HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          2015 Linebackers
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 2015 Linebackers
Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: July 27, 2015 05:29AM

i phrased that poorly.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: July 31, 2015 05:39AM

Tom Ernisse ?@ternisse13 3m3 minutes ago
Kelvin Sheppard getting TONS of reps as starting MLB @DolphinsTalk

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: August 04, 2015 02:57AM

So far the word is that the coaches want to get a look at Sheppard as the MLB. Misi has moved back outside (on occasion) to the strong side with Jenkins remaining at WLB. This is being done to get the best combination on the field to start the season.

The knock thus far on Sheppard at MLB has been his coverage skills. He is basically a two-down LB. Not good in coverage. This is the part that doesn't make much sense. That pretty much describes the SLB spot. The SLB typically has left the field on passing downs while a DB is substituted in the defense in the nickle package. The SLB typically gets about half the snaps as the other two LB spots. Why not just let him compete at SLB with McCain and also operate as the backup MLB?

Last year Misi and Jenkins were the nickle LB's. Jordan Tripp was tried out there in the 2014 pre-season but that never progressed after he got injured.

I think they could still use a base package with either....

SLB Misi, MLB Sheppard, WLB Jenkins or...
SLB McCain, MLB Misi, WLB Jenkins with....

Tripp and Jenkins as the nickle LB'ers. That would mean the base MLB and SLB would both leave the field.

Chris McCain has been pulling double duty at SLB and DL. He could slide to the DL in the speed package in this lineup....

SDE Wake, DT Suh, DT McCain, DE Vernon

I think that all depends if McCain can step into Dion Jordan's spot in that package and provide a better pass rush from the interior than Fede or Shelby. That remains to be seen. He is a little light to be inside IMO.

The word by many is this LB unit is the most talented we have had since Philbin got here. That a bit of a relief when you consider Dansby and Burnett were here in 2012.

Jenkins said all the new UFA's "can run".

Vigil, Hull and Tripp have all gotten more snaps with the top units.

Lots more contact to come in camp. Can't wait to see how this shakes out.

Date: August 06, 2015 07:20AM

Well, Misi is banged up already. Not sure he can handle the 900 snaps a MLB gets. Maybe 550 snaps that the SLB is on the field. Worried about Sheppard in coverage though.

Posted by: thegreathoo ()
Date: August 06, 2015 12:16PM

I am not buying the propaganda coming out of camp. In my opinion this unit is not improved over last year's. The starters are from last year, and depth is mainly rookies. The improvement maybe be they are getting better, but that fact is not proven.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: August 06, 2015 12:56PM

thegreathoo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am not buying the propaganda coming out of camp.
> In my opinion this unit is not improved over last
> year's. The starters are from last year, and
> depth is mainly rookies. The improvement maybe be
> they are getting better, but that fact is not
> proven.

They are going to be much improved strictly based on Suh clogging up the middle with run defense and inside pass rush... That alone could take a scrub crew and make them look great...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: August 06, 2015 04:17PM

Let's see what DeAndre Levy does this year without Suh. He turned into a PB caliber player behind Suh. He was drafted a year before Misi. Lots of talk in Lions camp that losing Suh is overblown. Not only did they lose Suh but they also lost Mosely and Fairley. Their top 3 DT's.

They signed Ngata but he is aging (31) and beside him are unknowns. Ngata is a hell of a player but not is Suh's league and he played DE in a 3-4. I think they are in for a big surprise. I see a drop from #1 rush defense to 15 or so...

Still lots of action left before the season and anything could happen. Then we'll get a look at these young guys. One of them could steal a starting spot.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: August 07, 2015 03:07AM

Looks like Vigil has been the best of the younger bunch.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: August 17, 2015 02:50PM

Date: August 18, 2015 03:13AM

Date: August 27, 2015 05:46AM

Looks like it very well could be....

SLB Misi
MLB Sheppard
WLB Jenkins

The part that makes sense is to put Misi at SLB because it limits his snaps and depends less on him since he tends to be injury prone.

The part that doesn't make sense is that Misi is typically one of the nickle LB's with Jenkins so the snaps are not limited at all.

I don't think Sheppard is better than Dannelle Ellerbe or Phillip Wheeler. My fear is that he will give up big plays in the passing game when teams audible on early downs. He has 4.8 speed and will struggle in coverage as well as getting off blocks. He may occasionally make the big hit and maybe a strip but I fear he will disappear when facing decent o-linemen.

He may find more room to operate since he will be playing behind the best front 4 he has ever had in front of him BUT will be JAG. I hope he can actually make some plays behind a great front 4. He has been know to take bad angles.

I don't recall many (if any) situations where a LB finally broke out in year 5 after being so-so for the first 4.

Chris McCain has done nothing thus far to stand out. Much like I originally thought, he is not strong enough to shed blocks.

I think Misi will be solid on the outside and hopefully Jenkins can take it up another notch on the weak side.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.