Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          It wasn't Campbell's fault- No, it wasn't.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
It wasn't Campbell's fault- No, it wasn't.
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: November 08, 2015 12:00PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: It wasn't Campbell's fault- No, it wasn't.
Posted by: OCphin ()
Date: November 08, 2015 12:05PM

He's over his head. May be a good position coach, or OC someday, but not a HC any time soon.

Date: November 08, 2015 12:11PM

What makes you say that? I'm not sure whether I disagree or not, I just know that this game wasn't his fault. And, no, I didn't vote- I'm ambivalent at this point, I want to know what others think.

Rick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2015 12:14PM by dolphan4545.

Posted by: KB ()
Date: November 08, 2015 12:20PM

Campbell brought fire and motivation to a team lacking in the same. Sadly that's no substitute for talent and even more sadly, all the tough talk and fiery speeches in the world don't keep players motivated when they keep losing.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: November 08, 2015 12:35PM

Oh, we keep him without a doubt. Couldn't figure out not taking the FG from the 2 yard line but risking losing the points with 2 seconds left on the half time clock but the main thing I saw today was that we were simply outperformed, particularly our defense against their offense.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: November 08, 2015 12:36PM

Rick, I like Campbell a lot. His relationship with players seems to be strong and they are energized. Yet, he's learning to be the HC just like Cam Cameron, Sparano, and Philbin. On-the-job training is how most of us learn that tough new position. Some catch on faster than others learning something new everyday. Others learn way to slow and some never quite get it at all.

I have to side with those who believe we need a veteran HC. That person should be everything Campbell is to his players plus know the ins and outs of the NFL game. That person needs to possess great judgment on talent and be able to "train" players to execute against every opponent. No college coaches need apply.

It is very likely that Dan Campbell will get his shot to work as HC now but in the off season coming up, he will lose his position when another person is hired to be our newest HC. Campbell might stay on, however, I suspect he will lose his employment with the Dolphins. I won't be surprised about that happening.

I am also quite certain that Steven Ross should put the team up for sale and cut his losses so we can possibly get an owner with more savvy who will hire first rate executives to run the business and playing end of the team. The one's in position don't cut it my opinion. Too much of the same each season tells me that.

Date: November 08, 2015 12:38PM

what's your critique of Todd Bowles, Colonel?

Posted by: KB ()
Date: November 08, 2015 12:47PM

colonel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
... I am also quite certain that Steven Ross should
> put the team up for sale and cut his losses so we
> can possibly get an owner with more savvy who will
> hire first rate executives to run the business and
> playing end of the team. The one's in position
> don't cut it my opinion. Too much of the same
> each season tells me that.

Spot on there. Sadly that is the root of the problem IMO.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: November 08, 2015 12:54PM

Right now my vote is fire him at the end of the season. He is not ready to go up against the veteran coaches in the league. We need more.

Date: November 08, 2015 01:09PM

ChyrenB--Todd Bowles is doing a credible job as the Jets HC. From the games that I've seen, I like what he has done. We could have offered him the HC job had we not extended Philbin's contract for 2015. Another suspect business decision by Ross.

Dan Campbell is the kind of guy I like to see running things. But this team is floundering badly and it makes better business sense to bring in a seasoned, a proven HC, to right this ship, who can bring in proven assistants to help him. We'll see what happens during the first quarter of 2016. All of this is in Ross' wheelhouse again.

We fans are at the mercy of ownership. All of us want to support a team that is competitive with the talent and coaching that will take us into the playoffs and potentially the SB. As long as Ross owns the business--I can't imagine that happening.

Date: November 08, 2015 04:28PM

Well, I agree with you about Ross. I just feel that if we let Campbell go, we will be again letting go a Todd Bowles and run the risk of picking up another Philbin.

