-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Draft
Draft
Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: February 01, 2017 09:57AM

There are a few Drafts out there that have Miami picking TE O.J. Howard from Alabama.

He would be a good pick, but I think Miami is going to go on the defensive side of the ball with that first pick, and possibly the second, also. LB/DE is what I see, and not necessarily in that order. BPA for either of those positions.

Re: Draft
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: February 01, 2017 10:21AM

Miami needs to go best player available.

We need everything. This team is a mess. From QB to DE to LB to OL.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 01, 2017 11:28AM

Posted by: dgoodhue ()
Date: February 04, 2017 08:30AM

This year is supposed to be a rep draft for TE. It might be worthwhile to take one in this draft but I am not sure if the 1st round the best choice given the needs at LB and DE.

Posted by: Doctor Feelgood ()
Date: February 06, 2017 03:22PM

A lot depends on what we do in free agency. Like Tannebaum (or was it Grier?) said - you want to be able to line up and play a game on draft day, so you have the flexibility to go BPA. Not sure well hit that lofty goal or not, but it would be nice.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: February 16, 2017 08:50PM

If one of O.J Howard or David Njoku is there when we pick we'd be exceedingly stupid not to take him despite us needing a LB, DE, DT and CB. We need a fast, big play TE that can create matchup problems for LB'ers and CB's. Such a player would be a big part in taking our offense to the next level.

We simply don't have that guy on our roster at the moment.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: February 17, 2017 01:03AM

Here's a list of some former first round TEs. I'm sure they were hailed as can't miss prospect like Howard and Njoku....

1. Vernon Davis, 49ers (No. 6, 2006)
2. Dallas Clark, Colts (No. 24, 2003)
3. Heath Miller, Steelers (No. 30, 2005)
4. Kellen Winslow, Browns (No. 6. 2004)
5. Brandon Pettigrew, Lions (No. 20, 2009)
6. Jeremy Shockey, Giants (No. 14, 2002)
7. Dustin Keller, Jets (No. 30, 2008)
8. Marcedes Lewis, Jaguars (No. 28, 2006)
9. Jermaine Gresham, Bengals (No. 21, 2010)
10. Daniel Graham, Patriots (No. 21, 2002)
11. Greg Olsen, Bears (No. 31, 2007)
12. Ben Watson, Patriots (No. 32, 2004)
13. Jerramy Stevens, (No. 28, 2002)

Sorry but TE in the 1st is absurd when you have the 30th ranked D. You can get a TE in the 5th and beyond and coach him up. We don't have the luxury of taking one in the 1st.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: February 17, 2017 05:15AM

Yeah we gotta go front 7 in round 1. We have been pretty good at developing TE's and fitting them into our O. So a second tier F/A might do the job for us at TE.

Date: February 18, 2017 05:13AM

The issue is that we don't need a JAG playing TE and if you don't draft a special prospect when they are there that's exactly what you will get. Coaching someone up is all fine and dandy but that person has to have the raw skills, size and speed. Most mid round guys don't. If we can get and renegotiate the deal with Julius Thomas none of this matters though.

I'm not convinced that either of those guys will be there when we pick anyway.

Even though we NEED defensive help badly we can't pass on a blue chip offensive player that falls to us simply because we don't have an "on paper need" for that position.

Posted by: Doctor Feelgood ()
Date: February 18, 2017 02:42PM

IF we re-sign Dion Sims, I'm fine going into the season with him as the starter. No, he isn't "special" but he's adequate, and we have much more important needs to fill on the defensive side of the ball. I can't see how we justify drafting a TE in round 1. Now if they can find a guy in the later rounds who's a "steal", then fine, OK. But unless something crazy happens in pre-draft free-agency, our top couple of picks need to be LB / DL. And OG, considering that it looks like Albert will be gone one way or another.

Date: February 20, 2017 04:27AM

Per the Sun-Sentinel the Phins and Jags are finalizing the Albert for Thomas trade.

Phins looking to lower Thomas' salary and the Jags are said to be adding some to Alberts.

Gase knows what he has in Thomas. If he's good with it, I'm good with it.

Date: February 20, 2017 04:28AM

I just hope Tannenbaum doesn't get bent over and throw in a pick with Albert.

Date: February 20, 2017 08:53AM

Now the Herald is reporting that it's not for Thomas but a late round pick in 2018.

We're doing the Jags a favor not letting Albert hit the open market. At least get a pick this year.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: March 01, 2017 06:56PM

Would love Derek Barnett , Taco man, Forrest Lamp?

Date: March 02, 2017 08:56AM

Barnett is falling in some mock drafts would love for him to fall to us. Taco is my number 1 right now (I think Barnett is going to be gone). I like Lamp but don't think he is going to be there for us in rnd 2 and I think DLine should be our first pick. My first 3 picks
are:

1 Charlton DE MI
2 Johnson G Pitt
3 Tomlinson DT Alabama

Date: March 12, 2017 11:22AM

After our F/A moves we now need via the draft...(assuming we don't sign any more F/A players)

1 OLB
1 OG
1 CB

then

1 OL developmental guy that can also play center if needed.

Date: March 13, 2017 05:11AM

Not many strong side lb's in this draft. We really should try to fill that spot in free agency. They should bring in Sio Moore on the cheap. We also should try to bring a veteran DT to push or take the start position from Phillips. Time for Phillips to start playing all out during his time on the filed. I would not mind if the bought in Hankins or Poe (if his back is healthy and at the right price).

