Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          I'm a little disapointed in the Phins today.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
I'm a little disapointed in the Phins today.
Date: May 09, 2015 09:41AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I'm a little disapointed in the Phins today.
Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: May 09, 2015 10:49AM

Im not a veteran but I have no problem w/ this. If the DOD thinks its worthy to assist the NFL in honoring veterans and troops Im for it. There are expenses incurred in most efforts and this a worthy one. The amount is minimal considering. If you could see the amount that some red blooded Americans cheat the DOD w/ defense contracts, purchasing and procurement you would be shock. This money sent to the nfl is pennies.

Don't let this allow your apple pie to get cold or sell off that chevy.

Date: May 09, 2015 12:57PM

Nope, I love my Chevy. But I would think any NFL team would honor the Men and women of the Military for Free. Expenses? To say a few words and throw them up on the Jumbotron? really? I'm never going to look at the dedications the same again.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: May 09, 2015 06:10PM

whatever dude. you know what the military budget is? some trillions of dollars. I am sure if the DOD wants to pay the NFL to be a recruiting platform they can handle it.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: May 09, 2015 06:53PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> whatever dude. you know what the military budget
> is? some trillions of dollars. I am sure if the
> DOD wants to pay the NFL to be a recruiting
> platform they can handle it.

yeah, and I think those guys/gals should be honored for their service, but when the DOD has to pay teams to do it its kinda like the guy who sponsors the little league team have his nonathletic kid play SS ...isn't it?

Date: May 09, 2015 07:45PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> whatever dude. you know what the military budget
> is? some trillions of dollars. I am sure if the
> DOD wants to pay the NFL to be a recruiting
> platform they can handle it.

Sure. But why do Billionaire teams need to take the money? the point I'm making is I , everyone in that stadium thought they were doing it out of honor and respect not a check. I thought it was a cool thing to do. It gave me goose bumps sometimes. WTF does Mr Ross or the Dolphins need $20,000 of DOD money? The whole premise is just wrong to me. Whats next? Will the Dolphins take a cut of other team charities they sponsor? They served 1 Million meals to people in need in Miami. That was awesome. The Phins do a lot for the community. Why should honoring soldiers be any different?

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2015 07:45PM by TreasurecoastPhinsfan.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: May 10, 2015 01:57AM

Treasure....I agree with you. The DOD should not pay, nor should the teams expect payment to do things that are patriotic. The stadiums fly the flag, play the Star Spangled Banner...honoring our service members who defend the country and who serve to preserve our freedoms are all in the same context--no need for payments to or from anyone.

Colonel

Date: May 10, 2015 02:03AM

I don't disagree it's cheesy to accept the money

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: May 10, 2015 03:31AM

Date: May 10, 2015 08:53AM

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: May 10, 2015 08:57AM

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: May 10, 2015 03:25PM

No, if it comes off as supporting our troops then it should really be an altruistic act, not one that the government, thus we as taxpayers, are paying for.

Another thing, as the article implies, when we see these things, we get all choked up and good feeling and It NATURALLY FOLLOWS, we think of what a good organization the team is and how we are right to support this sport which is supporting our boys.

But these (NFL owners) chicken-sh*t SOBs are extracting money for it from US (both United States and we) THE TAXPAYERS and coming off looking good because we all ASSUME that they are allotting the time to the military/vets for free.

Meanwhile they, the NFL owners, have an anti-trust exemption. That allows them to do, in short, a lot of crap that regular corporations cannot do.

Then, the gall of it is that they, the NFL owners, TURN RIGHT AROUND AND grant anti-trust exemptions of their own TO DIRECTV to broadcast their games (which is something I have a legal problem with) and promise DIRECTV that it WON'T have to compete with Time-Warner, or Charter, or ComCast for the right to broadcast those games.

and then they demand money ????? of the same government to put on a demonstration that they, the NFL teams, end up getting all the love for?????????????

Sheesh.

I have ten times more respect for Donald Sterling and his wife, Shelly, (and his lover).

