HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Here you go would you draft this player
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
Here you go would you draft this player
Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: February 09, 2014 03:35PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Here you go would you draft this player
Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: February 09, 2014 04:40PM

Its not difficult at all.

If I knew he could play, was a fit for my system and that he would help my team on the field, I'd have ZERO issues drafting him or any other openly gay player.

It does create some interesting dynamics in the locker room. But if he doesn't mind showering alone, then none of the rest of it really matters.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: February 09, 2014 04:48PM

Perhaps, but I think showering alone would be the least of it.

Rick

Date: February 09, 2014 04:51PM

I can't help but think how his attraction to his naked team mates might cause a problem in the locker room. I don't know how some players will take it. Good luck to the young player because he is going to need it I think.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 09, 2014 05:08PM

I actually thinks the Phins would be more likely than anyone to draft him now for the pr, post Martin incog nonsense.
I'd be all for it if he's a good player

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: February 10, 2014 01:11AM

J Martin was praising his decision on twitter last night and re-tweeting his "come out", in fairness a lot of players were, but I couldn't help but think..........

Date: February 10, 2014 02:54AM

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: February 10, 2014 04:29AM

I'm pretty sure his stock just went down, no pun intended.

Date: February 10, 2014 07:22AM

The press is pushing for this hard. They want this story and they want to write about it everyday 20 times a day .if the NFL does not draft him they will look like homophobes and the bad press will only get worse and worse. Some WILL have to take one for the teams so to speak and will probably be rewarded in some way.......superbowls, couple of referee calls, couple of drug tests will get "lost". winking smiley Welcome to San francisco Mike! OR Miami. I can feel it. Texas would never touch him with a 10 foot pole. New England possibly ,any other feel good states? I see Ross taking a dive in this huge PR pool for himself. Its almost like a weekend soap opera that was written for us. First the Iggy /martin incident now this.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: February 10, 2014 07:38AM

The 49ers are an obvious fit........pun intended

Date: February 10, 2014 07:41AM

Butt seriously folks, the Vikes? Didn't they just have some homophobic thing happen with a kicker or a coach or something?

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: February 10, 2014 07:42AM

He could post on this board. He'd be the third deepthought along side the dolfin sisters. I mean bothers..Who knowzzzzzzzzzz.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: February 10, 2014 08:41AM

Drafttek has him rated as a third rounder. He says he told his teammates in Aug and played a full season w/ them knowing. I'm ok w/ it Mizzou had a damn good season. He is not the first and will not be the last, the guy has balls.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: February 10, 2014 09:09AM

It may be a "slight" problem, only, in that there are still some folks who are homophobic.

As has been mentioned many times by players, coaches, GMs, etc., there are gay players in the league right now, and there is no problem. Granted, players aren't positive of who, but they are aware there are gay players.

Sam is slotted to go in the mid-to late-rounds of the draft. I believe he is the SEC defensive player of the year(?), so he has the credentials.

Once he gets drafted (and he will) it is up to him to prove he belongs.

Posted by: slipstream ()
Date: February 10, 2014 10:09AM

Michael Sam has already accomplished what the entire Dolphins organization couldn't do, bring Jonathan Martin and Richie Incognito onto the same page.

Richie Incognito ? @68INCOGNITO

@MikeSamFootball #respect bro. It takes guts to do what you did. I wish u nothing but the best

Jonathan A. Martin ? @J_Martin71

Hats off to you Michael Sam, that takes some guts #respect

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: February 10, 2014 10:31AM

I think it is a little ridiculous.. And why now? I don't care what you do in your own bedroom, nor do I care to hear about it in a splash interview.... Coming out now just seems suspicious... He should have shared the info with teams in combine interviews, not the world.. Now he has created a circus, that will make our Martin/Incogonito saga look like a picnic....
Teams staying far away from him might be doing so because they want to avoid the circus that is going to be associated wit him, then his actual sexuality... That is why I think what he did was a mistake... He created a distraction for his potential team, and rookies who create immediate distractions are not valued as much as rookies who don't create distractions.... He is going to be defined by his sexuality by choice and I think that is a pretty stupid move...

Coming out to GM's in the combine interviews, and then share it with his teammates once drafted. Then after a little bit, share it with the world if that is what he wants to do. While his team mates say, yeah we have known for a while and its no big deal/non-story.. That ends the story, now the story has layers and layers of wings, that are going to be the story of the spring and summer for the NFL, himself and the team that drafts him.. That is why I question the timing and reasoning behind doing it...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2014 10:33AM by Crowder52.

