HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          New O-line
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
New O-line
Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: May 18, 2015 05:34AM

We have almost done a complete makeover in two years. Even the depth players have been replaced.

Starters

Branden Albert, Mike Pouncey, Billy Turner, Ja'Wuan James

backups or fighting for 3 or 4 spots .....

Jamil Douglas
Dallas Thomas
Sam Brenner (2014 UDFA)
Mickey Baucus (2015 UDFA) LT, Arizona, 6'7 309
Dionte Savage (2015 UDFA) OG, Okla, 6'4 335 (was 430 lbs)
Michael Liedtke (2015 UDFA) OG, Ill St, 6'3 301
Audrey Walker (2015 UDFA) OG, USC, 6'4 295
JD Walton (2015 FA)
Jeff Linkebach (2015 FA)
Jason Fox (2014 FA)
Jacques McClendon (2015 FA)

Lots of new competition...Who will stand out?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New O-line
Date: May 22, 2015 05:04AM

As we know, the Jets drafted DT, Leonard Williams this year.

Ironically, Jamil Douglas had several match-ups against Williams while at ASU. His o-line coach said Douglas had a great game against LW in a 2013 62-41 win against USC AND a 38-34 win in 2014.

Date: June 16, 2015 03:05PM

Omar Kelly
?
@OmarKelly

"@fabio_torres: Some guys in Dallas are thinking Lamar Miller is available via trade. Is any truth to it?"ยป highly doubt it. No merit to it

Trade for LG, Ronald Leary? Would ya?

He was the 17th ranked guard in the league in 15 games last year. Replaced by Collins likely when Free gets back.\

Not sure I would do it. I think Miller explodes this year.

Date: July 08, 2015 09:44AM

Date: August 10, 2015 02:23AM

Due to struggles & injuries, Jacques McClendon got reps at RG with the first team. Philbin said he looked stout and did not get pushed back (by Suh). That's the most praise I've heard about any guard thus far in camp. JM is a bit bigger than the the rest of the guards at 6'3 335. he's about 10-20 lbs heavier than the rest.

Sure would be nice for someone to break out.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: August 10, 2015 04:50AM

The OL is still a huge mess.

No Guards, and not sure if & when Albert will be healthy.

Phins need a guarantee. The only guarantee out there is Evan Mathis.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: August 10, 2015 05:15AM

From what I have read, the LG position has been decent lately with Jamil Douglas... So the main issue is the RG position... Evan Mathis is a probowl left guard.... So it doesnt make a lot of sense to pay Mathis that type of money to be a RG... WHich would be out of position for him and a huge dollar amount for a RG...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: August 10, 2015 05:45AM

LG has been decent lately? Last I heard they were all still struggling. Thomas, Douglas and Turner. 4 sacks and several pressures during the scrimmage and the LG doesn't even have to block Suh. They are on Mitchell and the other rotational guys.

Date: August 10, 2015 06:57AM

There have been lots of positive tweets from many different journalist about Jamil Douglas regarding playing the LG positions in the last 10 days or so... Just type his name in twitter if you want to see them. Or google recent articles with his name... Much more positive then negative...

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: August 10, 2015 07:21AM

I've been reading the same thing as Crowder, Douglas hasn't looked all that bad. Also, I thought Turner was a sure thing?

Posted by: cshashaty ()
Date: August 10, 2015 09:04AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Among the feedback we've heard from Dolphins
> players: There's definitely concern about the
> situation at guard, where nobody has seized a
> position - PFT
>
> This along with RUMORS that Tannehill was lobbying
> the front office to sign Evan Mathis makes you
> wonder....

I think we will know a lot more about the OGs after Thursday's game. Fact is, not many OGs are going to look good blocking Suh.

That being said, I do believe a Mathis deal is forthcoming IF (BIG IF) both sides can come to financial terms.

Date: August 10, 2015 09:28AM

McClendon has been running with 1st team at RG all day. I heard Douglas was doing ok in the run game but struggling in pass pro.

Date: August 10, 2015 01:24PM

Date: August 10, 2015 02:38PM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> I focused exclusively on McClendon in one
> helmet-to-helmet snap against Ndamukong Suh and it
> was unremarkable in that Suh did not beat the
> lineman, make him look silly, or make him cry.
> McClendon stood Suh up to a stalemate.

Nice, we need to hear more of that type of stuff from the guys fighting for the position...

Nietzsche

Date: August 11, 2015 05:37AM

Updates on all linemen (based on reports)...

Left Tackle

Branden Albert: Listed as first team and doing 1/2 speed walk through type training. Seems to be on track for week 1 return.

Jason Fox: Listed as 2nd team but also banged up and held out of scrimmage. Back at practice but may be struggling a bit. The next player listed has been taking his place as #2 LT.

Jeff Linkenbach: This guy has been all over the place on the line. LG, RG, RT & now at LT. May be a good addition due to versatility and experience. Probably the top FA lineman we have...

Aundrey Walker & Donald Hawkins: Not much of a chance to make 53. Coaches took a look at Hawkins as LT starter in scrimmage. Seems to be back at #2 RT.

Left Guard

Dallas Thomas: Believe it or not, he is the still listed as the starter and will likely go into season as the starter. Still struggling and battling with next player for 1st team reps.

Jamil Douglas: Looks good in run game and struggling in pass pro. Coach are taking a long look at him but likely will not want to go into season with a rookie starter. He is close to taking the job from Thomas, who will be on a short leash even if he does start the season.

Center:

Mike Pouncey: locked in! There was talk about a move back to RG but I hope like hell that does not happen. With the look of the backup center options, a switch is doubtful. Coaches are still struggling to find an adequate starter to back Pouncey up at center.

JD Walton: Struggling and often getting blown off the line.

Sam Brenner: Still can't snap the ball and has not built off a decent rookie start in 2014.

These guys have been so unimpressive that the next guy on the list has been getting work at center....

Right Guard

Jacques McClendon: Has been stout at RG but is limited in athleticism. Coaches are giving Turner every chance in the world to take the job and he hasn't impressed. Currently listed as #4 center.

Billy Turner: Has a ridiculously tough assignment in practice but hasn't even flashed against other tackles not named Suh. In a battle for the starting spot.

Linkenbach is listed as the #2 RG.

Right Tackle

Ja'Waun James: Lines most impressive player thus far. Seems to be building on a strong start to last year at RT. Excellent run blocker that drastically improves our run game.

I like the job Hickeybaum has done overall but I don't think they could find a quality guard in Canton, Ohio.

Thursday game will tell a lot about our guards and I see a FA signing on the horizon. I just hope it isn't a center while they dick around and move Pouncey. (Chris Meyers, Satele, etc)

We kept 9 o-lineman last year and thus far these are the top 9....

1 Albert
2 Pouncey
3 James
4 Douglas
5 Thomas
6 Turner
7 Linkenbach
8 Fox
9 McClendon

That leaves us with few options for a backup center unless they decide McC can handle it. He does have some experience there.

There are some available guards out there....

Mike Pollak: graded out pretty well last year for Cincy, is 3 years younger than Mathis and a lot cheaper.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2015 05:41AM by JoeFootball.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: August 11, 2015 05:46AM

Thanks for the update Joe.

I was bummed to read that about Brenner...I remember him getting thrown into the lineup as a rookie and holding his own, so I've been rooting for him to do well. Hopefully he pulls it together and makes the cut.

Date: August 11, 2015 07:24AM

He is running with 1st team special team squad as a blocker so he has a good shot from what I hear.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: August 11, 2015 08:17AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> He is running with 1st team special team squad as
> a blocker so he has a good shot from what I hear.

Good! Go Sam!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.