HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Need a new QB, OL, DL, RB
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Need a new QB, OL, DL, RB
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: December 30, 2013 05:40AM

KB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "The deep ball is only a small part of what a QB
> does." Maybe if all you're doing is looking at
> completion numbers. But when the THREAT of the
> deep ball isn't even hardly there....

RE: Because even the best QB's at throwing the deep ball are sucessfull at a rate of 20-30%. The best at it EVER are only sucessfull at a rate of about 40%.

The threat of a deep ball is there with RT, he did have 10 plays of 40 yards + this season. Peyton Manning only ad 12. Very similar numbers.

Sure RT has struggled to hit deep balls with more regularity and that is something he should work on extensively during the off season along with all of our WR's...they should be throwing and catching at least 100 passes, and working on routes each day during the off season as a group on their own.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: marcsbros ()
Date: December 30, 2013 07:42AM

Dont need a QB..Tannehill will be a very good QB with the right coaching (how about asking Marino to spare a month or two in the off season to go through it with him).

Offensive line is the priority,a tackle and guard in the first 3 rounds surely.

Defensive lineman in the free agency would be a good move.

I would look at a RB only in free agency and not waste a draft pic,along with a wide receiver.

One of my main concerns is linebacker in all honesty.We have Phillip "i had a half decent season in Oakland so i must be good" Wheeler,who is poor...Danelle "me,and Ray Lewis,s shadow,walking down the avenue" who is average at best...and Koa "ill play this week but not every week" Mistake, who ive never rated while hes been here.

Why not look at an olb in say the 3rd round to split playing time with Wheelbarrow and make Dion Jordan an olb and let Mistletoe go to free agency.

Just a thought.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: December 30, 2013 07:52AM

So in our transition to a more athletic zone blocking offense, Ireland brings in....

McKinnie and Clabo AND leaves John Jerry in place at RG and Incog (who should be a RG) stays at LG!

McKinnie is humungous and Clabo never played in zone. Hmmmmm....

The funny part is they ALL probably would have played better in a man-blocking scheme.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: December 30, 2013 07:53AM

I think the first thing Ryan needs is a new QB coach and new OC.

One thing a dude like Gruden can do is coach QBs. And in the N F L that's 50% of the winning formula.

Thill has a nice athletic package and has shown the ability to make plays. He obviously needs more rounded development and missed his best targets as they went down by injury. But not many QBs would have excelled given the overall circumstances Thill was in for the most part of the year.

I'd love to see John Gruden take the plan over -- even if he has to have some "GM" power. As long as we can put together a winning org that can scout, evaluate and develop talent.

John Gruden would sure add some excitement and mojo to the org. That's for sure.

BNF.

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: December 30, 2013 11:12AM

Yeah we watched with horror so what good coaches can win with crap. Belecheat would of dominated with this roster no doubt about that.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 30, 2013 11:20AM

Hire Chuckie.

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: December 30, 2013 11:23AM

I like Mike Nolan, and he was screwed by this team.

Posted by: Dolphacolyte ()
Date: December 30, 2013 12:44PM

New QB coach needed. Ryan has a solid touch. Got to work on his speed control when throwing. Yes, I know the OL has a role providing for that to work. It's call protection. Unfortunately, this year they did not show. Forgot the # of sacks they allowed. The fact is his receivers are of the short stature. Even 6 foot 2 doesn't caught it in these league. Said it before, say it again: Wallace is a Jockey size WR. Six Five and over is what the team needs. Welcome to the Calvin's Megatrons size copies.

Date: December 30, 2013 01:03PM

dolfan1 Wrote:
> God, hate to say it, Tanny just isn't it....so I
> concur. Flush everyone start over.

God damn. Maybe I just need to take another vacation from this place for a while. How long did it take to find a decent QB? He is out best since Marino. The Oline blow's. receiver's drop more passes then they make. OC Is NOT putting him in a place to succeed. Don't blame this on the Kid.

This admin needs to go. I'd give Philbin one more shot if he agrees to clean house. New GM . Should be done this week at the latest. Bye Bye Irlend. Hire a New one and then Hire from there.

Because we have a great prospect in Tannehill we should get much better prospects. That's the hardest part. Finding our Franchise QB. The kid is the goods.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 30, 2013 01:20PM

Treasure, he is the best since Marino because the intervening QBs were grades C, D, and F.

