Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Could we draft a QB in the first round in 2016?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Could we draft a QB in the first round in 2016?
Posted by: Mike8272 ()
Date: March 23, 2016 11:53AM

Northeast Fin Fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A good QB makes everyone around him better. He
> doesn't get a pass when the entire offense
> performs below par.
>
> The Packers offense was in terrible shape last
> year. The o-line was decimated by injuries all
> year, Lacy was borderline morbidly obese, Nelson
> was hurt, Cobb struggled without Nelson, etc.
> Assuming two equal QBs, the overall offensive
> situation was much worse in GB than in Miami last
> year. However, the QB situation was not equal.
> GB went 10-6, won a playoff game and lost in the
> divisional round in OT. Not a bad year for a team
> decimated by injuries. That's what a winning QB
> can do.

Rodgers is a future hall of fame quarterback. One of those special quarterbacks that come along. That calibre of quarterback is not easy to find. If they were, everyone would have one. Sadly most teams end up with average quarterbacks, while the minority have borderline elite or elite quarterbacks. It would be nice if we could get a guy like Rodgers that elevates everyone around him, but for that to happen we would need to be lucky next time we draft a quarterback.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: March 24, 2016 04:43AM

True, Rodgers is an a one of the best and a surefire HOF QB; but the reality is that most Super Bowls in this era are won by HOF QBs. The NFL has been dominated by great QBs for a long time. You can go back to the late 1980's and only find a handful of SB-winning QBs that are not in the HOF, and most that aren't in the HOF are still playing. My point is that if we don't have a QB that is at least very good for our era then it's unlikely we will win a SB.

Also, there were other teams that were elevated by their QBs last year: Pats (another HOF QB ), Panthers, Jets, Steelers, Redskins.

On the flip side, look at the Cowboys. Their 2015 season demonstrates how important it is to have a very good to great QB.

My point is that a winning QB elevates his team.

As I side point, I was very disappointed at losing 4 good, young, healthy players (Vernon, Miller, Matthews and Shelby), but many have commented that we were 6-10 with those guys so losing them won't hurt us much. But let's remember, QB is by far the most important position on the field, and we were 6-10 with this QB. He has to bear some of the responsibility for another lousy season. He can't get a free pass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2016 05:13AM by Northeast Fin Fan.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 24, 2016 05:51AM

quote: My point is that a winning QB elevates his team.

Exactly...>>And we do not have a winning qb.

Date: March 24, 2016 06:29AM

Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: March 24, 2016 07:07AM

You're right Mike, most of those QBs are elite; but that's the point. If you want to win in today's NFL you need an elite QB. Elite QBs make a difference.

I agree, Fitzpatrick was in a great situation for a QB.

Now Cousins may never duplicate what he did last season; but he's the same age as Tannehill and he gave his team something to believe in during his age 27 season. Also, it would be hard to say that he had a better supporting cast than Tannehill did last year. But your comment was interesting and supports what I have been saying: "If he hadn't fired in the second half of the season the Redskins would be looking for a new quarterback". Precisely right. The Dolphins need to apply that advice.

Date: March 24, 2016 02:06PM

True, the Dolphins could look at a new QB because Tannehill hasn't led this team to the play offs or a winning season. But he's shown enough over the past four seasons to be given another chance, probably his final chance here, under someone that has had a lot of success as a OC using different systems with different calibers of QB. Plus, unlike Cousins, Tannehill already has his extension which would mean we'd have to take a cap hit to move on from him at this stage.

I wouldn't be against drafting a QB on day three like Connor Cook, Christian Hackenberg, Cardele Jones etc, because they would be guys we could sit and develop on the bench. If Tannehill takes his chance, we could have a trade chip via the prospect we've draft. If Tannehill doesn't take his chance we might have his successor on the roster. But I wouldn't be looking at the first or second round because we need to land starters for this team via those two draft picks. The only thing that could make me change my mind is if Goff or Wentz are available at #13, then it would be a difficult choice to pass on them...

Posted by: Phins5.0 ()
Date: March 24, 2016 06:13PM

Cousins was a top collegiate QB who dropped due to various reasons his senior year, he's almost exactly like Cook. (Same school, too) I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Cook duplicate the situation of Cousins and give some team a difficult choice to make when his rookie contract is up.

We aren't drafting a QB in this draft, Gase has made it clear that his entire career with the Dolphins is based upon Tannehill's success. Of course, he admittedly made that gamble before even watching any game film of Tannehill so that tells you how eager he was to get the job.

I guess when you're that young, you're either that cocksure or you realize that the worst that happens is you get 3 years of HC experience before going back to the O/Cor ranks for a couple more years and getting another shot.

Stepping stone? The Dolphins? Not the Dolphins!

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: March 28, 2016 06:50AM

Does anyone really believe that Gase took the Miami job over Eli Manning and the Giants by not watching any game film?

He also saw him up close when RT put a 105 QBR in the mile high meltdown that exposed our top 5 defense to the rest of the NFL. Tannehill threw for 3 TD's and ran for another TD that game.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: March 29, 2016 06:43AM

need to draft Kevin Hogan in later rounds

Posted by: thegreathoo ()
Date: March 31, 2016 03:30PM

I agree. I like Hogan a lot. I also like Brandon Allen, and Nate Sudfeld.

I'm cooling off on Lynch, not interested any longer.

But all of those QBs have deficiencies similar to Tannehill, to a lesser or greater extent.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: April 01, 2016 01:23AM

If Elliott is somehow there at 13 there should be a lot of trade partners available.

Pick up an extra 2nd and take Hackenberg with that extra pick.

If not I've said Sudfeld in the 4th since mid season.

Posted by: thegreathoo ()
Date: April 02, 2016 12:22PM

Cook at 13, maybe.

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: April 02, 2016 01:19PM

What ARE you smoking today? Puff puff pass please.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.