Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          It's Bad to try to be a Dad, Shame on Him!
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
It's Bad to try to be a Dad, Shame on Him!
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: May 20, 2014 01:17PM

I guess longing and pining for something real to do and being jealous of the NBA that they have the Sterling controversy to do.......

the NFL has decided to suspend Robert Mathis for THE FIRST FOUR GAMES of this coming season.

His sin?????

He took a "performance enhancing drug." What drug? He wanted to have a child and he took, on his doctor's recommendation, Clomid, a drug commonly prescribed for both men and women to enhance fertility.

Mathis asked his doc whether this was a performance enhancing drug and his doc said no.

Mathis admits that he probably should have double checked with the NFL but in his mind it was like double checking about a doctor telling him that a stomach relief medicine was not enhancement performance.

The NFL has yet to justify why this drug is on its banned list and does not dispute the lack of evil intent on Mathis' part.

It's just a "the rules are the rules."

But as many have pointed out, why not impose a minor fine or even a fine of four games' play worth instead of not allowing him to play for four games.

Luckily aside from all the BS, his wife got pregnant.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: It's Bad to try to be a Dad, Shame on Him!
Date: May 20, 2014 09:38PM

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: May 21, 2014 01:48AM

Yeah and all those guys who said their positive results were due to adderal were just trying to control their add. I am not sure I am buying his story

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: May 21, 2014 01:49AM

Clomid is also used by steroid users to kickstart their own testosterone production after a cycle of steroids. Manny Ramirez was suspended by MLB for a similar incident back in 2009.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: May 21, 2014 02:14AM

The board just got 10 times more intelligent.........welcome back d-mark

Date: May 21, 2014 11:31AM

For once I agree with holic. Welcome back Mark.

And thanks for letting me know that Mark. The only stories I have heard were that the connection that this drug has with Enhancement performance was minimal at best. I did not know that it was a way of basically compensating for prior steroid use which, in turn, is banned.

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: May 22, 2014 11:18PM

Let me add that if you have low sperm count the Urologist will administer testosterone shots too boost your count, but it only works for a short period of time. As a former health care professional Mathis's story simply does not make sense. Clomid is also intended for women too use too boost their pregnancy chances. It is not for men too take. So too me Mathis is guilty of trying to gain an edge over his opponents.

Date: May 23, 2014 10:04AM

Date: May 23, 2014 08:54PM

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: May 24, 2014 05:53AM

Cricket cricket cricket.

The draft just ended....Minicamp is going on and you can hear crickets on this board.

Come on people its getting boring.

We need some confrontations, we need some news, we need some posters $H!TTING on dolfin's cereal.

Go on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: May 24, 2014 06:48AM

Dolfin is too busy with His Pats draft board.......

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: May 24, 2014 10:28AM

But funny enough, I have not read any articles linking the drug to performance enhancement.

But come on guys, Robert Mathis has always been one of the top linebackers in the league. So either he's been getting away with using the stuff for a long time OR he did not take it for that purpose.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: May 25, 2014 02:46AM

it doesn't matter why he took it's responsibility for what goes into his body. He has the resources available him to research it or ask before taking anything. Team docs, team liasons, team baby sitters. It's all right there in front of him.

why must we make excuses for grown men?

everyone is a victim.

Date: May 25, 2014 08:47AM

On the other hand, some of us are getting sick of rules that make no sense.

The law does not get respect if the law does not deserve respect.

Silly laws promote disrespect for all laws.

There must be a reason for the rule that makes sense.

The man HIMSELF acknowledged that he should have checked with the NFL. Acceptance of responsibility is not the point.

The point is that it was a technical violation at best and the penalty was FAR TOO SEVERE and out of proportion.

Had it been a Dolphin player, You (JSYOP)Just YOUR OPINION ALLOWED would be screaming the loudest on this board.

What I'm sick of is self-righteous A holes who always are really to criticize others for their actions but whine like little puppies when that type of harsh no tolerance punishment is levied against them.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: May 25, 2014 09:59AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On the other hand, some of us are getting sick of
> rules that make no sense.
>
> The law does not get respect if the law does not
> deserve respect.
>
> Silly laws promote disrespect for all laws.
>
> There must be a reason for the rule that makes
> sense.
>
> The man HIMSELF acknowledged that he should have
> checked with the NFL. Acceptance of
> responsibility is not the point.
>
> The point is that it was a technical violation at
> best and the penalty was FAR TOO SEVERE and out of
> proportion.
>

Hardly and arbitrary or technical violation, and not something "I'm sorry" should get you out of. It was on the list of forbidden substances and Mathis should not have taken it without trying to get league approval.
Chyren you must be getting soft in your retirement to just accept Mathis' story at face value. Clomid is a steroid masking agent. If you google it it comes up on a ton of steroid websites selling it to users.

Last year’s NFL sack leader was suspended for the first four games of the upcoming season for a violation of the NFL’s performance-enhancing drug policy. Robert Mathis reportedly tested positive for a prescription drug named Clomid (Clomifene), which is most commonly known as a female fertility drug. It is also known to be a masking agent taken in conjunction with steroids. Notably, baseball player Manny Ramirez and many Olympic athletes have received suspensions for testing positive for this banned substance.

The Colts linebacker insisted he wasn’t cheating and that he only took the medication for his family’s infertility issues. We have all heard the “dog ate my homework” excuses before. In this case, the question is whether or not Mathis’ explanation can be viewed as plausible.

On the surface, Mathis’ excuse appears unbelievable. The NFL is correct in stating that Clomid “is not approved by the FDA for fertility in males and is a performance-enhancing drug that has been prohibited for years.”

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: May 25, 2014 10:50AM

Date: May 25, 2014 01:19PM

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: May 25, 2014 05:38PM

Chyren, you seriously can't connect the dots? He never tested positive before, but as Truth pointed out, he never had more then 11.5 sacks in a season......the year(at the ripe old age of 32 I might add) he gets 19.5 sacks he tests positive for a known steroid masking agent........even Stevie Wonder could see this one

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: May 25, 2014 07:17PM

Damn I need some of that stuff

Date: May 25, 2014 07:34PM

His stats have been up and down by the years. Suspicious about 2013 when compared with 2012 and 2011?

Tackles Sacks
2013 43 16
2012 22 8.0
2011 29 9.5
2010 44 11.0
2009 24 9.5
2008 36 11.5
2007 26 7.0
2006 50 9.5
2005 43 11.5
2004 32 10.5
2003 17 3.5

Those are his career tackle and sack stats.

Stevie Wonder? LOL. It takes a mind reader to see a pattern in that.

What about 2010 in comparison to 2009 and 2008, in comparison to 2007 and what about 2006 and 2005 coming after 2004 and 2003?

He was always fluctuating and of course, these stats are affected by the people who play besides you or, in the case of a linebacker, in front of you.

Date: May 25, 2014 07:36PM

Of course, 808, you need to make a team, right? LOL.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: May 26, 2014 05:24AM

The guy has his story all wrong.

If the substance is a FEMALE fertility drug, all he needed to do was claim that he wanted to switch genders, then have a baby as a female! The drug was just part of the pre-surgery regimen.

Anyone punishing him (soon to be 'her') for that is obviously intolerant of anyone with alternative lifestyles or gender identification!

Date: May 26, 2014 10:52AM

You sly ole dog, you.

edited to add "not that there's anything wrong with that."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2014 07:40PM by ChyrenB.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.