HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Dolphins v. Bills: Game Day Thread
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Dolphins v. Bills: Game Day Thread
Date: October 23, 2016 06:10PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: October 24, 2016 01:19AM

Missed most of the first half and thoroughly enjoyed the 2nd half.

We seem to have found an identity. Smash mouth running football. Tanne looked good moving around the pocket and keeping plays alive.

Gase has these guys believing and suddenly the effort looks much better.

I thought last week was fools gold and would not let myself get sucked in. After duplicating that effort a week later it looks as if this team has finally turned the corner. Now come back out of the bye and destroy the Jets.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 24, 2016 05:04AM

Iam happy as hell we won but:

To those WET for tannehill.....Or in other words this goes to TCPF...:

Realize that we won these 2 last weeks because the running game was out of this world.

Remember this and remember good:

These two weeks the coaches took the ball out of tannehill hands...

And whenever we have to count on tannehill to win a game count that as a loss.

Posted by: Doctor Feelgood ()
Date: October 24, 2016 07:22AM

They didn't take the ball out of Tannehill's hand. Who made the great throw to Landry on 3rd and 7 late in the game? Who made the throw to Stills for the game sealing TD late in the game?

Just because we're not coming out and throwing the ball 40 times a game, doesn't mean we aren't still relying on Tannehill. The thing is, NOW we have balance so Tanne doesn't have to do it all by himself, AND he actually has decent NFL caliber protection.

Think about it... this is Tanne's 5th year in the league and he's played TWO games behind a legitimate NFL caliber offensive line. TWO. Last week and yesterday. In his entire career. No, he probably won't ever be "the next Marino", but he doesn't need to be. We protect him, run the ball well, and keep getting production from Stills and Landry we can be pretty damn good.

Need more production from Devante Parker though, but I think that will come in time.

Date: October 24, 2016 07:41AM

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: October 24, 2016 08:49AM

Not to be nitpicking but, Tannehill did not score a passing TD in both games. It was ONE passing TD in two games.

Posted by: CincinnatiFinFAn ()
Date: October 24, 2016 09:21AM

As far as Tanne goes, I wouldn't say the coaching staff took the ball out of his hands, I would say they stopped putting games on his shoulders. A few of us around here have said (not that it's rocket science), if you run the ball effectively, and protect Tannehill, he won't be in positions to force throws and make errors. It remains to be seen what this team is, but if we keep running the ball effectively, our passing game gets a LOT more efficient.

Running the ball is as important a part of protecting a QB as is pass protection.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 24, 2016 09:46AM

I truly believe that if we dont have a monster game rushing the football like both weeks against pitts and the bills then we dont win...

Tannehill is not like lets say the raiders qb.....

Yes he made a couple of good throws in this game but let him do that consitently for me to change my mind about him.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: October 24, 2016 10:23AM

If we don't have the running game production against the Bills we most likely do lose that game...I was there with my son so we didn't lose it though. My streak with my son is still intact!

That said penalties and special teams mistakes were the reasons. We cannot continue to have drive killing or drive sustaining penalties.Yesterday we had both as well as a blocked kick. Our receivers also have to catch the balls they should be catching...we also had a few that were not.

RT is doing his job...just because he isn't Brady isn't a reason to be down on him, JMO.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 24, 2016 12:13PM

Guys I think that it shows Gase believes Tannehill has limits with his skill as a QB. He's never going to light things up like Marino, Favre, Brady and many other really good throwing QBs. Gase, I surmise, believes that a balance is needed for the team to be successful offensively. A balance doesn't mean 50-50, but could mean 45 % passing and 55% running or vice versa. It could also be some other arithmetic percentage.

Bob Griese used to scare me when the Dolphins had to rely on him to get back into the game. I never thought he had a great arm, but he did run the game like a field general...and with Czonka, Kiick and Morris pounding the ball winning was very possible every week.

Despite Tannehill's athleticism he needs a "strong cast of characters" on offense to move the sticks for first downs. This way he can avoid having all the pressure on his shoulders and not worry that "he" can't get it done.

It will be a game of balance with the Dolphins, I believe---not necessarily a bad thing if they continue to be competitive and win.

I don't believe Tannehill could ever lead the Dolphins to the playoffs based on his passing ability. Maybe with a strong running attack such a envious goal is possible. Come next NFL draft, I wouldn't be surprised if the Dolphins select a better QB to eventually replace Tannehill.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: October 24, 2016 12:26PM

We need to take one to replace Moore and to push RT. Nothing more. If that guy also turns out to be better and takes the starting job, then that's OK too.

Posted by: BobT ()
Date: October 24, 2016 04:48PM

They never let that Bob Griese guy throw very much back in the early to mid 70's.
Take 1973 for instance. Griese's season stats:
116 for 218 1422 Yds 17 TDs 8 Int. So, how did that team do? 12-2 and won the Super Bowl.Oh, he was 6 for 7 73 yds 0 TD 0 Int.
See, if you have a dominant running game, you don't need to pass very much. Is Ajayi Csonka or Morris? No, but if your RB is rushing for 200+ yds, why would you pass a lot?

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: October 24, 2016 05:41PM

Amazing what difference a healthy O-line makes. Enjoy it while we can!

Ground game helps huge in time of possession. Almost 15 mins more than Buffalo. Also had 10 more 1st downs.

No, Tannehill isn't Marino. But he got the job done these past two games. I'm sure he's enjoying better protection and this nice ground game lately as much as or more than we are.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: October 24, 2016 07:30PM

BobT Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They never let that Bob Griese guy throw very much
> back in the early to mid 70's.
> Take 1973 for instance. Griese's season stats:
> 116 for 218 1422 Yds 17 TDs 8 Int. So, how did
> that team do? 12-2 and won the Super Bowl.Oh, he
> was 6 for 7 73 yds 0 TD 0 Int.
> See, if you have a dominant running game, you
> don't need to pass very much. Is Ajayi Csonka or
> Morris? No, but if your RB is rushing for 200+
> yds, why would you pass a lot?

Funniest part about the "They never let" him throw is that Griese CALLED HIS OWN PLAYS! Griese didn't even let Griese throw! He knew it was better for the team for him to hand it off to Csonka most of the time, to set up the occasional bomb to Warfield or timing pattern to Twilley or Mandich. The opponents knew it was coming and could do nothing to stop us. May we all live to see that again in our lifetimes.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 24, 2016 08:21PM

Yes, Bob was the computer quarterback. And when you have not only Larry Csonka and Jim Kiick but Mercury Morris as well running the ball behind Jim Langer, Bob Kuchenberg, Larry Little and Norm Evans....why throw for the Hell of it? Remember this was before the era of the real great passing QBs such as John Elway and Dan Marino.

Now he had some great receivers like Paul Warfield but still.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.