HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          The big picture........
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
The big picture........
Date: September 01, 2021 01:21PM

Its no secret now the Dolphins were actively looking into trading for Deshaun Watson.

Basically the Texans want too much and nobody wants to give what they are asking. Especially with all the legal troubles circling Watson. 23 Civil suits....10 criminal complaints and a FBI investigation.

I seriously never thought it would happen. We drafted TUA just a year ago and he hasn't played bad at all. I laughed when all the trade talks went down. But it got serious this week. Flores never once shut it down. He did say this week..."Tua Tagovailoa is our quarterback" Finally.

With the question of whether the Dolphins will trade for Watson becoming a distraction, Flores had to put out the fire. He reportedly did so with his players yesterday, and he did so with the media today.

But “Tua is our quarterback” isn’t “Tua will be our quarterback all season” or even “We won’t trade for Deshaun Watson.” While at this point it looks like the two teams won’t be getting together on a trade in the immediate future, things can and do change at any time. The Texans over paid for Tunsil and want those picks back. If not for that Watson would be a Dolphin and TUA would be learning Spanish as well as the Texans playbook.

The Big picture is this. What does it say about TUA when they were willing to trade him on the Eve of the regular season!? I mean it was discussed. The only thing stopping it was compensation of draft picks. I'm sure teams thought about it , talked about it , but to get where the media was , and for the Dolphins staff not to deny it for over a week.....it was dangerously close to happening.

There is doubt about TUA. There is no doubt about it . He is Miami's plan B. I'm pulling for him but he needs to come out and shake this or else.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The big picture........
Date: September 02, 2021 10:17AM

“Yes. I don’t know if I can be more clear,” Flores said. “I don’t know how many times ... I don’t know how much more clear I can be here. Tua is the starter. I mean, if I need to say it again, I will.”

Coach Flores Sept 2, 2021.

The problem coach is you never said you Were not interested in Deshaun Watson. You never said you didn't offer TUA up in a Trade. The big picture is you tried to trade him and couldn't.

A big part of me is glad , but as a fan I'm really concerned about the doubts surrounding TUA , his injury history . I guess that other part of me is glad your willing to always make this team better, but didn't over spend to accomplish it.

The whole thing is just eye opening from many perspectives.

Flash back to December 2006, and awfully similar words were said by then-coach Nick Saban when he was asked about rumors he might be headed to the University of Alabama.

"I don't know how many times I've got to respond to rumor and innuendo," Saban said back then. "I have no control over that. I've stated what my intentions are and they really haven't changed, so I don't know what the issue is."

Saban then declared, "I'm not going to be the Alabama coach," which is exactly what he became a couple of weeks later.

Tua WILL BE the Dolphins' Week 1 starter — barring some unforeseen circumstances (such as illness or injury).

Furthermore, Tua could end up being the starter for a very long time if he makes a big jump in 2021, the kind of jump that so many of his supporters are suggesting is inevitable.

And if he does make that jump, and it becomes clear sooner rather than later that he's clearly on his way to becoming a bona fide franchise quarterback, then maybe all this talk of the Dolphins being interested in Deshaun Watson will end.

But we're not at that stage yet, which is why the reports keep coming about the Dolphins interest.

That followed the report suggesting that owner Stephen Ross "really wants" Watson, which a source has confirmed to us is absolutely accurate.

But there has been no Watson trade yet, and it's entirely possible there will be no Watson trade at all in 2021.

It truly is a situation unlike any other in NFL history.

But while, again, it's entirely possible — if not probable — that the Dolphins won't make a trade for Watson, but the fact that they were willing g.....with picks and TUA in hand is concerning. Only TUA himself can change that and I'm pulling for him.

As they prepare for their opener against New England, Tagovailoa is the quarterback, so it absolutely, positively made perfect sense to come out in full support this week ......but what other choice do they have?

“You guys know this, I don’t really get into conversations I have with the team, players," Flores said. "Those conversations are private. Like I’ve said before, I think it’s just common courtesy to keep those conversations between myself and the player or the team. I will say that Tua is our quarterback. I think he’s had a good training camp. I think he’s made a lot of progress. I think he’s made a lot of improvement and we’re pleased with where he is. He’s going through his preparations for New England the way he should be, and that’s where we are as a team.”

But none of that says HES THE GUY WE WANT. It says he's the guy we are stuck with.

Sorry that's the big picture as I see it. I hope TUA himself changes it and doesn't confirm it.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: September 02, 2021 01:50PM

Was wondering if there's definitive proof that the Phins were looking to pull off a trade right now? I recall Charles Robinson reporting that the Dolphins were the front-runner and challenging the team to say they weren't trying to trade for him...but nothing truly definitive. If I were Grier or Flores, I wouldn't have taken the bait.

If it is true that they tried to trade for him, I don't think it's as indicting on Tua nearly as much as it is recognition of what Watson brings to the field. When this whole thing started months ago, I mentioned that there are only a small handful of teams that legitimately shouldn't kick the tires on what it would take to acquire Watson - and we were not among them. Assuming he can put legal issues behind him, I still see it this way. I really like Tua and am pulling for him, but Watson's better and certainly more proven right now. My understanding is that Watson's leverage of having the no-trade clause plays into it and he has said he prefers the Dolphins.

