HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Just watching Gruden's QB camp 2016
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Just watching Gruden's QB camp 2016
Date: August 06, 2016 12:58PM

He had Brett Farve on because he's getting inducted into the HOF this week. They were reviewing a Playoff game between Greenbay and the Falcons from way back. Dont know exactly what year or season.

Apparently Gruden was an assistant back then on Greenbay? Didn't know that either.

4th quarter , GB is out of Time outs , only seconds left on the clock and they are down by 3 points on the 16 Yd line. Gruden heard Coach Holmgreen call a pass play to the tightend. He warned Farve 5 times NOT TO SCRAMBLE OR RUN. He said , if no one is open, throw it away and we kick the field goal and go to Overtime. He said Farve understood.

What does he do? He sees a hole and runs 16 yds for a diving touchdown to win the game. It was great to see them laugh about it now but that took a Hell of alot of confidence to do.

My point. This is my best way to describe Why I back Ryan Tannehill and what he lacks most. And why. Confidence. To a point you are born with an ability and a want and desire to succeed. But Young QB's especially those that didn't play the position in college are not going to have loads of it. I saw a really gutsy Kid when Tanny first arrived. he would take chances , run the ball, and used to throw on the run.

He made plays, he showed a spark this team hasnt seen in over a decade.
Tannehill went on to set franchise rookie records for passing yards, attempts, and completions.

Then he lost his Pro Bowl OT Jake Long due to injuries . And His progress was overseen by the inept Joe Philbin. The Offensive Coordinator was his buddy Mike Sherman . This pair couldn't even fixed a poor snap count. They never addressed the poor Offensive line OR they never drafted the right players and the free agents got hurt.

Tannehill was handcuffed , and any progress to excel was completely stagnated.

You got a Player like Farve who was taken as a 3rd string back up and ultimately makes plays like the one described above and is going into the HOF.

Kid like Tannehill with sky limit potential is a 1st round round draft choice and is still not considered anywhere near elite. Why!?

COACHING. Holmgreen and Gruden Vs. Philbin and his friends.

COACHING. Coaching is a form of development in which a person called a coach supports a learner or client in achieving a specific personal or professional goal. coaching is an informal relationship between two people, of whom one has more experience and expertise than the other and offers advice and guidance as the latter learns; but coaching differs from mentoring in focusing on specific tasks or objectives, as opposed to general goals or overall development.

Can any of us honestly say Joe Philbin offered any of that in Tannehills development? He expected Tannehill to know it all already , and when he didnt he handcuffed him. Add that to poor draft choices , injuries on the line and you have Tannehills career so far.

4000 yds despite it all. He still has a great outlook and is motivated. Coach Gase is known for making QBs better. He picked the Miami Dolphins specifically because of Tanehill .

I know he has the goods. I saw it first hand and went to 6 games his rookie season. Tannehill ran the 40-yard dash in 4.58 seconds at his pro day. He was considered the #3 quarterback prospect in the 2012 NFL Draft class behind Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III.

He has been relatively healthy unlike both of them .

Believe. This is NO wet firecracker......just an underdeveloped talent.

Ryan Tannehill will take it to the next level. I just wish we had more Oline depth.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Just watching Gruden's QB camp 2016
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: August 06, 2016 01:13PM

Those rookie records need an asterisk next to them, due to the rule changes that make this a pass-happy league. I won't argue that Tanny has had issues with his O-Line and coach, but Favre played behind a bad O-Line for much of his career as well. Those 2 are as different as can be. Favre was the kind of player that would make coaches tear their hair out. He would often go "off-script" to make plays. The reason was simple: he was the smartest guy on the field (that includes the coaches) and he saw things other guys didn't. The great QBs could do that. Coaches used to understand that, and a few still do. Just look at the coaches that allow their QBs to call their own plays.

I realize Tanny has been handcuffed...and so was Henne before him...but that's pretty much par-for-the-course in today's NFL. Few QBs really command their team anymore. Most play in systems, and that's what Tanny is....a system QB. He COULD BE a great system QB in the right system, but throw him on the field with little-to-no structure and he fails. That's the kind of environment that Favre thrived in.

Date: August 06, 2016 01:23PM

O no doubt.......they are very different style wise. But my point was there is one other major difference: CONFIDENCE.

And I believe he possessed confidence in his rookie season. I saw it. I was blown away by his speed and accuracy throwing on bootlegs and the run.

However that fire was snuffed out by Philbin and never encouraged. I really liked Coach Campbell and I think he would have encouraged Tanehill as well.......But Gase is just the "QB whisperer" he needed.

I'm really excited ......I just wish we had more Oline depth. Our first pick was amazing. Tanehill is better already for it.....but we need depth. Injuries will happen.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: August 06, 2016 01:27PM

Cool. Glad you're excited. I'm not...yet. I DO think putting in a rookie QB too early can snuff out that confidence. It happened to David Carr...and he never got it back. For a guy to be confident in the NFL, they have to succeed at what they do. We'll see if Gase gives Tanny a chance...but, more importantly, if Tanny can do something with that chance. If he screws up, then I don't see Tanny ever getting better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2016 01:27PM by montequi.

