HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Awful lot of underclassmen declaring
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Awful lot of underclassmen declaring
Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: January 12, 2014 07:18AM

Question for the CFB aficionados, first off, is it just me or is there alot more Juniors declaring this year than previous years?

And secondly, I'm sure not all of them are 1st rounders, but how many Juniors are considered top 20 picks (names please), even if they aren't in areas of need for Miami, they could be pushing better talent down to 19, or give us trade bait at 19 if the right guy falls to us. I realize settling on a GM and OC will dictate possible names for us in the draft, just curious how all of the early entries might affect us?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Awful lot of underclassmen declaring
Posted by: colonel ()
Date: January 13, 2014 05:52AM

I think you're right. Going for the gusto; screw getting an education. "Show me the money" going on.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: January 13, 2014 08:35AM

.oops

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2014 08:42AM by eesti.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: January 13, 2014 11:50AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Question for the CFB aficionados, first off, is it
> just me or is there alot more Juniors declaring
> this year than previous years?
>
> And secondly, I'm sure not all of them are 1st
> rounders, but how many Juniors are considered top
> 20 picks (names please), even if they aren't in
> areas of need for Miami, they could be pushing
> better talent down to 19, or give us trade bait at
> 19 if the right guy falls to us. I realize
> settling on a GM and OC will dictate possible
> names for us in the draft, just curious how all of
> the early entries might affect us?

I believe today I heard where there were 73 juniors who came out last year, and as of right now, there are 80 coming out this year.

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: January 13, 2014 12:52PM

increases the talent pool. Now if only we can benefit from getting draftees who will contribute this upcoming year.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: January 13, 2014 01:41PM

colonel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think you're right. Going for the gusto; screw
> getting an education. "Show me the money" going
> on.

For sure, some of that... But a lot feel pressure from their families who are struggling and need the financial help... Like the story of Maurkice Pouncey declaring, his Dad had got hurt, family was in debt struggling financially... So he went early and let Mike finish school... It is not all gusto in lots of the cases of early declaring... If I was in those shoes, my family needed help, I could go in first 3 rds and help my family, it would be hard not to help them.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 13, 2014 01:50PM

Come on guys. I don't know how many of you grew up in the 50's and 60's. At that point, colleges were opening up. Every once and awhile, some regular non-athlete kid would want to drop out of college (or not go) to pursue a entry level job. The old folks would say, "no, get that degree."

But of course, these jobs weren't offering millions of dollars that would ensure the financial security of not only the player but his whole immediate and extended family for generations to come.

I remember my law school roommate and I laughing even in the 70's about some guys saying what you guys are saying and it's like "You are remembering the rule but not the exception to the rule."

Sign and collect your millions.

And THEN WHEN YOU ULTIMATELY RETIRE from professional sports, you can always go back and get that degree.

Date: January 13, 2014 02:32PM

Hey for some athletes in college this is the only shot at making some money before a life of obscure jobs and baby making. I am stating the obvious by saying that they would rather leave now when healthy than risk an injury next year then thy have really no chance of all of being drafted .

Date: January 13, 2014 02:36PM

Correct, Finshady. And what you say has happened on many occasions. The guy goes back and suffers a career ending injury.

Hell, I've even seen it happen in a post season bowl between the senior year and the draft.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: January 13, 2014 03:43PM

Date: January 13, 2014 05:21PM

I wonder ho many of the players leaving early have children already that they have to take care of with any income, and why is it that they aren't smart enough to figure out the trap that being set for them by the children's mothers?

Date: January 13, 2014 06:00PM

Date: January 13, 2014 06:03PM

Ha, ha, ha, ha. You're funny Finshady. Athletes are not the only ones who think with the wrong head.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.