HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Jay Cutler
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Jay Cutler
Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: March 11, 2009 05:12AM

The situation in Denver is not getting any better. Cutler seems ticked off that the Broncos considered trading him. He still believes that he could be traded and may even want to be traded.

I'm curious if Parcells and Ireland would consider trying to package Pennington for Cutler. In the short term (2009), the move may not help us. In the long term, it would give us two guys (Cutler and Henne) who are considered franchise QB's. I'm not usually a fan of what-if trade scenarios; but this one is most appealing. Having two good young QB's would be an incredibly enviable position to be in.

Thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jay Cutler
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: March 11, 2009 06:39AM

Where is Leon in Denver at? How is all the reception up there?

Leon.....are you out there?

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: March 11, 2009 06:40AM

Screw Cutler. He is a punk. All he does is whine and cry about this and that and brag about about how great his arm is and that he is better than John Elway and bla, bla, bla.

I don't usually do this but I have to agree with Mel Kiper. He says he reminds him of Jeff George....who was another strong armed, whiney &*^%$.

I just want to smack him every time I see him speak in an interview. I think it's funny that his new boss told him that he was expendable.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: March 11, 2009 07:17AM

The talent is undeniable, but he has been pretty inconsistent in his short career. He'll have brilliant games nestled into very pedestrian or even poor games. He also throws a lot of interceptions, having only accumulated 10 games in about 2.5 seasons in which he has not thrown one or more interceptions.

I am personally not in favor of moving Penny this year. I am not against acquiring Cutler but, if Parcells & Crew are convinced about Henne, then I wouldn't spend a lot to get him. And, I'm guessing that there are enough QB-starved teams out there that our bid would be too low if we bid at all.

Date: March 11, 2009 07:18AM

The key is that we may have a QB in Pennington that they could want.

When Denver was looking at a possible trade a few weeks ago, the QB they were hoping to get was Matt Cassel. If they would want Cassel over Cutler, they might want Pennington over Cutler also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2009 07:53AM by Northeast Fin Fan.

Posted by: fxxkthebills ()
Date: March 11, 2009 07:22AM

Cutler in Miami?....i'd love it, but it would never happen. He's becoming a prima-donna and getting a little too big for his own ego.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: March 11, 2009 08:16AM

The whole philosophy is to build thru the draft so we don't have to make ridiculous trades and spend buku money on big name free agents.

We have Henne in waiting. He is being mentored by one of the smartest QB in the league. You could not ask for a better scenario. We only spent more money in FA last year because it was a total makeover job.

Getting Cutler here would say to Henne that "we don't think your capable". This is the exact message that the Bronco's are sending to Cutler and is threatening to tear the team apart. Huge mistake. Now Cutler is talking about holding out of off-season workouts. The same thing a lot of you ripped JT for last year. FTB is right. He is a primadonna.

This is not how you want to start off under a new regime. They already have problem child, Brandon Marshall at WR. Now an unhappy franchise QB and nobody to replace him other than Chris Simms.

No offense NFF but why would we want to make Denver's problems our problems? The whole scenario is ludicrous and will NEVER happen.

You want to learn how to build a franchise...look at KC this year or Miami and Atlanta from last year. You want to learn how to destroy one, look at Denver and Buffalo.

I would not trade Chad Pennington for Cutler even up. The plan is in place. The chemistry is great. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: March 11, 2009 08:34AM

I should have made my point more clear. The goal in getting Cutler would be to trade either Cutler or Henne, with Cutler the most likely to go. There is undoubtedly a huge market for Cutler's services; however not many teams have a good QB that they can offer in return. With no can't miss QB's in the draft, the Broncos would want a QB in return. We have the weapons to make a move for Cutler and then sell him at a profit. So let's say we package Pennington and a 3rd rounder (not sure if that would be enough) for Cutler. Then we move Henne into the starting job and trade Cutler. If we were comfortable with Henne at QB this year, we could certainly get at least a 1st and a 3rd for Cutler. The end result would be like getting a first round pick for Pennington. Remember - Penningon is a FA after 2009. Regardless of anything else that happens, by 2010 or sooner, Henne will be our starter and Pennington will no longer be our starting QB - perhaps not even on the team.

Despite this, perhaps a 3-way trade would be worth looking at. That would help us avoid the risk of bringing in Cutler. The question is this "is Henne ready to start now?" If he is and if we could end up with a first rounder for Pennington, I think it is something we would have to look at.

And yes, it may be a crazy idea; but I thought I would float it out there.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: March 11, 2009 09:07AM

Date: March 11, 2009 09:12AM

I said Pennington and 3rd and maybe that wouldn't be enough. I didn't say just Pennington for Cutler.

If the Bucs really offered that, are there any top flight QB's in this draft that would interest the Broncos? Think about it - they tried to get Matt Cassel. Maybe Pennington's value to the Broncos is higher than you think right now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2009 09:17AM by Northeast Fin Fan.

