HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Safety signed
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Safety signed
Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: February 26, 2009 03:20AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Safety signed
Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: February 26, 2009 03:38AM

Bell and Wilson both play SS, which probably means Bell is gone. Wilson is 4 years younger; and despite Bell's great year last year, Wilson was more productive (more tackles, more sacks, more fumble recoveries and more interceptions). I don't think we are going to see this management team invest much money in guys who are over 30.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2009 03:41AM by Northeast Fin Fan.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: February 26, 2009 03:50AM

This is awesome!

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: February 26, 2009 03:59AM

Man im pumped....we needed a good Safety!!

---------------------

Posted by: Saint 55 ()
Date: February 26, 2009 04:14AM

Long as Culver plays next to Wilson I'm all smiles =)

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: February 26, 2009 04:51AM

Wilson signing makes it less of an issue.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 26, 2009 05:08AM

I guess they didn't want to commit to a player that is over 30 and is injury prone. He was drafted in 03 at the age of 25 or 26.

Wilson was drafted a year later (04) and has almost twice the numbers Bell has. He is the same height, 5 lbs heavier and 3 years younger.

Gibril Wilson, 489 tackles,7.5 sacks,13 Ints,1 safety,23 Pass Def,7 ff, 6 reoveries,
Yeremiah Bell, 240 tackles,6 sacks,1 Int,26 pass def,

The most notable stat is the fact that Bell has only 1 career interception. I did not realize that. Bell also has more pass defenses with less opportunities.

Good luck to him. He will provide some team a very good safety if he can stay healthy.

I wonder if they would resign Bell and move one of them to free safety?

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: NJ Dolfan ()
Date: February 26, 2009 05:24AM

I am still holding out hope that they resign Bell and move him over to FS, but I think that is just my heart talking. My head tells me he is movng on.

I think we resign Hill to a cap friendly, short term contract and draft a FS to take over for him. The coaches did credit Hill for his communication in the secondary.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: February 26, 2009 05:34AM

I thought F/A didn't start till 12:00am fri morning, how did we pull this one off without it being tampering?

Date: February 26, 2009 05:50AM

He was not under contract because he was released. Other players do not become UFA's until midnight.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: February 26, 2009 05:50AM

Wilson was cut by the Raiders. He was not an end-of-contract RFA or UFA. A player that is cut can sign with a new team at any time.

Date: February 26, 2009 05:56AM

NJ Dolfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am still holding out hope that they resign Bell
> and move him over to FS, but I think that is just
> my heart talking. My head tells me he is movng
> on.
>
> I think we resign Hill to a cap friendly, short
> term contract and draft a FS to take over for him.
> The coaches did credit Hill for his communication
> in the secondary.

I think the Dolphins may be looking at Rashad Johnson, FS from Alabama. He is a very smart player. As Charles Davis said about him at the combine..."the thing I love about him is the entire defense didn't do anything without checking with him first if they had any question what to do" (paraphrasing).

The was the part Sparano liked about Hill. He had the knowledge, just not great athletic ability.

Now I am intrigued to see if they do resign Bell and which one plays where. That would give us two play makers at safety.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 26, 2009 06:21AM

I know we're only a few weeks in, but its starting to look like another great offseason.

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: February 26, 2009 06:42AM

man I really liked bell, 120 total tackles 100 individual- from a safety that something

I dont know the numbers but I am sure that for the amount we spent on wilson vs bell the difference in production will not be reflected (if that makes any sense). In otherwords, wilson was signed to the raiders for about 6 mill per year, i am sure we could have kept bell for 1 to 1.5 mill per. Now the difference is skills will not be worth 4-5 mill per year. I think we could have saved money and kept bell and put a ball hawkin FS over top of him. Bell does not have great ball skills but he is a monster tackler and I believe we could had kept him at basement prices.

I really like wilson who not only can tackle as well but has great ball skills, if we can afford it and still go after 1 or 2 more quality FA and sign our draft picks I guess im all in...

