Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Is changing the NFL locker room good for pro football?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Is changing the NFL locker room good for pro football?
Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: March 01, 2014 11:19AM

Some of you might be surprised, but I say yes. Harassment has no place in a work settings sports or the office both should be treated the same. I think picking on family members, and being called offensive names have no place in a work environment. The NFL is no different. Do you guys agree ? Johnathon Martin might have saved this league from a catastrophic work place law suit by some player who got injured from this juvenile behavior.
Did any of you experience locker room bullying if so please tell us what happened. I never did because I was the one who picked on the other kids. Now that I have kids of my own I would not tolerate such treatment of my own children.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is changing the NFL locker room good for pro football?
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: March 01, 2014 01:17PM

There should never be bullying.

However, whereas in other work environments pranks are extremely confined and within strict boundaries, the NFL is a different place.

Here the problem was that Martin had mental issues that may have even stemmed back to what Calif. now calls "middle school" and what the rest of the nation probably calls "junior high."

Certainly the harassment of the Japanese assistant trainer was unforgivable because he was not another highly paid player but an employee, but so far I haven't read anything in the pranks that can be said to have "crossed the line." I think the racial taunts, if the racial taunter feels that it is all in good fun and WHERE the guy being teased takes it good naturedly too, can fit that too. But the racial taunter has to understand that what his buddy takes can cost him his teeth in any other context.

As I read the Wells report, it is hard not to feel that the writers and the NFL are adopting a "holier than thou" attitude.

Indeed, the entire NFL will be on pins and needles now and look to an uncertain future.

Now the most harmless joke can turn into another "bullygate."

I don't think it is for the better.

Normally with things like this you say "it's okay unless it gets out of hand" and everything has its extreme but I am not sure that the Dolphins of 2013 represented that "extreme."

What the Dolphins of 2013 represented was, probably, the same thing that goes on in the locker rooms of the 31 other teams but with the added element that

1) an assistant trainer of Asian descent was harassed which was bad

and

2) a guy who laughed and joked but was hurting inside and had long standing hidden mental issues broke.

But football teams, like soldiers in war, use these idiotic pranks to relieve tension, build up comrade value.

Even with Martin, what do you think Jerry and Pouncey would have done if a player from another team said something to him during a game along the lines that they themselves did? They would have beat that guy's butt.

Is getting rid of that a good thing for pro football because defending your own players, no matter how much you hate them yourselves, would also exit the game?

The game started out decades ago about friendship and since has shifted to money.

Richard Sherman may have seemed like the worst in football after that NFC championship game but do we really want to go to THE OTHER END OF THE SPECTRUM.

Do we want to hear, after a future SuperBowl, the MVP of the SuperBowl answer a reporter's question of "How do you feel winning the SuperBowl?", answer 'It's just a job, man. Come on.'"

That's what may happen as a result of this. Do I think that's a good thing? No.

Date: March 01, 2014 02:20PM

For the last time. THERE WAS NO BULLYING! OK?

J. Martin does not have what it takes to play in the NFL. He is playing the Victim only to get on another Team and keep a Pay check.

On School buses, in schools, on Kids sports absolutely. Bullying should not be tolerated. In the Adult world we need to step back and let people be accountable . When you are a 320 Lineman in the NFL and you can't handle name calling you don't belong there. Its that simple. I don't care what is said. Its B.S. all of it blown way out of proportion by the Media.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: March 01, 2014 02:23PM

Finshady Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some of you might be surprised, but I say yes.
> Harassment has no place in a work settings sports
> or the office both should be treated the same. I
> think picking on family members, and being called
> offensive names have no place in a work
> environment. The NFL is no different. Do you
> guys agree ? Johnathon Martin might have saved
> this league from a catastrophic work place law
> suit by some player who got injured from this
> juvenile behavior.
> Did any of you experience locker room bullying if
> so please tell us what happened. I never did
> because I was the one who picked on the other
> kids. Now that I have kids of my own I would not
> tolerate such treatment of my own children.

Finshady your a POS. Let me tell you why. You bullied Kids and you were fine with it until someone might bully yours? You need your ass kicked and then tell me how it feels. Then maybe you should go on facebook find the people you shit on and tell them your sorry. Until then you really don't belong in a discussion about it.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: March 01, 2014 03:04PM

Really can't we all just get along.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 01, 2014 04:04PM

there was no bullying here---a bully is someone who picks on someone physically weaker to get what he wants. in no sense can a 6-7 300+ pound man be bullied. He wasn't harassed either, in the legal sense, since illegal workplace harassment must be motivated by race, gender, or some other protected class, and here the wells report concluded this was not race based behavior.
this is just martin being a pussy and not telling anyone to stop. if he had said "stop" it would have stopped. rather than just taking the minimum of action and indicating this bothered him, he quit, ran to his parents and lawyers, embarassed the franchise, got his teammate run out of the league into a mental center, and a coach and trainer fired.
well done.

bul·ly1
?bo?ol?/Submit
verb
gerund or present participle: bullying
use superior strength or influence to intimidate (someone), typically to force him or her to do what one wants.

