HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Seattle game observations
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Seattle game observations
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: September 11, 2016 08:55PM

I had to work today, so I just got finished watching the game, and I noticed some things:
Dropped passes hurt us a LOT. After Stills' big drop and then Cameron dropping a poor pass that he got both hands on, the team's play declined for a while, but if Philbin was still here they would have collapsed for the rest of a blowout loss. Stills better be looking over his shoulder, I think Carroo may be there.
On that pass, the blocking was excellent, the throw was right on the money, the route that Stills ran was excellent..a professional receiver MUST make that catch.
Seattle's O-line got away with a lot of stuff, holding and even jumping early. Maybe some cheap shots, too.
We seemed to be playing with something we haven't had for a while- heart.
I was happy to see T-hill take the offense down the field and put it into the end zone with 4 minutes left. He still holds the ball too long sometimes, mostly when his first reads aren't open. The offense is still moving too slowly, and there are still too many 3-and-outs. But, he got it done when he needed to.
Once more, Tannehill showed that he is as tough as a Texas steer.
Gase's play calling was suspect at times, excellent at others.
The defense was surprisingly good, but still folded when we needed them most.
Ajayi needs a good kick in the ass -if Gase's decision to leave him in Miami wasn't enough.
Maybe D. Williams should get more opportunities.
M. Williams finally looked like what he is supposed to be.
The offensive line did a pretty good job at pass protection. T-hill still got sacked twice and knocked around plenty. What does that tell you about his pocket presence?
Tunsil made a rookie mistake in his spacing on that blocked FG- potentially, the winning points.
I think the d-backs give up too much space, particularly in medium to long 3rd down situations.
Alonso showed flashes- but nothing more.
Howard also showed flashes- but that is what we needed from him.
The O-line did a poor job of run blocking. We need to do SOMETHING to get the running game going. Not being able to run out the clock with the lead late in games is going to bite us big time.
I noticed that the Seahawks picked on Maxwell several times on that last drive- what do they know that we don't?

To sum up, we had plenty of chances to win this game, we just made the little mistakes that it is all it takes to lose in the NFL.
I also saw much to make me think that this year might not be as bad as some of us feared.
Ultimately, it was an entertaining if somewhat disappointing game in the end.

Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Seattle game observations
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: September 12, 2016 02:05AM

Great analysis, Rick!

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: September 12, 2016 05:33AM

I totally agree about the run blocking. The inability to run can also have an effect on the defense late in the game. I'm not sure what the final tally was on time of possession but I have to believe it was heavily in Seattle's favor. You can't leave your defense out there that long and not expect them to crack.

I have to wonder whether our defense is as good as it showed, or whether Seattle's offense isn't what everyone thought. The next few games should tell us.

One thing I noticed was that the defense was no where near as good after Mario Williams got hurt. He was unstoppable. Without him, the defense is much more limited.

Not a good game from our receivers. Stills was obviously the main culprit but no one really distinguished themselves. We could really use Devante Parker but who knows how long he'll be out.

I agree that Seattle got away with some clearly cheap late shots. One play in particular I remember Jarvis Landry was hit after the ball out of the TV picture and it was clearly not a hit to separate him from the ball. I don't doubt that's a reflection of their douchebag coach.

Also, I thought the announcers calling the game made waaaaaaay too much of Wilson's injury. I don't doubt he tweaked his ankle, but several plays afterward, I saw no evidence that he was limited. Sometimes I think players play up their "injury" during a game for dramatic effect.

Lastly, I have to say that if Gase was hired to be a QB whisperer, he might need to whisper louder. I'm not saying the loss is on Tannehill, but at the same time, I didn't see much change from last year. He still holds onto the ball way too long which is odd because I was led to believe Gase's system is primarily short drops and getting rid of the ball quickly.

I would normally be upset following a close loss like this one, but I had absolutely no expectation we'd win even after we took the lead late in the game. That's what being a Dolphins fan does to you eventually I guess.

