HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Game day thread
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Game day thread
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: September 18, 2016 11:02AM

Shades of last week, defense can't get ANYTHING done in the fourth quarter when we absolutely NEED them to.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: September 18, 2016 11:11AM

Wasted too much time screwing around on that last drive to give themselves a chance...

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: September 18, 2016 11:12AM

Game over. Miami gets beat by a team with their 2nd & 3rd string QB's. Totally embarrassing.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: September 18, 2016 11:12AM

At least they went down swinging.

The Clown Show Continues

-

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: September 18, 2016 11:17AM

There will be some who are going to claim that coming back to only lose by one score is some sort of moral victory. That is pure BS. While the second string QB was in the game, Miami was getting pulverized. They came back on a third string rookie QB and still couldn't get it done. Defense couldn't stop the run when everyone in the universe knew they were going to run. This is far from encouraging. This team is worse than I thought they'd be and I thought they were at best a 7 or 8 win team. Sell the team Ross, please.

Posted by: KB ()
Date: September 18, 2016 11:22AM

Well I guess it beats losing 42-10 or something. But most of me thinks the Pats were coasting...

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: September 18, 2016 11:22AM

He won't because he loves the limelight that comes with owning the team.

Date: September 18, 2016 11:25AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He won't because he loves the limelight that comes
> with owning the team.

There's not much limelight to being considered the worst owner in football. Never thought I'd say this but I'd rather have Jerry Jones or Daniel Snyder own the Fins.

Date: September 18, 2016 11:27AM

But you see...he's clueless. He doesn't think on the level that you are thinking. He's an idiot. He is oblivious to considering how bad it reflects on him how bad the team is.

Date: September 18, 2016 11:29AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> But you see...he's clueless. He doesn't think on
> the level that you are thinking. He's an idiot.
> He is oblivious to considering how bad it reflects
> on him how bad the team is.

Then we're doomed because a boob like him will never right this sinking ship.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: September 18, 2016 11:47AM

So far Vance Joseph is another Kevin Coyle. He's totally clueless coaching the D.

Posted by: AFCbeast ()
Date: September 18, 2016 12:13PM

Save yourself a lot of aggravation and turn this team off at the half if they only score 3 pts. Since RT... they are 2 wins out of 66 or 3%.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: September 18, 2016 04:41PM

What a farce.

Had Alonzo not planted Garopollo (SP?) in the ground the Pats would have buried us with plenty of points.

The Dolphins continue to be out-coached and out-trained.

The "come back" was incomplete...as usual. We can't and shouldn't expect anything more than "always missing the putt."

The Dolphins continue to fail...not much more one can say that hasn't already been said (or written).

There are the "haves" and "have nots". We know what we are and nothing will change until a smart owner takes over this team. Ross may have the desire to make it a winner, but he has no aptitude to make it happen. Building a modern stadium makes it attractive to have the big Super Bowl event in South Florida, however, it does nothing to make us a winning "have" franchise.

We are pitiful...just pitiful. eye rolling smiley

Date: September 18, 2016 05:22PM

Well said Colonel.

Date: September 18, 2016 05:42PM

I'm not even sure Ross cares that much about winning. If he did, he wouldn't have put the franchise's fortunes in the hands of a proven loser. Tannenbaum was an unmitigated failure in NY and there's nothing to suggest that anything will change in Miami. If he wanted to win, he'd have put friendship aside and hired a competent GM. It's sad that a franchise that was once a dynasty is now a joke. Next week, when Cleveland beats us at home, we can officially take over the role of worst NFL franchise from them.

Date: September 18, 2016 06:22PM

That's right 72. Ross's good old boy/take care of my friends mentality is a complete detriment to the success of this franchise.

Posted by: chrisnnavarre ()
Date: September 18, 2016 07:17PM

Beaten by a junior varsity Patriots roster.

Even the normally reliable Patriots field goal kicker missed giving the Dolphins a chance to tie the game.

KARMA, it's an amazing thing. So is cancer in a professional sports locker room.

I hope they enjoyed the ride home discussing next weeks plan to protest in front of the home crowd in Miami.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2016 07:28PM by chrisnnavarre.

Date: September 19, 2016 12:43AM

My thoughts--what home crowd? The turnout will likely be very light. There are many other "fun" activities to do in South Florida at a fair price than to go to a Dolphins game and be terribly disappointed. This, I believe is the reality that our brilliant franchise owner and management have created with yet another group of players and coaches. The team should sew in a large L (for loser) on each jersey, but on second thought...the reputation for being a loser has become quite evident. We are just pitiful...and what is worse is that none of us fans can do anything about it. Our words mean nothing, our "protests" for competent coaches, better trainers, teachers and players with real talent and aptitude go unnoticed. Even a stadium filled with empty seats hasn't hit home. Amazing isn't it.

Colonel

Posted by: Grimey13 ()
Date: September 19, 2016 03:11AM

chrisnnavarre Wrote:
> Beaten by a junior varsity Patriots roster.
>

I did not watch the game and I have not watched any of the replays at all so why do you consider it junior varsity? Because Garoppolo started (but didn't finish) and because Gronk didn't play? Were the Patriots missing more players that I am unaware of.

I have always believed that the Patriots could put pretty much anybody behind Belichick and the way he preps for games and still beat most team on a day to day basis. Maybe Garrapollo has some game in him. You saw that we started to come back once the third string QB was in.

I don't consider the Pats a junior varsity team just because Brady isn't on the field.

