HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Predict the draft 2015.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Predict the draft 2015.
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: December 22, 2014 10:41AM

First of all i believe we will be lucky to pick a couple of players like landry and the OT we picked in the draft last year.

I believe we will go LB or DT in next years draft early and often. Then OL.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Predict the draft 2015.
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 22, 2014 10:43AM

Yes. A LEGIT MLB and a big-ass DT! That's the first 2 rounds. Then finish it off with O-Line depth, more LBs, and a kicker!

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 22, 2014 10:50AM

As long as we have "Kiss my a*s and I'll in turn kiss your a*s" Ross, what difference does it make?

The a*s kisser in charge of picking can do any wild thing he wants.

Because Ross doesn't care about football, he just cares about the Limelight!

Sell the team!

Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: December 22, 2014 05:09PM

Without a doubt, we go NT - MLB in the first 2 rounds. Not necessarily in that order.

Then we go power RB, S, big WR, and then OL depth. All picks based on BPA.

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: December 22, 2014 08:06PM

I don't think we go NT, as long as Coyle is the Defensive coordinator-he will keep his current scheme of twin undersized DTs and speed guys on the outside. Smaller DT's can always be picked up as FA's or somewhere floating on the waiver wire, because good teams cut those players.

I do see the humongous need for up the middle defense, but I have been seeing that for a longgggg time. I just don't know if the brain trust sees it, because they have failed now for 2 seasons to identify quality LBs to play for this team. Maybe Hickey can change that a little bit...but I don't have my hopes up.
A few young DB's, especially those smart, big and fast enough to be Safeties are always a good addition.

On the offensive side of the ball, I really don't think we need a RB, we got some untapped talent there. We do need to get rid of a lot of the scrubs on the OL and I feel the overall OL depth is very shallow. QB is fine, WR are solid...TE is a possibility- a big versatile bruising type TE would be a nice compliment to Clay.

A brand new coaching staff is on my 2015 xmas list...or a new owner? Could some genius buy this team please?

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: December 23, 2014 04:48AM

socalphin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Without a doubt, we go NT - MLB in the first 2
> rounds. Not necessarily in that order.
>
> Then we go power RB, S, big WR, and then OL depth.
> All picks based on BPA.

How do you pick by position AND go bpa?

If we win we will pick 19 or so.

I'll settle for an impact player at any position in that spot over the best dt still on the board.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: December 23, 2014 05:06AM

Like I said before, we have enough needs to sit back and see who falls to us with the luxury of knowing that any one need isn't pressing enough that we have to reach or move up.

Date: December 23, 2014 05:28AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> Like I said before, we have enough needs to sit
> back and see who falls to us with the luxury of
> knowing that any one need isn't pressing enough
> that we have to reach or move up.

Exactly holic.

There is hardly a position on this team where we couldn't use a young impact player.

RB, te, ol, wr, DE, dt, lb, cb, Fs...

Fill spots with fa, then look for impact players in the draft.

Would anyone really be upset if we took an elite talent like Todd Gurley or Melvin Gordon at #19?

I sure as hell wouldn't be and I'm not a proponent of taking RB in round 1 as a general rule of thumb.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2014 05:46AM by THE Truth.

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: December 23, 2014 05:41AM

toko34 Wrote:
> I don't think we go NT, as long as Coyle is the
> Defensive coordinator-he will keep his current
> scheme of twin undersized DTs and speed guys on
> the outside. Smaller DT's can always be picked
> up as FA's or somewhere floating on the waiver
> wire, because good teams cut those players.

The shift to undersized DT's this year was a change in philosophy/scheme. Coyle runs the same defense as Mike Zimmer and that defense depends on a NT and a 3 technique. I think the switch proved it did not work this year, They will be under a lot of heat to fix the run defense. it all starts here, IMO.

> I do see the humongous need for up the middle
> defense, but I have been seeing that for a
> longgggg time. I just don't know if the brain
> trust sees it, because they have failed now for 2
> seasons to identify quality LBs to play for this
> team.