Date: February 10, 2014 12:41PM

No doubt crowder, its a media wet dream. Its all you will hear about and if he is not drafted, forget about it. Alls I can say is I'm glad he's not a QB. I don't know if I'd be comfortable with him lining up behind me ........grinning smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 10, 2014 02:01PM

I don't see why he needs to hide who he is. B/c by never telling anyone he's gay, then he'd always need to lie when the subject of girlfriends and wives come up, or why he's not hitting on chicks, etc. He already told his college team and the nfl folks already knew or would find out about this before the draft, so why not get ahead of the story and just announce it and be done with it? as everyone is fond of saying, "no one cares," so everyone can just resume not caring from here on out. no biggie. by not coming forward with it, there'd be rumors, etc, which would probably hurt his draft stock and standing with teams even more

Date: February 10, 2014 02:07PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't see why he needs to hide who he is. B/c by
> never telling anyone he's gay, then he'd always
> need to lie when the subject of girlfriends and
> wives come up, or why he's not hitting on chicks,
> etc. He already told his college team and the nfl
> folks already knew or would find out about this
> before the draft, so why not get ahead of the
> story and just announce it and be done with it? as
> everyone is fond of saying, "no one cares," so
> everyone can just resume not caring from here on
> out. no biggie. by not coming forward with it,
> there'd be rumors, etc, which would probably hurt
> his draft stock and standing with teams even more

The guy already came out in August to his teammates.

If he tried to hide it leading up to the draft I doubt GM's would be impressed. In fact they'd probably feel like he was trying to pull a fast one.

Besides, he could have announced it during the Super Bowl run up and gotten 10x the coverage he's getting today.

I give the kid credit for having the guts to be first and to put his life under the microscope.

I'm not going to be cynical about his motives until he gives me a good reason.

Date: February 10, 2014 02:18PM

If he addressed it to GMs in combine interviews but said I don't want to be a distraction, so I am not going to make myself or my sexuality a distraction to your organization... They would have had more respect... A team player, now by his actions he has made himself bigger then the team... His sexuality isn't the problem it is making himself a media circus by doing a national interview making himself the poster child for Gay NFL athletes before he is actually on a team that creates the problem... How he handled it is drama in a box... That will scare a lot of GMs.

I am not sure why now, but I would say his endorsement deals as a gay NFL football player are worth a lot more then his endorsements and contract would have been worth as a mid rd pick... That is the only reason it makes any sense.... As been reported his CBS draft rating dropped close to 100 positions over night... But his endorsements by certain company's jumped up to top ten elite status, estimated in the 5 million a year range... That is reality... So what the reasoning?

If he just did it for social justice reasons, then he is going to be a distraction for his career..... If he did it for money then he is also going to be a distraction for his career.... I don't think an openly gay athlete is bad for the NFL, I actually think it will create more fans... I just think the distraction for the team that drafts him is going to be tough on the team, coach and players... Every news organization from here to China is going to follow this guy around for a long time...

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: February 10, 2014 02:33PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> If he addressed it to GMs in combine interviews
> but said I don't want to be a distraction, so I am
> not going to make myself or my sexuality a
> distraction to your organization... They would
> have had more respect... A team player, now by his
> actions he has made himself bigger then the
> team... His sexuality isn't the problem it is
> making himself a media circus by doing a national
> interview making himself the poster child for Gay
> NFL athletes before he is actually on a team that
> creates the problem... How he handled it is drama
> in a box... That will scare a lot of GMs.
>
> I am not sure why now, but I would say his
> endorsement deals as a gay NFL football player are
> worth a lot more then his endorsements and
> contract would have been worth as a mid rd pick...
> That is the only reason it makes any sense.... As
> been reported his CBS draft rating dropped close
> to 100 positions over night... But his
> endorsements by certain company's jumped up to top
> ten elite status, estimated in the 5 million a
> year range... That is reality... So what the
> reasoning?
>
> If he just did it for social justice reasons, then
> he is going to be a distraction for his
> career..... If he did it for money then he is also
> going to be a distraction for his career.... I
> don't think an openly gay athlete is bad for the
> NFL, I actually think it will create more fans...
> I just think the distraction for the team that
> drafts him is going to be tough on the team, coach
> and players... Every news organization from here
> to China is going to follow this guy around for a
> long time...

