team... Rivers was just going to spike the ball.. It wasnt a 4th down field goal rather a 3rd down field goal.. Had the field goal been a 4th down field goal I would agree the time out was a mistake, but it wasnt....

Nietzsche

Date: September 21, 2017 10:21AM

Date: September 21, 2017 12:21PM

I guess thats what is so great about the game of Football. Many different perspectives/thoughts/opinions. I dont like having a missed field goal decide the game period...but calling a timeout in this scenario only helps the chargers. Let them rush, its your best chance at winning. securing 3 extra seconds for a hail Mary is just something I'd rather never see again thank you.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: September 21, 2017 01:04PM

For all of the less sophisticated armchair coaches out there,
the time out w 12 secs left was the right call.

If they make the kick, you need time on the clock to HAVE A CHANCE to set up for a long, game winning field goal.
With 0:00 left on the clock, you have NO CHANCE of winning.

In the NFL, coaches need to be prepared for all the contingencies, not just hope the other team F's up.

Date: September 21, 2017 01:10PM

Well, I agree with you if that was the case Treasure. But calling a timeout is really not worth it if only to preserve a Hail Mary attempt. I don't want to reduce that adrenaline running through the Kicker's body when the field goal is a very make-able one like this one was. I want him to run out on the field with his heart pumping as loud as a drum.

Date: September 21, 2017 01:18PM

And SoCal, I disagree. Relaxing the kicker for the purpose of being able to throw a Hail Mary pass from 80 yards (the other team would kick the ball into the endzone or worst yet short of the endzone to either have the kick returner try to run or if he is sensible maybe a second runs off while he kneels???), seems to me to be the wrong gamble. With the timeout comes relaxation. This kid had ALREADY missed a prior field goal. If you were the opposing coach, wouldn't YOU use the timeout to settle him down. This kid was highly touted. Good thing the prior miss was probably still pumping adrenaline in his body.

We'll never know but I would bet if we could rerun history and make that prior kick non-existent...I'll bet anything that he makes that kick with that timeout we gave them. He probably only missed it because he was still shaken from the prior miss.

You guys have to realize that kickers are unlike any other player. Emotions play a much bigger part in their game than any other position on the football team.

The Hail Mary just isn't worth changing those emotions.

Date: September 22, 2017 05:37AM

I agree whole heartedly. PLUS......it puts your nads on the chopping block. KOO makes that kick all they will talk about is how you HELPED them relax , discuss,win. The risk reward on that timeout is just not worth it . No way jose.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: September 22, 2017 09:05PM

Gase's reasoning was sound if only from this standpoint. Time on the clock is ALWAYS a chance someone makes a play for you. You never give up until the clock reads 0:00. Gase wanted that one last play to be for HIS team, not the Chargers.

It worked so I agree with the call, even though at the time I was screaming WTF at the TV!

Date: September 23, 2017 02:57AM

If KOO made that chipshot.....you would still be screaming at it.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: September 23, 2017 10:28AM

Date: September 24, 2017 03:31AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> So, Crowder, since the Chargers had called the
> previous timeout, why didn't they, if THEY wanted
> to run any Dolphin time off the clock, just wait
> longer on the previous timeout to call timeout
> leaving only time enough to snap the ball?

They didnt call a time out on that set of downs. First down was a big pass play that got them in good field goal range. 2nd down was a play where Rivers just moved the ball to the center hashmark for better alignment for the field goal attempt. 3rd down was the missed field goal..

Nietzsche

Date: September 24, 2017 03:35AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> And Ken, it DIDN'T WORK. In reality, IT NEVER
> CAME INTO PLAY or it didn't come into play.
>
> You can only say "it worked," had Koo MADE THE
> FIELD GOAL and THEN WE CAME BACK AND THREW THE
> HAIL MARY!
>
> How can you say, "it worked????"
>
> The best you can say is "It didn't blow up in our
> faces" or "it didn't hurt." But to say "It
> worked"????????

We won the game, in that sense, the late game chain of events that led to that unlikely win, worked out in our favor..

Nietzsche

Date: September 24, 2017 05:04AM

Date: September 24, 2017 08:52AM

Date: September 24, 2017 08:57AM

I guess they wanted the time to run the line up play on second down and they wanted to run it down after.. I rewatched the game on NFL ticket and they take out everything till the snap so I didn't see the timeout. Normally you can catch it on the replay but it wasn't obvious, thanks for the correction..

Nietzsche

Date: September 24, 2017 09:08AM

It was kinda hectic at the end there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.