HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          I know I'm gonna get a lot of flak
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: I know I'm gonna get a lot of flak
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: December 20, 2016 07:13AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 20, 2016 09:21AM

Edited out because I did not think my phone posted it and I was having a hard time typing it on the phone. below is the desktop version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2016 09:33AM by ChyrenB.

Date: December 20, 2016 09:32AM

Ken, first welcome back.

Hoping Tanny becomes a traditional pro set QB reminds me of the childhood rhyme, "Copycat, copycat, sitting on a fence. Trying to make a dollar out of fifteen cents."

We've struggled long and hard since 2012. Time to give it up.

That's why I hate stats. They sometimes blind you to the obvious.

How many of Tanny's passing yards are attributable to when he broke out of the pocket and threw on the run when in college?

How many were gotten when he was running a read option or wildcat?

And of what's left....measure that against the times he got sacked when he held the ball so long instead of simply throwing it away????

Seeing Moore brought me back to a time when I was not griping about the QB.

No Henne did not knock the receivers down with the ball EVERY time he threw.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: December 20, 2016 10:01AM

Guys, I don't have the stats in front of me, but I see this observation on this site quite often: Tanny is not a pocket passer.

Granted, I am unable to see most of the Miami games, but...it looks to me like RT is in the pocket the majority of the time and has good stats.

Am I wrong?

Date: December 20, 2016 10:02AM

Date: December 20, 2016 11:17AM

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: December 21, 2016 11:57AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ken, first welcome back.

RE: I never went anywhere...
>
> Hoping Tanny becomes a traditional pro set QB
> reminds me of the childhood rhyme, "Copycat,
> copycat, sitting on a fence. Trying to make a
> dollar out of fifteen cents."

RE: I don't care if he is a traditional pro set QB or not and I'd wager most fans don't either.
>
> We've struggled long and hard since 2012. Time to
> give it up.
>
> That's why I hate stats. They sometimes blind you
> to the obvious.
>
> How many of Tanny's passing yards are attributable
> to when he broke out of the pocket and threw on
> the run when in college?

RE: In the context of my comment to Sam does it matter?
>
> How many were gotten when he was running a read
> option or wildcat?

RE: Again, does it really matter?
>
> And of what's left....measure that against the
> times he got sacked when he held the ball so long
> instead of simply throwing it away????

RE: He has improved on that this season. His sacks are cut in half this year...that's not all attributable to the line play. It's also not all attributable to moving him around either. RT has played better as has the entire team...that's why we are where we are.
>
> Seeing Moore brought me back to a time when I was
> not griping about the QB.

RE: For sure Moore had a good game (Hope he has another one as well) but my observations about him and the way he throws are valid. He's done it since he came into the league. All you have to do is look at the tape.
>
> No Henne did not knock the receivers down with the
> ball EVERY time he threw.

RE: Shouldn't have to, Henne however lacked a degree of touch in his throws and he was not the most accurate fellow either.

Some people don't like RT and thats OK.But for them to say things like he can't throw the deep ball or that he can't lead 4th quarter comebacks is complete bunk. The stats bear out that he can and he does, and he does both at a much better than average rate.

If we go to the playoffs, I really don't care if it's RT or Moore or whomever under center...it's a team game and I want the team to succeed. If RT, or Moore does well the team does well and so forth.

Date: December 21, 2016 12:10PM

Ken wrote; But for them to say things like he can't throw the deep ball or that he can't lead 4th quarter comebacks is complete bunk. The stats bear out that he can and he does, and he does both at a much better than average rate.

Why doesnt he throw more deep passes then?....Because he knows his limitations....

When is the last time you saw tannehill throw a 50 yard bomb..?

He might throw one deep pass a game maybe two...Thats it.

I bet you if he threw more deep passes his rate would be at the bottom of the league.

Date: December 21, 2016 12:13PM

He keeps the ball Like a deer in the headlights...Like chren says until he gets sacked....

Why not overthrow the receivers by 5 yards with a long pass if receiver is covered....If he has that great arm? And avoid the 12 yard sack.

Again he knows his limitations.

Date: December 21, 2016 02:31PM

Gave us a winning record Sam Sam. First in a long while. We are on the cupse of a playoff run....becuase of Tannehill.

Negative Nancy to the end.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 21, 2016 06:34PM

Whoa, Ken, you're right. You have been posting steadily for quite a recent while. Sorry. Must have you confused with KB.

