HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          The Purge
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: The Purge
Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: January 18, 2015 06:52AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Would any of you sacrifice Hartline and Wallace
> for a guy like Demaryius Thomas? And I don't mean
> a trade with Denver. DT is a FA so we would have
> to cut both guys, restructure or trade.
>
> That still leaves us a deep threat (4.38 speed)
> but also one who is more capable than Wallace at
> fighting for the ball , being and end zone target
> (6'3 230 & 35 Td's over last 3 years)) as well as
> yards after catch. DT led the league this year in
> yards after the catch so it wasn't all Manning.
>
> Personally, I would do it.
>
> WR1 Thomas
> WR2 rookie, Gibson, Mathews,
> WRS Landry

I'd do it as well.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: January 18, 2015 07:04AM

Date: January 18, 2015 07:25AM

Date: February 16, 2015 06:25AM

Posted by: DarthHoodie ()
Date: February 16, 2015 07:06AM

Good assessment Joe. This is a team in trouble and a decline from mediocrity is very likely. The Offense seems alright and complete but the Defense has completely fallen apart, personnel wise. We don't even have to discuss the terrible game time decision making from Pinhead and Coyle...but what is most concerning to me is that it seems anyone drafted or acquired for the defensive side probably will not excel or improve under the current management/leadership roles this team has established.

Bottom line: The Dolphins need a new Owner with a disdain for the wretched mediocrity this team has produced for far too long.

Date: February 24, 2015 06:19AM

If you believe the rumor hype machine, it seems the FO is planning on a strategy of.....

Cutting Mike Wallace as a post June designation with a savings of 6.9 mil.

Re-signing Charles Clay and Jared Odrick.

Based on that information, I would think that these moves are coming....

Dannell Ellerbe will be the 2nd PJ cut at a savings of 8.45 mil. That means Hartline will not be released but may be asked to restructure. It is of no use to cut him given the money we will be carrying for him to play somewhere else. No savings unless he restructures.

The problem is that the Wallace/Ellerbe cuts and the 15.35 mil will not be available as FA money. It will be used as in season money or rookie signing money or roll over to 2016.

So we have to clear money for FA's....that probably means

Cut Starks +5 mil
Cut Gibson +3.26 mil
Finnegan +5.475
Garner +1.65

Total of 15.385 for those 4 cuts. If they still need more....

Koa Misi +2.7
Earl Mitchell +3 mil
Shelley Smith +2.75

I'm not sure I agree with the Wallace cut but reading between the lines, it may happen. I t could be that Hickey met with Wallace to gauge interest in restructuring and Wallace said no....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2015 06:20AM by JoeFootball.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: February 24, 2015 06:47AM

I think Brandon Fields is in danger, doesn't that free up almost 4 mil?

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: February 24, 2015 06:50AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> I think Brandon Fields is in danger, doesn't that
> free up almost 4 mil?

LOL.

Cut everybody....

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 24, 2015 10:45AM

LOL.

Date: February 24, 2015 11:29AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> dolphaholic Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I think Brandon Fields is in danger, doesn't
> that
> > free up almost 4 mil?
>
>
> LOL.
>
> Cut everybody....

You don't think paying a punter almost 4 million is a bit too high?

Date: February 24, 2015 11:37AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> samsam3738 Wrote:
> -----
> > dolphaholic Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I think Brandon Fields is in danger, doesn't
> > that
> > > free up almost 4 mil?
> >
> >
> > LOL.
> >
> > Cut everybody....
>
> You don't think paying a punter almost 4 million
> is a bit too high?

Nope, especially when he can change a game with a punt.

He is one of the best players we have.

We cannot become good if we are going to keep getting rid of good players.

Gotta keep good the good ones and sign some more.

Date: February 24, 2015 11:42AM

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 24, 2015 12:01PM

Punts are situational. Some times you want the punter to kick the ball to the moon. Other times you want him to place it strategically. Sometimes you want a touchback, sometimes you don't.

I'm sure stats bear some relevancy but not as much to a punter as to a field goal kicker and certainly not as much as with respect to a quarterback or running back.

Date: February 25, 2015 03:25AM

His punting stats were down because he stunk for the first half of the year. He shanked several punts that killed his average. He turned it around and I am not worried about him. he will be back to old self but 4 mil is way too much for a punter!