Date: August 06, 2016 01:30PM

montequi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
We'll see if Gase gives Tanny a
> chance...but, more importantly, if Tanny can do
> something with that chance. If he screws up, then
> I don't see Tanny ever getting better.

Exactly. Thats why I'm worried about the lack of depth on the line. we could be 1 injury away from disaster.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: August 06, 2016 04:27PM

First post by Treasure is spot on in every aspect.

Date: August 08, 2016 03:39PM

montequi Wrote:
> Favre was the kind of player that would make
> coaches tear their hair out. He would often go
> "off-script" to make plays. The reason was
> simple: he was the smartest guy on the field
> (that includes the coaches) and he saw things
> other guys didn't. The great QBs could do that.
> Coaches used to understand that, and a few still
> do.

Now I keep reading things about Brad Doughty...and I remembered my post. Tanny isn't anything like Favre...but Doughty is! In fact, the more I read about him, the better the comparison seems...except for the arm strength.

Date: August 11, 2016 04:19PM

montequi Wrote:
> montequi Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Favre was the kind of player that would make
> > coaches tear their hair out. He would often go
> > "off-script" to make plays. The reason was
> > simple: he was the smartest guy on the field
> > (that includes the coaches) and he saw things
> > other guys didn't. The great QBs could do that.
>
> > Coaches used to understand that, and a few
> still
> > do.
>
> Now I keep reading things about Brad Doughty...and
> I remembered my post. Tanny isn't anything like
> Favre...but Doughty is! In fact, the more I read
> about him, the better the comparison
> seems...except for the arm strength.

I think you missed my point. No way Tanny is remotely like Farve. Actually on the run, scrambling I think he's better. But Farve TOOK CHANCES. He made sick throws and completions were he had no business throwing a football. Because he had Big brass ones and confidence. You cant develop that when your head coach wont even let you audible or change a snap count. After a while you become a robot just going thru motions and not adapting to what defenses are giving you.

Philbin might have been a decent assistant but he was a holy horror running the show. He depended on friendships to get him thru the season hiring buddies instead of the best of the best.

Watch what Tanny accomplishes with some real coaching. Watch. smileys with beer

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: August 11, 2016 05:24PM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
>
> Watch what Tanny accomplishes with some real
> coaching. Watch. smileys with beer

Oh, I'll be watching. We'll follow up after a few preseason games.

Date: August 11, 2016 06:44PM

I hope you're right.

Date: August 12, 2016 07:34AM

And I'll be honest. I back Tannehill because I saw such an incredible athlete that first season. Guy was fast! He made some great throws on the run. And I feel he got a raw deal after that.

But give him a solid healthy line, no distractions (bullygate, and a revolving door of recievers and runningbacks)

And a coach giving him solid chances to succeed, and he still doesn't get it done, I'll be at the front of the pack carrying the pitchfork!

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 12, 2016 07:45AM

Date: August 12, 2016 08:25AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Like ive said.....NO MORE EXCUSES FOR TANNEHILL.

Sure there is. Will the Oline remain healthy? How's the depth? New runningbacks. Lot of new players, staff all over. I don't think Gase will tolerate hI'm long if he's not producing.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: August 12, 2016 09:09AM

Even if the Oline struggles he needs to produce.

You never saw a marino's Oline struggling.

If the blocking fails he needs to scramble and find another way.

If he keeps been in the pocket like CHREN SAYs.....Like a deer in the headlights.....And doesnt try to make something happen.....it will be the same thing from last year.

He will wait clueless in pocket till he gets sacked.

They talking about giving him more freedom to make plays...

We will see if he can do it or not this year.

Date: August 12, 2016 09:10AM

I had some good afternoons watching fielder play.....

Id settle for tannehill to be as good as fiedler in that respect....Scrambling and making things happen with his feet.

Date: August 12, 2016 09:41AM

I done told thy wife she gots to go to the living room tonight to watch the soapopera bull crap..HAHAHAHAHAHA

Ok i asked politely.

Mommy can i watch the game in the 40 incher in the room pleeeeeeeease?

Date: August 12, 2016 10:09AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> You never saw a marino's Oline struggling.
>
What? You must not remember when Dwight Stephenson went down. The O-Line DID struggle. Our running game, what little we had, came to a screeching halt. Dan had to adjust, and he did..as any great QB would.

Date: August 12, 2016 10:09AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Even if the Oline struggles he needs to produce.
>
>
> You never saw a marino's Oline struggling.
>
>
> If the blocking fails he needs to scramble and
> find another way.
>
>
> If he keeps been in the pocket like CHREN
> SAYs.....Like a deer in the headlights.....And
> doesnt try to make something happen.....it will be
> the same thing from last year.
>
> He will wait clueless in pocket till he gets
> sacked.
>
> They talking about giving him more freedom to make
> plays...
>
>
> We will see if he can do it or not this year.

