HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Next Draft
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Next Draft
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 29, 2014 01:34PM

You know I'm tired of the same thing over and over again. Drafting for need. Seems like it was just yesterday that we drafted Jake Long and have been drafting olinemen, Dlinemen like Dion Jordan, and with the brief exception of Tannehill, we are drafting either oline or dline and taking 3rd or later round shots at rbs, wrs, and qbs.

I know the stat geeks will jump on this.

I'd like to see us do something bold in the next draft. Grab Bret Hundley, QB, UCLA.

get the best player on the board available to us without regard to position and try to build team around him like Shula built around Griese.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Next Draft
Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: December 29, 2014 01:53PM

I'd be surprised if he lasted to 14-15.

We need a DOG MLB or NT. I'd also be cool with the best OL available.

I could see taking a QB in round 4 maybe.

Gotta restock the D. Need CBs badly too.

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: December 29, 2014 04:31PM

When you have as many holes as this poorly drafting team, you are always drafting for need, no matter the position.

Drafting a QB at 14 would just be like writing off next year.

Sort of like draft Dion Jordan when you have Cameron Wake.

Most of the mocks I have seen have him in the 2nd round.

Date: December 29, 2014 07:02PM

Well, if that's true, take him in the second round or Cody Kessler in the first or second round.

We might be reliving the Woodley Marino history all over again.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: December 30, 2014 02:03AM

Buckle up boys, we will now have the next 4/5 months of ChyrenB pushing an idea that not only will never happen, but is a pretty bad idea at that. Yes, lets ask a lame duck coach and GM to ignore huge holes in the 1st/2nd round and draft a QB that will not sniff the field until after they're fired. Brilliant

And for the record, I'm all for taking a QB in the coming draft, but i'm not starting to shop for one until the 4th round and below (maybe 3rd if a 1st rnd talent fell to us, which is highly unlikely). I want a solid backup type who could blossom into something down the road, preferably a read option type so if Tanny was to go down they wouldn't have to change the whole offense to suit the new guy.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: December 30, 2014 02:52AM

Drafting a QB at all in this draft would probably go down as the worst thing possible.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: December 30, 2014 03:08AM

i get this is a discussion board but some of these topics are just too stupid to discuss.

but, much like his read option obsession we will now read about shula/greise and woodley/marino until our eyes bleed and he'll defend it tooth and nail.

the guy that didn't think luck was worth the 1st pick wants people to believe this crap.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: December 30, 2014 03:40AM

Draft the best available LB.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: December 30, 2014 04:26AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Drafting a QB at all in this draft would probably
> go down as the worst thing possible.

If we let Matt Moore walk, and we should, then drafting a backup later in the draft isn't the worst idea in the world.

The worst idea in the world is drafting one in the 1st or 2nd round if we are keeping Tannehill a,d its flat out stupid to get rid of Tannehill at this point.

I get that some people don't want him or think he's any good but they are blinded by an evaluation they made early in his career.

He's the only QB in franchise history not named Marino to throw for 4,000 yards in a season.

Only Dolphin fans would want to get rid of a guy who had better or equal numbers to Tom Brady, Troy Aikman, John Elway and Peyton Manning in his/their 3rd year as a starter.

Sad.

Drafting a QB in the 1st or 2nd round is just a terrible idea.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: December 30, 2014 05:07AM

Agree, RT improved once again in almost every single area you could track stats for. That continual improvement alone is enough reason to keep him as your starter.

I also am not against drafting a QB this year but it would be a guy taken in the fourth round or lower with potential...to groom as a backup.

No, in the first second and third rounds we HAVE to go...DT, OL, LB, CB, WR, TE. Whomever the best guy on the board is at those positions.

Date: December 30, 2014 05:13AM

Date: December 30, 2014 05:14AM

I am 90% positive we will draft a lineman in the first round.

Likely to be a top offensive tackle who can play guard unless a better DT falls to us.

Still a lot of evaluations to be done to rank these players and many will go up or down.

As of now, I would say DT, Eddie Goldman or OT/OG, TJ Clemmings

Date: December 30, 2014 05:34AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> I am 90% positive we will draft a lineman in the
> first round.
>
> Likely to be a top offensive tackle who can play
> guard unless a better DT falls to us.
>
> Still a lot of evaluations to be done to rank
> these players and many will go up or down.
>
> As of now, I would say DT, Eddie Goldman or OT/OG,
> TJ Clemmings

If we part ways with Wallace I'd guess our focus would be on a big, #1 wr/redzone target.