1 Mike Scifres $4,347,500
2 Brandon Fields $3,903,000
3 Dustin Colquitt $3,800,000
4 Britton Colquitt $3,750,000
5 Thomas Morstead $3,400,000
6 Michael Koenen $3,250,000
7 Pat McAfee $3,200,000
8 Sam Koch $3,100,000
9 Steve Weatherford $3,075,000
10 Kevin Huber $2,770,000

We need to extend and decrease his cap hit but we need to keep him. He has been #1 for several years. Huge advantage when offense is sputtering.

Date: February 25, 2015 04:52AM

One of the only bright spots weve had in a while.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: February 25, 2015 12:30PM

he's a punter for god's sake. he should make the league minimum.

get some undrafted slappy to punt.

Date: February 25, 2015 02:16PM

It's starting.....

Omar Kelly ? @OmarKelly

RT @DiegoVill NFL Network reporting Miami looking to trade Mike Wallace > BLANK STARE!!!!!! Is this supposed to be news?

Date: March 09, 2015 05:00AM

Date: March 09, 2015 05:10AM

He will probably go to Buffalo to reunite with best friend Carpenter as well as Charles Clay.

Date: March 13, 2015 02:37PM

Well the purge seems to be near completion...

Gone....

Cortland Finnegan (ret)
Phillip Wheeler
Randy Starks
Jared Odrick (Jax)
Jimmy Wilson (SD)
Jonathan Freeney (NE)
Brandon Gibson (NE)
Brian Hartline (Cle)
Mike Wallace (Min)
Dannell Ellerbe (NO)

WOW!!!!

Signed...

Ndamukong Suh
Kenny Stills
Brice McCain
Jordan Cameron
Jason Fox
Charles Clay (hope)

...all that (-10 and + 5) and I believe we are better on both sides of the ball.

Date: June 01, 2015 03:05AM

Pretty amazing turnaround...

Re-signed: 6 players: QB Ryan Tannehill, OL Jason Fox, OL Mike Pouncey, P Brandon Fields, QB Matt Moore, S Louis Delmas

Veteran additions: 11 players: CB Brice McCain, WR Greg Jennings, C J.D. Walton, OG Jacques McClendon, OT Jeffrey Linkenbach, TE Jordan Cameron, DT Ndamukong Suh, OLB Spencer Paysinger, CB Zack Bowman, WR Kenny Stills, QB Josh Freeman

Veteran subtractions: 22 players!!!!!

WR Brandon Gibson, WR Brian Hartline, TE Charles Clay, CB Cortland Finnegan, RB Daniel Thomas, OG Daryn Colledge, CB James Wilson, DT Jared Odrick, OLB Jason Trusnik, SS Jimmy Wilson, OLB Jonathan Freeny, RB Knowshon Moreno, OG Nate Garner, LB Philip Wheeler, CB R.J. Stanford, DT Randy Starks, C Samson Satele, G Shelley Smith, WR Mike Wallace, LB Dannell Ellerbe, CB T.J. Heath, CB Lowell Rose

Draft picks: 7 players: 1-DeVante Parker (WR), 2-Jordan Phillips (DT), 4-Jamil Douglas (G), 5a-Bobby McCain (Dcool smiley, 5b-Jay Ajayi (Rcool smiley, 5c-Cedric Thompson (Dcool smiley, 5d-Tony Lippett (WR)

New team, new attitude I hope! 31 players remain from the 2014 squad.

Attitude:

Suh will bring it for the defense an instill some toughness. Something that has been lacking for years. It was always dominate, dominate, break. What a great inspiration for a guy like Jordan Phillips. We could end up with the best DT tandem in the game.

Tannehill is now the clear cut leader. He got the money and everyone now knows he is the man. No more diva WR's to undermine him. All WR's are younger than him now and he can take the next step in leadership without worrying about loud mouth WR's. Jennings is older but he is a pro who will only help everyone involved.

The only attitude question I have is on the line and especially at guard. If Turner starts and produces, he will bring that nasty attitude to the line. Douglas is a good candidate to start and will bring that toughness in his run blocking.

In the secondary: If Jamar Taylor can stay healthy, he is a very physical player... The non-moves made by the FO show they are betting on him to start and play a prominent role in 2015. I hope this is his year. He is under contract through 2016.

