HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Gase
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Gase
Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: October 10, 2016 09:58AM

It seems many on this board want miracles to happen with the Dolphins. Gase is a young, first year HC. Seems he is supposed to get them to the Super Bowl this year.

I am sure most here know the story of Belichick.He didn't start out so great, either.

Give the guy a chance for crying out loud.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gase
Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: October 10, 2016 10:35AM

No miracles expected from me.

I just hope he has input on who he wants to draft next year because we're heading in the direction of having a very high pick. What scares me is the powers that be blow it.

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: October 10, 2016 10:40AM

I didn't expect a Super Bowl but he's 1-4 with the sole win coming only because Cleveland had to replace their kicker a week before our game. In truth, this team should be 0-5. As I suspected, Gase wasn't able to attract much in the way of a strong coaching staff. The team is regressing instead of improving. Now don't get me wrong, I think regardless of his shortcomings, he was set up to fail when Ross put Tannenbaum in charge. As Gary Stevens once famously said, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit. But, despite the fact that he's been dealt a bad hand, I've not been impressed with how the team has been prepared to play. Too many fundamental mistakes in tackling, taking bad angles, etc. If he goes 1-15, and I think it's damn possible, he will, it will be hard to defend the job he did.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: October 10, 2016 10:43AM

No miracles but, is it unreasonable to expect some sign of improvement? Some hint that we're moving in the right direction.
I understand about trying to find the next Don Shula but, if getting the youngest HC in the league was a recipe for success wouldn't most teams have young coaches?
What happened to designing plays to the strengths of the players?
With a patched up o-line and a completely new left side where were the roll-outs, bootlegs, designed QB runs TO THE RIGHT?
Furthermore, Gase should not be calling the plays. He's simply not a good enough HC at this point.

The Clown Show Continues

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2016 10:45AM by Hooligan2.

Date: October 10, 2016 10:45AM

> Furthermore, Gase should not be calling the plays.
> He's simply not a good enough HC at this point.

Excellent point. Hadn't thought about that, but you're absolutely right.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: October 11, 2016 12:36AM

Gase was brought in as the Qb whisperer. I see no signs of that.

Like it or not he looks worse than philbin. Blaming the Oline for sunday's debacle? Did they set the lineup? Everyone and their brother knows Turner and Thomas are horrible. You have a former pro bowl LT playing RG. How about he starts at LT and Urbik starts at one of the G spots.

This guy is in over his head and has been out coached and out schemed every game.

His tough talk about replacing players yet giving Tanne a pass? He'll lose the lockerroom by the bye week.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 11, 2016 11:37AM

No, he's not worse than Philbin.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 11, 2016 11:40AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No, he's not worse than Philbin.

Philbin left gase with a huge mess.

Date: October 11, 2016 11:41AM

And tannehill is the biggest of the mess gase was left with.

Date: October 11, 2016 12:20PM

Adam Philbin

He thought Turner was good enough to start at LT over a former pro bowl LT, whom he played at RG, and then cuts him 2 days later after blaming him for the loss.

AND he didn't alter his gameplan. He kept dropping the Statue of Tannehill back to pass expecting different results.

You can't make that up.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: October 12, 2016 03:42AM

Gase deserves his fair share of the blame for the failures, but I like that he's making good on threats of "perform or else".

Both Turner & Thomas were pretty easy to let go of from a performance perspective. The probably should have been let go before the season, but I believe we'll find their replacement or better (should be better, anyway) fairly easily. Thomas probably ranks as the worst G in the NFL for the past 3 seasons combined, so almost ANYONE would be better.

My guess is that it works its way up the food chain. This puts James on high-alert notice. At full-strength (which it never is) our OL starts 4 1st round picks. And, in the limited time we've seen full strength in Tanny's tenure, he has succeeded and the team has won.

If I'm Gase and I get the shot to be 1 of 32 HCs in the NFL, I'm doing it my way the best I possibly can. If that means getting rid of folks who cannot or will not do it my way, so be it. At the end of the season, you can blame talent if you're the HC to try to save yourself for another day...but you can't blame anyone else for not getting the most out of the talent you have. If they can't or won't perform, you gotta get rid of them.