I love Kevin White from WVU. He's not the big Redzone target that a Sammie Coates, Jaelen Strong or Dorial Beckham-Green is but I'd be happy adding any of those guys.

Dream draft for me is that we address our Oline and Dline issues in Free Agency and add Melvin Gordon in the 1st and one of those 4 wr's in the 2nd. Then get a LB and FS in the 3rd and 4th.

Gordon is a stud and he's a terrific leader.

Date: December 30, 2014 05:42AM

Given that our only serviceable DT's as of now are (aging) Starks and (undersized) Mitchell, we have to get one in FA and likely draft one as well.

Who even knows if Hickey will keep Starks or Mitchell?

I would love to draft a WR but RB is a luxury IMO. What's the use in drafting a RB if Lazor is only going to run him 12 times a game? probably less while splitting carries with Miller.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2014 05:50AM by JoeFootball.

Date: December 30, 2014 06:12AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> Given that our only serviceable DT's as of now are
> (aging) Starks and (undersized) Mitchell, we have
> to get one in FA and likely draft one as well.
>
> Who even knows if Hickey will keep Starks or
> Mitchell?
>
> I would love to draft a WR but RB is a luxury IMO.
> What's the use in drafting a RB if Lazor is only
> going to run him 12 times a game? probably less
> while splitting carries with Miller.

I don't think we can fix all our issues in one off season. We have limited cap space. Yes, we can cut guys and create more space but that also creates more issues to fix.

My goal for next year is to take our offense to an elite level and field a decent defense.

If we change DC's its going to be a 2 or 3 year process to get him the players he wants for his system. There's just no way we can do all of that in this off season.

So if we keep Coyle, then here's my approach to fielding a decent defense:

DE: Look for a rotational DE in FA. Wake, Vernon, Shelby, Fede, FA

DT: Cut starks. Let Odrick Walk. Look for two big bodies at DT in FA to play with Mitchell and Johnson. I'll spend money on one.

LB: Move Jordan to LB and look for a MLB in the draft. I'm fine with going into next year with Jenkins, Misi, Jordan and Tripp, Mccain and a mid round draft pick.

S: Look for a Louis Delmas type bargain for 1 year. Look for one in the mid-late part of the draft.

CB: Look for a bargain, stop gap starter. Not opposed to drafting one higher in the draft, but not unless he's clearly the best guy on the board and a day one starter.

RB: Draft a stud early (Gordon, Gurley) or pass altogether. Fine with Miller as the lead back for another year. Williams looked good. Thomas a serviceable 3rd back.

TE: Bring Clay back. Clay, Sims, Miller should be solid

WR: Bring back Wallace. Cut Gibson. Try to trade Hartline. Draft two WR's or draft one early and sign a vet.

O-line: Sign a big time LG. Move Pouncey back to Center. Billy Turner to RG. Draft an OT to groom.

So... Big ticket FA signings: LG and DT.

Draft: RB, WR, LB, OL, DT, FS/CB

Date: December 30, 2014 07:09AM

THE Truth Wrote:
> I don't think we can fix all our issues in one off
> season. We have limited cap space. Yes, we can
> cut guys and create more space but that also
> creates more issues to fix.

We have no choice but to cut players. We are 4 mil OVER the cap in 2015. Time to purge the ones who are aging or not performing. I have never bought into the philosophy that a team cannot be fixed in one year.

>
> My goal for next year is to take our offense to an
> elite level and field a decent defense.

I think the best way to do both is to bolster/improve both lines.

>
> If we change DC's its going to be a 2 or 3 year
> process to get him the players he wants for his
> system. There's just no way we can do all of that
> in this off season.

I don't see that. Even if we switch to a 3-4, it won't take that long. The core is there. We just need to upgrade and purge. The smartest approach os to find a DC who can utilize the players talents instead of trying to force them into a scheme. The best coaches do this. Seattle, AZ, etc

>
> So if we keep Coyle, then here's my approach to
> fielding a decent defense:

Yuk

>
> DE: Look for a rotational DE in FA. Wake,
> Vernon, Shelby, Fede, FA

We have one but you listed him at LB. McCain has played on the line as a DE when healthy. Not at LB.
>
> DT: Cut starks. Let Odrick Walk. Look for two
> big bodies at DT in FA to play with Mitchell and
> Johnson. I'll spend money on one.

