HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Sherman was clueless and has to go!
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Sherman was clueless and has to go!
Posted by: steviec13 ()
Date: December 23, 2013 04:41PM

I'll give him one more game but here are my observations from the buffalo game.

1) the Miami defense played well enough to win..I believe that one of the scores was due to going for it on 4th down inside our 30...
2) Mike Sherman called a horrible game. He gave up on the run against a team that has the best pass rush in the league.they are mediocre against the run. In the late 3rd quarter, and early 4th when they were dialing up corner blitzes on every down, they should of tried a few exotic screen plays!
I am not an offensive coordinator, but it is only logical that a screen pass will work if you get caught in a blitz....the bills d-linemen never had to worry about getting caught on a screen, as we NEVER tried one!

This was the most important game of the year, and Sherman did not know,how to adjust to their defensive scheme! It is scary that this dude is calling the offensive plays! How could he not try a couple of screens!

Sherman must be fired! He is a horrible off. Coordinator !

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sherman was clueless and has to go!
Date: December 23, 2013 05:38PM

No doubt out of his league.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 23, 2013 05:39PM

If you knew all this, Stevie, and thought about it at the time, then isn't the head coach disturbed on the sidelines and scratching his head???

Assuming, of course, there was no consultation with the OC before the game as to the right game plan. Cause if there was such consultation.....

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: December 24, 2013 02:23AM

thumbs up Very valid points Stevie and CB.

Posted by: Anemone1 ()
Date: December 24, 2013 03:38AM

You're all right. We should have kept running the ball at our 1.8 YPC so Tannehill would have to pass on third and long every series. As I remember, this was JJ's strategy when Marino was quarterback, and it sure worked out well - run the ball even when you can't, and hope the QB can bail you out on 3rd and long.

Date: December 24, 2013 11:15AM

On Anemone1, we could do what we do and that is to send Tanny back in the pocket to sit and try to figure out complex defenses thrown at him and pass defenses with deceptive wrinkles on traditional ones and while he is in the process of trying to figure that out, the best pass rushing defense in the NFL wades through the worst pass PROTECTING offensive in the NFL and his butt is sacked, sacked, sacked....which is what happened.

How'd that work out for us?

But it's not just runs. It's screen passes that weren't tried.

I KNOW THAT YOU KNOW that the screen pass is the cure for a ferocious pass rush like an aspirin is for a headache.

Moreover, the quick read option. Get Tanny out of the pocket and on the run.

Oh...but I forgot....we don't want to get him hurt.....LIKE HE GOT HURT in the pocket.

Date: December 24, 2013 12:11PM

Chyren,

I get the feeling that Sherman calls the shots on the offense...although Philbin is the head coach, Sherman historically has always been above philbin..in this case, I think that it is Sherman calling the offensive shots...not philbin..

Sherman must go!

You are 100% correct! Why no screen passes?
The cure to a ferocious pass rush is SCREENS!

If the second level misses one tackle and gets caught on a blitz, you are looking at a long gain or a sure TD!

Oddly, Sherman historically in green bay called many screens...why did he not call one in the second half is truly puzzling!

Let's see how this week plays out!

Stevie

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: December 24, 2013 12:24PM

"I KNOW THAT YOU KNOW that the screen pass is the cure for a ferocious pass rush like an aspirin is for a headache."

Not always. In this case:

Both tackles are in your backfield on every play. Tannehill was getting hit regularly on THREE-STEP drops. The o-line was getting beaten so badly your running backs need to be kept in to block. If they try screens, T-hill doesn't even get those passes off.

Rick

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: December 24, 2013 12:26PM

I'm not a Sherman fan, but this game wasn't his fault. NOBODY executed even the simplest play. Kind of limits your options.

Rick

Date: December 24, 2013 12:32PM

Rick,

Sorry, but you can even do a tight end screen.... It only takes a second or two..and they are toast..

How would we know if they didn't even try it?

Having two rb in...one to block and the second to screen was another option...

Sherman was a fool to not even try ...

Stevie

Date: December 24, 2013 12:50PM

Agree with you on your response to Rick Stevie. As far as Sherman always being over Philbin, that's a decent theory. It may be true. I don't know. I never thought so but I don't know. Philbin seems pretty stubborn to me but I don't know the man so I can't say. He also seems to be enamored with his job as the "Boss" but what can you tell from appearances.

All I will say is that traditionally, the head coach would be blamed for the performance of the team from A to Z and that is from Arizona and Atlanta to Washington or in college, from Alabama to Xavier.