I see at least one more signing before the season starts. Likely on the o-line or secondary....once a few guys gets cut that fit the schemes.

One of my favorite parts of the off season so far...

This is the first draft in a LONG LONG time that a player of Parker's talents has actually dropped to us in the first round. Usually they are long gone and we are JUST outside the sweet spot of the draft. The ironic part is that by trading Wallace to the Vikings (for a ham sandwich), it allowed the Vikings to pass on a WR that would fall to Miami. Nice moves by the FO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2015 03:11AM by JoeFootball.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: June 01, 2015 03:13AM

I'm disapointed to see Jimmy Wilson and Samson Satele go. Also not happy we had to let Clay go. The rest don't bother me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2015 03:13AM by montequi.

Date: June 01, 2015 04:57AM

Wilson started off his career promising but seemed to regress last year. He was missing tackles and allowed QB's a rating of 122.4 while in nickel coverage as well as 2 td's in 247 snaps and no picks. I think Brice McCain is a better nickel backer. BM only allowed a QB rating of 70.5 on 284 snaps and 0 td's & 1 pick. We made an upgrade IMO, which will come in handy vs NE. No time for regressing players. They either keep getting better or you gotta let em go.

Beyond playing the slot, Wilson had only 8 snaps playing outside. McCain had 103.

Brice runs a 4.33 40, Wilson ran a 4.51

Satele was ok but had too many mistakes, IMO. Sometimes letting a DT come free up the middle while he blocked no one. He gave up 3 sacks. He's pretty much a one position player. I don't mind giving a younger player a shot. Satele was the worst in the league in total pressures allowed with 30 in 664 snaps. JD Walton, our new backup allowed 20 in the exact amount of snaps and gave up 1 sack. No sense in paying a one dimensional player a vets salary when we can get better performance with a younger guy.

I can't see anyone I will lose any sleep over but I hate seeing Clay go to the Bills. For most of the others, it was time to move on and for several I was VERY happy to see them gone.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: June 01, 2015 05:36AM

I am ok with Clay, we made a division rival way overpay for him... I think that is better then had we let a division rival force us to way overpay for him...

We just need Cameron to stay healthy and Sims continue to progress and we will not even miss him..

Also add to the fact how many receiving targets Tannehill now has, paying Clay a lot of money would have been a waste IMO.. There is only 1 ball and we have an abundance of guys looking and deserving to get it..

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: June 01, 2015 07:07AM

The only three guys on that list I have any qualms about losing from a talent perspective are Wallace, clay and Odrick.

Wallace still scares defenses but the "juice isn't worth the squeeze."

Clay was upgraded to Cameron. Would have been nice to have both, but not necessary.

Odrick was a nice player who would be an albatross with that contract. No way we could have paid him AND Suh. And Odrick doesn't make players around him better.

I really have very few issues with our offseason beyond wishing we'd signed or drafted another legit starting OG.

Date: June 01, 2015 08:09AM

I like Odrick but he was overpaid at 8.5 mil per year. I'll take Mitchell at 4 mil and Phillips at 1 mil all day long.

Wallace is still a nice weapon but like I said, the move made it possible for us to land Parker at 2.7 mil a year compared to Wallace at 12 mil.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2015 08:11AM by JoeFootball.

Date: June 01, 2015 09:13AM

I heard both wallace and hartline were a distraction in the lockeroom.

We will not miss wallace once parker starts dominating.

and wallace didnt play well anyways last year.

He is the opposite of parker as far as going up for the ball.

Imagine parker is the stronger faster version of landry.

And landry is already a monster in the slot.

Date: June 02, 2015 06:15AM

Dolphins picked up 3 mil in cap space today due to post June release of Phillip Wheeler.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: June 02, 2015 11:28AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> Dolphins picked up 3 mil in cap space today due to
> post June release of Phillip Wheeler.

You mean the Dolphins pushed off 3 million of the dead cap space for Wheeler until next year, today...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: June 02, 2015 05:11PM

No. I mean they saved 3 mil that came off the books today. We still have dead money but it's a 3 mil savings over his previous contract numbers. We just eliminated the base salary that was on the books and have to pay the pro rated signing bonus over two years. 2.1 mil each year.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.