Date: September 12, 2016 06:29AM

I agree that Tanny held on too long on plays, but it was great to see him audible...and do it at the right time. If that Stills TD would have been completed, I think we could have run more plays to stretch the defense. That would have improved our running attack (pass to run, rather than run to pass). Problem is, if all our passes are 5-7 yards, it really shortens the field for what we can do. I could understand if our QB didn't have a strong arm (like Pennington), but Tanny can definitely heave it.

I REALLY hope we limit or completely eliminate the passes BEHIND THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE. I HATE those plays. Except for an occasional screen, those passes rarely net very many yards. It puts the WR in a weird situation of having to get past 3 waves of defense (D-Line, LB, Secondary). It's rarely a battle they win.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 12, 2016 07:44AM

QUote:I REALLY hope we limit or completely eliminate the passes BEHIND THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE.

Exactly....You need 5 yards to make a first down and throw a pass behind the LOS...?

The receivers gets tackled for no gain....

Same ol same ol...

And you make a good point....its not pennington playing.....You have a qb with a above average arm. tannehill has a very good arm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2016 11:23AM by samsam3738.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: September 12, 2016 10:21AM

Did anyone here truly believe that the Dolphins' D would keep Seattle out of the end zone on that last drive? We've been seeing that "fold in crunch time" for a long, long time.

Our pass D (front 7) did a good job; our run D was poor. Seattle got the needed yards most every time they needed it. 3rd and 11 and they run for 13? Sadly, that's the norm for the Miami D.

As someone said, Stills better be looking over his shoulder after that blunder. Once Parker gets back....

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: September 12, 2016 10:54AM

Not only an above average arm but above average feet, SamSam.

I was disappointed in the defensive line and ALSO the offensive line.

Wilson had time to crack open five peanuts and eat the nuts. With Tanny, it was like the wind rushing in when you open a door. Those two statements boil down to us SUCKING BIG TIME on both our offense and defense lines. And dammit, with the exception of basically picking Tanny some five years ago, we have spent all our damn high picks on oline and dline.

Date: September 12, 2016 11:04AM

Quote: Not only an above average arm but above average feet, SamSam.

Right!!! His feet might be his best weapon...

Also yesterday it finnally proved tannehill can take a pounding.....

Never seen him take a pounding like that including when he went in for a td...

Also one of the sacks he hit his head on the ground. that could had been a concussion.

It seems he is made of rubber sometimes.

He has the size and weight to take a pounding.

Hope i dont jinx it.

Knock on wood.

Date: September 12, 2016 11:12AM

Chren the Dline did very good the entire game except the last drive........Come on they allowed only 12 points..........

I take that outcome anyday.....

As far as the Oline.....They were going against one of the best dlines in pro football and at times tannehill had a lot of times to throw the ball...

Considering our starting center was out and there was a backup in his place the OLine didnt do as bad as i expected them to do.

Yes Juwann james and brandon albert struggled some.....and the center gave away that rush for a sack through the middle but overall they didnt do so bad.

Tunsil had a positive grade....And the other guard they didnt mention him so thats a good thing.

Remember 3 new starters on the OLine.

I think we will get better as the season progresses.

Date: September 12, 2016 11:19AM

Thats bomb to stills.......tannehill had like 10 seconds to throw the football.

thats a td....and 2 fieldgoals thatwe didnt score....the one blocked and the one we went for it on 4th down....that should had been a fieldgoal...

Should had ended the game with 23 points...instead of 10.

23 points its a win if you play good defense which we did. Again except that one last drive.......Players get tired.

Notice in any other game in the NFL this past week....You score 12 points and its a loss.

Date: September 12, 2016 11:22AM

You add all those things including that timeout on 4th down....and it all adds up to a loss.

Date: September 12, 2016 11:31AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Chren the Dline did very good the entire game
> except the last drive........Come on they allowed
> only 12 points..........
>
>
> I take that outcome anyday.....
>
>
> As far as the Oline.....They were going against
> one of the best dlines in pro football and at
> times tannehill had a lot of times to throw the
> ball...
>
> Considering our starting center was out and there
> was a backup in his place the OLine didnt do as
> bad as i expected them to do.
>
>
> Yes Juwann james and brandon albert struggled
> some.....and the center gave away that rush for a
> sack through the middle but overall they didnt do
> so bad.
>
> Tunsil had a positive grade....And the other guard
> they didnt mention him so thats a good thing.
>
>
> Remember 3 new starters on the OLine.
>
> I think we will get better as the season
> progresses.