I am coming around to this idea the more I look at it. I agree with cutting Starks and letting Odrick walk. Mitchell can play the 3T if we land a FA like Dan Williams. We can also draft one. Johnson needs work as does Coleman.

>
> LB: Move Jordan to LB and look for a MLB in the
> draft. I'm fine with going into next year with
> Jenkins, Misi, Jordan and Tripp, Mccain and a mid
> round draft pick.

I was a Misi supporter but for the money I would have to replace him considering his injury trends. When you are over the cap you can't afford to spend 4.5 mil on a player in the training room and one without a true position.

SLB Jordan
MLB DRAFT
WLB Jenkins

if you want to fix the run defense, sign Brandon Spikes.

> S: Look for a Louis Delmas type bargain for 1
> year. Look for one in the mid-late part of the
> draft.

Good enough. Lets see what the market dictates. Searcy, FA from Buffalo is playing great. McCourty from NE but maybe too much $$.

> CB: Look for a bargain, stop gap starter. Not
> opposed to drafting one higher in the draft, but
> not unless he's clearly the best guy on the board
> and a day one starter.

Finnegan is in the same boat as Misi, IMO. Needs replaced. We can get a good one for what we are spending on him. 6.5 mil

> RB: Draft a stud early (Gordon, Gurley) or pass
> altogether. Fine with Miller as the lead back
> for another year. Williams looked good. Thomas
> a serviceable 3rd back.

Like I said...for 12 carries per game? good as is, take one later to find a hidden gem.

>
> TE: Bring Clay back. Clay, Sims, Miller should
> be solid

Miller? You mean Lynch? I say good to go.

> WR: Bring back Wallace. Cut Gibson. Try to
> trade Hartline. Draft two WR's or draft one
> early and sign a vet.

Not sure how to work Wallace with the contract he has. yes cut Gibson. Keep Hartline.

> O-line: Sign a big time LG. Move Pouncey back
> to Center. Billy Turner to RG. Draft an OT to
> groom.

They need to get a handle on who goes where. Let these players settle in on a position. Is Turner a LG or RG? If you can't let Shelley Smith settle in at LG then cut him. Stop the movement.

> So... Big ticket FA signings: LG and DT.
>
> Draft: RB, WR, LB, OL, DT, FS/CB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2014 07:10AM by JoeFootball.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: December 30, 2014 07:37AM

No,

Drafting a QB is the worst possible decision.

The absolute best scenario (If & when Moore leaves) is to sign Jake Locker as a backup to Ryan Tannehill. He is literally the best backup option, makes perfect sense, and dude has all the talent but can't stay healthy... but who cares, he would be the backup.

LOCKER FOR BACKUP!

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: December 30, 2014 08:00AM

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: December 30, 2014 08:03AM

Date: December 30, 2014 08:37AM

Our biggest dilemma is going to be on the offensive line.

1. When will Albert actually be ready to play? Game 4, 5 or PUP?

2. Can Turner step up and play at all and if "yes", can he play LT? Can we plug him in at LG? If he had the ability to step in for 4 games at LT, it would be HUGE. James could stay on the right and hone his craft.

3. Do we stick with Shelley Smith or release him? He played better on the left than the right but they stubbornly stayed with Colledge (the doormat). Do not resign this guy PLEASE! Fox can go too.

Answer these questions and we will know what to do in FA and the draft. The safest solution is to either sign a OT/OG or draft one in the first round and save the money for elsewhere. The safests bet would be to not count on Turner or Smith or Albert for the first 5 games.

LT
LG
C Pouncey
RG
RT James

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 30, 2014 08:56AM

THE Truth Wrote:
> If we change DC's its going to be a 2 or 3 year
> process to get him the players he wants for his
> system. There's just no way we can do all of that
> in this off season.
>
> So if we keep Coyle,

What??? NO!!! Did you think the same thing all those years we had Olividotti? A good DC can make it work with the players he has. Rex Ryan and Belicheat have done that year after year. We can have a top 10 defense if we get a good DC!!