Date: February 26, 2009 06:48AM

I am betting on Bell at SS and Wilson at FS. Bell will get a 2 year 6 mil deal.

Posted by: NJ Dolfan ()
Date: February 26, 2009 07:00AM

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: February 26, 2009 07:33AM

eesti Wrote:
> I am betting on Bell at SS and Wilson at FS. Bell
> will get a 2 year 6 mil deal.

wow I just posted this thought on the bell topic... You know the saying, great minds think like the reppa grinning smiley

I am always looking at things from the players perspective but for management getting gibril before settling things with bell is very smart. If they give him the impression that they dont need him as much since they have gibril they can shave a little cream off the top. But the reality is with bells production I dont see how they let him walk.

Gibril at the FS and Bell at the SS, damn these guys know what they are doing... go fish.

Posted by: miamifann ()
Date: February 26, 2009 07:38AM

I like this a lot..

Date: February 26, 2009 09:35AM

Just think if we added Bryant McFadden to the mix. Bell, Wilson, Allen & McFadden.

I seriously doubt we are going to get Jason Brown, so we might as well.

Then we could concentrate on WR, LB and NT or just take the best player available in the draft.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: February 26, 2009 10:06AM

awesome awesome! AWWW YEAH.

Posted by: Westcoastphinfan ()
Date: February 26, 2009 11:55AM

Yeremiah Bell has been re-signed, $20 million contract, 4 years, $10 million guaranteed! He will be strong safety, Wilson will be free safety and maybe that leaves Renaldo Hill out of the picture?

I am very happy to have retained Bell.

See Mando's column on Miamiherald.com

Date: February 26, 2009 12:01PM

Are you Mando?

---------------------

Posted by: Westcoastphinfan ()
Date: February 26, 2009 12:03PM

no i am not.
i just spend way too much time on my computer following my football team.

Date: February 26, 2009 12:04PM

LOL...I do too.

---------------------

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 26, 2009 02:47PM

eesti Wrote:
> I am betting on Bell at SS and Wilson at FS. Bell
> will get a 2 year 6 mil deal.

BINGO!!

Date: February 26, 2009 07:17PM

Check this out from phinsider....This is our FREE Safety who is also better in coverage than Yeremiah Bell.

According to our individual defense stats, Gibril Wilson made 87 run plays this season (i.e. tackles or assists). That ranks seventh in the entire league -- D'Qwell Jackson of Cleveland was first with 106 -- but more importantly, the gap between Wilson and the rest of the league's safeties is colossal. Lawyer Milloy and Yeremiah Bell tied for second among safeties with just 58 run plays each. That would rank 45th among all defensive players. Not only that, but Wilson made his average run play after a gain of 4.7 yards, which is two yards closer than the average safety.

I currently have individual defense stats figured back to 1999, and Wilson ends up with more run plays than any safety in the database. The previous record was 86 run plays by Pat Tillman in 2000. Of course, Tillman was making his average play after a gain of 7.7 yards, which is a bit different from Wilson.

Date: February 27, 2009 02:36AM

Just when I didn't think I could be more excited for the draft and upcoming season...This Wilson kid is a great player and now we have two head hunters in the secondary. They are going to tear peoples heads off next year. I can just see Moss alligator arming it next year. Teams will think twice before going over the middle against us!

Next year we face...

Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Antonio Bryant, Lee Evans, Moss & Welker, Santonio Holmes & Hines Ward, Roddy White, Steve Smith & Chris Chambers.

Not to mention...

Thomas Jones & Leon Washington, Marshawn Lynch, Jones Drew, Michael Turner, Chris Johnson, Deangelo Williams & Sproles and Tomlinson...

and whatever offensive talent the Jets, Bills and Pats draft this year.

Date: February 27, 2009 02:58AM

The Patsies are going to sign Fred Taylor

---------------------

Date: February 27, 2009 03:00AM

Does not scare me...he is still good but not that good.

Date: February 27, 2009 03:03AM

Im with you.

---------------------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.