HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          I hope we take Harvin!
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
I hope we take Harvin!
Posted by: Miami Troy ()
Date: March 13, 2009 12:26PM

This guy is a playmaker. He can line up all over the field. He runs great routes and Gets OPEN. He has speed to burn for long runs and RAC. Harvin in the wild cat with Ronnie in motion. I hope he falls to us and Tuna pulls the trigger.

If not I would be OK with Mathews or Cushing.

If Harvin is there at #25 I hope we don't pick a different WR.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I hope we take Harvin!
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: March 13, 2009 02:47PM

I think Cushing is the next Brian Bosworth....bust.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: March 13, 2009 05:53PM

nooooooooooo

Posted by: noetic ()
Date: March 13, 2009 09:16PM

I'm always fascinated by the fact that idiots like Mel Kiper can go on television and use meaningless words like "playmaker" or "gunslinger" and fans absolutely eat it up.

Exactly what is a playmaker? Someone who has the potential to score whenever they touch the ball? Doesn't that describe every single running back or receiver that has ever played the game of football? A girlscout has the potential to score also. Does that make her a playmaker?

Its like reading your horoscope and being amazed at how accurate it is. "As a Libra, you tend to dislike murderers but you enjoy kittens." Oh my god, its so true. Whoever wrote this horoscope is a playmaker!

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: March 14, 2009 02:55AM

I LOVED watching Harvin play, especially as a Gators fan. I thought he was by far the most dangerous weapon on the field during any and every one of Florida's SEC matchups.

That being said, I hope we don't take him, in a big way. First of all, this "great running of routes" you mention is one of the biggest knocks on him. Nobody is clamoring about his route running. He's never had to run most of the NFL routes. His admittedly impressive skills have only been solely demonstrated in Urban Meyer's non-pro offense. I still think he'll perform in the NFL, but he may be a bit of a project, even a punt returner at first. Dolphins fans couldn't stomach it if we took another 1st round punt returner.

Secondly, we have other needs. The only receiver situation I'd be ok with us acting on is if we had a chance at an Anquan Bolden type, yards after the catch, compliment to Ginn, possession receiver with much more. What people hope Hakeem Nicks will be. (Not saying he will or won't)

Finally, we need a tough, aggressive defense. We need to focus on getting physical, getting to the quarterback, stopping the run, shutting down receiver, etc. We can survive with our crop of WR for another year. What we can't afford is to give up hundreds of rushing yards to KC, thousands of receiving yards to AZ, and so on. I'm hoping we land a guy like Larry English, or someone who can play the way we need out of that position.

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: March 14, 2009 04:19AM

Harvin would be too much of a risk, and anyway I think the chance of us picking a receiver at #1 is slim to none. I think we're looking at guys like Larry English, Clay Matthews, Connor Barwin, etc or if a quality corner is still on the board, we might go 1st round with corner. I think it really does depend on who's there.

It would be exciting to see a WR pick, I would love Nicks or someone special, but we won't see it. I think we'll get a linebacker or lineman, corner, or trade down.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: March 14, 2009 04:37AM

We had better do something to improve the WR core, as we need a number #1 go to guy that would make Ginn, Bess & Camaraillo better.

Some have Maclin dropping. This kid is special and would be great in a wildcat, but it could be Heyward-bey

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 14, 2009 07:34AM

maclin is rising if anything, kiper or mcshay have raiders taking him over crabtreee

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: March 14, 2009 08:01AM

noetic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm always fascinated by the fact that idiots like
> Mel Kiper can go on television and use meaningless
> words like "playmaker" or "gunslinger" and fans
> absolutely eat it up.
>
> Exactly what is a playmaker? Someone who has the
> potential to score whenever they touch the ball?
> Doesn't that describe every single running back or
> receiver that has ever played the game of
> football? A girlscout has the potential to score
> also. Does that make her a playmaker?
>
> Its like reading your horoscope and being amazed
> at how accurate it is. "As a Libra, you tend to
> dislike murderers but you enjoy kittens." Oh my
> god, its so true. Whoever wrote this horoscope is
> a playmaker!

RMAO... point well taken, however your question on playmaker i think they mean big play ability. I am sure that you see a difference between the big play ability of a westbrook compared to a shaun alexander. That being said I am very big on harvin. Penni does not have long vision and needs a guy that can get open around the line of scrimmage and make big play. I think harvin is the first round wr that fits us best. jmo

Posted by: noetic ()
Date: March 14, 2009 08:28AM

What makes you think Bill Parcells is the type of guy who's going to draft players based on the brief success of a surprise-attack offensive package like the wildcat? What is it about Tuna's "Old-School as they get" persona that suggests he plans on drafting for a fad?

