HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Coordinators on the field vs in the box
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Coordinators on the field vs in the box
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: August 25, 2014 12:06PM

Poll
Coordinators better serve the team
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
11 votes were received.
in the skybox 3

27%
on the field 8

73%

Last year both Kevin Coyle and Mike Sherman coached the games from the coaches skybox. This preseason both Lazor and Coyle have been on the sidelines... Philbin said the final decision has not been made where his coordinators will be coaching from... I was wondering what you guys think? DO you think the coaches should be on the field with the players or up in the box with a better vantage point of the whole field... I think there are positives and negatives to both.. I did think it was a bit weird that Philbin was all alone so to speak on the field the last couple years... In order for players to hear from the coordinators they had to call them on the phone.. Where a coach on the field is constantly in his players ears... Does the better vantage point outweigh the type of constant interaction with players a coach on the field is able to have?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Coordinators on the field vs in the box
Date: August 25, 2014 02:06PM

Im convinced belicheat has found a way to intercept other teams plays transmissions upstairs anyway.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: August 25, 2014 02:46PM

On the field by far.
Let's Lazor and Coyle deal directly with their respective players in real time. Ideas, adjustments, praise/criticism, can be conveyed immediately and more concisely.
Leave the assistants up in the box, so that they can point out the obvious, and relay "birds eye view" info to the coordinators.
In turn, it lets Philbin stay more engaged in the game, being able to speak face to face with the OC and DC in real time as well. Allowing them to make decisions and adjustments more on the fly and in the flow of the game.

Date: August 25, 2014 02:53PM

Can see the cheerleaders better also.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: August 25, 2014 04:04PM

There's a reason why the game cameras are up high on the 50 yard line. Because you can see so much more from there. I would want my co-ordinators where they have the best view of the flow of the game and make game time adjustments rather than just following the game plan script. You have tight end coaches, wide receiver coaches, running back coaches, O-line coaches, QB coaches. Let them make eye to eye with the players. Let the co-ordinators call the plays where they can best see the plays.
They're not cheerleaders they're strategists.

The Clown Show Continues

-

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: August 26, 2014 03:36AM

Following that reasoning Hooligan, the counter argument is maybe its best for the coordinators get the same view more or less as the players---which would better enable to communicate to them the adjustments that could be made as the game progresses. I still see a need to put someone in the box--but not the "General"--or "Field General." This birds eye view is more of a position of an assistant coordinator.

In other words, who would you rather get your orders from- A direct voice, face to face or some form of communication device far away?

I vote to put those guys on the field.

(I recall Tom Olividatti was a video box guy, as was Nolan..didn't like them.)

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: August 26, 2014 03:53AM

socalphin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On the field by far.
> Let's Lazor and Coyle deal directly with their
> respective players in real time. Ideas,
> adjustments, praise/criticism, can be conveyed
> immediately and more concisely.
> Leave the assistants up in the box, so that they
> can point out the obvious, and relay "birds eye
> view" info to the coordinators.
> In turn, it lets Philbin stay more engaged in the
> game, being able to speak face to face with the OC
> and DC in real time as well. Allowing them to make
> decisions and adjustments more on the fly and in
> the flow of the game.

Ditto

Also, Tannehill said he gets the play much quicker when the coach is on the sideline.

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: August 26, 2014 05:12AM

It depends on the type of leadership you have on the field from the players.

We are running a new offense so having our OC on the field may be a plus.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: August 26, 2014 02:16PM

I agree with the guys about being on the field... You can have assistant coordinators up in the box relaying the birds eye view stuff.. Also being eye level and seeing what the players see, is a good perspective to coach from as well... What happens if there is a tell you see a player doing that you can relay to your player... It is hard to see that tell from a skybox... Kind of like our snap count read/tells/ mishaps last year...

Plus I like when a coordinator has his troops huddled all together while they are off the field.. It is kind of hard to have the whole front 7 and there backups, all huddle together on a conference call getting prepped by their coach for the next set of downs... I think our coordinators should be on the field... The press box is too detached and hard to communicate with more then 2 players at once..

COyle said and I am paraphrasing that he likes in it the press box better... He said on the field it is dangerous, you have to keep your head on a swivel to keep from getting taken out... lol...kind of funny, that is what he said about being on the field...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2014 02:18PM by Crowder52.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: August 27, 2014 10:16AM

I agree with Hooligan.

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: August 27, 2014 10:50AM

Tannehill said he gets the play much quicker when the coach is on the sideline. Since he needs all the time he can get, I vote for on the field as well.

Date: August 27, 2014 05:59PM

Too bad you don't "get it" at all.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.