HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Philbin overruled on Albert trade
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Philbin overruled on Albert trade
Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: January 23, 2014 04:31AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Philbin overruled on Albert trade
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 23, 2014 04:59AM

This show's that Philbin does know a thing or two about players. Hopefully the next GM won't be so much "my way or the highway" and will actually give the coaches what they ask for. And if he thinks they are wrong, hopefully he still gives them what they want, but hedges the bet by getting or keeping someone he thinks is the answer.

That way the team has both options and they can pick the best one on the field.

Date: January 23, 2014 05:05AM

No doubt the Martin fiasco was completely on Ireland. He drafted a Big Mommas boy. It bit him HARD.,

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: January 23, 2014 05:23AM

"Un-named source" really?

Could be Philbin himself.

As I recall much of the problem with the line was up the middle and on the right side.

File this "breaking news" with the others in the cabinet labelled "Blame Game" while we wait for the next play-off game NOT involving a Miami team.

The Clown Show Continues

-

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: January 23, 2014 07:00AM

Yea I do NOT trust the timing of this at all. And beyond that -- I cannot believe if Phlimflam went to Ireland and made his case for Albert -- with the assurance the move was 100% essential to the team -- the transaction would have been declined.

Beyond that -- if Phlimflam was refused there was nothing to stop him from going to Ross and making his case -- either way I find the situation total OBVIOUS BS.

These jerks are just trying to quell the rising negativity and fan-base support to fire Phlimflam and move in an entirely new direction. Most of us have already concluded the current regime is NOT the answer.

And even better yet -- sell the team to a qualified owner.

Get the stink out of town.

We’ve had enough experience with losers to smell them in our own backyard.

BNF.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 23, 2014 10:12AM

You are BNF and incapable of having a scam put over on you.

Date: January 23, 2014 10:25AM

And what are we going hear next? A series of statements such as Sherman rejected Philbin's advice on all those 4th and 1 plays and Sherman rejected Philbin's advice to get Tanny out of the pocket more so that his athletic abilities could be used to their maximum and Sherman rejected Philbin's halftime advice when Philbin told him that although we were running a successful offense in the first half, we should anticipate that they are going to adjust and provide for that adjustment or that COYLE REJECTED PHILBIN'S ADVICE TO ADJUST TO THE OTHER TEAMS' SECOND HALF ADJUSTMENTS.

Date: January 23, 2014 10:47AM

The ONLY reason Philbin has survived to this point is because he's "one of Ross' inside guys." Phlimflam is a corporate insider who knows how to ass kiss and provide that "veneer of corporate integrity" that dudes like Ross love.

But Phlimflam is otherwise exposed. He's NOT a creative innovative high-flying offensive mind -- far from it. He's a highly competent meeting coordinator and paperclip organizer. But he's not the football savant Ross supposedly was on the hunt for.

Sure enough -- when push comes to shove -- Ross will revert to his default position on any and all decisions -- hire the best corporate clone available and forget about this football stuff. Ross wants to know if the candidate looks spiffy in his Brooks Brothers blue pinstriped suit and wingtip shoes!

True Story!

BNF.

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: January 23, 2014 12:09PM

Say what you want about Philbin, but it comes as no surprise that Ireland once again was wrong in player evaluation. It's no one's fault but Ireland's that in all the years he drafted players here, only two made a pro bowl. Cam Cameron had that much success in one draft (Fields and Solei) and we all know how much of a buffoon he was. Ireland was a huge reason this team has stunk the past few years. He wouldn't know a blue chip player if one ran up to him and screamed in his ear. Unfortunately, we have to rely on Ross to replace him with someone who can evaluate talent better. Now that Farmer has withdrawn his name, the options and the pickings are getting more and more slim.

Date: January 23, 2014 01:16PM

Fins72 Wrote: Say what you want about Philbin

Thank you. I will...

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 23, 2014 02:10PM

this is just a symptom of more of the same dysfunctions that's been infecting the team for years. Speilman wanted Boldin, Wanny wanted Eddie Moore. Parcells wanted Pat White, Ireland didn't. All the bad moves made while Parcells was here was not Ireland's fault. Now Philbin wanted Albert and Ireland didn't. This is what happens when people are not on the same page and some are kept while others are dumped. This is why our team is a joke.

Date: January 23, 2014 02:30PM

First and foremost -- I dig the string of dysfunctional examples!

Well done. And totally fitting.

In a weird parallel universe sort of twisted brilliant irony way -- we've managed to write the book on screwing the pooch and still have the 7teen and OH on our historical resume!

I mean how awesome is that?

BNF.

Date: January 23, 2014 08:46PM

BNF said "Thank you I will."

