HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Running qb's cant...
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Running qb's cant...
Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: February 03, 2014 07:57PM

Win the superbowl... Russel Wilson has shown me nothing, he moves around to much... to be a great qb you have to be a pure "pristine" pocket passers, and unless he stops moving around so much and sits in the pocket he will never be great.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Running qb's cant...
Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: February 04, 2014 02:07PM

Well he did however his defense won it he only came along for the ride.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: February 04, 2014 03:12PM

If that is true then Griese was along for the ride too in '72/'73. Wilson reminded me of Griese and Trakenton from back in the day. Oppurtunistic runs and pristine passes.

The Seahawks would not have been in the superbowl w/ out that guy.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: February 04, 2014 05:39PM

Reppa ????

Try the opposite. Pocket passers are old school you have to be mobile. Wilson makes decisions and avoids pressure way better than Tannehill. Evades rush and runs for firsts on third down, and can hit the WR deep even in tight defenses. Way better decision maker. The kids Fran tarkenton like. They may have the best defensive, and toughest division in Football, Niners, Rams & Cardinals all have good defenses

Rumor is guys are going to resign for less to play there. If so, this could be a dynasty in the making, but its tough to pass up the ridiculous contracts some teams offer, ask Mike Wallace!

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 05, 2014 03:34AM

"Guys" = One player that I've heard rumored to be willing to take less to stay in Seattle..And that's Golden Tate. Not like he would have been a hot item in FA to begin with...he's not that good.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: February 05, 2014 08:02AM

im just bating those old school guys I have been arguing with for a few years now... Only 2 years ago when RG3, Wilson was coming into the league and cam was in his first year throwing for 4000 yards I felt like a lone voice on this board telling people that there is no such thing as "running" qb, running is merely an option in the read progression and it is "mobile/ dual" threat qb

Funny after only 2 years I think it is quite clear that a mobile QB has a huge advantage over a pocket passer...

Where are all those "PURE" pocket supporters at!!!! lol

Date: February 05, 2014 08:07AM

Finshady Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well he did however his defense won it he only
> came along for the ride.

yeah, 18 att/ 25comp/ 206 yds/ 2TD's/ qbr= 123.1

Yes that is along for the ride lol... you care to say that pure pocket passing is superior to mobile qb's? and that there is a such thing as a running qb?

That was your position 2 years ago... well what say you!

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 05, 2014 01:07PM

When I think of a running quarterback, I think of Randall Cunningham.

Not even "Scrambling" Fran Tarkenton was a RUNNING quarterback. He was a scrambler who used his elusiveness to avoid being sacked behind the line of scrimmage.

Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick (and Ryan Tannehill under one of their coaches) would not be a "running quarterback" but merely quarterbacks who know how to extend a play when that play develops OUTSIDE the pocket. RGIII is a similar type of quarterback.

I don't think there is a true "running" quarterback in the NFL.

Date: February 05, 2014 03:11PM

there was... his name is tim tebow... he is now making superbowl commercials ha ha...

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: February 05, 2014 06:27PM

Wilson isn't a running QB, they don't run him anything like kaepernick. He runs mainly to escape the rush and when he sees the opportunity.

Wilson reminds me a lot of Fran Tarkenton for those that remember him

Date: February 06, 2014 06:26PM

jlyell13 Wrote:
> Wilson isn't a running QB, they don't run him
> anything like kaepernick. He runs mainly to
> escape the rush and when he sees the opportunity.
>
>
> Wilson reminds me a lot of Fran Tarkenton for
> those that remember him

there is no such thing as a running qb... the debate was pocket passers vs guys that are not pocket passers ie mobile qbs... the belief as recent as 2 years ago was mobile qbs cant develop as passers because they move around to much... you had to be a pocket passer because that is the way the game is meant to be played. I think it is quite clear that is not true... infact mobile qb's are what you need.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 06, 2014 06:35PM

I see what you mean reppa. I was mistaken as to that.

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: February 07, 2014 05:59AM

I'd take Wilson he is clearly better then Tannehill.

Date: February 07, 2014 03:53PM

dolphin Wrote:
> I'd take Wilson he is clearly better then
> Tannehill.

How is that so clear? Explain that instead of making dumb statements repeatedly.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: LUDUPORCU ()
Date: February 07, 2014 04:59PM

Miami Reppa Wrote:
> jlyell13 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Wilson isn't a running QB, they don't run him
> > anything like kaepernick. He runs mainly to
> > escape the rush and when he sees the
> opportunity.
> >
> >
> > Wilson reminds me a lot of Fran Tarkenton for
> > those that remember him
>
>
> there is no such thing as a running qb... the
> debate was pocket passers vs guys that are not
> pocket passers ie mobile qbs... the belief as
> recent as 2 years ago was mobile qbs cant develop
> as passers because they move around to much... you
> had to be a pocket passer because that is the way
> the game is meant to be played. I think it is
> quite clear that is not true... infact mobile qb's
> are what you need.

Any--repeat, ANY--"mobile QB" really MUST be able to pass the ball from the "pocket". TANNEHILL would be great at it, i/m/h/o, IF ONLY MIAMI WOULD LET HIM be both mobile and a true "pocket passer". I know that many of you don't live down here in the "greater MIAMI-FT. LAUDERDALE" area. I do, and watch ALL the games (including preseason). So MANY, MANY times, I see TANNEHILL standing in the "pocket" for like a "4 Mississippi" count, and then he just tucks the ball away and protects it, and stands right there while waiting to be sacked. That's the way it looks to me, and I have to believe that the MIAMI heirarchy doesn't really want TANNEHILL to run at all, EVER, and has actually ORDERED him to tuck the ball away after "4 Mississippi", and go down quickly and w/as little contact as possible...protecting both himself and the ball. Given the ease with which running QBs get beat up, and the value of a QB who's even just very good and not quite "topshelf", I can't argue w/ the approach. It's merely very conservative.

But TANNEHILL HAS THE ABILITY to run, and make teams pay for cheating. I would let him do so, and just tell him to be sure to "chicken-slide" before getting hit.

It's ironic. I see some of MARINO in TANNEHILL, with reference to mobility and "scrambling". DON'T BE AMAZED, or even amused. MARINO, i/m/h/o, was one of the best scramblers ever! It's just that it was hard to notice, because MARINO did 99.9% of his "scrambling" INSIDE THE POCKET!!! Remember? A little 3 or 4 step ChaChaCha to the left, followed by a 3 step Waltz to the right, then taking 2 steps up in the "pocket"? By that time you've given MARINO "7 Mississippi" to find an open man, so all that was left for you to do was to bend over and kiss your ass good-bye? I've seen some of that footwork from TANNEHILL, and when you put that together w/his pure running ability, and excellent arm, TANNEHILL could be not just a true 21st Century NFL QB, but one to be feared.

But it takes both good coaching of TANNEHILL and incorporating EVERYTHING that he has to offer into MIAMI's offensive scheme.

Did I say "good coaching"??? OH! Sorry! I lost mine head! I forgot that we're talking about the MIAMI DOLPHINS, whose HC and OWNER are TWEEDLE-DEE and TWEEDLE-DUMB, respectively!

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: February 08, 2014 04:54AM

Except that RT this past season was attempting a throw in an average well below 3 seconds due to the O-line allowing pretty close to immediate pressure.

I hope they get the line fixed so we can see what he REALLY has to offer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.