Tanny is a B minus that will always be a B minus.

I was a believer until the Jets game.

I didn't EVEN THINK THAT after the "Blowout in Buffalo".

But the Jets game taught me Tanny just doesn't have it.

My only reservation is that he might be better in a different scheme. But playing to those strengths he has might dominate games but sooner or later you are going to be in a position where you have to throw the long ball.

Of course, the long ball is a low percentage pass even for the Mannings and Rodgers but the reality of the situation is that Tanny simply CAN'T throw the long ball so his percentage will be under 5% whereas Brees, etc. will have percentages in the 30% or better range.

We need to draft competition. Not saying that we do a first rounder unless Bret Hundley or Johnny Football are staring us in the face but it is probably time to look in the second round or third round for someone to be behind him on the bench instead of Matt Moore.

Matt Moore is obviously regarded only as a back up. Tanny needs to be pushed.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: December 30, 2013 02:27PM

Ken Wrote:
> Chyren, I never said wasen't part of the problem
> because its obvious that every single player on
> the team is part of the problem. But you simply
> can't place the blame at RT's feet (as some here
> are doing) without taking into account the much
> larger issues of our pathetic O-Line.
>
> RT does not need to be replaced...his play simply
> does not warrant that.

RT is a good QB, one that any team would want, but....if there is a superstar QB right there for the taking, then that's what needs to be done. Every position (including GM and coaches) needs to be evaluated; if a position can be improved, then that's what needs to be done. No one on this team is untouchable!

Date: December 30, 2013 02:31PM

Ken Wrote:
> jlyell13 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Bad pocket awareness, inability to regularly
> > complete pass 20+ yds.
> > those are some major issues in the NFL. I see
> some
> > promise but he has had 2 years to improve and
> > hasn't shown he can make the big plays
> >
> > Some of todays passes to open receivers were
> > horrible
> >
> > have to draft someone to push him
>
> RE: I have no problem with pushing him...but not
> by using a high pick. We have other, much bigger
> issues.

That's for sure!

Date: December 30, 2013 02:37PM

eesti Wrote:
> Did you people really expect a 2nd year QB to
> carry this entire team on his back all season with
> a folding defense and invisible offensive line?
>
> And we need a new defensive line? and not LB'ers?
> drinking smiley
>
> Did you actually watch our stud MLB get run over
> by a QB?

I don't think we need a new DL, but we need at least one ILB (he has to be a super stud). If we can't get him, then hopefully another year under Ellerbe's and Wheeler's belts will get them straight.

I would also add in there at least one CB. I wasn't impressed by what our guys showed, with the exception of Grimes.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: December 30, 2013 02:51PM

The DLine is fine and I think Wheeler and Ellerbe will be better next year after a year w/ the team. Some people are screaming about those 2 but the defense had us in every game this year except the Saints. If we make at lb I would draft a MLB and move Ellerbe to the strong side. That we give us speed at both outside spots. Its amazing that some folks are saying Misi is our best lb. I see that guy standing alone after so many plays are over its amazing.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: December 30, 2013 05:42PM

stating that Misi is our best QB is not exactly a ringing endorsement. He is our best because the other two SUCK!

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: December 30, 2013 06:07PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> > Tanny is a B minus that will always be a B minus.
>
>

Behind that oline and the ground game? How many Passes were dropped ? 1 st down perfect passes?

You surprise me Chyrene. You should know better. You need to put your players in position to succeed. That's why we need new coaches.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 30, 2013 06:28PM

I think he's deadly accurate within 20 yards. Plus he gets the ball there at warp speed.

But when he has to rainbow the ball, he simply does not know how.

As I have long advocated, Treasure, maybe if you roll him out constantly, then his efficacy will change but sorry, as a pocket QB, he demonstrated in the Jets game when he had plenty of time that he was incapable of being anything but a B quarterback.

Other B quarterbacks, IN MY OPINION, are Matty Ryan, Carson Palmer, Jay Cutler, Andy Dalton, Kyle Orton, and Matthew Stafford.

Tanny will be in THAT CLASS and does not have the potential to be a Rodgers, Brees, Mannings, Luck, Brady, Rothelisberger, and Rivers, who are, in my opinion, A class quarterbacks.