I am pissed that they lost as well but would not go as far as saying that the Pats where junior varsity. As long as that coaching staff is there they will always have a chance. That is what "we" do not have. I competent front office and players that under perform.

Date: September 19, 2016 04:42AM

Fella's I hate to say this every single season but...the number one reason why we are as bad as we have been lately is simple and nobody wants to hear it.

The Pats have been in the same system with the same coach for 16 years now. Every player on the roster knows what to do and what every other player is going to do every snap of the game. Consistency, is their key. This allows them to protect rookies and QB's by limiting their exposure. i.e., you only need to hold your block for 2 seconds because the ball will be gone, or make a quick read and throw because the defense can't get to you and the receivers will make you look good with good crisp routes and sure hands.

We however, have had 9 head coaches and at least 11 new offensive systems in that time span along with at least 9 defensive systems. Add to that all of the roster turn over that goes along with it and we have had what, 4 or 5 GM's as well?

You can't build consistent quality play on the field without stability and consistent leadership and direction.

You show me a team that has a new coach/system/GM...et al, every two years or so, and I'll show you a bad, inconsistent, mistake prone, underachieving team.

We used to be like the the better teams which all have the common trait of stability...when we had Shula. The closest we've been since, was under DW and we won more games under him than any HC since Shula...no accident.

I knew it would take 4-6 games for our team to gel and get on the same page...hoped it would be sooner but alas.

The Pats are not JV, regardless of who the QB or TE's are. They are asking JG to do exactly the same things TB does...it's mostly the safe system and the prep they put in that makes everything work so well. Superior talent at some positions is just icing on the cake and makes everything more well oiled.

Posted by: Grimey13 ()
Date: September 19, 2016 05:16AM

Agree 100% with you Ken. smileys with beer

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 19, 2016 05:43AM

Ken is absolutely right.

Date: September 19, 2016 06:09AM

It's kind of a chicken & egg analysis. Do we keep changing systems and coaches because they're losers, or are we losers because we keep changing systems and coaches? The bottom line is that you have to have a front office that is dedicated to winning, period. Our front office is dedicated to employing Stephen Ross' friends. The Ravens are perennially successful because Ozzie Newsome knows talent and drafts well year in and year out. We now have a VP of football operations who after flaming out in NY, couldn't get another job so became an agent. Then his buddy Stephen Ross thought it was a good idea to put him in charge? Seriously? Gee, I guess Matt Millen wasn't available. Hire the correct GM and let him hire the coaches and select the players. Do that and I expect you'll get the stability that the Pats have had. Bottom line, this franchise needs a wholesale house cleaning from top to bottom. Find the best house cleaner and let him go to work. Ross won't do that, though. He'd hate to hurt Tannenbaum's feelings.

Date: September 19, 2016 09:58AM

Well, when you keep getting rid of coaches.....for instance...you guys just couldn't stand Sparano and his "fist pump" on field goals....we got Philbin and he ended up being worst.

You weren't satisfied with Sparano and his playoffs or near playoff teams.

It is well to mention Shula because we kept rejecting every other coach because he did not match up to Shula which was Hall of Fame....but nobody could and nobody would...until you got a real loser in Philbin who ruined the team in every way possible.

So it's going to take sometime to recuperate from Philbin, the opposite of Shula.

Posted by: KB ()
Date: September 19, 2016 10:31AM

Hobsons choice. A coach has to SHOW SOMETHING to justify keeping him on for 5+ years. Anyone really think if we leave our current staff and front office in place for the next 6 years they'll show in 3 SB's like Bellicheat & Co did? If so, I've got this bridge you'd be interested in...

Date: September 19, 2016 11:15AM

I don't care if you have a coaching staff of Don Shula, Chuck Noll, George Halas, and Vince Lombardi, if you are continually making poor player personnel decisions, you will lose. Remember that Wannstedt while playing with Jimmy Johnson's personnel, actually had two years of playoffs. Once his player selection decisions took root, the loss total got worse and worse. Coaches can certainly make a difference, and I wasn't in favor of Gase because in my mind his claim to fame was coaching Peyton Manning who at that point in his career was really the de facto offensive coordinator. But, I don't care who is coaching because while Tannenbaum runs the system that is selecting players, draft & free agency, in the immortal words of Gary Stevens, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Date: September 19, 2016 12:51PM

The Dolphins franchise has slowly devolved to become a perennial loser. Reversing this trend, I believe, starts at the very top.

Moreover, a reversal in trend is unlikely. Expect subpar coaching, player selection and weekly disappointment on the field.

This is not a forecast, nor a prediction. It is based on long term observation of what has transpired year after year.

Just pitiful.

Date: September 21, 2016 01:17AM

Certainly we can expect that if we don't give whomever we hire the time to do their jobs. Every two years on average is nowhere near long enough to make an accurate judgment.

Philbin may have had better results if not for the GM and OC issues and firings which forced him to revamp...who knows.

I agree we have to hire the right people but who exactly are the right people? If we knew the answer to that we'd all be rich.

Gase has done enough so far IMHO to make me think that "just maybe" we are finally starting to get headed in the right direction.... More time and a larger sample size is required however to know for sure.

I, like all of you, want more frequent positive results on the field. Hope we get more starting this week and that it becomes more and more routine.

Posted by: Rgphin ()
Date: September 22, 2016 09:25AM

After watching the game, i have to say that the difference between NE and Miami Is coaching most of all.

Notice any players you start, even backups are successfull in New England.

Date: September 22, 2016 12:27PM

But that sounds more like the person in charge of drafting! Being to blame that is.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.