Date: December 22, 2016 04:35AM

No biggie Chyren...as for Sam, it doesn't matter what anyone says, what proof anyone brings up, or what RT actually does, you are going to cut him down anyway and claim it isn't good enough.

As Treasure said, negative Nancy to the end.

Date: December 22, 2016 08:04AM

Yeah Ken you had no answer for what i posted because you know i was saying the truth...

So you got cute like tcpf with the negative nancy bid.

Good job.

Date: December 22, 2016 08:49AM

Ken Wrote:
> ...as for Sam, it doesn't matter
> what anyone says, what proof anyone brings up, or
> what RT actually does, you are going to cut him
> down anyway and claim it isn't good enough.
>
> As Treasure said, negative Nancy to the end.

RESPONSE: Tannehill has had a few games this year in which he has shown improvement over the past years. However, when measured against Moore's performance, that slight improvement is far behind.

You guys say it was because of a sucky Jets team. We shall see.

I disagree. Cam Newton and (as much as I hate him) Kaepernick seem to strive outside the traditional pro set. I don't know why there is the persistent belief that Tannehill can be a Griese or even a Marino.

Date: December 22, 2016 10:27AM

****I don't know why there is the persistent belief that Tannehill can be a Griese or even a Marino."""

I don't know how many times I've said Tannehill will NEVER be either of those players. But he can be just as successful with coaching and a person who puts him in a position to succeed as GASE has.

I really think alot of the time you just have conversations with yourself and what you want to believe

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 22, 2016 11:01AM

You are misinterpreting. I am not talking about being as great overall as them. I am talking about being a good POCKET QB. If he could be a Cam, I'd be az pleased as punch. But he won't even be that in a pro set offense.

Date: December 22, 2016 12:03PM

You seemed lazer focused on this one point. Its not that You dont like Tannehill its a style of play that you dont approve of?

Got it. Duley noted. Can we move on? eye rolling smiley

Pocket this, Pro set that......Please Chyrene your really being almost "strangely" obsessed with these references instead of the player.

Tannehill was as raw a QB prospect as one could be coming out of the draft. Started 8-9 college games? Really? And he was taken in the first round!? With no coaching he immediately showed a spark not seen at the position in over a decade. Tannehill went on to set franchise rookie records for passing yards, attempts, and completions.

But with poor drafting , poor coaching , injuries and distractions like bully gate the Dolphins didn't do well. He still posted back to back 4,000 yd seasons despite all the TEAM setbacks.

This year with Coach GASE everything we hoped about him has been realized despite the injuries around the Team to Pro bowl starters.

Thats the readers digest version of Ryan Tannehill so far. Dispite all the above.....you want to NOW ring the alarm bells after 1 good game from a career back up against a very very poor team? Really?eye rolling smiley

Whatever. I wish Mat Moore , a true gentleman and team player all the success next Sunday. I want him to post Huuuuge numbers and make Miami great again. 100%

But it wont make ANY of what I posted above not true. Or Tannehill any less of a great player. No matter what "set " he is in.

GO MIAMI!!

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 22, 2016 12:32PM

Let's do a poll.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: December 22, 2016 01:10PM

Tanny has improved 10 fold with his pocket presence this year. As to the how many yards does he have from the read option or wildcat? Not many because they rarely run it.

This is such a stupid argument. Moore threw 19 passes against the jets and had 4 tds and suddenly he's the answer to all of our problems....except if he sucks it up against Buffalo.

The read option is not an NFL system. It may be run a handful of times but it will never be the system.

Date: December 22, 2016 01:18PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Let's do a poll.

SIGH. I give up.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 22, 2016 01:50PM

Date: December 22, 2016 01:53PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Yeah Ken you had no answer for what i posted
> because you know i was saying the truth...
>
> So you got cute like tcpf with the negative nancy
> bid.
>
> Good job.

Sorry, Sam, but you are way off base, both with your assessment of RT and some of us posters.

Do you think many of us here just don't answer your posts because we have already done so (many times)? It will be answered, then a few posts later, you will say/ask the same thing.

You want Marino behind center; that's fine. Every team would like to have that. We have/had RT and he helped get Miami into the position they are presently in.

So, you can continue to bash RT if you wish, while the majority of us continue to support RT.

Date: December 22, 2016 02:16PM

i support tannehill and i support moore as well.