I merely am saying that until we get better talent on this team, who coaches the team is irrelevant. This team does not have sufficient talent to realistically compete for a championship regardless of who's coaching. My concern is that it's looking more and more like Gaine is going to be GM and if he learned player evaluation from Ireland, we're doomed.

Date: January 23, 2014 09:10PM

Fins72, with that same talent, we went 5-3 against playoff teams.

Unfortunately, we also went 3-5 against non play off teams.

Two of those losses were the last two losses of the season wherein we were playing the Bills and the Jets, neither of which made the playoffs and when a win against either of them would have put us in the playoffs.

Yes, you can say those losses were on the players but if we are talking about lacking talent, I see Pouncey, part of that o line was selected to a Pro Bowl Roster.

The reality is that bad rosters CAN'T (that is cannot as in it's impossible) beat good teams.

The fact that we won 5 out of 8 against good teams during the course of the regular season may not prove we had enough talent to win the SuperBowl but it is difficult to maintain that that same Roster sucks.

At the same time when that same team goes 3-5 against teams not making the playoffs, it's head scratching time and time to look beyond the roster.

The easiest explanation in sports for failure to win a championship is that simply "our team isn't good enough".

But that explanation gets more difficult when trying to explain why we didn't make the playoffs.

Particularly when our last two losses were against teams that suck while we won 5 games against playoff teams.

Date: January 24, 2014 01:51AM

ChyrenB, a case could be made that with an historically bad offensive line, no running game, and two new linebackers who couldn't tackle a six year old, the team overachieved at 8-8. Philben likely should have been fired mainly because it impairs the team's ability to attract a top notch GM. Whether he's a decent coach or not is just hard to say with the glaring holes that Ireland left the team with last year.

Date: January 24, 2014 11:14AM

Fins72, my main complaint against Philbin was the playcalling and the failure to play guys on the bench except in case of injury.

Well most thought Sherman was the sole guy on playcalling. I don't think so but I have no evidence.

But all that said, I just disagree with you because talent was not the problem with this team. It was the use of that talent.

Let me ask you one thing, what if Lazor comes in (and I don't think he will be fettered or bound by Philbin at all) and Tanny runs more read option plays and we skyrocket to the top of the AFC?

Well I guess the Philbin supporters would just say, "Hey, that just proves that Sherman was the problem."

I'd say instead, even Philbin was not so much a knucklehead as to try to impose the same system on Lazor that he and Sherman ran.

Yeah, I think it was the coaching. As I said, the last two games were on the players but there were earlier losses that was on coaching decisions.

Specifically in two games WELL AFTER IT WAS ESTABLISHED THAT TANNEHILL WAS JUST A SACK DUMMY FOR OTHER TEAMS, in crucial situations where we were in field goal range, he had Tanny back passing and in game 1 Tanny was sacked and we were taken out of field goal range and in game 2, the next week, Tanny was sacked and actually fumbled and the other team recovered and that effectively ended the game.

One can ALWAYS say, "if the players had only executed" but at some point that becomes SILLY.

What if you were losing by TWO POINTS BUT with 5 minutes left to go in the game and you were at mid field fourth down and 10. Suppose the coach has the kicker go back and try a 70 yard field goal which he promptly misses giving the other team the ball at mid field and they run 4 minutes and 30 seconds off the clock and make a touchdown.

Now we're down by 9 with 30 seconds left on the clock, but you coach defenders would say "WELL IF THE KICKER HAD JUST MADE THAT 70 YARD FIELD GOAL........."

Come on, you can ALWAYS blame the players like you can always blame the coach but at some point, you have to assess WHERE THE MOST BLAME LIES.

In the last two games, the blame lied with the players but in several previous losses, the blame was all on the coaches.

Date: January 24, 2014 12:59PM

In the words of the great Don Shula -- the Head Coach is 100% responsible for the product on the field!

Sure, players play. And what team couldn't use "more talent?"

Philbin's TEAM (his 100% responsibility) tanked (choked and otherwise demonstrated zero evidence of being inspired) the last 2 games of the year -- with the playoffs at stake. Not only that -- they were severely out-played and out-coached and scored 1 (can you believe that -- ONE!!!) TD in 8 quarters!!!

Now keep in mind Joe Phlimflam was hired to produce a "high-flying" offensive football machine. What an absolute joke that turned out to be!

So, at the end of his 2nd year -- he fails on ALL FRONTS and his "OCD manic inspired every direction at the same time" wunderkind Offensive Machine nurtured throughout TC sports an impressive .125 (point one-two-five) TDs per quarter (a whopping .875 points per quarter!) at the end of the year!

Oh lord.

Sorry. End of story.

