HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          The Big Gamble
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
The Big Gamble
Posted by: colonel ()
Date: May 11, 2014 03:14AM

Here are a few of my thoughts concerning our draft. I will not talk about any of the players selected nor be too opinionated about our new GM. What I need to address is the huge gamble recruiting from small colleges.

Arguably the best conference in college football is the SEC. The recruiting by colleges in that conference is very competitive. They seek great high school players from all around the nation. Once they are landed, those players must compete with other top players just like them, to play on Saturday.

At smaller less heralded college programs, football is competitive, but not at the same level like we see in the SEC (AAC etc). The smaller college programs generally attract less skilled players. There will always be the rare small college football player who is absolutely top-tier. You know the guy that could have played at Bama, USC, Michigan, Penn St, Ohio etc and been on the highlight reel every week.

With our recent draft--we drafted players that excelled at the small school level and I have to wonder, as many of us do, whether the gamble was contrary to building a play off team.

We, can only hope that our draft found rare gems--top small college stands out that could have succeeded at the best college programs in the nation. I also hope that this drafting class proves that young guys who didn't go to the best college programs are worthy of tremendous NFL opportunities too.

Finally, good luck to all of them. Make us proud, make us stand up and applaud your skills on the field, your big plays, and your solid leadership on the field and in the locker room.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Big Gamble
Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: May 11, 2014 04:49AM

We truly did uncover every rock. I saw Dennis Hicky, iPad in hand, at a local community college watching an intramural flag football game. A day later he was at the same school watching a powderpuff game.

Posted by: Sickofit+1 ()
Date: May 11, 2014 04:59AM

We got a bunch of bums. I bet we only have one maybe two of these guys start for us and when they start think Misi. Just a average player. This is how I feel. I prey that I am wrong but something tells me I am right .

Posted by: JC ()
Date: May 11, 2014 06:27AM

colonel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Arguably the best conference in college football
> is the SEC.

And it's hard to even argue that. The SEC has been an absolute force even before they expanded the conference.

>
> At smaller less heralded college programs,
> football is competitive, but not at the same level
> like we see in the SEC (AAC etc). The smaller
> college programs generally attract less skilled
> players.

Generally , yes you're right. But scouting has become so sophisticated lately that I'm confident any school that suits up has eyes on them.

And our first rounder is from the SEC yet most everyone here seems to be crapping all over that pick. So who knows.

I remember the story about Doug Swift, whom Shula and his scouts found at Amherst College in 1070. Not UMASS-Amherst...but Amherst COLLEGE. I wouldn't have even known they had a football team, but he was a very important player on our championship teams and very smart (went on to be a successful surgeon).

Mark Duper comes from a tiny college in Lousiana..in my eyes he's the best small-college Dolphins success story from the 80s.

There have been many others, I'm sure.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: May 11, 2014 06:43AM

Amherst college from the mighty nescac conference. I think their team name is The Lord Jeffs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2014 06:44AM by berkeley223.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: May 11, 2014 10:16AM

JC Wrote:
> colonel Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > Arguably the best conference in college
> football
> > is the SEC.
>
> And it's hard to even argue that. The SEC has
> been an absolute force even before they expanded
> the conference.
>
> >
> > At smaller less heralded college programs,
> > football is competitive, but not at the same
> level
> > like we see in the SEC (AAC etc). The smaller
> > college programs generally attract less skilled
> > players.
>
> Generally , yes you're right. But scouting has
> become so sophisticated lately that I'm confident
> any school that suits up has eyes on them.
>
> And our first rounder is from the SEC yet most
> everyone here seems to be crapping all over that
> pick. So who knows.
>
> I remember the story about Doug Swift, whom Shula
> and his scouts found at Amherst College in 1070.
> Not UMASS-Amherst...but Amherst COLLEGE. I
> wouldn't have even known they had a football team,
> but he was a very important player on our
> championship teams and very smart (went on to be a
> successful surgeon).
>
> Mark Duper comes from a tiny college in
> Lousiana..in my eyes he's the best small-college
> Dolphins success story from the 80s.
>
> There have been many others, I'm sure.

