HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Tony Mc Daniel - Worth a 7th?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Tony Mc Daniel - Worth a 7th?
Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: March 19, 2009 03:30PM

Any one know much about this guy?

Probably worth a 7th to have some depth for ferguson and he plays de in the 3-4 they say.

Seems to signal they have little confidence in Solai, and / or don't really want to spend the top picks on a DT unless someone really good falls in their lap (ie not going to make it a igher priority than other needs).

He's been a backup thus far so says the press, with good size and agility in a 3-4. Has had some injury issues in the pas ... but is young at 24.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tony Mc Daniel - Worth a 7th?
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 19, 2009 03:36PM

anyone who's played in the nfl for a season or 2 is worth a 7th--most 7th rounders don't make it out of training camp--I never heard of the guy but for a 7th it doesn't matter

Posted by: TheFutt ()
Date: March 19, 2009 03:48PM

I agree. We traded one of our three 7th rounders for a guy with NFL playing experience.

Works for me...

Posted by: wayne ()
Date: March 19, 2009 03:50PM

he was definately worth a 7th. Sparano is always preaching position flexibility and he gives them just that.

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: March 19, 2009 04:08PM

He was injured 50% of the time in Jacksonville. And from one quick look at the Jags board, the impression I get is that he was mediocre and provided roster depth for them on paper only. They're happy to get an extra draft pick.

Is it a good deal for us? I'll trust Trifecta to make that decision. I can't complain losing a 7th rounder, but this guy wasn't even drafted. He was undrafted. I don't see how we couldn't pick up a young, healthy guy for free ourselves, rather than trading away a pick. But maybe they see some potential there.

Plus, trading away the later draft picks makes it harder for us to bundle picks ourselves to trade for a good player, or trade up in the draft.

confused smiley

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: March 19, 2009 05:20PM

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: March 19, 2009 06:29PM

6'7 310

Date: March 20, 2009 01:50AM

Wait a minute...we have THREE picks in round 7, I didn't realize that. So we have nothing to lose. I wonder if it's the early one or not.

Parcells likes huge players, he got one, and the guy will either warm the bench with his injuries and get cut from the team, or turn out to be another gem that Trifecta dug up for about zero cost.

All I can say is that with all these big guys that Parcells is bringing into Miami, we should have a domed stadium. Weather is a little hard on the big guys in August.

1 Dallas (from Detroit)
2 St. Louis
3 Kansas City
4 Seattle
5 Miami (from Cleveland)
6 Cincinnati
7 Oakland
8 Tampa Bay (from Jacksonville)
9 Green Bay
10 San Francisco
11 Buffalo
12 Minnesota (from Washington)
13 New Orleans
14 Houston
15 San Diego
16 Denver
17 Pittsburgh (from Tampa Bay)
18 Dallas
19 N.Y. Jets
20 Tampa Bay (from Chicago)
21 Philadelphia
22 Minnesota
23 Miami
24 Tampa Bay (from Baltimore)
25 New England
26 Denver (from Atlanta)
27 Indianapolis
28 Miami (from Carolina)
29 N.Y. Giants
30 Tennessee
31 Arizona
32 Pittsburgh

Date: March 20, 2009 03:53AM

What's with the revised draft order?

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 20, 2009 06:06AM

A 7th round pick isn't much to give. But mcdaniel is an injured wreck.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: March 20, 2009 07:20AM

Posted by: JC ()
Date: March 20, 2009 07:48AM

DolphinSam Wrote:
>
> All I can say is that with all these big guys that
> Parcells is bringing into Miami, we should have a
> domed stadium. Weather is a little hard on the
> big guys in August.

That would be giving away our home field advantage. The weather is a LOT harder on visiting teams in the early part of the season who aren't used to S. FL climate.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: March 20, 2009 12:47PM

TURF is terrible for lineman. Oh wait we could use the new MARLINS stadium and play on CLAY half the year........NOT DOLPHIN STADIUM or whatever you wanna call it is a special place. (2 world series champs)

Date: March 20, 2009 02:50PM

That's true, natural grass is easier on their body parts. I heard the vote for the marlins stadium went through. So eventually, they'll leave and the Dolphins won't have to play on the infield during baseball season. Whoo hoo.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: March 21, 2009 03:00AM

Actually, modern turf is pretty much exactly like grass. The old carpet-like AstroTurf is a thing of the past.

Date: March 21, 2009 04:40AM

I thought I just read that the Marlins were approved for a new stadium.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: Miami Troy ()
Date: March 21, 2009 04:48AM

He's tall, maybe he can move to DE if needed. Honestly I never heard of the guy. I could'nt name too many back-up DTs on other teams.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 21, 2009 09:48AM

6 feet 7 and 310 pounds. Can play DT and DE in our scheme.

Yup, he's worth a 7th.

Posted by: grooves12 ()
Date: March 21, 2009 10:06AM

Usually yth rounders are throwaways anyways... they rarely make the roster, and if this guy has starting potential and has stuck around this long in the NFL,he is definitely worth a 7th.

It sounds like his major downfall is his injury history... but again a 7th round pick is usually VERY unlikely to contribute, so would you rather risk having that guy on IR, with the possibility of him being a contributor... or would you rather take a guy who is more than likely not going to have the talent to make it in the NFL.

Posted by: RW13 ()
Date: March 21, 2009 06:46PM

I think it's funny how we consider 7th rounders to be throw aways. Remember when the draft was 12 rounds? Heck, players like Richard Dent were drafted in the 12th round and there are lots of players that never get drafted that go on to become great players. Wasn't Jerry Rice a 7th? I still think this was a good trade though.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 21, 2009 07:47PM

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: March 21, 2009 11:21PM

Posted by: RW13 ()
Date: March 22, 2009 05:26AM

That's why there was a question mark after the Jerry Rice comment. It means I am not sure. Thank you for clearing it up for me. My point is, that I don't think any pick is considered a throw away pick. I think there is less of a chance of that pick making it in the NFL, but not a throw away! Plenty of picks in the 7th and later rounds in the past have gone on to be great or even just good soid players in the NFL. So, I don't consider them to be throw aways. That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it!

Date: March 22, 2009 11:07AM

Date: March 22, 2009 07:30PM

are you kidding me? yes the man is worth a 7th round especialy when you got 3 to use, any man over 6'7 300 plus with our training program will be a solid DT, in our system by means of stuffing the run, thats when the 3'4 d does it allows our playmaking LB'S the ability to collapse the pocket, anyways yes BIG YOUNG EXPERIANCED and oh yeah jacksonville? i mean how good is there program, just because a guy cant succeed in one system might mean he's a beast in another, look at jason taylor? total failure as a redskin, but as a dolphin, magic i love sparano i think he has the FUEL AND FIRE to get anyone to give it everything. so welcome to the team to beat brother now help us kick ass and chew gum.

Date: March 24, 2009 09:57AM

Sparano said he will play at DE not NT.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: March 24, 2009 01:41PM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sparano said he will play at DE not NT.

I guess he's a warm body to fill Holiday's spot.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.