Phlimflam's inability to create the semblance of a winning game-plan and motivate / inspire HIS TEAM to win a least one (ONE!) game against Buffalo or NY to get into the playoffs is (as they say) evidence beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is NOT up to the task of being a legit NFL head coach.

So, if you're a bona fide fan of the Dolphins, and have any expectation of seeing this team somehow become a factor in the league in the future, getting rid of Philbin is now #1 priority (unless of course we can motivate Ross to unload the team)!

Anything is better than no hope at all -- and that's precisely what we have with this regime. It’s a dead horse at the gate. So there's no race to run.

Date: January 24, 2014 03:04PM

One thing that would grate on me to see would be if Lazor comes in and completely revamps the outlook of the team.

Then Philbin, playing politics will decide that the smart thing for him to do is to let this all be on Lazor.

Then our offense will become successful. Up will step Philbin to BECOME THE BIGGEST LIAR IN THE WORLD and say that the success was all due to cooperation between Him and Lazor and that Lazor was willing to run the offense Sherman refused to run and that THOSE FACTORS EXPLAINS not only the success of 2014 BUT THE FAILURE of 2013.

Date: January 24, 2014 03:05PM

But I'm happy for the Lazor hiring....and optimistic!

Date: January 24, 2014 08:02PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fins72, with that same talent, we went 5-3 against
> playoff teams.
>
> Unfortunately, we also went 3-5 against non play
> off teams.
>
> Two of those losses were the last two losses of
> the season wherein we were playing the Bills and
> the Jets, neither of which made the playoffs and
> when a win against either of them would have put
> us in the playoffs.
>
> Yes, you can say those losses were on the players
> but if we are talking about lacking talent, I see
> Pouncey, part of that o line was selected to a Pro
> Bowl Roster.
>
> The reality is that bad rosters CAN'T (that is
> cannot as in it's impossible) beat good teams.
>
> The fact that we won 5 out of 8 against good teams
> during the course of the regular season may not
> prove we had enough talent to win the SuperBowl
> but it is difficult to maintain that that same
> Roster sucks.
>
> At the same time when that same team goes 3-5
> against teams not making the playoffs, it's head
> scratching time and time to look beyond the
> roster.
>
> The easiest explanation in sports for failure to
> win a championship is that simply "our team isn't
> good enough".
>
> But that explanation gets more difficult when
> trying to explain why we didn't make the
> playoffs.

RE: It's also easiest to simply say "the coach isn't good enough." It's more than both of those things in reality. And to say the team isn't good enough to me means exactly that, the team isn't good enough...and team, includes the players, all of the coaches, the GM, the scouts, the trainers, the owner, and in our case, us, the fans because we don't do our jobs well enough either as the twelveth man.
>
> Particularly when our last two losses were against
> teams that suck while we won 5 games against
> playoff teams.

Date: January 24, 2014 08:08PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Fins72, my main complaint against Philbin was the
> playcalling and the failure to play guys on the
> bench except in case of injury.
>
> Well most thought Sherman was the sole guy on
> playcalling. I don't think so but I have no
> evidence.
>
> But all that said, I just disagree with you
> because talent was not the problem with this team.
> It was the use of that talent.
>
> Let me ask you one thing, what if Lazor comes in
> (and I don't think he will be fettered or bound by
> Philbin at all) and Tanny runs more read option
> plays and we skyrocket to the top of the AFC?
>
> Well I guess the Philbin supporters would just
> say, "Hey, that just proves that Sherman was the
> problem."
>
> I'd say instead, even Philbin was not so much a
> knucklehead as to try to impose the same system on
> Lazor that he and Sherman ran.
>
> Yeah, I think it was the coaching. As I said, the
> last two games were on the players but there were
> earlier losses that was on coaching decisions.
>
> Specifically in two games WELL AFTER IT WAS
> ESTABLISHED THAT TANNEHILL WAS JUST A SACK DUMMY
> FOR OTHER TEAMS, in crucial situations where we
> were in field goal range, he had Tanny back
> passing and in game 1 Tanny was sacked and we were
> taken out of field goal range and in game 2, the
> next week, Tanny was sacked and actually fumbled
> and the other team recovered and that effectively
> ended the game.
>
> One can ALWAYS say, "if the players had only
> executed" but at some point that becomes SILLY.
>
> What if you were losing by TWO POINTS BUT with 5
> minutes left to go in the game and you were at mid
> field fourth down and 10. Suppose the coach has
> the kicker go back and try a 70 yard field goal
> which he promptly misses giving the other team the
> ball at mid field and they run 4 minutes and 30
> seconds off the clock and make a touchdown.
>
> Now we're down by 9 with 30 seconds left on the
> clock, but you coach defenders would say "WELL IF
> THE KICKER HAD JUST MADE THAT 70 YARD FIELD
> GOAL........."
>
> Come on, you can ALWAYS blame the players like you
> can always blame the coach but at some point, you
> have to assess WHERE THE MOST BLAME LIES.
>
> In the last two games, the blame lied with the
> players but in several previous losses, the blame
> was all on the coaches.

