HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Hickey
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Hickey
Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: March 13, 2014 12:05PM

This was posted by Armando:

**So can Hickey fight off desperation and not sign a mid-level player for starter money because those mid-level players are going to start?**

IMO, Hickey has already done a really good job of that. Miami has had quite a few guys in that they offered contracts to and other teams ended up signing them away with outrageous contracts, that just didn't match their skills nor position.

I see Hickey continuing on unless he gets pressure from someone in the organization to sign a particular player, no matter the cost.

Besides, who says those "mid-level" players are going to start?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hickey
Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: March 13, 2014 12:19PM

Hickey's doing fine in my opinion. Armando's a Bozo. That guy likes drama.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: March 13, 2014 12:31PM

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: March 13, 2014 12:43PM

Hickey's doing fine in my opinion.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: March 13, 2014 01:00PM

Too early to judge but anything would be an improvement over Ireland so if we could just get rid of Philbin...err Philflam.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: March 13, 2014 01:23PM

On paper Hickey hasn't done a bad job thus far... We still have to see if the paper translates to the field... Last year we were offseason champs on paper that surely didn't translate to season champs on the field...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 13, 2014 02:27PM

unlike Ireland who alienated player---he would have played hardball with Gtimes and run him off by ignoring him till he "tested the market---hickey seems to be doing just fine. Ireland would have overpaid for Solia or Starks or even franchised one of them, or Grimes, instead we got Grimes at a good deal, Starks at way less than he thought he'd get, a decent replacement for Solia at much less $$ and younger, I agree we overpaid for Albert but we needed to act fact or we could have pulled a Raiders and ended up with no one. Delmas at very little $$ is a good move. I am happy so far.
The draft is where Hickey really needs to shine though, and we are wait and see on that.

Date: March 14, 2014 10:21AM

Question remains as to how deep Ross's loyalty is to Philbin. Let's suppose that Hickey's additions don't see the field.

I have never seen a man gush over another man like I saw Ross gush over Philbin when bullygate broke.

Suppose Philbin continues to mis-use the talents of the players both old and new.

Suppose Tanny keeps getting sacked a million times while staying in the pocket and on those few occasions when he does not get sacked, either overthrows or underthrows or laterally mis-throws his receivers?

Suppose they run, like last year, just enough of a few read options to have us salivating for what could be if we design more plays for him outside the pocket?

What good would curing our problem at GM do when we still have the same stubborn stupido at head coach? It's like having eesti or JSM08 at coach.

Date: March 14, 2014 11:17AM

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: March 14, 2014 03:24PM

Only time will tell which Delmas, Finnegan and Albert we will get. I would have went after Browner. Finnegan's contract seems high unless he has a Grimes like recovery

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: March 14, 2014 03:41PM

let's see what contract details are..could be an out if not on the roster opening day.

Browner is suspended first 4 games. head case. No thanks.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: March 14, 2014 04:29PM

Hickey has done well with the new additions. The team is coming together, and we will see how much more they add before the draft. Players want to come hear. The Jonathin Martin fiasco was really over blown.

Date: March 14, 2014 05:27PM

Be careful what you wish for. We got us a New GM, I'm giving him the benefit of doubt until its time not to. I like the fact that he seems to have a personality and people actually want to come play here again.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: March 14, 2014 06:56PM

That's what I said isn't it?

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 15, 2014 03:55AM

Date: March 15, 2014 08:11AM

If you believe in the theory that teams that win in March do no not win in January.....

He has done OK but many, many questionable signings. I would compare it to last season when we had lots of cap space. What did Ireland do?

1. Released two productive players and signed TWO untested FA LB'ers that hurt us on defense.

2. went overboard to sign a WR who did not live up to his contract...yet

3. Ignored the offensive line for the most part.

4. Extended a player who only played well in a contract year. Reshad Jones...and it backfired. overpaid.

5. Signed and drafted a roster FULL of injured players.

Hickey has made signings but did not go overboard.

1. He took a gamble on a FS that has the potential for big plays. Not a bad contract for one year.

2. He took one big swing and landed Branden Albert. He overspent but landed the top AVAILABLE FA LT. Monroe was never really on the market. Tannehill's blind side has been addressed...FINALLY.

3. He gambled on a FA CB with injury history and threat of declined play. He may have overspent...depending on contract detail.

4. He signed a guard at a reasonable rate who should be a dominant run blocker and adequate pass pro.

Positions of need have been addressed BUT it could go either way.

The most important part was fixing the line and I believe he has done well in that area so far. He was on the right track and tried to land a good RT but really had no chance.

The CB spot is up in the air but we still have players that were drafted high that need to step up.

Personally, I would have signed Geoff Schwartz for the 4 mil deal he got. He is probably going to play RT but is versatile and would have been a starting guard at worst case scenario.

.....................................................................................