Date: November 08, 2015 06:17PM

"Dan Campbell is the kind of guy I like to see running things. But this team is floundering badly and it makes better business sense to bring in a seasoned, a proven HC, to right this ship, who can bring in proven assistants to help him. We'll see what happens during the first quarter of 2016. All of this is in Ross' wheelhouse again."

I understand why you say that, but I have ZERO confidence that this front office can succeed at this. Besides, I don't see any worthy candidates available.

Rick

Date: November 09, 2015 02:33AM

The difficulty I see with replacing Dan Campbell post-season is finding a worthy replacement and not another Cam Cameron, Sparano or Philbin. That's the $64,0000 question: WHO?

Names that came to mind are really not in the HC picture because of their current "cushy" jobs, or their up and down history as a previous HC or they are fully retired because of their age (too old).

When you look at various NFL coaching trees, where this person worked for that guy etc...you see the field is pretty limited. The really talented guys don't jump out.

With the field limited--it's hard to imagine that the Dolphins could "steal" away a successful HC from another team without violating contractual or some NFL rule.

Would it make sense to give Dave Wannstadt another shot at running the Dolphins? Probably not. What about Brian Billick? He took the Ravens to the SB and won, but had a number of average years afterwards. Eric Mangini? His credentials as former HC are no better than Sparano's. Mike Smith? Average results. We need better.

I certainly feel the Ross ownership is between a "rock and a hard place." No matter what they attempt to do, it is likely to be a bust. They have the knack for coming up short, don't they.

You just have to shake your head over this predicament. We appear to be stuck in la-la land.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: November 09, 2015 03:06AM

I'd promote a guy like Josh McDaniels (if we could get him) or bring in Sean Payton (If available, because he's the best of the seasoned guy's) then keep Dan Campbell as the assiatant Head Coach so he can learn by doing and be the heir apparent. Problem is there isn't alot out there that I would really want. I would also try make a run at Gruden but I don't think there is any way we could get him out of the booth.

The rest of the coaching staff would be up to thier discression...the only guy that I wouldn't immediately look to upgrade / replace would be Rizzi.

As the owner I'd demand one thing and one thing only...a hurry up offense 100% of the time...no more than 2.5 seconds from snap to throw.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: November 09, 2015 03:12AM

There are good OCs and DCs out there. The front office just needs to do their homework and pick the right one. Ross recently said that he did not hire Bowles because 'he could not sell him to the fan base'. That's a lack of heart and guts, that's just the problem w/ this team.

There are guys out there.

Shula is ready 8-0, great job managing Newton. 10 years ago I wanted nothing to do w/ Shula but now he is ready imo.

I still like Seattle OC Bevell.

Always thought Marc Tresmann had a good offensive mind but he has taken hits in CHI (nut cases) and Bmore (injuries).

Seattle OL/asst HC coach Cable is a tough guy like Campbell w/ previous HC experience. After 3+ years under Carrol he should be ready again.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: November 09, 2015 05:33AM

mizzou15 Wrote:

>
> Shula is ready 8-0, great job managing Newton. 10
> years ago I wanted nothing to do w/ Shula but now
> he is ready imo.
>

Oh yeah? Well, 40 (ish) years ago I wanted nothing to do with Mike Shula because I played against him in little league football and I didn't think he was so great!

Ok ok, the truth is I was just jealous that my team's cheerleaders did nothing but squeal and giggle about him the entire game.

YES bring on Mike Shula!

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: November 09, 2015 12:13PM

Fire Campbell?

That isn't going to happen.

He is going to be the Interim HC till the end of the season, when Ross will begin his hunt for the new HC of the Miami Dolphins.

I like Campbell and was hoping he could bring the team out of its stupor, but the last two games have shown me it isn't going to happen. Not because of him, but this team just doesn't have enough talent and he (and the coaching staff) is unable to do much with what is available.

That's where an experienced and tough (ala Shula) HC comes into play. If that coach can't light a fire under these guy' butts, then they will be looking for employment elsewhere. The Dolphins were a sad sack team when Shula first took over. He drafted players, brought in guys off the street, and melded them with players already on the roster, and they immediately won ten games and were in the playoffs.