That seemed like ego on JP's part. He let Ireland cut Dansby and Burnett while replacing them with players who were projections. Ellerbe was an ILB in a 3-4. Wheeler was a SLB in 4-3. They put Wheeler at WLB and he was probably the worst one in the league. He was pretty good at SLB this year. Bad personnel decision on Ireland's part AND bad coaching on how they used them. Philbin didn't see Dansby as "his" kind of player so he let a better player walk.

We'll see next year if Hickey was any good. Tripp should make a jump IF he has the ability as they probably get rid of Ellerbe. I'm not sure where Misi fits as much as Philbin loves him. He was originally drafted to be a 3-4 SOLB in Mike Nolan's defense. He has also missed 12 games over the last 3 years.

Sounds like they are finally open to Dion Jordan switching to LB'er. He would probably be a SLB that doesn't leave the field as they do in the current scheme.

SLB Jordan
MLB Tripp/Misi/Rookie
WLB Jenkins

That lineup makes several guys expendable. Misi, Ellerbe, Wheeler. They make too much to be backups. Misi 4.5 mil, Wheeler 4.4 mil, Ellerbe 9.85 mil!!!! It's not like we don't need a makeover but they will do something that will leave us scratching our heads.

Maybe Hickey can change that a little
> bit...but I don't have my hopes up.
> A few young DB's, especially those smart, big and
> fast enough to be Safeties are always a good
> addition.

True but this staff seems to like the wee little guys.

> On the offensive side of the ball, I really don't
> think we need a RB, we got some untapped talent
> there. We do need to get rid of a lot of the
> scrubs on the OL and I feel the overall OL depth
> is very shallow. QB is fine, WR are solid...TE is
> a possibility- a big versatile bruising type TE
> would be a nice compliment to Clay.

Again, We'll see how good Hickey was this year when Arthur Lynch is in the fold (6'5 250). I think Sims is that big bruising type at 6'4 265. He is developing nicely.

> A brand new coaching staff is on my 2015 xmas
> list...or a new owner? Could some genius buy this
> team please?

Not likely but there is still a glimmer of hope since Philbin has refused to endorse either of the coordinators for returning. Sounds more like his awkward way of expressing his "way" than anything else. They will probably both be back.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 23, 2014 08:53AM

Problem is that no matter who we pick, the important decision will be made by Ross as to the future coaching. From other threads that's already been decided.

If what is reporting is true, whoever is picked is going to have to spend a considerable amount of time on the bench.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: December 23, 2014 10:09AM

Juwaun James didn't........

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: December 23, 2014 11:43PM

We need DT's that can stop the run, push the pocket AND also rush the passer with regularity and authority. Applying pressure to QB's right up the middle is the biggest wekness on our defense. If we can do that Vernon and Wake will have a field day next season because opponents won't be able to double them.

Beyond that, we need a serious upgrade at MLB, and a CB with speed and size.

Offense should be taken with every other pick in the draft.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: December 24, 2014 03:54AM

Trust me chren if they can play they will play no matter if they are rookies.

1. Tannehill
2. Juwan james
3. Jarvis landry

Posted by: thegreathoo ()
Date: December 24, 2014 04:06AM

IMO we need to get Offensive players in the draft. There are two main reasons.
One is, we need to improve offensive play because too often we are stalling for multiple quarters. 2 of the 5 WR will be likely gone. We need an outside and redzone #1 level WR. We need to improve depth at OL.
Second and more importantly, we have an offense where guys from college can come in and contribute right away without redshirting.
There are excellent tackles, running back and receivers in this draft.
This is a recipe for a succesful drafting year on offense where we can permanently solve things and become beastly at least on one side of the ball.

Yes, the defense is an issue and there are many needs. However, there, guys need to redshirt and it would be a waste to rely on draft to improve the defense. We need to spend wisely in free agency to improve a few spots. Moreover, we have guys on D who will be sophomores and can help. At DT Coleman and Johnson are in the waiting. At DB Taylor, Davis, Aikens are in the waiting. At LB, Jordan, Jenkins, McCain. Delmas should be back. With a few choice picks in FA defense can be improved.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: December 24, 2014 05:48AM

Assuming that Philbin, Lazor, Coyle and Hickey stay on, there are only a few players on the team that are "set in stone." In other words, from a position standpoint, they are safe. I'm not thinking of cap space.