Date: October 12, 2016 05:01AM

Gase reminds me of a young coach who's never been a head coach before because he's a young coach who's never been a head coach before. That's exactly the reason I didn't want him. This team needed a stabilizing force for progress to be made. This team needed an experienced coaching staff. I knew that Gase wouldn't be able to assemble that kind of a staff. Gase might be okay if he were coaching a team of talented guys who have had success before. Miami is a team severely bereft of talent and lacking leaders. Add to that a front office being run by a moron who has once again proven that he shouldn't be running a pee wee football team. Gase was wrong for this job and on top of it was set up to fail regardless. No coach will ever succeed with Mike Tannenbaum in charge of bringing in the talent. No coach, period. Until Ross gets that into his pea sized brain, nothing changes. 1-15 should make him realize that, but I doubt it will. Ross is a dangerous combination of stupid and stubborn.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: October 12, 2016 05:36AM

Agreed...but since we have Gase right now, I'm glad he's doing it his way.

Date: October 12, 2016 06:33AM

tsstamper Wrote:
> Agreed...but since we have Gase right now, I'm
> glad he's doing it his way.

I was thrilled to see Dallas Thomas cut. I wanted him cut every time I saw him tossed aside by a pass rusher like he was a rag doll. But when Tannenbaum is charged with replacing him, you're going to get Dallas Thomas 2.0. Put a first rate GM in place, things will get better as the bad players are replaced with better ones. Keep Tannenbaum in place, and it's garbage out, garbage in. The names will change but the results will be identically mediocre.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: October 12, 2016 12:21PM

Fins72 Wrote:
> Gase reminds me of a young coach who's never been
> a head coach before because he's a young coach
> who's never been a head coach before. That's
> exactly the reason I didn't want him. This team
> needed a stabilizing force for progress to be
> made. This team needed an experienced coaching
> staff. I knew that Gase wouldn't be able to
> assemble that kind of a staff. Gase might be okay
> if he were coaching a team of talented guys who
> have had success before. Miami is a team severely
> bereft of talent and lacking leaders. Add to that
> a front office being run by a moron who has once
> again proven that he shouldn't be running a pee
> wee football team. Gase was wrong for this job and
> on top of it was set up to fail regardless. No
> coach will ever succeed with Mike Tannenbaum in
> charge of bringing in the talent. No coach,
> period. Until Ross gets that into his pea sized
> brain, nothing changes. 1-15 should make him
> realize that, but I doubt it will. Ross is a
> dangerous combination of stupid and stubborn.

You may be right, but I just wish to throw out that Don Shula was a Defensive Coordinator for two years (Lions) then became Baltimore's HC.

Gotta give Gase time.

Posted by: sickofit ()
Date: October 12, 2016 01:13PM

Gase has been horrific on third down. His play calling has been horrific.
Also as others have pointed out, he is not getting this team, the few talented players, to play up to their strengths. Effort is ALL COACHING.

Yes, Devante Parker, I'm talking about you.

This team needs to be blown up. Start over. It's not Tanny. It's not Gase. It's everything. The only thing we DON'T need is a punter and safeties.

None of the free agent or draft QBs impress me. Depressing.

Posted by: CincinnatiFinFAn ()
Date: October 13, 2016 11:22AM

One thing the team definitely needs is stability. Every time a new HC is hired, the staff changes, the system changes, then the talent doesn't fit the system. Gase, for better or worse needs the time to build the team in his way, we need continuity. If we start over, with a new staff anytime soon, it's right back to square one.

Date: October 13, 2016 11:35AM

To an extent, yes. But if you hire an experienced coach he'll hire an experienced staff which will lessen the decline.

Gase's staff is pretty bad.

Date: October 13, 2016 12:25PM

At the height of the Watergate scandal and Nixon's staff was getting in trouble one after the other, one news observer said, "The disturbing thing is not why Nixon is attracted to such people but rather why such people are attracted to him."

This is also true of Ross. My answer is that it is the Alpha Dog explanation. Where Ross to hire a former head coach......and for you prissy people who think we should not stoop to such.... remember Shula was a former head coach for the Colts although new there....then maybe that person would want more control than Ross or his IMMEDIATE subordinates like Tannebaum.

As I said in many prior post, The GM has no friggin business determining what position should be drafted. He's the friggin shopping boy who should go to the grocery store (the draft) with a list of what position to take written by the coach and should only pick FROM AMONG THE BEST PLAYERS AVAILABLE AT THOSE positions instead of, as seems now, he decides what positions to draft and who to draft them at that position.