Miami has some talent on this year's team; someone has to get them to play up to that level. Campbell has not been successful, thus far.

It doesn't look good for Campbell at the moment, but if he somehow gets this team winning, then Ross will have to look at Dan as Miami's next HC, but if I were Ross, I would still be looking for "that guy" to run this team.

As someone else said, Campbell was handed a shitty hand. He has no control over who is on the roster; he is there to try to do something with what he has. If he is given the job and has full control, will he be able to straighten things out? It's possible, but as of right now...

Date: November 09, 2015 01:13PM

I'm sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I didn't mean now, but at the end of the season. I agree, no chance of Campbell going anywhere 'til then.

I think it's clear that the same sort of shake-up that Shula precipitated is what this team needs, a draft and a few free agents aren't going to do it. The problem is, are there any HC candidates out there that can or will do it? I think Campbell may be one. I guess we'll see. As far as Ross is concerned, he allows the HC to get the people he needs, and is willing to pay for it. That's more than Joe Robbie wanted to do, but he did want to win, so Shula was able to do what he wanted in spite of Robbie. Ross is a far more respectable gentleman than Robbie ever was, so with the right HC, it's possible it could happen again. The HC is the key. WE can only hope.

Rick

Posted by: OCphin ()
Date: November 09, 2015 06:10PM

I still have the end of the 1st half stuck in my craw, and I'm not sure what a craw is, but it's stuck there!

From the time management bungle, to allowing a pass play call w 2 secs left, was a stretch of ineptitude that echoed visions of Tony "The Stash" Sparano.

Sorry, but Campbell lacks the sophistication of an experienced strategist. He's been pantsed 2 weeks in a row by coaches of division rivals...and in crunch time, he flinches still.
Believe me, he's not ready. We need to move on and clean house.

Date: November 10, 2015 03:14AM

OCphin Wrote:
> allowing a
> pass play call w 2 secs left,

You're implying that Campbell calls the plays, or approves the plays being called on offense. Is that the case? I thought Lazor made the play calls (and he's the one who should be bounced, by the way).

Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: November 10, 2015 02:22PM

Campbell may not call every play, but in the most critical situations, he should have input. "Run it" is what Campbell needs to demand in that moment since he's the only other one authorized to make that decision.

The post game interview intimated that he was on board with the pass call.
Just curious...did he not see the last play of the Super Bowl just played?!

Same exact scenario(so to speak) and Campbell went Pete Carrol on us.

A very winnable game that the coaching staff got in the way of. Maybe not totally in the way, but enough to tip the scale.

Posted by: Damn-U-Kong-93 ()
Date: November 10, 2015 10:43PM

He was a Tight End. He must know how to coach.

KNick637

Posted by: FootballGod ()
Date: November 11, 2015 02:05AM

Gotta love smart asses.

Anyway, Campbell isn't going to be the coach after the end of this season. He had to make the playoffs to pull that off. And anyone hoping Ross is going to sell the team, just give over. He's too addicted to the power and attention owning a team brings. All you have to do is look at his relationships with the celebrities he has brought around the facilities.

Date: November 11, 2015 06:45AM

Damn-U-Kong-93 Wrote:
> He was a Tight End. He must know how to coach.

True.

Mike Ditka was a Tight End (who caught a TD pass against the Dolphins in SB VI). He then went on to coach the Bears to a Super Bowl Championship.

So indeed, former Tight Ends have proven to be capable NFL coaches. Good point.

Date: November 15, 2015 07:08AM

"Just curious...did he not see the last play of the Super Bowl just played?!"

What does that have to do with anything?

Rick

Posted by: SouthFlPhinFan ()
Date: November 15, 2015 08:42AM

Keep him, just not as the head Coach... Has a lot to learn...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.