Date: March 01, 2014 04:21PM

Finshady Wrote:
> Some of you might be surprised, but I say yes.
> Harassment has no place in a work settings sports
> or the office both should be treated the same. I
> think picking on family members, and being called
> offensive names have no place in a work
> environment. The NFL is no different. Do you
> guys agree ? Johnathon Martin might have saved
> this league from a catastrophic work place law
> suit by some player who got injured from this
> juvenile behavior.
> Did any of you experience locker room bullying if
> so please tell us what happened. I never did
> because I was the one who picked on the other
> kids. Now that I have kids of my own I would not
> tolerate such treatment of my own children.

picking on weaker kids, just like the bible teaches, huh? I love hypocrisy

Date: March 01, 2014 04:47PM

I was 12 dive me a break really. Judge not because all of you did things at 12 you were not proud of. Just let it go, and focus on the subject.

Date: March 01, 2014 04:58PM

right, I am more focused on treating people right as an adult, when I know better

Date: March 01, 2014 05:57PM

berklely start by treating me better then because you are mean, and undisciplined on this site.

Date: March 01, 2014 06:04PM

lol

Date: March 02, 2014 06:14AM

I agree Fin, You STILL bully people if your posts here are any judge of your character. To come here and claim you won't stand for bullying , after you just discriminated against a persons most simple human right of being true to who they are as they were Born , its just kind of sickening. And Berk is 100% correct you are quite the hypocrite.

Do unto others and you would want done to yourself. Is that in the Bible? It should be.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: JC ()
Date: March 02, 2014 06:32AM

This topic is about bullying in the NFL locker room. I'd love for us to keep it that way instead of making it about each other.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: March 02, 2014 07:45AM

I don't have every past post in my mind but although I remember Finshady representing the opposite view of mine and that of Truth, I don't remember him being a person who was one of the ones that I thought being a knuckledragger. He stated his view of Christianity which is different as to how I see it but I don't believe he went overboard.

Date: March 02, 2014 10:02AM

I am reminding people of the beginning of the Lenten season which starts March 5th, and last until Easter Sunday. This year I give up speaking ill about others, and respecting all people regardless of their views. Some of you are already making it hard for me to keep my promise to God so please stop the assaults on me and my character. Also can't speak ill or yell at my children, and wife going to be a long 40 days.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: March 02, 2014 10:30AM

Finshady Wrote:
> I am reminding people of the beginning of the
> Lenten season which starts March 5th, and last
> until Easter Sunday. This year I give up speaking
> ill about others, and respecting all people
> regardless of their views. Some of you are
> already making it hard for me to keep my promise
> to God so please stop the assaults on me and my
> character. Also can't speak ill or yell at my
> children, and wife going to be a long 40 days.

Good luck Shady. I think you are going to need it. Those are some lofty goals.

I wonder, does your religion consider it speaking ill of someone if your religion already speaks ill of them?

Anyway, back to your original post. Its always a good thing when people treat other with respect, so yes...its a good thing if NFL locker rooms change.

And as much as I disagree with your stance on MANY things, I think its silly to give you a hard time over what you did as a child. I'm pretty sure we've all done something in our youth that we aren't to proud of today.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: March 02, 2014 10:43AM

It is sad that this rule is even neccessary but the phins proved it is. The focus of the locker room should be on bringing the team together and winning. Incog bragging to Long on how he almost brought Garner to kids tormenting him shows something was wrong.

Date: March 02, 2014 12:20PM

WTF? elaborate please.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: March 02, 2014 12:53PM

That should have been 'Garner to tears'. It was in the Wells report.

Date: March 02, 2014 04:41PM

makes sense now. Garner is a big man maybe Incognito is crazy, and scary too most players. I would of busted him up or hired someone to do it. That was the old Finshady now I just pray for redemption for him and all those affected by his behavior.

Date: March 02, 2014 04:55PM

It was the Line.......I used to Bully . Now I will not tolerate anyone bullying me Kids. You never said you were sorry , or that it was wrong , Only that you won't let anyone Bully YOUR kids. Then its wrong.

Guess what ? Those kids you did it too had parents also. Redemption to me is more then just words. You need to practice what you preach. get out there and help some Kids. No matter what they look like, who their God is , and yes, no matter what their sexual orientation is. Only two types of people in this world. Good ones and bad ones. Glad your trying not to be a bad one anymore.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.