The Wildcat was great improvisation, and a needed jolt to the offense, but there's obviously a reason why it was phased out as the season went on. Teams caught on quickly. We're not going to overvalue players simply because they can be used in a package that might only be used once or twice a game.

I keep seeing ridiculous suggestions like drafting Pat White or Percy Harvin because they'd be great in the Wildcat. Others suggest ludicrous trades like Pennington for Cutler. Seriously? Others suggest trading John Beck for...well...someone not completely useless. Equally as fascinating and laughable. Do you guys even know who Parcells is? You realize we don't have idiots like Mueller or Spielman running things still, right?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2009 08:30AM by noetic.

Date: March 14, 2009 09:42AM

I am thinking they will take either Clay Mathews or Connor Barwin in the 1st round....maybe both if possible.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: March 14, 2009 07:38PM

i hope the jets do, then teboe next year.

Date: March 15, 2009 07:43PM

noetic Wrote:
> What makes you think Bill Parcells is the type of
> guy who's going to draft players based on the
> brief success of a surprise-attack offensive
> package like the wildcat? What is it about Tuna's
> "Old-School as they get" persona that suggests he
> plans on drafting for a fad?
>
> The Wildcat was great improvisation, and a needed
> jolt to the offense, but there's obviously a
> reason why it was phased out as the season went
> on. Teams caught on quickly. We're not going to
> overvalue players simply because they can be used
> in a package that might only be used once or twice
> a game.
>
> I keep seeing ridiculous suggestions like drafting
> Pat White or Percy Harvin because they'd be great
> in the Wildcat. Others suggest ludicrous trades
> like Pennington for Cutler. Seriously? Others
> suggest trading John Beck for...well...someone not
> completely useless. Equally as fascinating and
> laughable. Do you guys even know who Parcells is?
> You realize we don't have idiots like Mueller or
> Spielman running things still, right?

I dont know if you are referring to my comment but I am not saying to use harvin in the wild cat. I am not against using him their but I would make him our #1 reciever. And I do agree that the dolphins are unlikely to draft harvin. We will likely spend our first round pick on get bigger up front, that means LB, NT, or interion OL. If we go CB it is only because we are forced to...

But for harvin I would put him in the place of ginn, locate a #2 reciever and put either cam or bess in the slot. Then trade ginn for a second round pick (2009) and have 3 second round picks to get bigger inside on both defense and offense...

Date: March 16, 2009 08:31AM

You actually think a rookie who has WR is going to come in a be more successful than Ginn in his 3rd year?

I wouldn't mind drafting Harvin but not if we have to give up Ginn. You don't trade a WR going into his 3rd year.

News....

Harvin said at the Combine that he had spoken to the Dolphins and they’d like him to come to their Davie training facility for another workout subsequent to that and prior to the April 25-26 NFL draft.

Date: March 16, 2009 03:51PM

I like Harvin for his Big play ability thus the Playmaker title. You can't deny the guys speed and elusiveness. He is a big RAC guy. He also had one of the fastest 40 times at the combine. How about a little Dave Megget action with Harvin breaking it off to the HOUSE!

We have plenty of other picks to beef up the roster, 2 seconds, this guys talent would be hard for me to pas up. I'm no Gator fan either!

Date: March 16, 2009 06:17PM

He reminds me of a Reggie Bush although not as fast. They were basically the same player in college except Bush was a RB that caught the ball and Harvin was a WR that ran the ball. They are about the same size as well.

Bush has been just average at RB in the NFL and cannot stay healthy. RB is an easier position to play as a rookie/young player compared to WR. He has been just as...if not more successful, catching the ball as he is running it.

Just because you are a play maker in college does not mean it will translate to the NFL. See Peter Warrick, Reggie Bush etc.

These are my concerns about Harvin. But...by the same token, if we were to select him, I would not be disappointed because I trust SIP's evaluation and it would mean that they believe he can succeed.

There have just been too many speed guys come into the NFL lately that have not been successful and some of the so called "slower" players have enjoyed more success. The players with good hands and route skills like Hakeem Nicks.

Date: March 17, 2009 01:55PM

eesti Wrote:
> You actually think a rookie who has WR is going to
> come in a be more successful than Ginn in his 3rd
> year?
>
> I wouldn't mind drafting Harvin but not if we have
> to give up Ginn. You don't trade a WR going into
> his 3rd year.

When I think about recievers I look at a #1 as being the guy that can strecth the field and draw away safety converage, for the #2 who's job is to work the middle (15 yard region- between the LB and the safeties), the #2 is also the possession guy that moves the chain. The #3 guy is the slot guy that is shifty and can take advantage of mismatches against LB, safeties and nickle corners.

