HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          James and Offensive line
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
James and Offensive line
Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: September 27, 2016 04:53AM

One of the few things I've liked about Gase is his willingness to pull players who aren't performing. That said, on the pass play in overtime to Jarvis Landry that in effect won the game, Tannehill had a defensive end in his face when he threw the ball because Billy Turner, who replaced James, almost whiffed his block. God, do our O lineman suck.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: James and Offensive line
Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: September 27, 2016 05:02AM

It happens. Players get beat. As a whole our pass protection has improved 10 fold.

What I don't like seeing is Gase and Joseph sound a lot like Philbin and Coyle blaming poor execution. I thought they said all offseason they were going to coach to the talent on the team? What I see is a lot of players thinking and playing slow.

So how about we go back to basics and quit coaching to the scheme. This is the problem with first timers. Their egos get in the way of common sense.

If they keep blaming poor execution they're going to lose the locker room.

Posted by: CincinnatiFinFAn ()
Date: September 27, 2016 05:29AM

Well said jsm. It's the coached responsibility to put guys in a position to succeed. As we saw with Philbin, they insist on running their scheme regardless of results. One f the big differences between a successful coaching staff .... and ours, is the ability to make adjustments based on what you are seeing on the field.

Posted by: KB ()
Date: September 27, 2016 06:03AM

The whole system-guy-who-wont-make-adjustments thing has been the problem since Wanny (or maybe even JJ) took over.

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: September 27, 2016 06:21AM

I don't disagree but when you're dealing with an offensive lineman blocking a defensive end, I doubt the scheme has much to do with his getting beat. I remember when Jimmy took over as head coach & I saw him talking to a young player, he said, "It's easy, stupid, you knock him on his ass." That's the mentality I'd like to see with our lineman. They lack that nasty streak.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: September 27, 2016 06:57AM

I agree Im not pointing to scheme on either side of the ball. Its know your assignment and execute it.

Joseph said that he prefers a 3/4 D but his personal says 4/3 so that's what he is going with. He is actually trying to coach to these guys strength. On the D side I see more of the right calls where the player is in the right spot he just has to make the tackle or play.

D played well against Seattle Misi looked like an all star. Since then D has begun to decline poor tackling, ends not holding the edge.

Same w/ O play calling is better this year. Yes it could be better but overall its better. Guys have to pick up their play.
TEs had some good blocks in the SEA and NE games.

Posted by: dgoodhue ()
Date: September 28, 2016 05:38AM

I like what Gase is saying in public. I like that he benched Ajayi for sulking, benched James for sucking. He is trying to change the culture of the team. Miami has this problem for many years where the team folds and doesn't seem mentally strong. I do not know if Miami is going to be successful this year, but I have this feeling the roster itself might be part of the issue not the coaching staff. Last year their was disturbing story about Philbin getting rid of the strong minded players and I just wonder if Philbin stocked the roster with players that didn't challenge him. Obvious I don't know the whole story on every player, but we got rid Vontae Davis, Sean Smith, Dansby, Incognito, gave up on Brandon Marshall, and few DL (you can even argue Hartline as well) who all had success after leaving Miami. I just wonder if the culture of the team is molded in Philbin eyes and their is only so much that Gase can do in one offseason.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: September 28, 2016 09:41AM

I also like that Gase is returning James to the starting lineup. No Im dumping you in the dog house and throwing the key. Dude gave up 1 sack it was a big mistake but not a reflection of his overall play. Next year we have to let the injury prone go Cameron, Albert(willing but to many absences) and maybe Jenkins(see Albert). I think Grier tried to bring in alpha types in this draft. I still don't like giving up picks in rnd 3/4 for Carroo although I liked him at Rutgers. We are going to miss those picks next year.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: September 30, 2016 12:24AM

I think the benching strategy is a decent one if done properly as it renders a couple of different positive outcomes:
(a) benched players understand that it is a meritocracy and repeated poor performance won't be tolerated ad infinitum
(b) everyone gets to see how backups (aka potential future starters) perform in live games

However, if players see it as either unfair (Tanny is untouchable) or a pissing match where they might only need to wait out this "phase" of Gase's tenure, it obviously won't work.

As a fan, I'm very happy to see Gase do this. I've felt for a LONG time that our coaches have failed to get the best out of our players. I don't know precisely why, but it's worth trying whatever it takes to maximize the talent available.

Posted by: KB ()
Date: September 30, 2016 04:25AM

We've had one rookie head coach after another, none of them exactly exuding an air of 'I'm in charge and I know what I'm doing' confidence.

I know, I know, <insert great coach's name here> was a rookie once. But I'm just calling it like I see it. Our team is just leaderless and heartless, on the field, on the sideline and in the front office. Somebody is gonna have to step up, inspire everyone around him and rescue this franchise from the miserable state it's in. I just get no sense that it's gonna be Gase...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.