Flacco is somewhere between the two either A- or B+.

Now God deliver me from the stat geeks that will come along and argue one guy or the other doesn't belong in one class or that Tanny has better stats than one of the QBs I have put in the A class.

Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: December 30, 2013 06:29PM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
> This admin needs to go. I'd give Philbin one more
> shot if he agrees to clean house. New GM . Should
> be done this week at the latest. Bye Bye Irlend.
> Hire a New one and then Hire from there.
>
> Because we have a great prospect in Tannehill we
> should get much better prospects. That's the
> hardest part. Finding our Franchise QB. The kid is
> the goods.

So, you're in favor of firing the GM that found your franchise QB??
"That's the hardest part." I thought.

Posted by: FinFanNo1 ()
Date: December 31, 2013 01:17PM

I want:
Ireland gone.
New talented faces on the offensive line.
Significant improvement in Tannehill.
Resign Starks.
Resign Grimes.
The list goes on and on...

There are multiple areas of concern in many other positions, especially when you consider the number of free agents the team has. Brutal schedule next year too.

Realistically, next year is going to be an uphill battle. It will be difficult to get better (record wise). I would be putting together more of a two or maybe even a three year plan if I were Ross because next year could be tough.... But I would need to see development from key positions early on.... Especially at QB.

In this league... The QB is the most important position. You can't live with mediocre performance from you QB. Right now, we have a mediocre QB play. We are hoping he will get better. It's got to get significantly better.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: December 31, 2013 01:39PM

RT got markedly better from 2012 to 2013...there is every reason to expect him to once again get better in 2014.

We had top 10 in the league QB play...and I expect us to have top 5-8 next season.

Date: December 31, 2013 02:04PM

Ken, you're absolutely RIGHT!

He did get much better in 2013 than 2012.

However, he leveled off then and I don't think he'll get better in 2014.

Even in the Jets game for which I came to my sad conclusion about him, I just loved his sidearm deadly missile when he throws in the 15 yard range.

Unfortunately his inability to judge speed and adjust his throw vertically on the deep ball in that same Jets game made me think, "This kid just can't throw the deep ball."

I wish you guys could just have seen the deep ball that Bret Hundley threw today in the Bowl game. I mean it was a thing of beauty.

Posted by: FinFanNo1 ()
Date: December 31, 2013 05:24PM

"We had top 10 in the league QB play...and I expect us to have top 5-8 next season."

What are you guys talking about? Maybe I'm reading it wrong or something but, according to the NFL, Ryan Tannehill is 34th in the league in QB rating this year. (He was 47th last year, so I guess that is sort of an improvement... Ugh).

Date: December 31, 2013 05:33PM

Like I said, Tanny has turned out to be a class B QB. Probably like Matty Ryan. He can win some games. And given the fact that we have absolutely no running game, he has to carry our offense and hasn't done a bad job of it at that. However, if you guys think you have found our Peyton Manning, you're wrong.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: December 31, 2013 07:25PM

FinFan01 Resign Starks? He did nothing after holding out. Should have signed when his stock was high

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: January 01, 2014 05:02AM

I say let the dts walk, draft one and sign a vet FA.

Grimes is a must re-sign. Let carroll walk and get your 2nd and 3rd rounders from last year on the field. Clemons can walk too.

the oline is a wreck aside from pouncy. that needs to be rebuilt through both the draft, fa and a new oline coach.

draft a qb in the later rounds that has a chance to push tannehill. moore will be gone after next year and devlin is crap.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: January 01, 2014 06:13AM

Devlin is Philbin's personal pet project.

He's gone only if Philbin is gone.

My opinion. Of course.

Date: January 01, 2014 09:55AM

Date: January 07, 2014 09:35AM

Thanks, Net Nanny. I'll spell it out more clearly next time.

FYI, you can't let players under contract walk...you cut them. you let FAs walk.

Date: January 07, 2014 09:42AM

Date: January 07, 2014 09:49AM

I thought solia and starks were both underwhelming. sure the lbs sucked out loud but too many times the guards were getting to the second level.

I thought solia was a fa? if not then keep him and let starks walk. I think odrick is in his final year and can hold his own. aside from that you get a vet dt for the rotation.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.