All Finfans can only hope that Hickey made the right choices.

I am sure when posters here are talking about the small schools, they are talking about a small school player here-and-there, not four or five in one draft, on one team. The odds are against that many, on one team, surviving. The big schools have a better chance in that they have played against (mostly) top notch talent.

There were still quite a few "names" that were not drafted, and one begs to question "why?"

As I mentioned in an earlier post, our 7th rounder was a "who?" and there were still other, more talented, bigger school players available.

Because Hickey drafted him instead of Sam, it is "guessed" that he was higher on Hickey's board than Sam. Really? An SEC Defensive Player of the Year vs a no name? And this guy is better?

I don't give a crap about the gay stuff and the controversy and circus that it could bring to Miami. Sam is a better player than this guy; he has a better shot at making the team. I think Hickey wimped out on this one.

So basically, Miami wasted their 7th rounder.

That's my opinion, of course.

Date: May 11, 2014 03:25PM

I wonder if Sam when in his stance farts a lot more because of well and that affects the O-lineman and that's why he was a good DE. Or more likely he just knows how to really go after men. Hehe

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: May 11, 2014 03:46PM

All we can do is hope for the best.

I'll give Hickey some rope but if this had been Ireland....

Date: May 11, 2014 06:11PM

The More I read about these players the more I like. Hickey seems to have given it is all and that's all you can ask. See what happens.

JC You make a good point about Michael Sam, but I just don't think he would be worth the circus and distraction especially after last years Bullygate. Dolphins need some time out of the limelight. That's why they jumped all over Don Jones. Squash it all now so no one has any more bright Ideas.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: May 12, 2014 01:07AM

I think the list of small school hall of famers would disput this theory pretty easy, hell on our own team you got Zach and Jason that comes to mind as small school stars, if a guy can play a guy can play.

Date: May 12, 2014 03:36AM

Texas tech isn't a "small school"

Date: May 12, 2014 05:16AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> Texas tech isn't a "small school"

No, but for the premise of his post, it's definately not a major "football" powerhouse either. Good/great players come from all types of schools, to exclude any because they're not from a powerhouse team or conference would be silly.

Date: May 12, 2014 05:19AM

Right but Marist? Gimme a break

Date: May 12, 2014 05:28AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> Right but Marist? Gimme a break

So you're worked up over a 7th round pick? I thought this post was about drafting from football powerhouse in general.

Also, good thing the 49ers didn't think like that when they took J Rice from Mississippi Valley State

Posted by: ChambersDeepBall ()
Date: May 12, 2014 06:24AM

Clyde Gates worked out well eye rolling smiley

Date: May 12, 2014 08:08AM

Date: May 12, 2014 08:14AM

Oh ok I think there is one in maine too! Either way right on and I hope he turns into the next Taylor!

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: May 12, 2014 08:19AM

One of my boys graduated from a small highly respected top tier private university. It has a incidental football program. That is what I'm referring to in my original post.

Texas Tech is a big university (30,000 undergrads) and their football program isn't incidental to it. Marist on the other hand is a small
college (4000 undergrads).

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: May 12, 2014 08:19AM

He's not from Maine.

Marist college is in Poughkeepsie, NY.

Date: May 12, 2014 08:22AM

Ok thanks for the update!

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: May 12, 2014 09:28AM

Temple: Muhamaad Wilkerson, Terrance Knighton,
Tennessee St: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
Tennessee-Chattanooga: Terrell Owens, Buster Skrine
Troy: Leotis McKelvin, Demarcus Ware, Osi Umenyiora
Tulsa: Charles Clay
Tuskegee, Drayton Florence

That's just a few and that's just the "T"'s.

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: May 14, 2014 05:48AM

I could see it if the player got into some trouble, grades bad... something like that and went to the small school, but not sure that is the case.

I dont think anyone is saying small school guys cannot be good, but to draft half the draft on them ..... risky

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.