HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Cassell traded to Chiefs
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Cassell traded to Chiefs
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 28, 2009 08:31AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cassell traded to Chiefs
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 28, 2009 08:44AM

I don't care if they trade their number one. I say saddle the Pats with a rookie with a bloated contract.

Excellent news for us. Brady is not the QB he once was, and I've got a feeling that the Cheaters will be hitting the self destruct button some time midseason when they realize they don't have a worthwhile backup.

Another point - how many still think Cassell is a "system" QB? I know its hard to admit, because we hated the guy when he was at NE, but Pioli has gotten a very good look at the guy and is willing to trade a high draft pick and saddle himself with a questionable contract situation. Tells me that Cassell is the real deal and the Patriots are in panic mode because they don't have much depth, and don't want to have a QB controversy with big head Tom back in town.

The Patriot implosion continues.

Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: February 28, 2009 08:58AM

I think the jury is still out on how effective Brady will be. I think he'll be fine, and that they were smart to keep him.
The Pats will probably trade the #3 overall pick to avoid the salary cap hit, and stockpile more draft picks.
Hate to say it, but it looks like a great deal for the Pats.
Basically traded a 7th rounder for a #3 overall pick.

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: February 28, 2009 09:13AM

I dont need to wait to hear what was done I already know. Yes I can gaurantee that it was a first rounder (likely 2010) + addition pick(s) 2011. Now like they did with the 49ers the pats will have another great year next year (10-13) wins and get a top 8 pick from the chiefs who will struggle.

The pats are masters of minipulating the draft and like the steelers they build through the draft and build up players which they then trade off for high draft picks (ie samuels, he was what a 3rd 4th round pick and what did they get for him, also troy brown). I hate them just talking about it.

Date: February 28, 2009 09:21AM

WOW, the reppa stands corrected, I think I saw it was only a second rounder and I think that was for cassle and vrabel. WOW, that is great for the chiefs. I thought they got rapped.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 28, 2009 10:33AM

I heard that several GM's around the league think Cassel is one of the top 5 QB's in the league.

All these moves keep changing the draft by the day.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: February 28, 2009 10:41AM

The Pats got a 2nd rounder for a guy they couldn't afford to keep and that was going to be a backup (Cassel) and an aging LB. They also freed up all that cap space.

I'm not convinced Cassel is any better than Thigpen. All of Cassel's success came out of the shotgun. Will the Chiefs run that style of offense?

Date: February 28, 2009 10:51AM

They kept Chan Gailey so they will run a combination of his offense with tweaks by Todd Haley's.

.....................................................................................

Date: February 28, 2009 01:26PM

very suprised NE only got a 2d and gave up vrabel to boot. if wanny and speilman were still running the show here, no doubt we'd have given up a 1st rounder and then some.

Posted by: grooves12 ()
Date: February 28, 2009 02:20PM

Im as big a Dolphin fan as anyone... but you have to be wearing Aqua-tinted glasses to be grasping at straws and trying to say Tom Brady is not the QB he once was.

According to what?? An injury that will have little effect on a QB's play??

Because the last season we saw him healthy he put up one of the best performances as a QB in the history of the NFL, shattered the regular season TD pass record, led the team to an undefeated regular season and to the Super Bowl.

Trust me, I don't think the Pats are all twisted up about letting Cassel go and being "stuck" with Tom Brady.

(I'm willing to bet there are at least 25 teams in the league that would trade their starter and a #1 pick to get Tom Brady on their team... I know I would if I was the Dolphins GM.)

Posted by: dgoodhue ()
Date: February 28, 2009 10:37PM

Northeast Fin Fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Pats got a 2nd rounder for a guy they couldn't
> afford to keep and that was going to be a backup
> (Cassel) and an aging LB. They also freed up all
> that cap space.

I am shocked (and happy) they got so little for Cassel. All the local fans thought they were going to get atleast a 1 and 2 for him. It tells me, that there isn't the demand for him and his contract as the analyst thought their was.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2009 10:41PM by dgoodhue.

Date: March 01, 2009 02:49AM

Pats fans were hoping for a huge heist. They wanted to get all the gold in Fort Knox. Instead they were only able to clean out the vault at the local bank.

Keeping Cassel would have crippled the Pats' ability to make offseason moves. Instead they got a top of the 2nd round pick and freed up enough cap space to make several more additions. All this for a guy who was going to sit on the bench anyway and Vrabel who is on the downside of his career. Not to mention the fact that many observers think that Cassel is a system QB who only had success out of the shotgun formation.

I would have preferred the Pats get stuck with Cassel's huge salary.

Date: March 01, 2009 04:58AM

I think it was a great move on the Chiefs part. To get a starting QB for a 2nd and conditional pick next year. Cassel will be a good QB for them. I am not believing the system QB stuff any more. Now they have Cassel, Larry Johnson, Tony Gonzales and Dwayne Bowe.

They will still have their choice of a future starters...

Eugen Monroe: Branden Albert's former teammate. They can move Albert over to RT and let EM take the left spot.