RE: Truth is the blame is on everyone...Ross, Ireland, Philbin, all other coaches, and every single player on the roster. If every one of those people does his job ajust a tiny bit better last season we are in the playoffs easilly.

They didn't and here we are...

Date: January 24, 2014 09:06PM

I agree every element had SOME blame.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: January 25, 2014 05:07PM

It makes sense, actually. Do you remember what was said on this board because of Albert's asking price and the way he had played this year up to that point in the season? Most posters said "NO!" very loudly in one way or another.

Rick

Date: January 25, 2014 05:15PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> this is just a symptom of more of the same
> dysfunctions that's been infecting the team for
> years. Speilman wanted Boldin, Wanny wanted Eddie
> Moore. Parcells wanted Pat White, Ireland didn't.
> All the bad moves made while Parcells was here was
> not Ireland's fault. Now Philbin wanted Albert and
> Ireland didn't. This is what happens when people
> are not on the same page and some are kept while
> others are dumped. This is why our team is a
> joke.

You're talking about three different owners, several different coaches, and three different GM's. What, in your view, is the common denominator? The city, the fans?

Rick

Date: January 25, 2014 05:31PM

"In the words of the great Don Shula -- the Head Coach is 100% responsible for the product on the field!"

So he was, at the time he said it. However, he was was also his own acting GM at that time, so he both brought in the players and coached them. That isn't the case with Philbin. In his case, it can only be said that he is 100% responsible for the product on the field within the limits of the players that have been given to him.

As an aside, Shula was far more successful with the players he was given by GM Joe Thomas than he ever was with the players he selected when he was his own GM.

Rick

Date: January 25, 2014 05:35PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> One thing that would grate on me to see would be
> if Lazor comes in and completely revamps the
> outlook of the team.
>
> Then Philbin, playing politics will decide that
> the smart thing for him to do is to let this all
> be on Lazor.
>
> Then our offense will become successful. Up will
> step Philbin to BECOME THE BIGGEST LIAR IN THE
> WORLD and say that the success was all due to
> cooperation between Him and Lazor and that Lazor
> was willing to run the offense Sherman refused to
> run and that THOSE FACTORS EXPLAINS not only the
> success of 2014 BUT THE FAILURE of 2013.

Amazing how your crystal ball shows you exactly what you want to see.

Rick

Date: January 25, 2014 06:51PM

Posted by: Anemone1 ()
Date: January 26, 2014 02:44AM

So let me see if I've got this straight, ChyrenB:

If the Phins perform poorly this coming season, it's Philbin's fault.

If the Phins do well this season, it's because of Lazor, and Philbin will be the world's biggest liar for taking any credit for it.

Is that about right?

So you've put Philbin in the probervial "Catch-22" situation where no matter what happens this season he has no chance of you giving him any credit for a good coaching job. Well played!

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: January 26, 2014 11:08AM

Anemone1 Wrote:
> So let me see if I've got this straight, ChyrenB:
>
> If the Phins perform poorly this coming season,
> it's Philbin's fault.
>
> If the Phins do well this season, it's because of
> Lazor, and Philbin will be the world's biggest
> liar for taking any credit for it.
>
> Is that about right?
>
> So you've put Philbin in the probervial "Catch-22"
> situation where no matter what happens this season
> he has no chance of you giving him any credit for
> a good coaching job. Well played!

It's on Philbin no matter how well or poorly the Fins' offense is; he is the head coach, and the buck stops with him.

He can excuse himself all he wants indicating that he isn't the one who chooses the players, but he is still the guy directing everything.

BTW, I would find it hard to believe that Philbin has nothing to do with who the GM signs via draft, FA, or trade.

Date: January 26, 2014 11:20AM

Anemone, isn't the reverse position also a catch-22?

Think about it.

Philbin SUPPORTERS can also play it both ways.

If we are successful, then IT WAS ALL SHERMAN'S FAULT.

If we suck again next year, then it was that OUR PLAYERS SUCK and it was not Philbin's fault and our poor record with LAZOR just shows that the playcalling was not to blame.

Maybe what I'm doing, Anemone, is basically pointing out the fault of not doing an ENTIRE HOUSECLEANING and instead doing it in bits.

All again, Anemone, because of one thing.

Even as much as I hate Philbin, I hate Ross even more.

And with this cockeyed way of doing things, WE'RE NEVER GONNA FIND OUT WHO was to blame last year. Either way. That was my point.

I just only did one side of the equation.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.