Date: March 15, 2014 09:59AM

Date: March 15, 2014 11:02AM

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: March 16, 2014 10:14AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> None of it means a damn if Philbin refuses to play
> new players.
>
> I complained about this last year and all the
> Philbin lovers on the board wanted to blame
> Ireland (as if somehow Ireland controlled who
> played) or at least offer the apologetic for
> Philbin that "they must have been all lousy
> players and Philbin could see that so he didn't
> play them."
>
> My explanation is that Philbin spent 100 years
> working himself up the COACHING ranks and out of
> petty jealousy he just doesn't believe in someone
> getting playing time unless that person pays his
> dues by spending time on the bench. To do
> otherwise in Philbin's mind is to validate that
> Philbin spent all that time playing "second
> fiddle" because Philbin just wasn't good enough.
>
>
> Instead, Philbin would prefer to think that's the
> natural order of football....you pay your dues
> before you play.
>
> Let's just see what happens to all the talent that
> Hickey brings in (draft included) and see how much
> of it sees the field.

No sense in any of us playing psychologist here, and saying what Philbin was thinking by not playing the guys Ireland brought in.

Suffice it to say he didn't put those guys on the field very often, for one reason or another, including their first round pick that they traded up for.

With his job on the line this year, let's see what he does (or doesn't do).

Date: March 16, 2014 12:27PM

Chren you need to quick complaining about philbin.

Everything that went wrong with the phins last years and the years before was mostly irelnds fault.

It was only philbins first year.

The phins were a mess before philbin was here already.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: March 16, 2014 12:41PM

Philbin didn't not play any of the FA's that Ireland brought in (maybe he should of with Ellerbee and Wheeler), it was the draft choices that never saw the field, it remains to be seen if they were good players and JP stunted their growth because of a riff with Ireland, or if they just stunk.

Plus, the selling point on hiring an unknown commidity in Hickey was the supposed chemistry him and Philbin/Aponte would have, I doubt any of these FA moves so far weren't agreed to by Philbin.

Date: March 16, 2014 12:56PM

samsam3738 Wrote: It was only philbins first year. The phins were a mess before philbin was here already.

What???

Phlimflam is entering his 3RD year and last season we were supposed to see the vaunted "big improvement" from Y1. I didn't see it? Did you?

Other than that -- the team got WORSE as the season went on. And of course that's a compelling sign of bad coaching, poor preparation, inferior game planning and uninspired game-day execution.

Of course Ireland was the last bag of crap Biggie T left behind -- but Phlimflam is a NOT a legit N F L HC. He's a certified banquet planner and/or meeting planner. Nothing more.

And I hereby dare him to prove me wrong!

Phlimflam sucks until proven otherwise.

BNF.

Date: March 16, 2014 01:07PM

wait a minute i thought it was philbins first year....

Maybe ive had too many coronas.

Date: March 16, 2014 01:10PM

ok 2nd year.....wait to early to judge him....

This is going to be his third year in 2014.

Date: March 16, 2014 01:46PM

to early??????????

really GOOD N F L heads coaches show they are REALLY good right away!

At least in terms of distinguishing themselves as great motivators, innovators, game planners, personnel gurus, game-day luminaries, or some OTHER positive attribute that contributes significantly to the teams WINNING WAYS!

Hello???

Phlimflam is certified regurgitated (and recycled) garbage. The classic example of the dude who gets promoted to a position that greatly exceeds his threshold of competence. Hence -- he is absolutely incompetent!

OK. Let's shout that out 3 times: incompetent! incompetent! incompetent!

Beyond that -- Phlimflam is totally incapable (incapable incapable) of being a consistent WINNING N F L HC (his record will be 500 or below consistently). Phlimflam brings ZERO to the table in terms of unique skill-set and/or genius that can be leveraged into a winning formula. His only legit "formula" is cronyism and to rely on the premise that landed him a HC job -- hitch your wagon to a winner and ride along.

Well that only works when someone else is driving the wagon. But now the "leader" is exposed and incapable of being the architect because he's really NEVER built a winning structure in his life -- he just rode along.

Crony. Crony. Crony.

Phony. Phony. Phony.

Phlimflam

is a fraud.

End of story. There will be no glory.

BNF.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2014 01:54PM by BigNastyFish.

Date: March 16, 2014 02:23PM

Date: March 16, 2014 02:43PM

The best off-season move IMO = -Sherman, +Lazor!

as in politics = out with the cronies! In with the new blood!

Addition by subtraction!

We will have to wait for the old folks (criminals) to die off before the new guys get corrupted! It's a small window...

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: March 17, 2014 04:07AM

If you look at the draft almost all the players drafted were injured in some way or another when they were drafted. It was really staggering the % of those that were injured. Perhaps they never healed?

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: March 17, 2014 04:07AM

If you look at the draft almost all the players drafted were injured in some way or another when they were drafted. It was really staggering the % of those that were injured. Perhaps they never healed?

Date: March 17, 2014 04:35AM

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.