Posted by: Doctor Feelgood ()
Date: October 13, 2016 03:42PM

I'm still OK with Gase so far. I think our most immediate problems are more "lack of talent" than play-calling or scheme. That said, it does bother me that, in a game where Billy Turner and Dallas Thomas were your starting LT and LG respectively, he did not choose to have Tannehill roll out to his right on basically EVERY play. That or put two tight ends on that side to help out, or whatever.

As for using Bushrod at LT.. as Bushrod said, he's been practicing exclusively at RG in Miami. He wasn't prepared to play LT and if you move him there, now the O-line is weakened at three positions, instead of just two. Not moving Bushrod was the right call as far as that goes, IMO.

Date: October 13, 2016 06:52PM

The answer, Doc, to your first paragraph question is that they think "Oh, we can't do that too much, it'll get old and they'll figure it out."

I reply, "I'd rather lose doing what I'm good at than losing doing what I'm bad at."

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: October 14, 2016 04:07AM

sickofit Wrote:
>
> None of the free agent or draft QBs impress me.
> Depressing.

Very true so I hope we don't overdraft a qb in 2017. I like Kaaya but would not like to see us use a top 5 pick on him. Maybe Kelly in rnd 2. Bring in a Cassel or Fitzpatrick type to keep the space warm for 1 or 2 years (yeah 2017 is going to be ugly too) and draft another qb high in 2018.

Date: October 14, 2016 04:28AM

Yeah, you have to build the core of the team before you draft a QB. No one will have success behind this line, no QB or RB. Picking a QB first next year will be a wasted pick in my opinion.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: October 14, 2016 05:35AM

We had this same conversation a few years ago. Do we build the lines first and then get the QB or do we get the elite QB first and then build around him. The answer is still not so clear. What is clear with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight is that Tannehill should never have started from day one. He simply was unprepared for the NFL.
What were they thinking?

Date: October 14, 2016 06:06AM

If we have a chance of drafting a good QB then dont pass on him.......

Weve been talking about rebuilding around tannehill for ever and it hasn't worked...

Need a good QB.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: October 14, 2016 06:28AM

I agree Sam but I see more 'elite' in the 2018 class. The qbs from UNC, Washington and Notre Dame (if he does not come out in 2017).

I see too much spread offense in Watson and Kaaya. I like them but do not mind if we skipped on them in 2017 and waited until 2018 for a 1st rnd qb.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: October 14, 2016 06:35AM

What I like about Gase, is he is a no nonsense guy. Since Ross took over ownership of this team, he has surrounded himself with yes men, who pretty much kiss his ass, don't question him, tell him how brilliant and great he is.. I don't think Gase fits the profile at all, which is the only thing that gives me a glimmer of hope for the future of this team... The question to me, is whether or not Ross is going to get rid of him because he doesn't blow smoke up his ass... Him cutting those guys who were starters last week, shows to me that he isn't afraid to ruffle feathers in the front office or among the players... We need that type of attitude and leadership in Miami right now... I don't expect miracles overnight, but change has to start somewhere and you don't do that by placating mediocrity or kissing anyone's ass...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: Doctor Feelgood ()
Date: October 14, 2016 07:44AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> The answer, Doc, to your first paragraph question
> is that they think "Oh, we can't do that too much,
> it'll get old and they'll figure it out."

I'm of the mindset "if something is working, you keep doing it UNTIL
the other team proves they can stop it". That last game, there were two or three times Tanne rolled right and hit the TE for a nice gain. I'm thinking "why would you not keep doing that until they prove they can shut it down"??? Especially given the o-line situation. It boggles the imagination.

> I reply, "I'd rather lose doing what I'm good at
> than losing doing what I'm bad at."

Yeah, exactly. If I was going to criticize Gase at all, it would be for not sticking to the stuff that works with a little more conviction. Sometimes I think he may almost be over-thinking things and out-smarting himself.

Still, I think he'll get it together eventually. Or at least I hope so.

Date: October 14, 2016 07:58AM

As far as staying with what works, rollouts, etc ... I have said the same thing many times. Call plays that protect the O-Line, like rollouts, screens, draws and the like. I have also said that Gase clearly wants to push a system, regardless of what works for the current talent. The only thing I can say that I like about that (which isn't much), is that after the cuts and additions made since last week, he intends to make it work by bringing in players that fit his system.

He is obviously building the team to suite the system he wants to run ... on both sides of the ball.

Date: October 14, 2016 11:06AM

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.