But when they start stinking i critisize them as well...We are fans whats wrong with that capkoi?

By the way chren has said all along tannehill is not a pocket QB....and its true.....He does way better in the run and shoot.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: December 22, 2016 03:18PM

Okay...I think I have it figured out.

Chyren believes that RT has more going for him as a QB when he can get the snap and roll out of the pocket hitting a receiver on the run. Chyren also believes the lack of good QB coaching has stymied RT's growth and they have been too hesitant in letting RT roll out to hit his receivers. Similarly, forcing RT to be a pocket passer, a conventional NFL style of play at QB, is contrary to RT's skill set.

SamSam believes RT isn't up to the task of being a quality Dolphins' QB. His skill set is incomplete, inconsistent and deems him to be a dud...hence SamSam's reference as a "wet firecracker."

What is interesting with both positions, is that what they are both opining is largely accurate.

A difference is that SamSam doesn't believe RT will every rise to the level he expects of a Dolphins' QB--he openly has Marino as the benchmark.

Chyren, I believe, is partially satisfied with the success RT has had this year but still believes his skill set is not being used to the extent it should be and that things could be a bit better. Chyren also asserts that his theory of QBacking for Tannehill is the only way for things to really improve.

No matter how often Chyren argues that the HC is using RT wrong, it appears unlikely that the HC will change up the offense to allow RT to roll, move out of the pocket, do a read option...etc.

SamSam is largely convinced that RT's time has come and gone and that he'll never reach the bar...will always fall short of the benchmark and until we land a QB like Aaron Rodgers (for example) the QB position will be a position of weakness.

Am I missing anything is my summary of positions? smiling smiley

Date: December 22, 2016 03:52PM

Nope....and like I said, when Tanny got hurt they both got their wish

They can deny it like Tom Brady with a deflated ball but every since Tannehill got hurt they are running around as giddy as a milf watching 50 shades of Grey ........

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: December 22, 2016 05:58PM

LOL

Date: December 22, 2016 07:47PM

LOL.

Date: December 23, 2016 01:11AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Ken wrote; But for them to say things like he
> can't throw the deep ball or that he can't lead
> 4th quarter comebacks is complete bunk. The stats
> bear out that he can and he does, and he does both
> at a much better than average rate.
>
>
> Why doesnt he throw more deep passes
> then?....Because he knows his limitations....

RE: Sam last year RT was third in the league for most deep ball attempts with 119, of that he completed 43 behind Palmer and Bortles.
>
> When is the last time you saw tannehill throw a 50
> yard bomb..?

RE: He threw four of them in a two game span this season...all completed. I don't have time to look up all of them for the season but, The only quarterbacks in the NFL more efficient in connecting on big plays this season have been Matt Ryan, Philip Rivers and Dak Prescott. The only Dolphins quarterback with a better yards per attempt average in the first five games of a season is Dan Marino, in 1995.
>
> He might throw one deep pass a game maybe
> two...Thats it.

RE: Actually, in his career 10% of his total throws are deep passes.
>
> I bet you if he threw more deep passes his rate
> would be at the bottom of the league.

RE: Wrong.

Date: December 23, 2016 09:02AM

Facts are not important to Sam and Chyrene......

Its about trying to prove they were right and the reason Miami failed in recent years. They are so caught up with proving They were right they have missed how well the TEAM has done this year and how GASE has helped him become everything we knew he always was.

Now they are hopping on the Moore bandWagon is some sad futile attempt to de-legitimize Ryan because he had 1 good game against a sad sad Jets Team.

It not about Mat Moore. Guy is a great back up , a gentleman and a Team player. He can do well. Its about how a good coach a good leader is inspiring back ups on the line, in the defensive back field, and yes now at QB to play better. Something we haven't seen here in decades.

I think this sucks like a Kardashion on a NBA tour bus that Tanny has to watch this from the sidelines, but thats the way it goes sometimes.

The real fans know if we make it to the playoffs it was on his back.

Cant wait to see what he does next season......but for now I'm a Mat Moore fan. GO MIAMI. We can do this. thumbs upsmileys with beer

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 24, 2016 04:11AM

Colonel is more or less right but just one thing.....Im always wishing he would get better....Tannehill...

As far as tcpf......Im so sure he is just waiting for matt moore to start stinking to say....."I told you so"

He will also ask a question...and that is.....

Are you missing tannehill now?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2016 04:16AM by samsam3738.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.