I also think the OL will get better, Sam, but I'm not giving them a passing grade vs Seattle.

RT got hit far too many times, and when it was crunch time in the last series of the game, the OL failed.

The running game went nowhere. No push on inches to go.

The DLine played well against the pass; not so good vs the run. Far too many holes.

Yes, the positive was the Miami D only allowed 12 points, but if not for their failing on Seattle's last drive (which is common place when talking of the Dolphins), they would have had only 6 points and Miami would have won the game.

Date: September 12, 2016 11:37AM

You are asking the defense too much capkoi....

The defense was on the field too many minutes....They were tired at the end drive.

You are asking the defense to allow just 6 points? In the NFL?

Against a top contending team...?

Scoring just 12 points in the nfl is unheard of.

Look at every other game played.....12 points would not had been enough to win against any other team that played yesterday.

I blame more the offense than the defense on yesterdays loss.

We should had scored 23 points on offense which would had been enough to win.

We score 10 points the rest of the way and it will be a blowout loss every other game....

Gotta help the defense.

Posted by: KB ()
Date: September 12, 2016 12:39PM

The Defense - Other than letting Seattle march down the field and score a go ahead TD with less than a Min left, The D played well eye rolling smiley Seriously though they did look STOUT most of the game. Seattle scored a lot of pts last year and of course are projected to be a top offense this year, so I'm encouraged. Williams helps A LOT, with him in there it's hard to know who to double team. hope he's OK.

The Offense...meh...Same Old $h1t - dropped passes, missed receivers, QB sacks, hits, hurries, ball held to long, mediocre running game, poor play calls, missed FG's, wasted opportunities, 10pts...Will we EVER have an offense that worries an opponent again? Starting to wonder.

Date: September 12, 2016 12:59PM

stills catches that bomb and the game changes......All of a sudden the safeties play centerfield worried about the long pass...the running game improves.......

What could have been.

Nobody worries about the long pass against the phins because we have dont have it.

Been like that since dan left.................

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: September 12, 2016 02:10PM

Opponents are already assessing our team's weaknesses. Opponents will continue to mix it up, pass and run, but when it comes time to slow the game, they will run the clock out against our weak run defense. Even with 2 minutes left on the clock with the Dolphins having the ball to possibly win a game, opponents know that our sub par coaching and team play will usually take over to close out the game.

This has been the norm for years now. Nothing I see tells me things have changed or will change. Very sad....sad smiley

Date: September 13, 2016 09:20AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> You are asking the defense too much capkoi....
>
>
> The defense was on the field too many
> minutes....They were tired at the end drive.
>
> You are asking the defense to allow just 6 points?
> In the NFL?
>
> Against a top contending team...?
>
>
> Scoring just 12 points in the nfl is unheard of.
>
>
> Look at every other game played.....12 points
> would not had been enough to win against any other
> team that played yesterday.
>
>
> I blame more the offense than the defense on
> yesterdays loss.
>
> We should had scored 23 points on offense which
> would had been enough to win.
>
>
> We score 10 points the rest of the way and it will
> be a blowout loss every other game....
>
> Gotta help the defense.

I must disagree, Sam, that I am not asking too much of the defense.They are supposed to be the strength of the team, well, the front 7 anyway.

Too tired? If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Miami's offense on the field for quite a bit of time when they scored prior to Seattle's march down the field? Correct me if I'm wrong.

As I said above, the "fold at crunch time" is the norm in Miami. As another poster said, they were "stout" throughout the game, until the last drive. In other words, the Dolphins still haven't learned how to close out a game.

Not sure what you are trying to say, Sam, about the 6 points, when referring to my post? I said that was a positive of the game.

If you wish to blame the offense, that is your right, but look at who our offense faced. Seattle has one of the best defenses in the league. Miami held their own...except for the running game. We still don't have one. And as I mentioned, Stills' drop was major. Miami is not good enough (yet) for things like that to happen. I read where Stills said it was just a drop, something to learn from. Yeah, well, learn that lesson while you personally helped the Dolphins to an 0-1 start and facing New England next.

