HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Free Agency winners and losers...
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Free Agency winners and losers...
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: March 02, 2009 06:13AM

I don't know what Denver is thinking...

First they turn the reigns over to Josh McDaniels who I think was a water boy a few years ago.

Then they let it leak that they are trying to trade Cutler and then don't get Cassel.

They overspend for two former Dolphins, Hill and Goodman, who are on the backside of their careers at 31 years old.

They sign Brian Dawkins who is 36 years old, to a 5 year 17 mil contract.

They signed injury prone Correll Buckhalter and 3rd down back JJ Arrington who hasn't done much at all to their stale of underachieving RB's.

They signed back up quality players like WR Jabar Gafney and LB Andre Davis.

I would be surprised if they managed to win 8 games this year. Glad we don't have to live with those kind of bone headed moves any more.

Also, the Cowboys are replacing Zach Thomas with Kieth Brooking? Huh? This makes no sense....and also signed two QB's from Detroit of all places and let Chris Canty go to division rival NY.

Don't even get me started on Washington....If these kind of moves are all it takes to be a GM...sign me up.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Free Agency winners and losers...
Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: March 02, 2009 01:44PM

Agree on Denver.

Disagree on Dallas. Zach is finished. Brooking is 10X the player Zach is at this point in time. Not even close.

Canty is big but not a good 3-4 DE. He has no pass rushing ability and is so-so vs the run. He's just very tall. That's about it.

Dallas got better with their moves.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: March 02, 2009 03:12PM

Denver is screwed. They were successful because of a system and Head Coach who was similar to BP in that he set the tone & the expectations and no-one questioned it.

Josh can not play 'tough coach' with these guys, he is not a Mike Singletary,and they will not work 100% out of fear. Their system will change, their environement will change.

Now, how well they draft? who knows, we shall see.

The Cowboys? they are screwed too. Bill Parcells drafted and signed and implemented the system, and resisted Jerry Jones meddling as much as possible.

Wade is a patsy or whatever you call a guy who is willing to take the money & the job knowing full well that he will do what he's told. jerry Jones is a close to being HC & GM as any owner has ever been. Worse than Al Davis. Bill's foundation is now hitting free agency and they will crumble within 2 seasons.

Date: March 02, 2009 03:28PM

You are kidding right?

Brooking was released because he is not the player he once was and because he has gotten considerably slower in the past year. He is 2 years younger than Zach. He WAS a great LB'er but not so much now.

He had 102 tackles and NO sacks, Zach had 94 and 1 sack. That's 8 tackles difference and Zach played in two less games. 10x the player? Exaggerate much?

Canty was the top 3-4 DE on the market. I am not saying he is all that but he was the best available....his job, as is every 3-4 DE...is to stop the run and that is what he does. Not to many 3-4 ends, outside of Richard Seymour, offer much of a pass rush but he did have 3 sacks. Aaron Smith is probably the 2nd best 3-4 DE (next to Seymour) in the game and he had 5.5 sacks.

Dallas regressed because now they have no DE and they have to play Canty twice a year. Brooking will get about the same production as Zach did but probably less because he doesn't have a decent End to keep blockers off him....and they have no 1st round pick.

.....................................................................................

Date: March 02, 2009 06:25PM

Zach like always, stockpiled a bunch of tackles.......about 8 yards down the field.

Yeah great, he got a tackle. And the opponent almost got a 1st down. Typical Zach Thomas. Dallas was on national tv damn near every week, saw them alot. Nothing has changed with Zach. Same ole Zach.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: March 03, 2009 02:54AM

You are a crackhead Mike. You shouldnt come on our board and talk about one of the greatest Dolphins to ever play.

Your analysis is horrid and you have no idea what you are talking about. ZT is one of the greatest LB's in the history of the NFL.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: March 03, 2009 04:45AM

Look at the numbers Einstein, Zach and Ray are the best LB's in the NFL over the last 12 years.