I don't mind if the Phins talked to the Texans about trading for him...I don't mind that they haven't come to an agreement...I don't think it's an indictment on Tua, but he also hasn't earned the right to be anywhere near untouchable in this scenario. I don't know how you make a deal with so many massive variables, but that shouldn't necessarily preclude you from talking about it.

Date: September 02, 2021 03:13PM

Very good points above. The perspective being "Nothing Wrong with TUA." He's a Camaro with a sweet V-8 but Deshaun is more of a Z34 Corvette. We looked into a trade but the Texans want us to pay Lamborghini prices for the Corvette And guess what? It may be stolen , it's being investigated.

The only thing that bothers me is.....why isn't the Texans interested in TUA? If I was the Texans GM I'd be all over that trade. 2 first rounders...get rid of a huge headache and distraction and a 1st round QB with amazing potential.

They are either the worst run franchise in the NFL (which shows why deshaun wants out so badly) or they know something we don't about TUA.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: September 03, 2021 03:48AM

I don't think they know anything about Tua that we don't know, just rather pick their own guy with a first rounder than settle for somebody else's guy.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 03, 2021 04:18AM

Too much baggage. NO to watson.

Date: September 03, 2021 06:55AM

Hooligan2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't think they know anything about Tua that we
> don't know, just rather pick their own guy with a
> first rounder than settle for somebody else's guy.

AND...we provide a few first rounders with the trade to do just that. PLUS a kid with more trade value or potential to be their guy. Since no one else is banging the door down and because Deshaun holds all the cards and wants to come here.....they are either complete morons who over paid us for a lineman and now wants payback or they are seriously a very poor run franchise.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: September 03, 2021 06:57AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Too much baggage. NO to watson.

I agree. But dang for a while I thought it was going to happen. Mr. Ross wants to WIN. He just bought and paid for the best training facility in the world. I really thought this was happening. Whew.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 03, 2021 07:07AM

Flres is making all the right moves he a good coach. Imagine if we morgage the house for watson?..and it doesnt work out.

There goes flores vareer out the window.

Just imagine if we had the superstar we needed in tua. And we trade tua.

Such longtime waiting and we throw out the window what we currently have.

I say live or die with tua.

Hes should huge flashes of greatness...he starts games 8 for 8 ect shows a curacy. Dont mess it up flores.

Date: September 03, 2021 07:44AM

I think if Watson came here it would be lights out. BUT like I've been telling you exustedly for years .....a superstar Stud QB is not all it takes to win. Takes a team.

We have already done well rebuilding and really are just a few pieces away from really competing.

So Im not concerned with giving up 3 #1s. We really don't need much except depth on defense and most of the offense.

But the salary cap numbers are getting tight.....thankfully Grant stepped up and restructured. Affording Watson would be tough , and he's got some serious legal issues. My gut tells me he's going to be fine , couple of payouts and hopefully he will learn like Rothesberger did. But you never know .

Having superstar means not being able to sign others to ultimately win.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: September 03, 2021 08:48AM

It wouldn't be fair to not give Tua a year to show what he's got. If we don't sniff the play-offs due to average QB play, I envision a move on Watson some time in January but, certainly before the draft.

Date: September 03, 2021 09:53AM

Hooligan2 Wrote:
> It wouldn't be fair to not give Tua a year to show
> what he's got. If we don't sniff the play-offs due
> to average QB play, I envision a move on Watson
> some time in January but, certainly before the
> draft.

Oh no doubt. TUA has had a rough last 2 yrs. If anything this kind of a struggle builds even more character and helps you not take things for granted. BUT as someone else said here (I forget sorry) TUA hasn't earned any loyalty points here yet. Its not like Miami is out shopping for a new QB. He deserves a chance to compete for sure but Mr. Ross has spent Billions on this team. He wants to WIN not just make money.....a player like Watson comes around only once in a lifetime so it was worth discussing and looking into it.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: September 06, 2021 12:02PM

Miami, all along, believed in Tua...."Tank for Tua." There was talk of Miami moving up in the draft to make sure they got Tua. Didn't have to...he fell into their lap.

The Miami brass knew what they were getting in Tua....Bad injury that hadn't yet healed; doesn't have a cannon arm, but was very accurate at Alabama, and a very smart player. Didn't have an off season with his teammates (Covid). Wasn't ready to start when Flores made the switch; didn't wow anyone, but didn't stink up the place, either.

So, after all that, they are going to bring in Watson and move Tua?

If that happens, it will mean very poor planning for the folks who make the decisions.

I don't see it happening.

Date: September 06, 2021 12:12PM

Good points. And I agree.....so when it heated up like it did and Flores and the brass said nothing I was like........ this is being talked about and might actually happen! Ross wanted it, it was confirmed. But the Texans are really morons. They could have had a bunch of picks, a player with potential and be done with it. Now they have to pay him 10 million to sit and might end up with nothing.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.