Posted by: Sickofit+1 ()
Date: December 25, 2013 04:39AM

When they knew our cadence you get seven sacks you dominate. Sherman yet again is the sole reason we lost Sunday.

Posted by: chatafkup ()
Date: December 25, 2013 05:50AM

Time to take him out to the pasture and.....

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 25, 2013 05:55AM

The only way to loosen up the pass rush was to complete some deep passes, as our WRs were repeatedly able to get the D behind them. That first completion by Moore was a good start, but that horrible short pass behind Clay ended all our momentum and, pretty much, put a nail in our coffin for the game. Tanny tried a long pass to Wallace, and, again, I feel Wallace didn't really try that hard to get it.

The problem with long passes, though, is if you miss it's a wasted down.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: December 25, 2013 06:23AM

maybe i should've posted it on this thread---if philbin stays he ain't firing his buddy sherman

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: December 25, 2013 06:50AM

Posted by: jrhammerjr ()
Date: December 25, 2013 08:00AM

It's like Al Golden and his defensive coordinator at the U. There bffs and no ones leaving unless they both go.

Date: December 25, 2013 08:20AM

Then fire both of them.

Date: December 25, 2013 08:44AM

Agreed.

Sherman has to go.. And if philbin doesn't want to fire him, then they both have to go. That is where mr. Ross has to step in.

Although we had a good season, we have been plagued with numerous puzzling offensive play calls.

Why would you not use a qb sneak more often on 4th and inches?

Several times this year Sherman called a fade pass play, on 4th and 1...I can remember at least 3 separate occasions that this happened.

Sherman has a chance to redeem himself this weekend...somehow, I am doubtful that he will be successful...however, throughout the year the phins have bounced back from a bad loss..let's see how it goes today.

Stevie

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: December 26, 2013 12:45AM

Our problems are IMHO...in this order.

1. No O-Line. EVERYTHINGg starts and stops here. You can't pass, run or excecute on offense without one. Ours isn't very good and limited by Martin and Incognito not being there as well as Clabo being to be kind mostly auful.

2. Inconsistent pass rush...we simply don't put nearly enough pressure of opposing quarterbacks for the quality of our front seven.

3. Poor excecution by our players on both sides of the ball. If players don't make plays and/or drop the ball etc. there isn't a lot the coaches can do about it...we simply don't have the depth to take Wallace, Clay, or Hartline off of the field.

4. Too many sacks. (see #1)

5. No running game more often than not. (again see #1)

6. Lackluster LB play.

7. Injuries. Yes I know every team has them but we've lost key players we have not been able to fully replace. (Gibson and
Patterson) This has hurt us quite a bit on both sides of the ball.

8. Inconsistent playcalling at times, ineffective game plans at times, combined with an almost complete lack of effective in game adjustments.

9. Defense that goes into a shell too often...the unit just dissapears too often.

All of this equals an ineffective offense that limits oppotunities, coupled by a defense that either dissapears outright (???) or gets left on the field too long (tired).

Frankly with all of these issues I'm amazed we've played as well as we have this season...to have all of those serious issues and still be in every game with the exception of last week, and the second half against the Saints is nothing short of miraculous.

I'm not much of a Sherman fan so far...but I think the staff should be kept intact, and then we add playmakers (O and D), and O-Line, O-Line, O-Line, O-Line in the off season.

I just see the roster as having too much talent to scrap everything just for the sake of starting over with someone new.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: December 26, 2013 02:32AM

Good post Ken.

It is all about our O-line.

What I find amazing is that we controlled our own playoff destiny with 2 weeks left in the season, all with one of the 3 or 4 WORST Olines in the league if not the worst.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: December 26, 2013 04:04AM

Why were the Dolphins so ill-prepared for the Bills. Why didn't someone on the field see that Tannehill's cadence was cueing the Defense rather than surprising them? Why were there adjustments made to counter the hard rush?

If you have a poor strategy and it isn't working, you move to plan B or C. The Dolphins continued to do the same things with no apparent adjustments being called.

The failure on the part of the team was from top down. Waiting for a break through miracle to happen when efforts fail repeatedly is not on the players but on the leaders who insist things be done a certain way.

Major fault lies with the HC and his team of assistants.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: December 26, 2013 04:44AM

I agree with you Colonel and not with Ken who would leave the coaching staff intact.
I doubt Jim Turner will survive the bullygate fiasco, nor should he. I have read that he is know to have used "loud, insulting, profanity laced" language directed at Jonathan Martin. Imagine that, in an NFL locker room. That, coupled with the fact that he is the architect of the worst o-line in the history of the Federation.
No valid argument could be made to retain him in his present capacity.

