HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Where will Satele be in 2009?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: March 08, 2009 10:46AM

Poll
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
18 votes were received.
Phins starting center 1

6%
Phins starting guard 5

28%
Phins backup lineman 6

33%
Traded 6

33%
Cut 0

0%

A few weeks ago Sparano spoke in vague terms about Satele's role in 2009.
"Samson's obviously a member of our football team right now. Whether or not he's our starting center? One of the things I think everyone of our players know on my team is that there's going to be competition at every position always. We feel that makes us better. If we don't have competition, and I don't care what the position is if you look at quarterback and see Chad Pennington's had a great year, but we drafted Chad Henne. He's a guy who'll always go out there and compete. That's why we drafted him. He has that kind of makeup. Chad Pennington has that kind of makeup. There's competition at every one of our positions right now. One thing that we know, and I'm sure every team in this league will say the same thing, is the 53 you had last year doesn't mean that's going to be the 53 you have this year. For us, it's going to be the right 53 again, and whatever happens, happens. Everybody's got to be ready to compete. If not, they don't belong on the Miami Dolphin team." - Miami Herald

Not long after that interview, the Phins signed Jake Grove.

Then in yesterday's Herald, we read this blurb:
"After adding Jake Grove, the Dolphins want Samson Satele to compete with Donald Thomas for the guard spot opposite Justin Smiley, barring a Satele trade."

So what is Satele's future with the Phins?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Where will Satele be in 2009?
Posted by: RW13 ()
Date: March 08, 2009 11:26AM

We need to have depth and he gives us that.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: March 08, 2009 01:43PM

Satele has more experience starting than Berger and almost as much as Grove in a shorter time frame. Neither of them are CLEARLY BETTER than Satele.

I think this is all about pushing guys to fight for starting jobs.

In theory last season starters Thomas, Smiley, and Satele could all be upgraded. Smiley was the best of the group, but he is far from Alan Faneca status.

Satele, IMO has the most Athletic ability of the 3, but he is lighter and shorter. If he doesn't hit the weight room and put on 10 solid pounds of muscle ( and maybe another 3-5 of fat) he will be on the outside looking in.

Smiley will start and get injured and then one of these 3 will replace him. I don't know if either of them will beat out Thomas if he is healthy. The Trifecta were high on this guy.

IN the end, we have enough OL personnel in place to play a season without too much drop-off....well unless one of the Tackles gets hurt.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: March 08, 2009 04:32PM

His competition is Berger, Grove and Smiley. None can probably go a full year without getting hurt and he is better than Berger who is a practice squad player who played in about 4 games as a reserve.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: March 08, 2009 04:56PM

Berger is only 26 (soon to be 27) so it's not like he is an old fart.

Also, the guys that signed Berger over in Dallas are the same guys that just signed him here in Miami. For whatever that is worth, they must see something they like in the guy.

Date: March 08, 2009 04:58PM

Yeah...they obviously see something that we don't in Grove and Berger. It seems like a potential FA flop like Wilford to me....only it will be because of injury not inability.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: March 08, 2009 05:58PM

Funny, there are all these pro-Satele posts, yet I'm not only one who thinks he'll be our starting Center next year.

Date: March 08, 2009 06:17PM

I don't hate him but I just don't think he fits with the power running game plan. I watched the 1st Jets game from last season today and he got pushed 5 yards into the backfield by Jenkins on almost every play.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 08, 2009 06:27PM

barring injury, the only way he starts at C over grove is if grove is a flat out bust. With the money we gave him, if he is not the starter than it was a horrible signing. So I think Grove starts, and hope he does and is plays up to his big contract.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: March 08, 2009 06:39PM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't hate him but I just don't think he fits
> with the power running game plan. I watched the
> 1st Jets game from last season today and he got
> pushed 5 yards into the backfield by Jenkins on
> almost every play.

That 1st Jet game was bad for nearly everyone on our team. New offensive and defensive schemes and too much new personnel. We hadn't gelled yet. If that game had been after the Bye, we definitely win. In fact, we SHOULD HAVE won that 1st game, but I'm not putting a lot of stake in it.

Berger and Grove are motivation for Satele. Now we have to see if it works. He needs to get bigger and stronger in the offseason. It's certainly not an impossible task. I'm putting my money on Satele for now.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 23, 2009 05:34PM

looks like 22% of us were right

Date: March 24, 2009 01:45AM

My choice was "traded".

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: March 24, 2009 02:42AM

thanks to the revoke button my choice is now correct.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.