Im still ok with our 3 outside corners, with an improved Dline and a year's experience in our D I look for improvement from each of them.

If we sign a DT and an OLB I would like our first 3 picks to look like.

1 - OL (Ramzyk/Lamp) Ramzyk is falling in some mocks, not because of talent but defensive players are rising after the combine.
2 - S or WR (Maye/Schuster)
3 - C (Pocic)

Date: March 13, 2017 09:25AM

We don't need to waste another first round pick on the Oline. Sure, we didn't sign the big name Gs in FA but were they worth what they got?

We lost last year because we couldn't stop the run to save our lives. The entire offense will be in it's 2nd year in the system. That alone should improve their performance.

What we should be focusing on in the draft is LB and DE.

Date: March 13, 2017 10:22AM

Yes we do if our offense is going to hinge on a power running game we have to have a solid oline w/ capable backups. Pouncey is too fragile we need a solid rookie to come in and take his spot. Cut him in 2018 and go shopping in f/agency again.

Date: March 13, 2017 11:26AM

then you draft that in the later rounds. go get mangold and pick up a vet guard the next wave of cuts but not a high pick.

Those are reserved for difference makers.

Posted by: dgoodhue ()
Date: March 14, 2017 04:03AM

I read that Tannenbaum's strategy is to fill the roster holes with free agents so Miami can draft the BPA. I would expect to see them pick up a cheap G and LB in free agency before the draft. I would expect Miami draft to draft the BPA on defense in the first few rounds and OG. I just hope they don't use a 1st rounder on the OL.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: March 14, 2017 12:31PM

dgoodhue Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I read that Tannenbaum's strategy is to fill the
> roster holes with free agents so Miami can draft
> the BPA.

That makes sense. That way you get the best of both worlds.

Date: March 14, 2017 01:04PM

dgoodhue Wrote:
> I read that Tannenbaum's strategy is to fill the
> roster holes with free agents so Miami can draft
> the BPA. I would expect to see them pick up a
> cheap G and LB in free agency before the draft. I
> would expect Miami draft to draft the BPA on
> defense in the first few rounds and OG. I just
> hope they don't use a 1st rounder on the OL.

That is an OK plan, as long as he gets "players." Don't waste money on guys that are sure to be cut. Larsen will be a solid pick if he can provide depth, if not start. Timmons and Thomas we know will start. Allen is not a sure thing, but at least he can provide depth.

Going BPA would be great, but that is mainly for teams who are solid and can afford to do that. Miami is not in that category. Miami still has to go BPA at a position of need.

I agree, dgoodhue, BPA on defense the first couple of rounds, unless the BPA is a stud and Miami would be foolish to pass. I don't think you have to worry about Miami going OG in the first round; by pick 22, the best of the best will have already been picked. I do agree, however, that one, if not two, OL have to be picked in the draft.

I saw on NFL Network, DJ's mock...he has Miami taking UM's TE Njoku. Good pick, but Miami needs to go defense. I am sure there will be a couple of OLBers and edge rushers there.

Posted by: cedaphins ()
Date: March 15, 2017 01:26PM

I would like us to draft TJ Watt with our 1st round pick. He can play inside and outside LB.

Date: March 16, 2017 01:03PM

cedaphins Wrote:
> I would like us to draft TJ Watt with our 1st
> round pick. He can play inside and outside LB.

Many of the mock drafts that I have seen have three LBers/Edge rushers being picked after Miami's pick: Watt, Cunningham, Charleston.

I don't agree with the mocks that have Miami picking a TE. The major need is on the defensive side of the ball.

Date: March 16, 2017 02:35PM

I could go with Watt. T really don't want Cunningham he is a hit and wrap linebacker. I have seen too many plays where he gives up 3/4 yards after contact. Plus I see pro rbs escaping out of some of his 'wraps'. I want a mlb that stops the runner cold and brings him down. Really overrated imo.I think we have 3 DE's in our rotation now so that would remove DE from round one, again imo.

Date: March 17, 2017 09:12AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
> I could go with Watt. T really don't want
> Cunningham he is a hit and wrap linebacker. I have
> seen too many plays where he gives up 3/4 yards
> after contact. Plus I see pro rbs escaping out of
> some of his 'wraps'. I want a mlb that stops the
> runner cold and brings him down. Really overrated
> imo.I think we have 3 DE's in our rotation now so
> that would remove DE from round one, again imo.

I also like Watt, and he is picking up a lot of buzz, so not too sure he will still be there, but if he is.....

I hear ya about DE, but...Branch played OK, but with Wake, his age is a factor and that Achilles worries me. Granted, he played great last season, but not sure if he can last. If he goes down, what does Miami have?

I am only talking DE if that "stud" is there when Miami's turn comes up. However, if that "stud" LBer is also available, it will be a tough choice, but I am sure the Miami brass has the names lined up and maybe wouldn't be too difficult to decide which way to go.

On the other hand, if that "can't miss" DB is there....

LOL.

Date: March 17, 2017 05:32PM

On the other hand, if that "can't miss" OL (Ramzyk) is there....

LOL.smiling smiley

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 18, 2017 06:03AM

Mizzou you are so confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: March 18, 2017 10:32AM

Samsam you are so confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.