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: December 30, 2014 09:05AM

draft best available player at any position but RB.

I would love Brandon Doughty QB WKU in the late rounds. Runs a pro style offense and led the nation in TD's.

Posted by: LUDUPORCU ()
Date: December 30, 2014 09:17AM

I don't trust "stats", and don't care about "history". Why? Simple. Stats can be made to say whatever you want; and "history" is pretty meaningless, considering the nature of 21st Century NFL football. So, i/m/o, we should "stow" all that stuff.

What did we learn from 2014? We learned that it's very frustrating to see MIAMI out of the Playoffs when we all know (or at least have a suspicion) that MIAMI should be there...Miami is basically THAT SOLID, up and down the Roster. But just a couple key shortcomings can derail even the best laid plans, don't you think? Well I DO! And I really believe that that's exactly what we just saw happen.

The finish of the 2013 season had to hurt even a DOLFAN versed in Zen. But this season's "hurt" is mental: knowing that it should've AND could've easily ended differently...VERY differently.

Well, take heart, DOLFANS. Next year gives MIAMI a clean slate, w/the distinct possibility of adding a LOT of talent...certainly more than is needed to complete the building of a JUGGERNAUT in S.E. Florida! So much of the "heavy lifting" has been done that I am
EXTREMELY hopeful...more than I've been in a long time. I feel that this is true even though MIAMI needs a couple of topshelf "vets", and there isn't much "capspace" presently. But "presently" isn't etched in stone is it, fellow DOLFANS? So what should MIAMI do now?

"Capspace' isn't an issue whenever there is "fine-tuning"/etc. to be done...and MIAMI can (and MUST) do some. I've seen some write-ups and some very perceptive comments from fellow Dolfans on this subject. Some non-producers/deadweight/failures can be cut without suffering any loss in MIAMI's skills/ability. And the amount of our Capspace "saving" could be well over $25 Million. We can always renegotiate contracts as well, and i/m/o, MIAMI has been very good at this: they play fair, and DON'T try to "balance the books" on 1 or 2 Players' backs. EXCELLENT! And it looks to me like the "word" is getting around: EXCELLENT again! WHO SAYS players who are F/As don't want to play in MIAMI? DONALD DUCK?

So, how specifically does MIAMI get the job done? Here's my view:

(1) Assuming that w/o cutting our key and/or young players, talent, etc., MIAMI could bring its "cap" # to something close to $28 Million. I would go after ANY TOP ZBS G, and if there are 2, I'd go after BOTH. I would go after him/them "WITH A VENGEANCE"! I would NOT let $$$ be the reason they went elsewhere. And I wouldn't be afraid to go after 3.

(2) I would look to replace, and cut, FINNEGAN. He's a ghost of what he once was. I would look for 1 veteran DB (S or Ccool smiley...MAYBE.

(3) I would draft a POWER HB (you all know who I'm thinking of). I woule even PAY to move up in the 2nd Round to do it. (I/m/o, N.E. will be our main competition, and they will NOT wait until Round 3!) But I would NOT automatically get rid of a certain power HB that we already have: he looked better than he ever has before when he was re-signed after being cut. Maybe a "wake-up call" was all he needed (I HOPE SO)!!!

(4) I would NOT ONLY try to extend M WALLACE, I'd also look for another WR "burner". F/A or Draft, either is ok by me, although I'd prefer the Draft (Round 4 or higher), unless our "scouts" found a prospect outside the college "mainstream"winking smiley. And last but not least...

(5) I'd look for a SPECIFIC replacement for Big PAUL! STARKS/ODRICK/MITCHELL isn't even CLOSE: no combination of that trio can get it done consistently against topshelf rushing teams, and maybe not even against mediocre rushing attacks!! And as to any fellow DOLFAN(S) still having doubts, just ask yourselves one simple question. And it's this: "How did you like seeing our supposedly vaunted, topshelf 'D' get run over...even by some MEDIOCRE/BACK-UP HBs"? I can tell you, it made me sick to my stomach!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2014 09:31AM by LUDUPORCU.

Date: December 30, 2014 10:56AM

Folks, you have a read option QB that you are trying to force into being a traditional pocket QB.