Why don't you be a man and reveal what your true agenda is? What team are you trolling for?

Like we don't know you are a Jets fan. I guess I can't blame you for looking elsewhere since NY doesn't have a clue and thinks they can buy a division title. Don't be a hater because the Jets have never had a HOF MLB. You would just trade him if you ever got one anyway.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: March 03, 2009 06:34AM

I hate to do this...but... Mike is right about Zach. he may have exaggerated it a bit, but, most of Zach's tackles occur behind him.

He reads he steps up, he engages, he gets knocked/dragged back, and brings the guy down.

When he was younger he had Timbo and Gardner taking on the OL and the OLB's funneling the RB to him, and he was able to knife through the traffic and drop the guy for a loss. It has been a long time since zach made a tackle in the backfield or at the LOS.

That said, his read and react is so fast that he still contributes. He just can't 'dominate' anymore.

Date: March 03, 2009 06:37AM

call me names all ya want. make up fairytales in your head about me being a Jets fan. Whatever....... fact is....I'm right!!! Zach was, has, and never will be in the class of Ray Lewis. If you think he is, well I don't know what to tell ya.

Padding "tackle" stats doesn't mean you are a top flight MLB. Ray Lewis is a first ballot hall of fame MLB. Zach Thomas won't get into the hall of fame.....EVER!! Nuff said. That proves my entire point.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: March 03, 2009 07:36AM

MikeO Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Zach Thomas won't get into the hall of
> fame.....EVER!! Nuff said. That proves my entire
> point.

???? proves WHAT??? Zach is still playing. He can't get into the HoF until he retires. There's no proof here.

Date: March 03, 2009 08:01AM

Troll. Absolute Troll.

---------------------

Date: March 03, 2009 08:13AM

look we can debate this till we are blue in the face. You ain't changing my mind. And I'm clearly not changing yours..... But Zach Thomas isn't going to the hall of fame. Ray Lewis is.

Zach Thomas was NOT a great MLB in the NFL. He was a good MLB. That isn't a knock on him.

Posted by: tboneabbott ()
Date: March 03, 2009 08:42AM

Mikeo you are wrong. Zach Thomas was a great MLB for many years.He also is a class act!!!!

The couple season that Ray Lewis didnt have Haloi Ngati eating up block for him he wasnt half the player he is supposed to be either.

When Zach had Tim Bowens he was better than Ray Lewis.

---------------------

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()

Date: March 03, 2009 08:44AM

Zach was as good if not better than Ray. But where Ray has seperated himself is the high level of play for a little bit longer of time......but once again, Ray needs to thank Haloi Ngati for alot of that.

---------------------

Date: March 03, 2009 09:20AM

realist Wrote:
> I hate to do this...but... Mike is right about
> Zach. he may have exaggerated it a bit, but, most
> of Zach's tackles occur behind him.

Where is your proof of this?

> He reads he steps up, he engages, he gets
> knocked/dragged back, and brings the guy down.
>
> When he was younger he had Timbo and Gardner
> taking on the OL and the OLB's funneling the RB to
> him, and he was able to knife through the traffic
> and drop the guy for a loss. It has been a long
> time since zach made a tackle in the backfield or
> at the LOS.

A long time ? I guess if you consider going back to December 18th of 08 a long time.

1st and 10 at NYG 10 (10:46) D.Ward right guard to NYG 10 for no gain (Z.Thomas).

> That said, his read and react is so fast that he
> still contributes. He just can't 'dominate'
> anymore.

A 3-4 ILB is never going to get as many tackles as a 4-3 MLB because they are asked to stack and shed against Guards more often. That is not what made him famous.

He is in his 13th year so of course he is not the same player he was 5 years ago. Neither is Ray Lewis. The point here is the Jets fan is trying to convince everyone that Zach sucks and always has and your are sticking up for him. Good job. I expect the nonsense from that joker and won't even bother to waste my time with him again but you want to give him credence and lump yourself in with him...go ahead.