Michael Crabtree: An explosive play maker opposite Bowe

Aaron Curry: Franchise LB'er who can play any LB position

BJ Raji: They are converting to a 3-4. This would allow them to move Glenn Dorsey outside to end in the 3-4 and give them a true NT.

Not a bag group to choose from but I would choose Crabtree or Raji. Pioli has a history of going after D-lineman.

Date: March 01, 2009 05:51AM

i thought it was just a 2d--where'd you hear about the conditional pick? that would make more sense--if cassell lights it up they'd give another pick in the 2d round range

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: March 01, 2009 05:57AM

Yeah, I havent heard about any conditional picks either.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: March 01, 2009 06:48AM

Seeing as how Brady went through his first five seasons not injured, and then it takes him a year to recover from surgery that should have take 4 months, then yes - he's not the QB he once was.

Also, I beg to differ on the fact that the injury would not effect his play. It did effect his play in the Super Bowl.

Fact is, Brady will be older and slower. He certainly will be out of "football shape", and training camp may be a long one for him. And I think it will play out that Brady won't be the same as he was, and he will be far more injury prone. And if he gets injured, the Patsies are done.

Date: March 01, 2009 06:51AM

Date: March 01, 2009 07:01AM

I may have been confused with the conditional pick the Eagles got for Lito Sheppard.

Date: March 01, 2009 07:28AM

Date: March 01, 2009 08:27AM

THE REPPA wrote:
--------------------

>In closing you are similar to a moron boarderline imbecile and I am surprise that you can use a computer well enough to find this site...

OOHHHH reppa did you have to burn him like that... you know ghotirule is not on your level.smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2009 08:32AM by Miami Reppa.

Date: March 01, 2009 08:52AM

the more I think about this, the more I think NE really got hosed in this deal. only getting 2D rounder for a guy who threw 3700 21/11 last year in his first pro action? think about what guys like Schaub got, for less action and worse performance. multiple 2d rounders. hell even AJ feeley got a 2d for the 5 games he played the prior year (OK bad example). rob johnson, career backup got a 1st rounder (#10 overall I think) many years ago.
AND they threw in Vrabel?

maybe pioli was 100% of the brains of NE--now he's gone and they are back to their old retarded ways.

or maybe this is a hush payment to pioli to keep him from spilling all the dirty things the Bellicheat did over the years? just a thought....

Date: March 01, 2009 09:20AM

Well in the examples you gave those players were under contract. Cassel was really a FA who got a franchise tag for a year. Infact the tag was so expensive NE would have gotten screwed if they kept both him a brady. Give the situation I think they made out like a bandit since 1) I would question if cassel is worthy of a high end 2round pick, 2) I dont think cassel is 14+ million in one year better than thigpen, 3) NE was desperate and I am sure could have been worked down to a 4-5 th maybe lower draft pick. In the end (barring the crazy salary) I think KC may have come out slighly ahead but for NE situation they got did very well (IMO) since the #34 pick is basically a low end first round pick for a guy with no real credentials.

Date: March 01, 2009 12:15PM

Bottom line - I don't care if the Chiefs got a deal. I question whether or not they did. Is Cassel (who can only work out of the shotgun) better than Thigpen? I am not sure. I just wanted the Pats to be stuck with Cassel's big salary. I am sure the Pats don't feel ripped off.

Date: March 01, 2009 02:21PM

I think it is ironic that the team that acquired cassel is the same team that gave him the opportunity to play (chiefs knocked out brady for the year)

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: March 01, 2009 02:23PM

NE won huge on this deal. Cassell still is only signed to a 1 year deal since he was franchised. Then he becomes an RFA. There is nothing that keeps KC from keeping him beyond 2 years. KC might have just rented a player for 2 years and gave up a high 2nd round draft pick to boot.

The Pats pulled off another fast one. Gotta give them credit!

Date: March 01, 2009 02:43PM

The part that sucks is that now NE picks before us twice. I hate em.

You know what would really suck? ahemmm...Brady gets hurt again and they have no QB this year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2009 02:47PM by eesti.

Date: March 01, 2009 04:03PM

eesti Wrote:
> The part that sucks is that now NE picks before us
> twice. I hate em.
>
> You know what would really suck? ahemmm...Brady
> gets hurt again and they have no QB this year.

lol... i guess this time they would get it right and turn either oconnel or gutierrez into a first rounder.

Date: March 01, 2009 04:13PM

Unbelievable....They take a 6th and 7th round college backups and turn them into franchise QB's.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: March 01, 2009 04:53PM

eesti Wrote:
> Unbelievable....They take a 6th and 7th round
> college backups and turn them into franchise QB's.

A lot of QBs would have looked good in that offense, but it still wasn't enough to take a team that went undefeated in the regular season the year before into the playoffs!

Date: March 01, 2009 05:58PM

eesti Wrote:
> Unbelievable....They take a 6th and 7th round
> college backups and turn them into franchise QB's.

yeah and if cassle was still under contract no question they get a first rounder plus for him. They had to come down on the price since they were in a desperate situation.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.