Those set in stone are (in my opinion):

Tannehill, Pouncey, Landry, James, Grimes, Wake, Clay, Denney, and Miller.

All those not mentioned could be traded or replaced by a better FA or draft pick.

Defensive line needs a fast, robust big fellow. A Soliai run stopper. The linebacker corps is weak. Misi is injury prone. Our secondary needs more depth. Finnegan isn't as good as I expected him to be. All back-ups were suspect.

Safety could be better, I do think our safeties will play better next year if both are healthy at the same time. Jimmy Wilson should not be a back-up safety. I don't find him as a good sub. His energy is best suited for Special Teams. Dion Jordan has found his niche as a Special Teams player. (I'm not going to make the obvious comments about his high draft status and Special Teams play....)

Our kicker, Sturgis is average at best--we need a better, more consistent player.

The O-line was beset with injuries and medical issues. James is solid, Pouncey was coming off injury. Colledge had medical issues. LT is a question during the off season again. What to do. Will rehab work? Lots to think about again. There could be a free agent G out there that could put Pouncey back at center and have Satelle as his back-up.

Hartline is trade bait now. I think his last game with the Dolphins is against the Jets. The Dolphins need another Landry--a great pick.

The Dolphins have lots of needs again. I don't expect a serious change in personnel, but I do see a couple of upgrades being sought after on the D-line and at LB.

Date: December 24, 2014 06:12AM

colonel Wrote:
> Assuming that Philbin, Lazor, Coyle and Hickey
> stay on, there are only a few players on the team
> that are "set in stone." In other words, from a
> position standpoint, they are safe. I'm not
> thinking of cap space.

Nothing to assume here colonel. Philbin is coming back.

>
> Those set in stone are (in my opinion):
>
> Tannehill, Pouncey, Landry, James, Grimes, Wake,
> Clay, Denney, and Miller.

Clay is a free agent. He's only coming back if he wants to. Its possible that we won't offer him what he wants. Its also possible that he might just want to leave no matter what we offer.

Posted by: thegreathoo ()
Date: December 24, 2014 06:21AM

I think Pouncey may not be resigned. The benefit of having him at $8 mil does not outweigh the savings over Satele at $2 mil. Pouncey would count around $8 mil against the cap and Phins have 0 dead money tied in him. Primed for a cut, let him hit the market.

Phins have 4.5 mil tied to Hartline in dead money. I doubt he gets released. And I doubt anyone would trade for him and pay $7.5 mil a year for Hartline when they can draft a better receiver and pay less than a mil a year.

As much as some won't like it, Dallas Thomas is likely coming back. He is cheap and is servicable as a back up at guard and tackle at $500k a year. Consider Pouncey at $8 mil at RG or Dallas Thomas at $0.5 mil at RG. I am taking DT any day.

Dolphins may be interested in releasing Starks and Mitchell, and not resigning Odrick. They will cost $2 mil in dead money if all released, and about $13-14 mil together if kept. While that is not a lot of money tied up in tackles, the interior has been underperforming and new blood is needed. Add to that that the Phins had Anthony Johnson and Deandre Coleman redshirting, who were both beasts in college. Dolphins could keep Mitchell at his $3.5 mil cap number, and go after one vet DT to replace Starks and ODrick, at about $5 mil. That would give the Phins 4 DTs, two vets in Mitchell and FA pickupand 2 sophomores in Coleman and Johnson, and they would still be saving money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2014 07:31AM by thegreathoo.

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: December 24, 2014 07:32AM

I find it hard to believe they would cut Pouncey when they just exercised the 5th year option for his contract. If anything, he probably gets an extension to lessen the 2015 cap burden. He needs to move back to center which would make Satele expendable and not likely to be resigned unless it's cheap. He is a good backup.

Dallas Thomas is cheap and will be back unless they can fill more gaps in the off season. I think Turner will elevate himself and they will likely draft a tackle/guard or sign one in FA.

Need to continue to build both lines. Not sure about Shelley Smith. Coaches don't seem to favor him although I believe he outperformed Colledge at LG.

We will be likely losing Colledge and Fox and maybe Garner. Another injury prone player.

I don't think Mitchell can live up to his contract of 4.5 mil. The young guys haven't shown enough to be counted on as anything more than developmental guys.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.