I don't know what the hell a padded tackle stat is but it sounds like nonsense to me. The fact is Zach played for a defense that quit on their coach at mid season and one that has a below average NT, an average DE and one good DE.

One thing I do know is he he grabbed 11 tackles in the last game before the bye week and then the Genius...Wade Phillips decides to bench him and use him less.

He was also playing a position where Bradie James is set up to make the plays but he still managed to finish the season as the second leading tackler and he also had three games with double digit tackles but that was before things went to crap in Dallas. Put him behind the Williams guys in Minnesota and watch him out tackle everyone around at 36 years old.

Date: March 04, 2009 06:30AM

The Jets depth chart.....

LE Shaun Ellis
NT Kris Jenkins
RE Kenyon Coleman

SOLB Bryan Thomas
SILB Bart Scott
WILB David Harris
WOLB Calvin Pace

SCB Darrell Revis
WCB Lito Sheppard
SS Kerry Rhodes
FS Jim Leonhard

The questions I have are...

Will Leonard be moved to Free Safety as current FS, Kerry Rhodes is 6'3 220 lbs and JL is 5'8 186...but does he have the coverage ability and closing speed with a 4.58 40.

How will Rex Ryan switch up Gholston, Pace and Bryan Thomas. He has stated that Gholston could be great as he grows into a Terrell Suggs type of role. Suggs was misused in his first couple of seasons in Baltimore and then came on strong. So would they move Pace to SOLB and insert Gholston at the WOLB "Elephant" position?

That defense is as good as it gets...on paper. With Ryan as coach, they have a chance to be a top 3-5 defense. If they were to draft a player like Tyson Jackson to play RDE instead of Coleman....look out.

It is a good thing we are beefing up the O-line because we will need it. I hope Grove can handle Jenkins at NT. Sheppard and Revis covering Ginn and Camarillo leaves Leonhard free to make plays....not good. We have to get a threat at WR...now!

The only saving grace is their situation at QB and lack of a true number 1 WR. Bradford or Sanchez could fall to them at 17. They won't be a threat for a few years though. They will also have their choice of WR's ahead of us...Nicks, Bey etc.

They re-tooled their O-line and RB's last year so they are set once they pick up a few pieces....QB, WR and future replacement for RB Thomas.

The AFC is is going to be tough this year. We could also be facing Brian Arakpo next year in Buffalo...or some other blue chipper.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2009 06:40AM by eesti.

Date: March 04, 2009 09:14AM

Ryan is already using the word "violent" and "aggressive". And the word "violent" has actually raised eyebrows in the league offices and in the NY media. People affraid what he is going to be preaching to his team. Tactics and all. So, the refs might be quick with the personal foul penalties on the Jets next year. Rex already raising red flags.

Jets will win a lot of 13-9 games. They don't have a QB on their roster and don't want to bring in a vet. They want to go with Ratlif as their starter. They have no WR's to speak of. Jets won't give up a lot of points, but they won't score any either.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: March 04, 2009 11:32AM

Irrespective of the penalty implications, I hope that the Jets are not quick to adopt his violent and aggressive philosophy and mentality. They comprise 1/3 of what I thought made the Ravens D so freakin' good. Another 1/3 is talent and, at least on paper, the Jets seem to have that, too. Finally, the Ravens D had chemistry, teamwork and trust. My hope is that the Jets can't achieve those to the same degree quickly. If they are able to, every team in the AFC East is going to be in a nasty dogfight every time they play the Jets.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 04, 2009 11:41AM

MikeO Wrote:
> Zach like always, stockpiled a bunch of
> tackles.......about 8 yards down the field.
>

And he stockpile a bunch of tackles 2-3 yards in the backfield as well.

Any dolphin fan would tell you zach in his prime was equally as good as ray lewis in his prime..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.