Date: May 10, 2015 06:41PM

Good Point Chyrene! I forgot completely about the Tax exempt status that the NFL enjoys. They really are triple dipping. They take money from us at the game. They take our tax money for the Soldiers, and then they withhold tax revenue. What a crock of shit. thumbs downangry smiley Then they pull our heart strings as we watch what we all thought was a patriotic display of good will for soldiers. Again......It seems Miami is way under the wire at only $20,000. That's got to be an oversight or something, because these soldiers are at every game.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: May 11, 2015 01:46AM

Date: May 11, 2015 03:43AM

The practice of receiving money for what appears to be a patriotic event, is deceptive.

Since the US military is a volunteer service, recruiting is a necessary thing to fill the ranks and the needs of each branch of service. The deception here is that it is falsely presented as a patriotic endeavor. It is misleading.

When we see commercials on TV "Army Strong" or those involving the "few the proud" its not being taken as anything but a recruiting effort for those branches of the military.

The Navy, for example, spends a fortune in Pensacola with their US Naval Aviation museum. There is no charge for admission. Millions and millions of dollars have been spent creating the museum, restoring aircraft and maintenance of the facility. It is a spectacular place. It is part of their effort to build and maintain an astounding record and reputation with former and current service members and the public. Fleet Week at many American ports is the same effort. Millions are spent to keep the public informed on what the Navy and it's personnel do every day to protect our shores.

The bottom line is the deception. There is no deception on what the services do. What the NFL and teams have done, appears to be misleading. They have mis-marketed their "patriotic events." That, rubs me the wrong way, not that the DOD or service branches pay with funds from taxes collected from taxpayers.

"Hey everybody, look at us, we are honoring the US military" (they greased our palm and we're going to pass it off to the public as a patriotic love of our country, the fans will love it.)

I'm waiting to see how much money these NFL franchises spent out of their own money to support our services on these events. I don't think that will happen....

++++++++
"In cooperation with our US military, the XXX team presents Military Appreciation Day." With that said, we dutifully honor the man and women who serve our country, to protect it and our way of life. Please rise with the XXXX drill team and the posting of the colors."

Date: May 11, 2015 04:38AM

I guess my point is, how do we know how much money was spent on honoring vets on gameday (if any at all?) and how much was spent on advertising and other things?

So far all I've found is a Republican US Senator from AZ laid the claim that that's what the money was spent on and a web-site called NJ.com picked up on it and ran a story, all other stories appear to be quoting the NJ.com story, not to turn this into a political debate, but a republican bashing something going on with regards to government spending while a Democrat is in the White House is hardly earth shattering evidence (and vice/versa as well). Like I said, I think there's more to this story than meets the eye.

Date: May 11, 2015 05:14AM

The DOD and military branches are supposed to be apolitical. Having worked in the Pentagon, there's an enormous amount of civilian pressure placed on all the services. Remember that each Secretary is appointed by the administration. Bureaucrats that hold many high and mid level management positions simply go with the flow. Flag officers in the various branches, typically have to bite their tongues and salute smartly, but grumble among themselves and their confidants. This is true whether a democratic or republican administration is in place.

What remains strong and without much political input is the expenditure of money to recruit personnel. The military is an up or out arrangement. New recruits must come in each year to cover, retirements (longevity or medical) attrition from casualties, and the discharge of members following their decision to separate. Since we remain a voluntary outfit, spending money to attract and recruit personnel is a must. Presenting the best image, the most hopeful one as well, has always existed even when the draft existed.

I can only hope that people see it in their minds and hearts to respect all the service members. The NFL, the franchises, simply need to be honest with what they do. If they can do that, there would be no reason for anyone with good sense to throw stones on the motives of the military or the teams. Tell it like it is--we can handle the truth.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: May 11, 2015 05:35AM

Date: May 11, 2015 05:41AM

colonel Wrote:
> The DOD and military branches are supposed to be
> apolitical. Having worked in the Pentagon,
> there's an enormous amount of civilian pressure
> placed on all the services. Remember that each
> Secretary is appointed by the administration.
> Bureaucrats that hold many high and mid level
> management positions simply go with the flow.
> Flag officers in the various branches, typically
> have to bite their tongues and salute smartly, but
> grumble among themselves and their confidants.
> This is true whether a democratic or republican
> administration is in place.
>
> What remains strong and without much political
> input is the expenditure of money to recruit
> personnel. The military is an up or out
> arrangement. New recruits must come in each year
> to cover, retirements (longevity or medical)
> attrition from casualties, and the discharge of
> members following their decision to separate.
> Since we remain a voluntary outfit, spending money
> to attract and recruit personnel is a must.
> Presenting the best image, the most hopeful one as
> well, has always existed even when the draft
> existed.
>
> I can only hope that people see it in their minds
> and hearts to respect all the service members.
> The NFL, the franchises, simply need to be honest
> with what they do. If they can do that, there
> would be no reason for anyone with good sense to
> throw stones on the motives of the military or the
> teams. Tell it like it is--we can handle the
> truth.