The Clown Show Continues

-

Date: December 26, 2013 06:12AM

New coaches. If your oline sucks then counter it with different plays. Not utilizing talent, and enforcing your way is the top problem. You either squeeze the lemon for all the juice or just throw it in the water as is. What would work better?

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: December 26, 2013 06:55AM

By the way SICKO-fit, thanks for the Christmas present.
I was a bit reluctant to send out my address but, glad I did.
I was expecting maybe a fruit basket but, a Rolex Oyster?? From a guy begging for an airplane ticket?
I thought maybe it might be one of those Chinese fakos but, when the guy at the pawn shop offered me 3,000. I knew I had found a new friend. You must be one of those reclusive billionaires that loves to toy with us regular folk. Hell, you might be Ross himself for all I know. I'm just curious how many people sent their addresses and, if everybody got the same thing.
See you at the game.

The Clown Show Continues

-

Date: December 26, 2013 07:23AM

Anytime Hooligan times 2.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: December 26, 2013 09:36AM

I agree with berk that JP will never fire Sherman, that might be a good thing for RT17's growth at this point, but at the very least Philbin needs to put his foot down on certain things or override Sherman on game plans (unless it's Philbin who is the problem?) Ross needs to let Ireland/Philbin/Sherman know that they are on a short leash next year and things need to change.
I have a theory that Sherman isn't as clueless as some think around here and the O-line is holding back some of his game plans. Hopefully that gets fixed in the off-season and he proves me right next year.

Posted by: phinsfan402 ()
Date: December 26, 2013 10:21AM

Ken Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Our problems are IMHO...in this order.
>
> 1. No O-Line. EVERYTHINGg starts and stops here.
> You can't pass, run or excecute on offense without
> one. Ours isn't very good and limited by Martin
> and Incognito not being there as well as Clabo
> being to be kind mostly auful.
>
> 2. Inconsistent pass rush...we simply don't put
> nearly enough pressure of opposing quarterbacks
> for the quality of our front seven.
>
> 3. Poor excecution by our players on both sides of
> the ball. If players don't make plays and/or drop
> the ball etc. there isn't a lot the coaches can do
> about it...we simply don't have the depth to take
> Wallace, Clay, or Hartline off of the field.
>
> 4. Too many sacks. (see #1)
>
> 5. No running game more often than not. (again see
> #1)
>
> 6. Lackluster LB play.
>
> 7. Injuries. Yes I know every team has them but
> we've lost key players we have not been able to
> fully replace. (Gibson and
> Patterson) This has hurt us quite a bit on both
> sides of the ball.
>
> 8. Inconsistent playcalling at times, ineffective
> game plans at times, combined with an almost
> complete lack of effective in game adjustments.
>
> 9. Defense that goes into a shell too often...the
> unit just dissapears too often.
>
> All of this equals an ineffective offense that
> limits oppotunities, coupled by a defense that
> either dissapears outright (???) or gets left on
> the field too long (tired).
>
> Frankly with all of these issues I'm amazed we've
> played as well as we have this season...to have
> all of those serious issues and still be in every
> game with the exception of last week, and the
> second half against the Saints is nothing short of
> miraculous.
>
> I'm not much of a Sherman fan so far...but I think
> the staff should be kept intact, and then we add
> playmakers (O and D), and O-Line, O-Line, O-Line,
> O-Line in the off season.
>
> I just see the roster as having too much talent to
> scrap everything just for the sake of starting
> over with someone new.

This post pretty much sums everything up.

Philbin has earned another year at the helm but if he wants to ride or die with Sherman then they both need to be let go if it doesn't work out.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: December 26, 2013 10:42AM

what about the idea that Sherman is actually bad for RT---look how much better A and M's offense was after Sherman got fired, and how much better Manzeil played under that system than RT did under Sherman's
Maybe a new coordinator would be a good thing for RT

Posted by: KB ()
Date: December 26, 2013 12:09PM

Question. If our O-Line isn't good enough to beat the Bills, how'd it beat the Bengals and Pats, two of the top 3 seeds in the AFC playoffs it looks like, in the last few weeks. This game was a TOTAL pooch-screw on all fronts. They ONLY problem that can be blamed for a debacle of this magnitude is TOTAL LACK OF PREPARATION and game planning. Jeez.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2013 12:17PM by KB.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.