And if he shows up day one and says "I addressed that in the off season. I'm a football player. I'm not talking about my sexual preferences with the media..."

What then?

Date: February 10, 2014 02:49PM

Date: February 10, 2014 03:31PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> THE Truth Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > And if he shows up day one and says "I
> addressed
> > that in the off season. I'm a football player.
>
> > I'm not talking about my sexual preferences
> with
> > the media..."
> >
> > What then?
>
>
> I would have a lot of respect for him, but why do
> it pre draft, knowing it is going to hurt your
> value on draft day... And the endorsement offers
> and magazine covers, etc are going to be
> financially enticing to not let the distraction
> die... And if it is who he is, and he doesn't
> want to hide from it, why would he turn down the
> offers.... This guy could probably have his own
> reality show tomorrow...
>
> If he does say- I addressed that in the off
> season. I'm a football player. I'm not talking
> about my sexual preferences with the media..."
>
> That would be a truly impressive choice and
> commitment for what type of money is going to be
> thrown at him and pressure from the GLBT community
> and gay "media mafia" in hollywood...

I find it very interesting that you presume the worst from a kid you haven't even met, instead of giving him the benefit of the doubt.

If he's in it to get paid for his celebrity then you'll know soon enough, and he'll be very worthy of criticism at that time.

But until that comes to pass, if it does, he doesn't have to look far to see the way to handle this situation AND be an icon for those who would follow in his footsteps. All he has to do is look in the mirror and note the color of his skin.

Date: February 10, 2014 03:48PM

Gay people in the NFL I just don't see how this is going to help the league. I am a traditionalist, and I don't think it will be well received on an NFL team without some resentment from players that have women throw them selves at them, but this player would rather date men. I see a miserable situation for this player, and some of his team mates. This is just the reality of playing a macho sport while being gay.

Date: February 10, 2014 03:57PM

Date: February 10, 2014 04:01PM

I just question doing it pre draft..... It hurt his value, common sense for the time leading up to the draft and combine for a prospective draftee, don't hurt your draft stock... So it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me at face value.... Maybe he was getting ahead of a story that was about to come out..
The timing doesn't make much sense to me personally... Maybe his advisors and agents should know a lot more then me what they are doing, and it will be a positive, I just don't see it being a positive to do a national interview of this kind pre draft.... Somebody in his camp had to say here is a whiteboard, lets line up the positives and negatives, when and how you should do this...

Nietzsche

Date: February 10, 2014 04:50PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> I just question doing it pre draft..... It hurt
> his value, common sense for the time leading up to
> the draft and combine for a prospective draftee,
> don't hurt your draft stock... So it just doesn't
> make a lot of sense to me at face value.... Maybe
> he was getting ahead of a story that was about to
> come out..

But he "came out" in August. Do you really think 100 people are going to keep it quiet through the draft?

> The timing doesn't make much sense to me
> personally... Maybe his advisors and agents should
> know a lot more then me what they are doing, and
> it will be a positive, I just don't see it being a
> positive to do a national interview of this kind
> pre draft.... Somebody in his camp had to say here
> is a whiteboard, lets line up the positives and
> negatives, when and how you should do this...

If they were looking for non stop coverage of the event they would have done it the week before the super bowl.

He didn't. I think that shows respect for the game. I think he did it now so that its out of the way and "old news" by the time the draft rolls around.

Who knows for sure? I guess I'm just willing to give the kid the benefit of the doubt until he proves he doesn't deserve it, even if some are a bit more skeptical.

Date: February 10, 2014 06:28PM

And just be fore warned if he ever asks you if you want a protein shake.........cool smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: February 11, 2014 12:16AM

If he can play and help the team get better while minding his own buisiness and he's the best player on the board when you pick...then you draft him. Gay or not, it does not matter.

That said, if you do take him everyone has to follow the rules. Pun intended.

Date: February 11, 2014 02:24AM

You didn't hear it till now, so 100 people kept it quiet for what 6 months being around the media week in week out during the season... So no, 2.5 more months plus doesn't seem so far fetched... Come on give me a break.... There are gay players in the NFL that their team mates know they are gay but not one of the team mates have spilled the beans or reporter written about...

Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2014 02:31AM by Crowder52.

Pages: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.