Your entitled to your opinion but if the Oline struggles, yes he will have an excuse.

Marino played on a superbowl caliber oline our of college, and had the winningest coach in NFL history. Don't make an unfair comparison

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: August 12, 2016 10:22AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> samsam3738 Wrote:
> -----
> > Even if the Oline struggles he needs to
> produce.
> >
> >
> > You never saw a marino's Oline struggling.
> >
> >
> > If the blocking fails he needs to scramble and
> > find another way.
> >
> >
> > If he keeps been in the pocket like CHREN
> > SAYs.....Like a deer in the headlights.....And
> > doesnt try to make something happen.....it will
> be
> > the same thing from last year.
> >
> > He will wait clueless in pocket till he gets
> > sacked.
> >
> > They talking about giving him more freedom to
> make
> > plays...
> >
> >
> > We will see if he can do it or not this year.
>
>
> Your entitled to your opinion but if the Oline
> struggles, yes he will have an excuse.
>
> Marino played on a superbowl caliber oline our of
> college, and had the winningest coach in NFL
> history. Don't make an unfair comparison

He played in a great line out of college. I agree....But how about the other 15 years he played in the league.....We never said....Wow this Oline stinks.......

My whole point is he needs to get to the next level and make everyone around him better. Thats what good QBs do.

Date: August 12, 2016 10:28AM

Why do you think just about anybody they put in New Englands Oline works out for them....

Guarantee you if you put in those same backups to start for the dolphins.......guarantee you we would fail.

And guys here were always talking about how when the NE Oline had injuries how just about anybody they put in as backups got the job done.

4 words...

Pro Bowl Q.B.

Date: August 12, 2016 11:21AM

Treasure, I have to go with SamSam on this one. Do you know what the test is? The test is time. If a QB takes the snap and as he is backing up, the Def. line is coming at him step for step, then you blame the o line.

If, on the other hand, the QB takes the snap, goes back a few yards, looks left for two seconds, looks right for two seconds, and then looks straight into space for two seconds and then is sacked, it's the QBs fault no matter how lousy you can prove the O line is with other stats.

A true scenario where the o line is at fault is when the QB takes a snap and step for step, as he backs up, the defensive line rushes through the offensive line and the QB is sacked even before the QB can raise his arm.

That's not Tanny, Treasure. Tanny is standing back there unmolested like a deer in the headlights and does not even has the confidence to throw it into the cheap seats.

Date: August 12, 2016 11:32AM

If i was the headcoach i would give him all the freedom he wants.....Whats the worst that could happen...That he stinks?

Then go with another option at qb next year....

At least you will know he wasnt capable of producing. And he wont go to another team and become great. You will know he has nothing left in the tank. Thats all he is going to be.

But if we keep doing the same crap we did last year.....Which was to keep him in the pocket, then you will never know if he can become good or not.

Plus:

Let him call his own playes even.....Its not like he is rookie. He has been in the league for 5 years now...He is a veteran.

Date: August 14, 2016 10:11AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Why do you think just about anybody they put in
> New Englands Oline works out for them....
>
>
> Guarantee you if you put in those same backups to
> start for the dolphins.......guarantee you we
> would fail.
>
>
> And guys here were always talking about how when
> the NE Oline had injuries how just about anybody
> they put in as backups got the job done.
>
> 4 words...
>
> Pro Bowl Q.B.

Most valuable player on the Patriots is Bill Belichick. He even made Matt cassell look good in 2008 when the Pats went 11-5 without Brady.

Stop it already Sam Sam. Read your above paragraph. Your already dismissing Tannehill. He's our Franchise QB. Deal with it.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: August 14, 2016 01:38PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> If i was the headcoach i would give him all the
> freedom he wants.....Whats the worst that could
> happen...That he stinks?
>
>
> Then go with another option at qb next year....
>
>
> At least you will know he wasnt capable of
> producing. And he wont go to another team and
> become great. You will know he has nothing left in
> the tank. Thats all he is going to be.
>
> But if we keep doing the same crap we did last
> year.....Which was to keep him in the pocket, then
> you will never know if he can become good or not.
>
> Plus:
>
>
> Let him call his own playes even.....Its not like
> he is rookie. He has been in the league for 5
> years now...He is a veteran.

Agreed! Give him enough rope, and see if he hangs himself or actually produces. I've always been a proponent of letting QBs call their own plays. These control-freak coaches/coordinators are ruining the game.

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: August 19, 2016 09:08AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Like ive said.....NO MORE EXCUSES FOR TANNEHILL.

wasn't that said last year too?

Date: August 19, 2016 09:19AM

dolphin Wrote:
> samsam3738 Wrote:
> -----
> > Like ive said.....NO MORE EXCUSES FOR
> TANNEHILL.
>
>
> wasn't that said last year too?

Yes...yes it was...but Philbin took the blame to save Tanny.

Date: August 19, 2016 05:03PM

Guess who is proving me right........again. How did Dion Jordon work out? eye rolling smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.