Date: September 13, 2016 09:22AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> stills catches that bomb and the game
> changes......All of a sudden the safeties play
> centerfield worried about the long pass...the
> running game improves.......
>
>
> What could have been.
>
>
> Nobody worries about the long pass against the
> phins because we have dont have it.
>
>
> Been like that since dan left.................

You may be right in that nobody worries about the long pass, but I believe they are aware of it. They know RT has the arm strength, so they aren't just ignoring it. That pass to Stills will keep defenses honest.

Date: September 13, 2016 11:16AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> stills catches that bomb and the game
> changes......All of a sudden the safeties play
> centerfield worried about the long pass...the
> running game improves.......
>
>
> What could have been.
>
>
> Nobody worries about the long pass against the
> phins because we have dont have it.
>
>
> Been like that since dan left.................

Dont blame it on Ryan Tannehill. He couldn't have done more yesterday. He left his soul and some brain cells out there. He was throwing great and went HEAD first for 1st downs. This team is just not prepared to give enough to stand for the national anthem. How can you expect them to sacrifice anything else to be great? Its a sad sad time to be a Dolphins fan. We need a owner that cares about leadership and toughness not just a fancy stadium. This season is over as far as I'm concerned.

maybe in a few years with a new owner we can be great again.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: September 13, 2016 11:26AM

TCPF.....................You can have the best QB in the world....

You have no receivers that can go deep.....and you have no deep pass either.

I wasnt blaming tannehill...You are right. And i agree.

He left his soul on the field on sunday.

Posted by: dgoodhue ()
Date: September 14, 2016 03:44AM

The DL also got dinged up late in the game. Mario Williams and Mitchell left the game. Jordan Phillips went out a couple time so they were down to 5 man rotation at the end of the game. I think Gase's strategy was to use time out on Seattle TD drive was to give the defense a rest.

My observations

I thought it was a positive that Tannehill put together a go ahead TD late in the 4th quarter. We haven't seen him do that too often.

Gase said in his press conference that he took too long to make offensive play calling adjustments. The run game mostly sucked and OL didn't run block that well but we saw that pretty much all preseason anyways. Seattle's defense was among the top 3 defense in the league last year and Miami is implementing a new offense. Obviously Still's drop is unacceptable, it was perfectly thrown ball, in stride to wide open WR. As the season progress the offense does have to improve and score point for Miami to have success. The pass protection is better this year.

Beside the last drive the defense played very well and got a couple turnovers.

The DL played very well, they got some pressure, mostly contained Wilson to the pocket and blew up some running plays.

The LB actually made some plays. Alonso didn't play like the next Zach Thomas but he was a huge improvement over Sheppard. The Seattle rushed for over 100 yards but at only 3.5 ypc. This is huge improve to last year when almost every game the run defense was allowing big running play after big play.

The safeties played well and CB didn't get completely lit up. We don't have a shut down corner and we had a rookie CB starting. The patch work cb might work especially if Culver can comeback and we can stay healthy.

The blocked FG isn't good. A bunch of return yards were call back because of penalties. I question if it really is a good idea to be taking the ball out of the end zone on kick offs. On the last KO return he should have taken a knee. Special teams didn't have a good game.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: September 14, 2016 02:40PM

With 31 seconds left seattle sent the house at tannehill.

With 4 minutes left Vance Joseph dropped everyone 10 yards off the line and played prevent.

He sure looked a lot like kevin coyle on that final drive. And that was going against a gimp QB.

Just once I'd like to see us take chances on D. We seem so afraid of giving up a big play that we let teams convert 4th downs with ease. We have the talent up front. Unleash it.

As much as I've heard "wide 9" I don't recall seeing our ends lined up wide once in that game.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: September 14, 2016 02:45PM

Well, come to think of it, with our supposedly vaunted defensive line of Cameron Wake N. Suh Mitchell and Williams.....BRING THE HOUSE!

Date: September 14, 2016 05:56PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> You have no receivers that can go deep.....and you
> have no deep pass either.
>
Hopefully Parker will be back. He's our only real deep threat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.