I look at ginn and harvin as playing the same roll and wonder how they would compliment eachother on the field. If we keep both I would imagine that harvin would be the guy to work the underneath since he will make plays after he catches the ball unlike ginn who has all the potential in the world but for what ever reason does not take it to the next level.

> News....
>
> Harvin said at the Combine that he had spoken to
> the Dolphins and they’d like him to come to
> their Davie training facility for another workout
> subsequent to that and prior to the April 25-26
> NFL draft.

sweet...

Date: March 18, 2009 03:29PM

Harvin had a great workout today and probably improved his stock and moved up to the top 3 WR's in the draft.

I don't think he makes it to 20.

No Dolphins reps were in attendance. Smoke screen?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2009 03:35PM by eesti.

Date: March 18, 2009 07:05PM

hey eesti you hoppin on this harvin bandwagon yet or what...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2009 07:41PM by Miami Reppa.

Date: March 19, 2009 04:20AM

I think I am. He looks great. The only reason I was down on him was his questionable route running but he did well on the route tree. Some say he is a slot guy and compare him to Wes Welker with his quickness so that would not be good for Bess but Bess doesn't have much yac ability, Harvin does. I think he could play split end because he is so physical. He will play at 202 lbs and is built like a brick uknowut.

Date: March 19, 2009 07:35AM

yeah thats the problem with a late proday, people remember what they see last. if he went earlier he could have gotten drowned out by some other guys. i started to get happy with the thought of him possibly hanging round at 25 but i agree, if the draft were tomorrow i dont think he makes it to 20...

Date: March 19, 2009 06:04PM

I think Harvin would be great WR to pair with Chad Pennington. With the underneath passed he likes to throw and Harvins's run after catch abilities, it could be a great pick. At 202 lbs, he will out-muscle cornerbacks and break tackles. A threat to score every time he touches the ball.

Ginn deep at flanker, Harvin in the slot, Camarillo at split end, Bess in 4 receiver sets.

Red Zone offense...Harvin, Camarillo, London or Fasano or Wilford.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 20, 2009 05:39AM

Willford????????????????

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Cut his butt and take a cap hit who cares.

Date: March 20, 2009 06:12AM

For what purpose? If you have to pay him you might as well keep him even if he is inactive. He will come around.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: March 20, 2009 07:18AM

Date: March 20, 2009 07:42AM

eesti Wrote:
> I think Harvin would be great WR to pair with Chad
> Pennington. With the underneath passed he likes
> to throw and Harvins's run after catch abilities,
> it could be a great pick. At 202 lbs, he will
> out-muscle cornerbacks and break tackles. A threat
> to score every time he touches the ball.

Exactly I couldnt agree more. Chad throws primarily to TE cause his vision is short. If you have this guy running short route with his RAC ability we will make our offense more explosive. I never meantioned him in the wildcat but I am sure he could find a place their as well. Maybe as the long reverse man since he is used to taking the pounding of a RB. Also the reason he did not play a traditional receiver in college is due to the system the advantage is he is a blue collar weapon now...

Date: March 20, 2009 08:48AM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
> eesti Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > For what purpose? If you have to pay him you
> might
> > as well keep him even if he is inactive. He
> will
> > come around.
>
>
> To allow you to carry a younger WR (like a brandon
> tate) that will be ready to contribute in a year.
>
> I'm all for cutting him if we have the cap space.
> Why take the double whammy of paying him the
> money AND having a dead spot on your roster that
> is innactive every week, even when you are down to
> two healthy WR's?
>
> At least bring in a guy that makes the minimum and
> can help on special teams.

Agreed!

Date: March 20, 2009 08:51AM

eesti Wrote:
> He will
> come around.

I wish you were right. I think his days as a miami dolphins are numbered.

Date: March 21, 2009 05:01AM

I still want Harvin! Although his impressive Pro Day has probably moved him up well before we pick.

Date: March 22, 2009 07:40PM

I love our reciever core, dont ge me wrong we need A 6'4 PLUS big guy to take the ball, but then i look at david martin/ fasano. so ? use the pick on a LB, or davis if he is still around, then use the second round on another LB, and well with what we picked up? i dont know i dont want to waist it on a QB put the versatility of pat white, could help out with reciveing, and the wildcat, and running play's the guy can fly and air it out, so? i mean i'm pretty sure that Clay Mathews will be our first pick, i would take him or davis if there still around then what? we got plenty of picks beyond second round to help bring in competition on the o-line or defense, so pick up a play maker which why i say either TWO linebackers, or a linebacker, and a corner back for the first two, then white as the third, then bring in a mid round wr, and alot of d and o-lineman with maybe another cb, and not to mention the unsigned rookies we will prob go after.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2009 07:42PM by dolphinsnumberonestunner.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.