Date: March 11, 2009 09:22AM

It's funny. Some people wouldn't want Cutler even if it was a straight up trade for Pennington. Others feel like there is no way our offer (even if it included a pick) would be enough to meet their demands. My personal view if I were the Broncos is that I would want to keep Cutler; and no way would I have wanted Cassel over Cutler. But now the Broncos' relationship with Cutler is damaged, which could mean that he is traded and could mean that he goes for less than his normal trade value. All I am saying is that funny trades happen when a team and player have a strained relationship. If that happens, why not try to use our resources to benefit from it?

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 11, 2009 04:30PM

Northeast Fin Fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's funny. Some people wouldn't want Cutler even
> if it was a straight up trade for Pennington.
> Others feel like there is no way our offer (even
> if it included a pick) would be enough to meet
> their demands.

Both statements are true--it would take way more than Penny to get a deal done for him (try him and a first round pick at least) and I wouldn't want Cutler on my team for nothing--he is a pu$$Y

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: March 13, 2009 02:24PM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> Where is Leon in Denver at? How is all the
> reception up there?
>
> Leon.....are you out there?

Here I am.
Been in Venice, Florida. Bought a vacation home there. Anyone want to try it out, let me know.

Cutler stays in Denver and that is fact and that is where we should all want him. Big baby. Thinks he is the next coming of Farve. Well, with the new coaching staff, he will become controlled or it will be Seeee Ya.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: March 14, 2009 05:40AM

Leon In Denver Wrote:
> Here I am.
> Been in Venice, Florida. Bought a vacation home
> there. Anyone want to try it out, let me know.

Leon, make that Venice, Italy and I'll take you up on that offer grinning smiley

Glad to see you're still around. (I'll bet you got that place for a great price!)

Count me in the camp that does NOT want Cutler for the same reasons listed above.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: March 14, 2009 07:37AM

No way I'd trade for Cutler. Pennington teaching Henne and Beck for another year is a good thing and will give us two quality well prepared players to choose from on the day Pennington does leave.

Then we draft another guy to groom as the #3.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 15, 2009 07:38AM

Jay Cutler is a joke.

Remember when we played Denver. He had one bad play and essentially folded. It was our defenses best game last year.

No way would I want this guy.

Date: March 15, 2009 07:41AM

If we trade Pennington for Cutler, I'm officially going to jump on the fire Parcells bandwagon.

That would be the kind of move Wannspeil would make.

Date: March 15, 2009 07:48AM

Date: March 15, 2009 07:50AM

Jay Cutler?
Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: March 15, 2009 01:49PM

With Josh McDaniel's mishandling of this scenario big time, could we swap Pennington for Cutler? Chad is a proven vet which they likley won't have if they move Cutler for draft picks

A WR possibility in the 2nd I forgot about is Louis Murphy.

Date: March 15, 2009 02:59PM

ghotirule Wrote:
> The goal in getting Cutler would be to trade
> either Cutler or Henne...
>
> That makes no sense. You propose trading
> Penninton for Cutler, then Henne for someone
> else?
>
> So we are left with a depth of Cutler, Beck, and
> ??? instead of Pennington, Henne, and Beck? I'm
> glad you aren't the GM.

Read much Einstein? Here is what I said "we move Henne into the starting job and trade Cutler."

Trade Cutler; keep Henne.

The goal would be to get something out of Pennington while we can. You do know that he is a FA after 2009, right? No matter how you look at it, in all likelihood we will have Henne and Beck in 2010.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2009 03:02PM by Northeast Fin Fan.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: March 15, 2009 03:09PM

Northeast Fin Fan Wrote:
> The goal would be to get something out of
> Pennington while we can. You do know that he is a
> FA after 2009, right?

How about using CP as a mentor to Henne? Worked for Marino (with Strock)! By 2010 CP might sign with us for less money, or maybe we could just let him go. Either way, I'd rather have him as long as we can to teach Henne. Cutler won't teach Henne anything except how to complain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2009 03:10PM by montequi.

Date: March 15, 2009 03:15PM

Do you think Pennington will sign with us for less money to be a backup if he could sign elsewhere to start and earn more money? NO way will that happen. Any QB that is worth anything wants to start - especially a guy in his thirties, who has no long-term background with his current team and definitely still feels he can start and succeed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2009 03:21PM by Northeast Fin Fan.

Date: March 15, 2009 03:30PM

Date: March 15, 2009 03:33PM

Life's certainties
death
taxes
fishrule picking fights

I clarified my view. You can call it what you want; but my clarification came before your first post.

And I wouldn't worry about me looking like an a-hole. It doesn't seem to bother you that you do.

Date: March 15, 2009 03:35PM

Yes, in that scenario, I would probably prefer to trade Cutler; but it doesn't change the fact that I would rather have Cutler than Pennington right now.

Date: March 15, 2009 03:42PM

Date: March 15, 2009 03:45PM

Date: March 15, 2009 03:48PM

Date: March 15, 2009 03:49PM

I said nothing about trading Henne and there was no mention of a player to be named later.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.