All very true Colonel, but your post does nothing for the discussion at hand, the NJ.com article and subsequently Treasures post makes it sound like certain NFL franchises (our beloved Dolphins included) are taking a fee to "honor" veterans, I'm simply saying that yes some franchises are taking money from the DOD, but for what? At the risk of a PR black eye, I doubt an image conscious owner (or any multi millionaire owner really) like Steven Ross would invoice the DOD a measly 20K over 2 or 3 years for the privilege to honor veterans for their service. Maybe i'm 100% wrong, but I still think there's more to this story.

Date: May 11, 2015 06:14AM

Dolph- I seriously doubt money is being charged to honor servicemen at football games... Just like they arent charging the school board of Broward or Dade county to honor the students of the week during the quarter or halftime breaks... I would almost guarantee the Military money is being spent on advertisement....

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: May 11, 2015 07:08AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> Dolph- I seriously doubt money is being charged to
> honor servicemen at football games... Just like
> they arent charging the school board of Broward or
> Dade county to honor the students of the week
> during the quarter or halftime breaks... I would
> almost guarantee the Military money is being spent
> on advertisement....

Eggggggggactly my good friend, that's all i'm trying to say also

Date: May 11, 2015 10:03AM

dolphaholic Wrote:

> All very true Colonel, but your post does nothing
> for the discussion at hand, the NJ.com article and
> subsequently Treasures post makes it sound like
> certain NFL franchises (our beloved Dolphins
> included) are taking a fee to "honor" veterans,
> I'm simply saying that yes some franchises are
> taking money from the DOD, but for what? At the
> risk of a PR black eye, I doubt an image conscious
> owner (or any multi millionaire owner really) like
> Steven Ross would invoice the DOD a measly 20K
> over 2 or 3 years for the privilege to honor
> veterans for their service. Maybe i'm 100% wrong,
> but I still think there's more to this story.

RESPONSE: What is your theory of what "there's more to the story" there could possibly be? Whether measly, like the Dolphins, or high like other teams, the fact remains that we all thought that the DOD was not being charged anything for these things. Now we find out they are.

So if there's any type of other fact that could put it in a different light, I'd like to hear it.

Speculation is welcome......because I can't possibly imagine what would put it in a different light. I mean if wealthy organizations like the NFL can't make this one type of charitable contributions.....

Date: May 11, 2015 10:38AM

I didn't infer anything except that the dozens of times I see a veteran honored
I figured it was coming from a different place. That's all. I'll look at it a bit different now is all.

I agree and stated several times , no way the Dolphins would bill $20 000 for the amount of tributes I've wittnesed.must be more to that. But the other teams I'm a bit disgusted with.

Time to state publicly it's funded before anyone is honored if that's the case. I want to know.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: May 11, 2015 11:38AM

When I see a more credible source or solid proof that that's what the DOD was actually paying for (the honoring of the vets on game day that is) and not advertising or promotions, then I'll get excited, until then it's my opinion that this is much ado about nothing. Clear enough?

Date: May 11, 2015 12:18PM

Date: May 11, 2015 01:48PM

Date: May 11, 2015 02:42PM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> When I see a more credible source or solid proof
> that that's what the DOD was actually paying for
> (the honoring of the vets on game day that is) and
> not advertising or promotions, then I'll get
> excited, until then it's my opinion that this is
> much ado about nothing. Clear enough?

I have a creditable that states otherwise. I get what your saying, but no one has said anything from any team to contradict anything. I don't like any monies going to the teams from the military. why can't the teams give advertising space? I don't remember seeing much or any at the stadium?

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: May 11, 2015 02:51PM

So, Crowder, what you are saying basically is that the story is not true.

Date: May 11, 2015 04:09PM

Date: May 11, 2015 04:39PM

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.