If you're going to insist on going that way and you can get Bret Hundley in the Second round, why not???? At least as someone "in waiting."

What are you giving up???? Another chance to draft To linemen like you've done year after year after year AND STILL NEED TO BECAUSE YOU HAVE A POOR OL THAT CAN'T STOP THE QB SACKS.....

What are you giving up???? Another chance to draft To linemen on the defense and still be unable to stop the running game of a bunch of lambs like we can't now??????

Draft a wide receiver??? We've got Jarvis.

Draft a running back??? With Miller and Williams we are set?

So what's left? Draft a kicker or punter? LOL.

Date: December 30, 2014 10:57AM

JoeFootball Wrote:

>
> We have no choice but to cut players. We are 4 mil
> OVER the cap in 2015. Time to purge the ones who
> are aging or not performing. I have never bought
> into the philosophy that a team cannot be fixed in
> one year.

I agree Joe. There is no choice.

>
> >
> > My goal for next year is to take our offense to
> an
> > elite level and field a decent defense.
>
> I think the best way to do both is to
> bolster/improve both lines.

Agreed. But I'd look for guys in Free Agency for immediate impact. You know those guys are NFL ready day one.

> >
> > So if we keep Coyle, then here's my approach to
> > fielding a decent defense:
>
> Yuk

LOL...yeah...YUK

I'm not advocating keeping him, but I don't think Philbin has it in him to fire the guy.

>
> >
> > DE: Look for a rotational DE in FA. Wake,
> > Vernon, Shelby, Fede, FA
>
> We have one but you listed him at LB. McCain has
> played on the line as a DE when healthy. Not at
> LB.

True, but how much of that is brain power versus physical tools?

McCain went undrafted for a reason. His transition to playing LB would be far more complicated than a situational pass rusher with his hand in the dirt.

Look a the second half of the Jets game, there were plays when both McCain and Jordan were in pass coverage at the same time.

Worst case with him is situational pass rusher but I'd still sign another. Can never have too many guys who can get to the QB.

>
> >
> > LB: Move Jordan to LB and look for a MLB in
> the
> > draft. I'm fine with going into next year with
> > Jenkins, Misi, Jordan and Tripp, Mccain and a
> mid
> > round draft pick.
>
> I was a Misi supporter but for the money I would
> have to replace him considering his injury trends.
> When you are over the cap you can't afford to
> spend 4.5 mil on a player in the training room and
> one without a true position.
>
> SLB Jordan
> MLB DRAFT
> WLB Jenkins

That's fine. But I'd keep Misi util you had his replacement in hand. He's solid and can play multiple positions.

>
> if you want to fix the run defense, sign Brandon
> Spikes.

Eeew. I'd rather sign to DT's to fix it.

>
> > CB: Look for a bargain, stop gap starter. Not
> > opposed to drafting one higher in the draft,
> but
> > not unless he's clearly the best guy on the
> board
> > and a day one starter.
>
> Finnegan is in the same boat as Misi, IMO. Needs
> replaced. We can get a good one for what we are
> spending on him. 6.5 mil

Finnegan needs to go if he doesn't retire on his own.

>
> > RB: Draft a stud early (Gordon, Gurley) or
> pass
> > altogether. Fine with Miller as the lead back
> > for another year. Williams looked good.
> Thomas
> > a serviceable 3rd back.
>
> Like I said...for 12 carries per game? good as is,
> take one later to find a hidden gem.

If I take one of those guys, he'd not a rotational player. He gets 20-25 touches a game day one, and Miller is gone after his contract is up.

>
> >
> > TE: Bring Clay back. Clay, Sims, Miller
> should
> > be solid
>
> Miller? You mean Lynch? I say good to go.

Yes, Lynch.

Date: December 30, 2014 11:34AM

Date: December 30, 2014 11:43AM

Date: December 30, 2014 11:47AM

Did you even read what I said above? I said it's true that I said take him or Cody Kessler in the second round but I said that I never said take them in the first round.

Date: December 30, 2014 11:52AM

Date: December 30, 2014 12:00PM

Okay, so why did you bold the part about Bret Hundley, drawing my attention to that?

Who knows if Cody is even coming out.

It's true I said that but the conversation was whether we take Bret Hundley as a good grab if he fell to the second round.

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.